Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Asurans really Replicators? (spoiler)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the Asurans really Replicators? (spoiler)

Are the Asurans really Replicators? I think they didn't make any special except this moves:
    - the probed Sheppard's team mind
    - they rebuilt Atlantis with "normal" materials
    - they are able to walk through doors
    - they can be destroyed by antireplicator weapons

I hope they will return in season 4 as a better, more reconsidered enemy. If a replicator touch a human, than he can easily kill his enemy as they did in Hot Zone. How will fight against them face to face, if the humans can use only weapons? What will happen, if they became immune against disintegration? Will they create little "troops" (= bugs) as the MW replicators did? They don't use replicators blocks, only nanites, so I would like to see if they are able to replicate their shape (spheres with thorns etc.). Do they have replicator animals, plants? Do they know about RepliCarter, Fifth and the Asgard?
    Last edited by Platschu; 17 February 2007, 10:26 AM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

there the grandparents of what we call the replicators. so yes,

it was a failed expetimeant i na last attept to wipe out the wraith.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I thinks that mixing two enemies such as the wraith and the asurans is not a good idea.
      but, yeah, as for the question of this issue i dont think, i know, the asurans are replicators.
      http://www.silvup.net/images/dmbkep8vqzynqwi.jpg

Comment

The Asurans are essentially replicators. They replicate, yes, but they are different enough to be considered a different race. The Asurans have other abilities that set them apart.
        1. They can replicate off living tissue
        2. They have a different programming
        3. They have a more complex base code
        4. They have a more complex subspace network
        5. As learned in First Strike, they have a collective mid or group of consciousnesses, unlike the MW replicators, and can rereplicate, making them almost unable to get rid of and
        6. They have knowledge of and use ancient technology
        Last edited by Ltcolshepjumper; 19 February 2007, 10:41 AM.
        Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
        encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
        3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
        4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
        5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

I know, but O'Neill and other Atlantis members call them "Replicators" everytime. I think it is a mistake, because they are different as you said. Their number don't grow. They don't build their ships, cities from nanocites. So why are they replicator if they don't replicate?
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

well, they do replicate. Just in extreme cases ( such as a group of replicators being destroyed). If they don't need to then they probably don't replicate. they should be called the Asurans.

Spoiler:

4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
              well, they do replicate. Just in extreme cases ( such as a group of replicators being destroyed). If they don't need to then they probably don't replicate. they should be called the Asurans.
              The Asurans are different from the MW replicators but the reason why everyone calls them a replicator, is because they are made of what the MW replicators are. The basic functions are similar and the same weapons can destroy both.

Comment

the MW replicate in to many

the PG replicate into many

therefore replicators!!!!
                sigpic

Comment

In a sense yes they are, but they are the first generation and also very different. They do the base functions of replicators but have very different motives and programing. So they are similar but also different.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                    the MW replicate in to many

the PG replicate into many

therefore replicators!!!!
                    Humans kill to survive

The Wraith kill to survive

therefore humans?!!!!

I don't think so.

Its like saying humans and fish both eat, so they are and should be considered the same thing.

Spoiler:

Comment

They do replicate and by that fact alone you could say they are replicators. Now, whether or not they're the same replicators from SG1 is a completely different story. They've got similar characteristics although they do, as pointed out, have a few differences. So, it could be considered kind of a grey area. All depending on how you want to read the show.

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
                      "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

I guess the key here is, should they be considered just 'replicators'. they are replicators, but the word 'replicator' fails to accurately describe them. Say the MW replicators were still around. Would they still refer to them both as replicators, given the Asurans many differences in appearance, technology, and goals?

Spoiler:

Comment

Ah, so "replicator" only describes a part of what it is that makes them, them. Interesting. I guess it all depends on how you want to classify things. Do you take their most prominent characteristic, the fact that they replicate, and apply that to their naming or do you go further and look at them in a narrower context ... Perhaps the fact that they were first built as a weapon as opposed to a toy changes matters in terms of their status as replicators ... I don't know.

"Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

Originally posted by cshawzye View Post
                            Ah, so "replicator" only describes a part of what it is that makes them, them. Interesting. I guess it all depends on how you want to classify things. Do you take their most prominent characteristic, the fact that they replicate, and apply that to their naming or do you go further and look at them in a narrower context ... Perhaps the fact that they were first built as a weapon as opposed to a toy changes matters in terms of their status as replicators ... I don't know.
                            Actually, the Asurans' most prominent characteristic isn't their ability to replicate, IMO. their most prominent characteristic, or characteristics, are that they imitate the ancients in dress and technology ( even in attitude) and they apparently hate all humans. Replication may be their physical characteristic, but the average Pegasus inhabitant isn't going to know that they're replicators, let alone inorganic.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                              Actually, the Asurans' most prominent characteristic isn't their ability to replicate, IMO. their most prominent characteristic, or characteristics, are that they imitate the ancients in dress and technology ( even in attitude) and they apparently hate all humans. Replication may be their physical characteristic, but the average Pegasus inhabitant isn't going to know that they're replicators, let alone inorganic.
                              True enough. So than Asurans are only replicators by association? That is, because there were beings in the MW that SG teams had previously encounted with the same abilities as the Asurans, they are labelled by the team as replicators. When, in fact the ability to replicate is only a part of what makes them what they are and is not the thing that defines their actions.

Comment

Working...
                              X