Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another idea for the Stinky book mix: How to turn good characters into sexual deviants by Martin Gero. After Trio, this is the only thing one can write

Comment

Most of the people posting on this thread are not happy with SGA after Season 4, right? I haven’t seen any of that series yet and would appreciate some input as to whether or not I should bother watching it. I have posted this also in the Pro-Season 4 thread to request the comments of those folks.

I am Canadian and don’t subscribe to a channel that shows SGA as a first run series; our SF channel is halfway through Season 3. However I purchased and watched the DVDs of Seasons 2 and 3 when they were released. Now with the release of the Season 4 DVD coming up in a few months, I must decide what to do about Season 4: should I buy the DVD in July, watch some of the episodes on TV when they eventually appear, or skip it altogether? My husband likes SGA well enough when he is in TV watching mode but he would probably not even notice if I stopped watching it, so he is no help.

Although as a long time lurker I was well spoiled before I saw the episodes, I was not happy with the cast changes of Seasons 3 and 4, when Carson was killed, Elizabeth was eliminated, and Amanda Tapping and Jewel Staite were brought in (loved these actresses and their characters on their other series, think they are both out of place on SGA). I quite liked all the Season 2-3 characters but Carson was my favourite, closely followed by Rodney and Radek. Elizabeth was fine as well; the deficiencies and inconsistencies relating to that character were due to inadequacies in the writing, IMO. Despite being female, I am too old to be very much impressed by the testosterone thing and I am not particularly interested in hot young women. As a lifelong SF fan, I appreciate good special effects, clever fantastical situations and even well choreographed fighting, but a show needs more to hold my interest; there has to be warmth, depth, humanity and humour.

I watched SG1 from the beginning and though it was pretty tired and lame by the last few seasons, I more-or-less stuck with it. SGA was at least as good in its first three seasons, IMO, but I am wary about continuing to invest in it given my mind set and the direction in which the show seems to be going. At the end of the day it is only a television show and there are plenty of others out there. If you care to comment, please give me your two cents worth.

Thanks.

Comment

Norian

One piece of good advice from a longtime fan of both series...

Watch it on TV or download season 4 and see for yourself if you like it enough to buy the DVD's. If you think it's worth the dollars the set costs or if you shouldn't bother at all.

None of us can make that decision for you, not the anti-season 4 people (who IMHO are much more fun to be around) and not the pro-season 4 people (no matter what they say to try and convince you).

Know, that you're always welcome to post here if you want to... One smidgen of anti-ness is enough to be welcomed with open arms. And you even get a personalized membership card on top. The Stinky Sock is our mascotte. It's a long story, but a funny one.

I may not like season 4 personally, too many bridges were burned there, the killing of my favorite character pretty much sealed the deal.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
          Ode to the Gateworld Anti’s
          By parisindy

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
          Lets not and hope for a veggie turkey sandwich on a tray.
          changes have caused the fandome to Fray
          If only TPTB would go away we pray

Despite it all, bagpipes and tears
          Sadness and fears
          The Antis make me laugh and smile
          Even when the changes in characters makes us rile
          And think that TPTB should be on trial

So I thank you, more times
          Then there are Stargates and bad rhymes
          For putting up with me when I’m pouty
          And for joining me when my mind has gone all potty

Long live the Anti’s
          In a thread that never needs a bumps
          even when invaded by self important grumps
          Our friendship is strong
          By Sticking with your fellow Anti’s you can never go wrong.

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
          Another idea for the Stinky book mix: How to turn good characters into sexual deviants by Martin Gero. After Trio, this is the only thing one can write
          Added.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
            .: Ugh. That actually just about tops creating Keller, messing up my dear beloved Rodney and harassing by poor beloved Radek.

