This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ace View Post
    The typical time is around 5 years or more... though there are individuals who are fast-tracked through the ranks. However it would still be around 4 or 5 years for these individuals as well.
    Is that an official minimum or the average time?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
      Is that an official minimum or the average time?
      No... that's an average! The minimum required time in grade by law for a Lieutenant Colonel is 3 years. However even for the best officers, the ones that end up being four star generals and running the entire Air Force, such as the Chief of Staff are promoted with 4 or 5 years time in grade as a Lieutenant Colonel.

Ace
      "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Colonel Caldwell, Weir is too emotional and dumbfounded, and Sheppard is just a screw up.

Comment

No... that's an average! The minimum required time in grade by law for a Lieutenant Colonel is 3 years. However even for the best officers, the ones that end up being four star generals and running the entire Air Force, such as the Chief of Staff are promoted with 4 or 5 years time in grade as a Lieutenant Colonel.

Ace
          So Sam would technically qualify if TPTB want to promote her?

Comment

So Sam would technically qualify if TPTB want to promote her?
            Technically... at the start of Season 4 of Atlantis she would eligable to be promoted. But it would really be pushing it!

TPTB were right and accurate when they waited 5 years to promoted Sam to Lt. Colonel. From Season 3 to Season 8... Even though technically she was eligable to be promoted in season 6.

But yes... technically she would at the start of Season 4 or the beginning of the SG-1 movies. Though in the real world it would never happen. She would have to wait 5 or more years...

Ace

Comment

Technically... at the start of Season 4 of Atlantis she would eligable to be promoted. But it would really be pushing it!

TPTB were right and accurate when they waited 5 years to promoted Sam to Lt. Colonel. From Season 3 to Season 8... Even though technically she was eligable to be promoted in season 6.

But yes... technically she would at the start of Season 4 or the beginning of the SG-1 movies. Though in the real world it would never happen. She would have to wait 5 or more years...

Ace
              I was just wondering whether it was technically possible or if the Air Force advisor would have allowed it.

I don't think they'd have promoted Sam in Season Six because she and Jack would both have been addressed as Colonel, potentially causing confusion for casual viewers who weren't well versed in military ranks.

Comment

I was just wondering whether it was technically possible or if the Air Force advisor would have allowed it.

I don't think they'd have promoted Sam in Season Six because she and Jack would both have been addressed as Colonel, potentially causing confusion for casual viewers who weren't well versed in military ranks.
                Very true...

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
                  I agree. It has to be Elizabeth. Look at this video and see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZHICbXIPcE
                  Wow.... that's so awesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
                    While I agree that Sam wasn't a floormat in her interactions with McKay, I don't think McKay was there long enough for him to do anything "regularly" with Sam.

But in all interactions between Sam and Rodney so far, they've been co-workers. Sam may have had a higher "standing" than Rodney because of her longer experience with SGC, but basically, they were equals. So if Sam were to become Rodney's boss, I wonder how that dynamic would go down. Also, if Sam were to become the leader / commander of Atlantis, then she would also be Sheppard's boss. And that's just a totally unknown factor -- have those two even been in the same scene together???

My concern is that Sam as commander would be the same as Weir -- Sheppard and McKay would make recommendations, and if she agrees, it would come off like she's just rubber-stamping their ideas. If she gives input... hmmm, my guess is it'd look like the three of them are running the base by committee rather than any single one of them being in command. I mean, that's how a lot of S8 looked like to me. Daniel and Teal'c had been Sam's equals for so long, my mind never shifted into seeing Sam as their commander. And JF, DH, AT -- aren't they all close in age? Torri at least had the "mother-hen" vive going for her, but I don't see Sam doing a mother-hen against Rodney and John.
                    WTF, NS? Torri's younger than most of the guys on the main cast, y'know She's only 37. Mother-hen indeed...

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia View Post
                      WTF, NS? Torri's younger than most of the guys on the main cast, y'know She's only 37. Mother-hen indeed...
                      Yes, I know that Torri's younger than both David and Joe, but she has the mother-hen vive regardless. Like in The Game,
                      Spoiler:
                      when John and Rodney were sitting in her office, she looked like the school principal chiding two misbehaving students.

Of course, that's my opinion.
                      Last edited by Night Spring; 20 January 2007, 07:32 PM.
                      Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                      Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                      -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

***Please note that don't agree with this idea but i thought i'd post it anyway.***

The article i read said that Sam would be showing up in her own ship. What if the Asgard have created a ship called the Samantha Carter and let her take it to Pegusas
                        WereWraith06

<<<I have watched you play with those who would play GOD<<<

A Random but Cool Quote:
                        Spoiler:
                        If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
                        - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Yes, I know that Torri's younger than both David and Joe, but she has the mother-hen vive regardless. Like in The Game,
                          Spoiler:
                          when John and Rodney were sitting in her office, she looked like the school principal chiding two misbehaving students.

Occasionally I suppose, but that would be bizarre. Torri herself is very affectionate... she cares a lot. It's sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia View Post
                            Occasionally I suppose, but that would be bizarre. Torri herself is very affectionate... she cares a lot. It's sweet.
                            Having never met Torri, I have no idea how she is in person. I was talking about how she plays Weir. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
                            Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                            Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                            -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Having never met Torri, I have no idea how she is in person. I was talking about how she plays Weir. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
                              That's quite all right. But I still think it's odd sometimes, since there are some scenes where the dynamic is very definitely different than that.

Comment

Spoiler:

Strange, I'd never noticed that Pegasus symbol before!

Comment

Working...
                                X