Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Skydiver posted in the anti-season 5 thread that the Keller thread was taken down for revision due to some reports and complaints. She said that it was possible there would be another one with better guidelines or that it would just get locked for a while until people can play nice again.
    Thanks for that FH

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
    How can I play nice when we talk about Keller? It is like asking me to hug a wall socket with my hands wet
    Shocking!!! (sorry it had to be said)

Awwww!!! Buttered skis, chocolate skis? . Anywho, Rodney and Carson whining < Keller whining .
    Buttered Ski's is just something I made up. I got the idea from my favourite radio gameshow I'm Sorry I Havent a Clue, in this particular game the panal were given the first part of a metaphor and they had to make up a new ending, the one that made me laugh the most was 'As Slippery As....' the answer was 'A Well Buttered Ice Rink'

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
      Shocking!!! (sorry it had to be said)
      First you want to elope, now you want to hurt me?

Buttered Ski's is just something I made up. I got the idea from my favourite radio gameshow I'm Sorry I Havent a Clue, in this particular game the panal were given the first part of a metaphor and they had to make up a new ending, the one that made me laugh the most was 'As Slippery As....' the answer was 'A Well Buttered Ice Rink'

I was just playing girl. I got the idea...I used to do that to my skis . Don't ask me how I stopped .

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY INTEGRABYTE
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
          HAPPY BIRTHDAY INTEGRABYTE
          Thanks. I love Blue . I think I'll call my next dog...Blue .

Comment

How can I play nice when we talk about Keller? It is like asking me to hug a wall socket with my hands wet
            Only a vague connection but my mother did that once when she was cleaning. She was wiping the wall with a wet sponge and sponged over a live electrical outlet. Somehow she was surprised when she got an electric shock

EDIT: No she was not pregnant with me at the time. That is a whole other set of issues
            Last edited by gateraid; 08 May 2008, 08:54 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
              Only a vague connection but my mother did that once when she was cleaning. She was wiping the wall with a wet sponge and sponged over a live electrical outlet. Somehow she was surprised when she got an electric shock

EDIT: No she was not pregnant with me at the time. That is a whole other set of issues
              I have to clean my screen because of you. Spat orange juice over it ....

***green for that comment ***

Comment

You should be glad she wasn't

Comment

First you want to elope, now you want to hurt me?
                  You were the one that suggested hugging a wall socket

I was just playing girl. I got the idea...I used to do that to my skis . Don't ask me how I stopped .
                  You buttered your ski's????

I once saw a woman pour a kettle of boiling water over her car's windscreen to melt the ice, the look on her face when the screen shattered was a picture

Comment

Well, the infamous Keller thread will not be making a return. Found this post over is the Character section: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...=33956&page=15

I have mixed feelings about this. I didn't see what happened yesterday so I have no idea how bad it got, but it's too bad that once again a thread had to be closed.

So, question for you guys. Now that we have seen how season 4 played out, has Keller become an even touchier subject than Weir? For a while almost every thread about Weir ended up being closed. Now Keller seems headed down that same path.
                    sigpic
                    sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
                      I have mixed feelings about this. I didn't see what happened yesterday so I have no idea how bad it got, but it's too bad that once again a thread had to be closed.
                      There was personal insults and actor bashing going on apparently... But most of those were either ignored or reported, I think.

So, question for you guys. Now that we have seen how season 4 played out, has Keller become an even touchier subject than Weir? For a while almost every thread about Weir ended up being closed. Now Keller seems headed down that same path.
                      I think the whole of season 4 is a controversy all on its own. I haven't been in the SG1-threads so I can't say anything about those, but I think season 4 of Atlantis brought a bigger divide in the fandom than any ship-war could ever accomplish. Every discussion that goes on about this season and its characters will meet several depths in which mods need to step in and clean things up. Season 4 is a touchy subject, if you ask me. I can't speak for everyone but me when I say that it has brought forth some the strongest feelings I have ever experienced in a fandom.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

.: LOL. ((hug))

Well, the infamous Keller thread will not be making a return. Found this post over is the Character section: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...=33956&page=15

.: I miss that thread already. Now we must mourn the "why do ppl hate keller so much" thread. That thread was fun, entertaining, and yes, I guess controversial. But, you know, we will meet again no matter what

.: Damn. I didn't get to read the last 5 pages, though.

.: Yeah, at this point I think it has because it's brought up more often now that's shes in so many (too many) episodes.

Comment

I really hope not. But it's starting to look like it. GW seems more volatile than usual lately. So I've been mostly sticking to my subscribed threads. I personally am not as upset over Keller as I was about Weir, though I don't like her and despise the silly shipping with her they introduced this season. In all likelihood, if the spoilers pan out, those ships will be the final straw for me and I will have to write a Dear Atlantis letter.

Edit: And ditto what FH said about season 4 being a touchy subject. The changes in season 4 were the reason I joined GW.

Comment

It's too bad that Keller thread won't be returning because it was a true discussion thread and not just a pro or anti thread.

As for whether Keller is a touchier subject than Weir, I think the problem with discussing Keller is that she's become the poster child for Season 4 because of the heavy focus on the character. So, if you hate Season 4, then you're probably not too impressed with Keller. On the other hand, if you love Season 4, then you probably don't have a problem with Keller.

