Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My concern is not with the characters but with the writers and PTB.

Did they learn anything at all from the major changes to SG-1?? Or are they going to try and beat their record of 25 eps to cancellation???

There is no reason to remove Weir as leader of the expedition nor has it been mentioned by anyone in the know so I hope it won't become an issue. I'll deal with it IF it does happen in my usual fashion with lots of snark and no fear of lambasting TPTB if I feel their decisions and actions warrant it. I'm not averse to the cast additions (it's not just about Sam coming over but the other additions as well) however I am worried about how they will be effected. I'm not at all happy about the changes with Carson and Weir.

I feel either lady is quite capable of leading the expedition but see absolutely no reason to change the status quo. Dr Elizabeth Weir all the way!!

-

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
      My concern is not with the characters but with the writers and PTB.

Did they learn anything at all from the major changes to SG-1?? Or are they going to try and beat their record of 25 eps to cancellation???

There is no reason to remove Weir as leader of the expedition nor has it been mentioned by anyone in the know so I hope it won't become an issue. I'll deal with it IF it does happen in my usual fashion with lots of snark and no fear of lambasting TPTB if I feel their decisions and actions warrant it. I'm not averse to the cast additions (it's not just about Sam coming over but the other additions as well) however I am worried about how they will be effected. I'm not at all happy about the changes with Carson and Weir.

I feel either lady is quite capable of leading the expedition but see absolutely no reason to change the status quo. Dr Elizabeth Weir all the way!!

They have never said Weir will be removed and Carter stepping in. I doubt that will happen. All we know is Weir is getting reduced screen time and for all we know Torri could have requested it. Jumping to conclusions is just going to give you a ulcer. I have faith in tptb to make it work.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
        They have never said Weir will be removed and Carter stepping in. I doubt that will happen. All we know is Weir is getting reduced screen time and for all we know Torri could have requested it. Jumping to conclusions is just going to give you a ulcer. I have faith in tptb to make it work.
        Yes I know no one has said anything about a change of leader - I actually said so in my post.

I, however have little faith in TPTB after seeing them botch the changes to SG-1.

On another note .....

Hey, people I've had time to read all the posts that were posted recently and would just like to put forward a friendly reminder. There is currently a lot of unity between fans here on GW about changes to Atlantis. Please do not allow it to degenerate into a *****fest amongst radical fan factions. There are a lot of people with more than one favourite character and fans of both shows.

Please direct your passionate feelings at TPTB, not at each other.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by J_B View Post
          The gate was originally opened because he was the one who deciphered the symbols on the gate, others could read it, it was just him who translated it properly. Go watch Atlantis, you'll see McKay, Weir, Zelenka + others being able to read Ancient. However it was Carter who originally deciphered the address system, it was her who made the SGC' s version of the DHD. She was even working on the Stargate program for 2 years prior to Daniel Jackson.

He didn't solve the puzzle, it was O'Neill who found the Antartic outpost. Without him, it would never have been found. Hence O'Neill is the real reason they are in Atlantis now!

So let's break down what you said exactly: Him being a warrior:Vala + Prommetheus= 'Prometheus Unbound' = Ass Kicking! He can handle a P90 but so can all the team. Therefore they are all technically warriors

Besides, don't they have enough warriors in Atlantis already with the main team & all the marines who are in the city & aboard the 304's.

Scholar: Scholar is only good for deciphering clues, which he was good at in SG-1 because he could speak the language of the Goa'uld, Ancients. Pegasus has Wraith & Asurans. Hence there is a lot less deciphering in Pegasus compared to the MW. Pretty much everything found there requires a scientific mind because it's mostly technological! If you still disagree, then I'll break it down ep by ep for you!

Linguist: Again there is only Wraith & Asurans. McKay can speak, Write & understand Wraith. While everyone can understand the Asurans because they are speaking English. McKay can read Ancient, as well as Weir can easily understand it if you watch Echoes. No further translations required!

A former ascended being: Notice the word former. Has he any of the knowledge he gained from ascension in his conscious mind that he can recall when needed. Does he have any special powers or abilities that technologically advanced humans have...I don't think so! Hence that makes no difference at all because you wored it correctly...FORMER!

Daniel died trying to save lives. Aren't all the SG-1 missions where they go behind enemy lines or engage the enemy to save lives. Especially when it was in the younger years to strop the Goa'uld invading Earth. I can name episodes where every member of SG-1 put their lives on the line for other people.

