Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly. Consumers are overloaded and have the attention span of a gnat (if that). Very rarely will they go seeking for something since we are now conditioned to have it thrown at us

sigpic
    www.savecarsonbeckett.com
    Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenner8675309 View Post
      Exactly. Consumers are overloaded and have the attention span of a gnat (if that). Very rarely will they go seeking for something since we are now conditioned to have it thrown at us
      Whoa whoa, let's not insult the gnats here! I happen to know they can be pretty tenacious. but the constant schedule shuffling makes people give up. I've given up on several shows cuz of that.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        Whoa whoa, let's not insult the gnats here! I happen to know they can be pretty tenacious. but the constant schedule shuffling makes people give up. I've given up on several shows cuz of that.
        It's sad when people like Jenner have to bring their specism out in the open like that. Those poor gnats.
        *shakes head sadly*

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa

You're talking to someone who has to deal with said "gnats" attention span in her line of business. Its true, the average person gives you about 3 seconds to make an impression now. No offense to gnats! Of course there are exceptions (like prion), but sadly thats how overloaded we are as a society.

sigpic
          Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

Based on that Gero interview GW just put up I don't understand why the SG ptb can't relay that message to SciFi. If the actual makers of the show say that in our positions they'd be downloading the episodes instead of watching them on TV, why has SciFi been waiting MONTHS to give us already produced episodes?

As it is, SciFi broadcasts in the poorest signal quality that can be considered television (480i), so even if the eps did air at the same time they became available for illegal/legal download, many would opt to wait the few hours and download it in digital (480p, roughly double the signal quality) or even HD which is offered in other countries (720p to 1080i, which can't even be compared to SciFi's 480i).

But when illegal/legal downloading not only provides a dramatically better picture (on an action show where picture quality does matter), but also the same content MONTHS earlier, why would anyone wait to watch it on SciFi?

Since SciFi Fridays will have to compete with the better written Monk/Psych block even if they wait until late September, why the wait? They are at least 3/4 done with production, why not begin airing early September?
            sigpic
            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
              Based on that Gero interview GW just put up I don't understand why the SG ptb can't relay that message to SciFi. If the actual makers of the show say that in our positions they'd be downloading the episodes instead of watching them on TV, why has SciFi been waiting MONTHS to give us already produced episodes?

As it is, SciFi broadcasts in the poorest signal quality that can be considered television (480i), so even if the eps did air at the same time they became available for illegal/legal download, many would opt to wait the few hours and download it in digital (480p, roughly double the signal quality) or even HD which is offered in other countries (720p to 1080i, which can't even be compared to SciFi's 480i).

But when illegal/legal downloading not only provides a dramatically better picture (on an action show where picture quality does matter), but also the same content MONTHS earlier, why would anyone wait to watch it on SciFi?

Since SciFi Fridays will have to compete with the better written Monk/Psych block even if they wait until late September, why the wait? They are at least 3/4 done with production, why not begin airing early September?
              Yes, scifi has sucky broadcast signals, except for DOCTOR WHO, which comes in clear. The rest, blech.

What kills me is that I open up the Best Buy (or Circuit City) circular yesterday and they're already selling FLASH GORDON on DVD. I mean, the pilot just aired on Friday and you can buy it the next day?? We have to wait months if not years for SGA DVDs. bangs head on keyboard.

Comment

When will season 4 air? Well let me see. At the moment we are up to 200 in Sg1 season 10. Then they will play SGA S3, then maybe, maybe, maybe, hopefully SGA S4 after that. Australian tv is shamefull with Stargate. I am VERY grateful for the internet.
                Janet
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132
                  LOL I thought I was going crazy when I saw 15-7-2007 I was like there are only 12 months, I guess some people write it differently. I write date mm/dd/yyyy.
                  Genealogists use that type of date system as well, but they usually write out the name of the month. It's easier to read when the numbers are on different sides of the month.

Originally posted by bcfc
                  Maybe thats Scfi's plan so they dont have to give us a Season Five
                  If you watched the Comic-Con video on the Sci-Fi web site, the chick from Sci-Fi seemed pretty determined to watch it sink. She stated rather emphatically that if we (the viewers) didn't start watching it when it aired (as opposed to downloading it) to bring the numbers up, Atlantis was going the way of SG-1. She had quite an attitude about it. Didn't seem like she had any love for the fans.

Originally posted by prion
                  Because they could make money; they've offered video on demand on other shows, but the gates seem to be the lesser shows in regards to PR. They stuck a full page ad for EUREKA on the back cover of E.W. - they've never done that for SGA and I thinks pigs will fly before SGA graces the backcover, or a full page ad, in EW.
                  I say we put our own frickin' full page ad on the backcover of EW and see if it makes any difference. We could probably come up with a better hook to get people to watch it. After all, who knows the product better than its fans? With all this broo-ha-ha about 2012, there should be some way for us to say don't be afraid of the future, we're already there - join us. Ok, maybe I'm not the best person to offer a good reason for watching Atlantis, but I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there who are.