Originally posted by Norian View Post
            Although as a long time lurker I was well spoiled before I saw the episodes, I was not happy with the cast changes of Seasons 3 and 4, when Carson was killed, Elizabeth was eliminated, and Amanda Tapping and Jewel Staite were brought in (loved these actresses and their characters on their other series, think they are both out of place on SGA). I quite liked all the Season 2-3 characters but Carson was my favourite, closely followed by Rodney and Radek. Elizabeth was fine as well; the deficiencies and inconsistencies relating to that character were due to inadequacies in the writing, IMO. <...> a show needs more to hold my interest; there has to be warmth, depth, humanity and humour.
            .: Welcome Norian!! Carson is also my favourite character and I am also quite fond of Elizabeth, Rodney, and Radek, so I can kinda relate with you here. I was also very upset (to put it lightly) over the cast changes. And the cast changes have negatively affected all our loved main characters - Rodney being the most influenced by the lack of Elizabeth and Carson to balance him.

.: Really; the cast chemistry is seriously screwed up IMHO, just as they were about 'gelled' in the third seasons. It even feels like you watching a different show technically. S4 relied too much on special effects and juvenile humour... I think ShadowMaat had a list of top ten reasons not to watch, it's your choice but I'll look to dig that up as it is both a bit amusing and sadly true.

I watched SG1 from the beginning and though it was pretty tired and lame by the last few seasons, I more-or-less stuck with it. SGA was at least as good in its first three seasons, IMO, but I am wary about continuing to invest in it given my mind set and the direction in which the show seems to be going. At the end of the day it is only a television show and there are plenty of others out there. If you care to comment, please give me your two cents worth.
            .: Like Falcon Horus said, nobody can choose but you. I would reccommend just buying or downloading or watching through youtube...shhh one or two episodes and see what you think. I have not seen all the episodes but the ones I have seen the only ones I would watch again are Adrift, Lifeline, This Mortal Coil and the Kindreds - all with Elizabeth or Carson. The rest were rather unimpressive IMO. I skipped the ones that my fellows here said were downright horrible.

.: What irks me more are the showrunners and their utter arrogance and disrespect.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Know, that you're always welcome to post here if you want to... One smidgen of anti-ness is enough to be welcomed with open arms. And you even get a personalized membership card on top. The Stinky Sock is our mascotte. It's a long story, but a funny one.
            .: Anti's rule

Comment

Norian, welcome! In the end no one can choose but you, but I would suggest viewing some episodes before investing money in the DVDs. As someone who really loved the first three seasons, I have to say this season was a major disappointment. In total, there were seven episodes I liked (almost all in the first half). Our tastes might be very different, however, and you might enjoy this season. I'm a person who doesn't buy DVDs or downloads unless I already know I like what I'm purchasing and will re-watch it, so I really would recommend veiwing a few eps to see how you personally feel about the changes, especially since you've expressed doubts about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Norian View Post
                As a lifelong SF fan, I appreciate good special effects, clever fantastical situations and even well choreographed fighting, but a show needs more to hold my interest; there has to be warmth, depth, humanity and humour.
                IMO, a lot of the warmth, humanity, and humor was lost in s4 compared to the other seasons. Fewer McKay snarky quips, no Carson around to reassure people, and Carter had far less of a dynamic with the team than Weir did. Some of the moments that were meant to convey bonding and friendship felt forced or stiled. I don't think that Carter or Keller ever really fit in and even the team felt distant from each other.

That's not to say that there aren't any great character moments in s4, just that I feel that there were far fewer than previous seasons. That may be because of the loss of Weir and Carson, or because the writing changed (this may have been TPTB's attempt to write "darker"), or both.

I thought that s4 was on a similar level with s3 in terms of story quality. Keep in mind though that there aren't too many eps in s3 or s4 that I'd rewatch, so that isn't really glowing praise. But IMO the plots didn't completely go to pot in s4. Heck, they may have gotten better because Lucius didn't return (though one can only go up from there. )

One option is to pick out what other fans thought were the best eps of the season and watch those, with the possibility of watching more if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                  I love it! Mental green.