Could you please enlighten me as to exactly what rings he has ran around Carter if you don't mind!

Now lets' take a proper look that if anyone from SG-1 in Atlantis should be in charge, why it should be Carter.

First the new main enemy is the Asurans. Original form of the Replicators. Who did the Asgard turn to in 'Small Victories' for help in coming up with a strategy that was 'out of the box'...Was it DJ or SC?

Who was it that worked on Da'kara to configure it to wipe out the Replicators? Who was it who figured out the puzzle to allow them to get access to the chamber in the 1st place?

In Beachead, who is it that developed the gatebuster etc, etc!

Who managed to blow up a sun to destroy Apophis's fleet?

Point being, all the smart technological stuff can only be done by Carter. Atlantis doesn't have any old inscriptions or tablets that need translating. It has all the technology there, along with a Database full of advanced Lantean knowledge.

If you think Jackson could understand all that advanced stuff, then I tell you to watch 'Arthurs Mantle':

I rest my case on that! Atlantis is full of all the advanced stuff in their database. He wouldn't have a clue what any of it means. Not to mention if the Wraith or Asurans attack who would you want on your side?

If all that doesn't show you know nothing, then the last section of your post surely confirms it.

Tell me do you actually have a clue as to what is required to make an Asgard puppet work at all in real life? If you think it's cheap, then you honestly have no fracking idea of what exactly you are talking about!!!!

Do you believe it's a midget in a funky costume, or one guy shoving his hand up the latex/silicone ass & operating the mouth/eyes or whatever by his fingers!

It takes a whole team of puppeteers to work a single Asgard at any one time, that combined with all the VFX that goes in post-work by the visual effects department to make it look more realistic. Which touches up the puppet & also more importantly removes all wires etc, so that it's not seen in the finished ep. Then someone is required to provide the voice for it anytime a speaking paret is required. That's only for the simple stuff for advanced projects like it walking out the door in 'Covenant', that all requires CGI. Which costs a bomb to do, mant thousands of dollars for a few secs of screentime! Hence they'd need to combine a whole team of 4/5+ people to work the puppet at any one time. Pay someone to provide the voice for it. Have a few people there full time to do all these exhaustive post 3d work on it. That's what I mean by it's expensive, it would take a whole team of people from multiple departments to make the puppet work for the show. I didn't say it would cost more than AT because you nor I know what she gets for her role as Sam Carter. However if they were to put an Asgard on something like the main team where it would be seen & invloved off world every week, then it would cost a lot more than her or everyone else on the show.

Besides it's not about money, RDA cost more than a lot of other actors who could have done the Jack O'Neill role. Yet they chose him. The same for Carter, it's not about salary. It's also about the fanbase that is brought along with the character themselves. A new Asgard wouldn't have that, so add up all the money required to intergrate one into the show full time. Then compare it with putting in a human character. No puppeteers, nobody to provide the voice, virtually no post processing that needs done. With a human character everything is already there to go!

In conclusion, can DJ, Teal'c, Mitchell, Vala create or understand advanced tech that enables them to defeat the Ori, Wraith, Asurans, Goa'uld or any other enemy they face...The simple answer is a big fat NO! Hence she's the one most qualified out of them all to be on Atlantis.
          Sam isn't qualified to be on a floor mat let alone Atlantis. She is quite possibly the most boring character ever invented. Daniel is the man responsible for the whole thing, Sam had, according to her, been working on the gate for years when Daniel came in and figured it out in two weeks!! if not for him there wouldn't be a Stargate and Jack would be dead. Carter wasn't even in the movie. As far as I am concerned she was never needed in the tv series either. I try to ignore her as much as possible, she is why they invented the ff button!!

Take an episode like Solitudes, do you really think anyone other than Carter would have spent that much time trying to dial Earth without trying another address? The woman is a menace. Jack would have died then too if Daniel hadn't worked out where they were.

Daniel should be on Atlantis, then again if he was I would have to watch next season and I really don't want to do that.
          sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            Yes I know no one has said anything about a change of leader - I actually said so in my post.

I, however have little faith in TPTB after seeing them botch the changes to SG-1.

On another note .....

Hey, people I've had time to read all the posts that were posted recently and would just like to put forward a friendly reminder. There is currently a lot of unity between fans here on GW about changes to Atlantis. Please do not allow it to degenerate into a *****fest amongst radical fan factions. There are a lot of people with more than one favourite character and fans of both shows.