Comment

10pm Fridays
                    SCifi- SGA season 4
                    Competing against:
                    ABC – Men in Trees
                    CBS – Numbers
                    NBC – Las Vegas

Their lead-ins are:
                    9pm Fridays
                    ABC – Women’s murder club (new)
                    CBS – Moonlight (new)
                    NBC – Friday Night Lights

It’s tough to tell what the competition will do. The 9pm shows aren’t particularly strong; Moonlight is a retread of Forever Knight without the angst, it seems (the ads aren’t very enticing); Friday Night Lights is a critical darling and a good series, but isn’t a hit yet. Women’s Murder Club just sounds dreadful so I have no idea.

Meanwhile, Las Vegas is going into its fifth season and is a sturdy show for NBC. I’m annoyed they’re putting it against SGA as I watch both shows! They’ve got some cast changes. James Caan is departing while Tom Selleck is joining. Men in Trees is a ‘chick’ show so probably won’t compete for audience, but Numbers is geeky enough there could be competition.

Comment

Anyone have any idea when season four will air in Canada on Movie Central?

Thanks!
                      Reveling in my multi-shipper happy place...and drooling over Sheppard.

My SG-1 Fanfic (Atlantis fic coming soon)

Comment

It premiers on October 1st on The Movie Network. I don't know about Movie Central though.

Of course, I could've just mixed them up.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                          10pm Fridays
                          SCifi- SGA season 4
                          Competing against:
                          ABC – Men in Trees
                          CBS – Numbers
                          NBC – Las Vegas

Their lead-ins are:
                          9pm Fridays
                          ABC – Women’s murder club (new)
                          CBS – Moonlight (new)
                          NBC – Friday Night Lights

It’s tough to tell what the competition will do. The 9pm shows aren’t particularly strong; Moonlight is a retread of Forever Knight without the angst, it seems (the ads aren’t very enticing); Friday Night Lights is a critical darling and a good series, but isn’t a hit yet. Women’s Murder Club just sounds dreadful so I have no idea.

Meanwhile, Las Vegas is going into its fifth season and is a sturdy show for NBC. I’m annoyed they’re putting it against SGA as I watch both shows! They’ve got some cast changes. James Caan is departing while Tom Selleck is joining. Men in Trees is a ‘chick’ show so probably won’t compete for audience, but Numbers is geeky enough there could be competition.
                          Good list, but what about Psych & Monk?

Psych S1 vs. Atlantis S3, well Psych had my HD-DVR's priority. Since Psych replays throughout the weekend, I'll probably give Atlantis S4 priority in my HD-DVR, but in all honesty I enjoy watching Psych more-so than Atlantis.

The only thing Atlantis has on its side is our loyalty to it, and the fact that its more of a serial, where we can't miss an episode and still know what's going on. But when I'm looking for consistently good writing, Atlantis is on the bottom of my favorite shows list. Those 8/20 GREAT Atlantis eps per season make up for the poor ones, but...
                          sigpic
                          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                            Good list, but what about Psych & Monk?

Psych S1 vs. Atlantis S3, well Psych had my HD-DVR's priority. Since Psych replays throughout the weekend, I'll probably give Atlantis S4 priority in my HD-DVR, but in all honesty I enjoy watching Psych more-so than Atlantis.

The only thing Atlantis has on its side is our loyalty to it, and the fact that its more of a serial, where we can't miss an episode and still know what's going on. But when I'm looking for consistently good writing, Atlantis is on the bottom of my favorite shows list. Those 8/20 GREAT Atlantis eps per season make up for the poor ones, but...
                            Pysch and Monk should be done airing their seasons by then. At least historically they've wound up before the networks begin bombarding the airwaves with soon-to-die shows.

I do agree that SGA could have better writing. It's the characters/actors who draw many fans back. We overlook some bad scripting cuz of the characters, but that's fans. Viewers tend to go 'meh' and change the channel...

Comment

While Numbers and Vegas are sturdy shows, both of them have an established fan base by now. Sure there might be cross-overs, but with Atlantis going on its fourth year I doubt that they will lose viewers TO those shows. Of course there are numerous reasons why I show gets renewed, but as far as the aspect of competition going during air time, I'm not worried for that.

sigpic
                              Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenner8675309 View Post
                                Sunday nights are big TV nights. SCI FI is already risking rating by the Sept start and by not taking a hiatus (thats what Gero said he thought was going to happen in his interview). They are going to be battling the big networks shows, like Sunday Night Football, Desperate Housewives and Family Guy and whatever ABC throw up (last year it was Cold Case). Its dangerous to move a show around too much, thats how a lot of shows get canceled. They get bumped around by a network trying to get better ratings, when then regular viewers cant find it or get tired of trying to follow the bouncing show.

I'm no TV exec, but I think Fridays at 10 is a good slot for them.
                                But the 18-24 age group that would be the main audience for this show aren't home Friday night. Any night Mon-Thurs would be better.
                                Cream Cheese, the people's cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X