Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Asurans really Replicators? (spoiler)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
    Watch The Real World again. Don't ask me how the Asurans managed to delay an offensive against the Wraith indefinitely, though.
    If the Asurans were programmed to attack the Wraith, then they definitely would have done so by now. Its more of an instinct thing for their nanites. As basic nanites, yes, they are programmed to respond aggressively to the Wraith. Doesn't mean that's all they want to do. Now if the Wraith were in close proximity to the Asurans, they probably would be aggressive towards them.
    Last edited by Ltcolshepjumper; 28 February 2007, 01:01 PM.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
      They're called human-form replicators. THe characters say it on the show, so do hte producers. If it talks like a replicator, replicates like a replicator, chances are pretty very strong it is a replicator. They're replicators, and wel,l they're an overdone villain. I'd like to see the Wraith - a galaxy-wide scourge - be given more development. "Common Ground" opened up some interesting tidbits which I hope to heck the producers have the memory to follow up on.
      Thank you so much!! I agree with you 100 percent. I think the reps are so over done that if would be borring to have them on all the time. The wraith are the most interesting and I want to see more of them. Not sure about the new race yet that is getting introduced. The wraith will always be number one with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
        If the Asurans were programmed to attack the Wraith, then they definitely would have done so by now. Its more of an instinct thing for their nanites. As basic nanites, yes, they are programmed to respond aggressively to the Wraith. Doesn't mean that's all they want to do. Now if the Wraith were in close proximity to the Asurans, they probably would be aggressive towards them.
        LOL Thats a given.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
          Wraith aren't genetically human anymore. They've mixed with the Iratus and are a new species. Way to botch that analogy. >
          Yes, and the ancients were asleep when they created them. What were they thinking that day. Supose to be so genetically smart but they botched the wraith, and everything else they touch. Maybe they needed a refresher course on how not to be so smug and get back to the books.

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
            Watch The Real World again. Don't ask me how the Asurans managed to delay an offensive against the Wraith indefinitely, though.

Why do you say that? Yeah, the Replicators don't have the knowledge of unascended Ancients, but they're quick learners and pretty advanced too. If the Asurans didn't find a way to hack the Replicators right away, they would be in serious trouble. Just ask the Asgards.

That's the equivalent of saying all humans everywhere should live in peace, which is not true, as you know. Besides, why do you assume the Replicators wouldn't also hack the Asurans? Even McKay did it...

The truth is, both the Asurans and the Replicators, despite their obvious similarities, are quite singular advanced species with different directives and modus operandi. If they met, they would most likely try to assimilate each other instead of peacefully conjoining. Of course, one of them would eventually become the dominant species and incorporate the other. Then we would have the Super Replicators!
            See at first I kind of thought they were one in the same. Thanks for explaining that better. A super rep. would be something to see sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
              Humans kill to survive

The Wraith kill to survive

therefore humans?!!!!

I don't think so.

Its like saying humans and fish both eat, so they are and should be considered the same thing.
              Ummm no its like saying

The wraith kill to survive

humans kill to survive

therefore there both killers... which is true

and the whole fish eat humans eat hence... they both eat >.> which means there both things that eat....

replicators replicate

asurans replicate

both replicate if something replicates then there replicators

your way of interrupting that is like he was saying humans walk dogs walk we all bark and sniff each others buts not we both walk -_-!

Originally posted by Katiekat View Post
              See at first I kind of thought they were one in the same. Thanks for explaining that better. A super rep. would be something to see sometime.
              HAHA like when they turn all the Asurans into that huge bubbly mass.... "oh god its... moving, changing!?!" (huge Godzilla replicator forms)".... well done Rodney.... well done..." lol
              Last edited by whitepinkbun; 25 May 2009, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I think the Asurans are very different from the MW replicators. The MW replicators had only one goal and that was to replicate. The Asurans have a culture, they tried to emulate the Ancients in their technological achievements and some of them want to ascend. Also they are more complex then the MW replicators in terms of emotion and character. They are capable of the same range of emotions as humans, and they have different personallities and life goals. Imo the Asurans are more similar to humans then they are to the relpicators.

I also wonder how the agression in their base code compares to that of humans. I think it is highly likely that they are similar. The Ancients probably lost some of the agression inherent in humans because it was no longer necessary for their survival. The Ancients were most likely not involved in violent conflicts for millions of years, which would explain why they sucked at warfare. In order to compensate for this lack of agression they created the Asurans.

The possibillity to reprogram the Asurans is also not an argument to see them as just machienes instead of intelligent lifeforms. Humans in the Stargate universe can also be programmed, like the Goa'uld did when they created Zatarcs.

All this makes me think of the Asurans as a species distinct from both replicaters and humans, but who have properties of both species.
                sigpic

Comment

Yes, the Asurans are, from a basic viewpoint, replicators. However, the are completely different from the MW human form replicators. The MW replicators could only replicate off metals. The Asurans can, as far as we know, only replicate off organic tissue. Then there is the culture. So, although it is not incorrect to label them Replicators, the problem comes in where they are shown as being exactly the same physically as the MW replicators, when infact they aren't.
                  Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                  encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                  3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                  4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                  5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Working...
                  X