I saw three amazing episodes of three amazing shows this weekend. Torchwood, Dr. Who and BSG and everytime I asked myself: "Why can´t SGA look like that?"
                  I just saw the Torchwood episode, "Adrift" last weekend and it was excellent. Even my teen son was choking tears. The BSG season premier was excellent. Compared to what I've seen of SGA, it doesn't even hold a candle to either of these shows (or even Doctor Who). There is no emotion in SGA, just juvenile humor and half-hearted attempts at scifi. I know BSG has a good budget, but Torchwood and DW have almost NO budget, but the STORIES are so much better. If only certain writers could be replaced. . . . .

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

welcome Norian!

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                    I thought that s4 was on a similar level with s3 in terms of story quality. Keep in mind though that there aren't too many eps in s3 or s4 that I'd rewatch, so that isn't really glowing praise. But IMO the plots didn't completely go to pot in s4. Heck, they may have gotten better because Lucius didn't return (though one can only go up from there. )
                    oh wow i actually couldn't disagree more ((hugs TOF))
                    i loved season 3... of course not the lucious ones... but i was the biggest hard core atlantis fan there was until First Strike... though i waivered at sunday.. first strike was the final straw... there were so many episodes in season 3 i loved! i just adored 90% of season 3! Sateda and echos.. freaking lovely episodes... what i saw of season 4, just made me ill... every second of it, complete and utter crap...even beloved favorite characters were written out of character..... nasty nasty

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                    Compared to what I've seen of SGA, it doesn't even hold a candle to either of these shows (or even Doctor Who). There is no emotion in SGA, just juvenile humor and half-hearted attempts at scifi. I know BSG has a good budget, but Torchwood and DW have almost NO budget, but the STORIES are so much better. If only certain writers could be replaced. . . . .
                    agreed totally only with Supernatural instead of those other shows... i almost forget now why i ever liked Atlantis at all, i had to think hard.. i don't know if i went back now and watched the episodes i once adored if i would still like them... i'm too afraid to find out... so i don't watch stargate at all anymore, nor will i be watching the new series

Just praying to see it end so the actors i like can move on to bigger and better things
                    cause they deserve better!
                    Last edited by parisindy; 09 April 2008, 11:04 AM.
                    Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                    ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                    Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

***pops head in...steals all the cookies...runs out and eats them ****

Spoiler:
                      I lost tons of weight...I can do this now

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                        ...i almost forget now why i ever liked Atlantis at all, i had to think hard..
                        For me, that would be KATE HEIGHTMEYER!!! I love my Kate... *huggles her Kate*

People will most likely call me crazy now for liking Atlantis for one character who didn't even appear for more than 5 episodes. But I'm Heightmeyer's Lemming, what else did you expect?!?

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                        ***pops head in...steals all the cookies...runs out and eats them ****
                        It's the Cookiemonster!!!

Comment

Spoiler:
                          Replenishes cookies.

So, according to the recent news article on GW, SGA season 4 was loved by the fans. Guess we're not fans, then, just an annoying vocal minority.
                          Last edited by marielabbott; 09 April 2008, 04:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to put pic in spoiler tag, for pokey internet connections like mine. Duh. :p

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                            So, according to the recent news article on GW, SGA season 4 was loved by the fans. Guess we're not fans, then, just an annoying vocal minority.
                            Except that the GW-polls are extremely biased and shouldn't be taken into account at all... The ratings, well they pretty much speak for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                              .: Not really - we're only a "annoying, vocal, minority" to TPTB and season four was loved by the fans on GateWorld. Like FH said, the majority of the polls are extremely biased - most episodes are usually rated a "10" by over 50% of voters ...

.: Otherwise, we are in a majority. About every non-Stargate-centric forum I run across shares a similar ... distaste of season four. I've visited tons of topics on completely unrelated forums that pop up in my searches and everyone is saying the same thing - usually Trio/Quarantine/Travellers/etc were a joke. (Oh, I wish.)

.: Factor in reviews of season four - most 'professional' reviews I have seen found season four very flat with only a couple bright lights. And the livejournals, blogs, comments etc. I'm pretty much seeing the same thing.

Comment

no matter what the spin doctors say

season 4 sucked rocks
                                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                                ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                                Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Working...
                                X