Please direct your passionate feelings at TPTB, not at each other.
            Now ther's two points we disagree on. I don't think they botched SG-1 so I still have faith in tptb on SGA.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
              Sam isn't qualified to be on a floor mat let alone Atlantis. She is quite possibly the most boring character ever invented. Daniel is the man responsible for the whole thing, Sam had, according to her, been working on the gate for years when Daniel came in and figured it out in two weeks!! if not for him there wouldn't be a Stargate and Jack would be dead. Carter wasn't even in the movie. As far as I am concerned she was never needed in the tv series either. I try to ignore her as much as possible, she is why they invented the ff button!!

Take an episode like Solitudes, do you really think anyone other than Carter would have spent that much time trying to dial Earth without trying another address? The woman is a menace. Jack would have died then too if Daniel hadn't worked out where they were.

Daniel should be on Atlantis, then again if he was I would have to watch next season and I really don't want to do that.
              Wow you are quite a Sam hater. Fine you are more than entitled to that opinion but I think she is indeed qualified and will fit in well. Just try and give it a chance ok?

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPower View Post
                Season 4 spoiler below...

Spoiler:
                Now that Carter is in charge of Atlantis in season 4 and since there won't be a season 11, will we see some SG-1 crossovers? Possibly O'Neill, or maybe Daniel since he is the Ancient geek guy?
                Spoiler:
                Is Sam going to be in charge of Atlantis next season? Last I heard, she was going to be getting her own space ship.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  Wow you are quite a Sam hater. Fine you are more than entitled to that opinion but I think she is indeed qualified and will fit in well. Just try and give it a chance ok?
                  Yes, I am a Sam hater. So why should I give Atlantis season four a chance if tptb have moved a character I hate over and killed off or made recurring two characters I do like to make way for her?

Sam has ruined so many SG1 episodes for me and mine that we are not prepared to let her ruin another show for us. We prefer to remember Atlantis as it was in season 1-3. If Sam is on Atlantis we will not watch, it is as simple as that.
                  sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
                    Yes, I am a Sam hater. So why should I give Atlantis season four a chance if tptb have moved a character I hate over and killed off or made recurring two characters I do like to make way for her?

Sam has ruined so many SG1 episodes for me and mine that we are not prepared to let her ruin another show for us. We prefer to remember Atlantis as it was in season 1-3. If Sam is on Atlantis we will not watch, it is as simple as that.
                    Sorry to hear that. Sam to me is a loveable character sorry you disagree and missed several great eps b/c of one character. I love Atlantis as well and think it will/can be as good as seasons 1-3 next season.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      Is Sam going to be in charge of Atlantis next season? Last I heard, she was going to be getting her own space ship.
                      Spoiler:

my understanding is that she is going to be the new Caldwell of SGA

Comment

Originally posted by Adria View Post
                        Spoiler:

my understanding is that she is going to be the new Caldwell of SGA
                        Spoiler:
                        Which means Caldwell will be killed off in the Season 3 final.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPower View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Which means Caldwell will be killed off in the Season 3 final.
                          Spoiler:

or re-assignment Mitch (the actor that plays Caldwell is on another show so think there have had trouble getting him to be on SGA.

but this is all from what I've read on other threads so don't take it as confirmed

Comment

I like SGA the way it is and I like Sam. I think there is a place for Sam without having her take Weir's place. I don't think it would make sense for her to anyway. I'm looking forward to next season. I know there are changes afoot, but I'm hoping TPTB have a great master plan. This could be some awesome TV.

Comment

I think that they both should have leadership positions. Weir knows Atlantis better and about the Ancients. Carter is better with military related issues and could also help do wonders in the science department (she might have to carry a lemon around to keep Rodney calm).
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ehecatl View Post
                                I think that they both should have leadership positions. Weir knows Atlantis better and about the Ancients. Carter is better with military related issues and could also help do wonders in the science department (she might have to carry a lemon around to keep Rodney calm).
                                Great point. Both Carter and Weir have their strengths. I can't really answer this question because I think the answer will depend on what is happening in the show. If for some reason more military presence is needed, then Carter would be in a position to lead. Otherwise, Weir would continue to lead the Atlantis expedition.

Comment

Working...
                                X