I think the whole of season 4 is a controversy all on its own. I haven't been in the SG1-threads so I can't say anything about those, but I think season 4 of Atlantis brought a bigger divide in the fandom than any ship-war could ever accomplish. Every discussion that goes on about this season and its characters will meet several depths in which mods need to step in and clean things up. Season 4 is a touchy subject, if you ask me. I can't speak for everyone but me when I say that it has brought forth some the strongest feelings I have ever experienced in a fandom.
                            I agree that the whole of Season 4 has created divisions unlike any I've seen before in SGA fandom. There were so many changes between Seasons 3 and 4 that in many ways, Season 4 could be considered a different show and that's bound to cause problems between those who didn't want a new show and those who prefer the changes.

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                            .: .: Yeah, at this point I think it has because it's brought up more often now that's shes in so many (too many) episodes.
                            Exactly, IMO the main reason why Keller is taking so much heat is because she was featured so much that she represents the changes in Season 4 even more than Sam did. I noticed that Sam generated more anti-Season 4 sentiment *before* the season aired, however, Keller generated more anti-Season 4 sentiment *after* the season aired.

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                            I really hope not. But it's starting to look like it. GW seems more volatile than usual lately. So I've been mostly sticking to my subscribed threads. I personally am not as upset over Keller as I was about Weir, though I don't like her and despise the silly shipping with her they introduced this season. In all likelihood, if the spoilers pan out, those ships will be the final straw for me and I will have to write a Dear Atlantis letter.

Edit: And ditto what FH said about season 4 being a touchy subject. The changes in season 4 were the reason I joined GW.
                            The Days of Keller's Life will be the end of me too if TPTB continue to focus on her as much as they did in Season 4. The only way to salvage this character for me would be if TPTB keep the focus on her as a doctor. I want them to show me why they made her Atlantis' CMO. I have no interest in her love life.
                            Last edited by maxbo; 08 May 2008, 03:30 PM.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Luciana

Comment

Happy Birthday, Integrabyte!
                              sigpic

Comment

Things just got very heated. There were some inappropriate comments, but I think for the most part it was just the degree to which people were getting worked up in the discussion. Regardless, it wasn't the first time and I daresay it won't be the last time that a heated debated happens on the forum. I'd be very dissapointed if it were.

Oh definitely. Others have pointed out that beyond Keller being a very polarizing character in and fo herself, she seems to be the figurehead of all the changes that were made to SGA for S4.

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                                .: I miss that thread already. Now we must mourn the "why do ppl hate keller so much" thread. That thread was fun, entertaining, and yes, I guess controversial. But, you know, we will meet again no matter what
                                I am quivering with anticipation ...

Did that sound as wrong to you as it does to me? Regardless, I enjoyed the discussion. Here's to hoping we have more.

.: Damn. I didn't get to read the last 5 pages, though.
                                Aw. You missed out on the best part. I'm sure Integrabyte and I could reproduce those "lost" pages if the offer was tempting enough.

.: Yeah, at this point I think it has because it's brought up more often now that's shes in so many (too many) episodes.
                                I would agree with you on that. That's a shocker, I know.

I think at some point TPTB lost track of the fact that Keller was really only a recurring character and started to think of her less as Dr. Jennifer Keller the recurring CMO of Atlantis and more as Jewel Staite the sweet Canadian actress that brings with her the legions of Firefly fans.

I vehemently agree with you.

Season 4 brought along with it so many changes to SGA:
                                • The producers changed
                                • Carson (a beloved character) had been killed off
                                • Weir was killed off (or just dissapeared) Regardless, the effect was the same
                                • They brought in a new CMO (Keller)
                                • TPTB had to deal with Rachel's pregnancy and thusly less possible screentime for Teyla
                                • Carter was brought in as the new Expedition leader

With so many changes, SGA almost stopped feeling like the SGA everyone had come to know and love. The lead characters were still there, but so much was different.

I don't think TPTB dealt very well with all the changes. Now, I'm speaking as someone that enjoyed S4, but I can see where TPTB made some missteps and where they could have taken more care.

Fans were clearly still upset over Carson's death not only because TPTB actually killed him, but also because of the way in which they killed him. I'm not trying to say that TPTB should always write scripts and plotlines based on fan reaction (it would be impossible to write effectively if that were the case), but they definitely could have treated his death and subsequent replacement with more care and, dare I say, tact.

I'll say it. I don't think that placing so much focus on Keller's character was conducive to encourage fan endearment towards the character. Nor do I think it was entirely necessary for the plotline of S4 as a whole. Not when you have underdeveloped characters in Ronon and Teyla and the recurring characters that have been around longer. Even Carter seemed to have been shafted in the development area. And I know that sounds wierd because she'd been around for 10 seasons on SG-1 already, but she hardly seemed like an effective leader on SGA because we seemed to see so little of her. And she was a regular no less.

The Replification (TM) of Weir was another plotline that I think deserved a heck of a lot more screentime than it got. I don't know if that's because Higginson refused to film more scenes or because TPTB just let it slide. To the best of my knowledge, the problems with Higginson didn't start happening until S5 was being worked out.

Regardless, some say she shouldn't have been written off in the first place. I would agree, but only because of the shoddy treatment of the character and her plotline after the fact. I'll continue to support my opinion that if TPTB had devoted more screentime to that idea (more than just the shameful 30 seconds at the end of the mid-season 2 parter) that it could have been a fantastic story arc.

All in all, while I did enjoy S4 for the most part, I do feel like TPTB shoved some very crucial items under the rug and brought certain other elements into too much focus.

Just IMO of course.
                                Last edited by Pandora's_Box; 08 May 2008, 10:02 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X