Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
    When you say it that way, it does sound better. I think part of my problem was, I'd already pictured him as an "average Joe" and having this backstory thrown in four years into the series was rather jarring. I agree with Anuna that it's not impossible for people who aren't super wealthy to get into sports like golf and surfing, and people from all kinds of backgrounds read literature. I always took it as an indication that he valued learning and education, which is often a way out of poverty.

I do wish we had learned what made him cut ties with his family--but maybe TBTP realized at this point they probably could not make up a reason that would sit well with all the fans and decided to leave things vague. Or they couldn't think of a reason.
    It requires knowing your character, where does he come from, what makes smile, what makes him cry, it requires respecting the character, caring about him and it requires helluva good writing. I don't see that. poor Johnny boy.
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      It requires knowing your character, where does he come from, what makes smile, what makes him cry, it requires respecting the character, caring about him and it requires helluva good writing. I don't see that. poor Johnny boy.
      Yep, it's easier to just do something typical. Even JF said at a con that he had envisioned a completely different background for John. But he wouldn't tell what it was. *pouts* And once again, we all wish he was a producer or at least they would listen to his ideas.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        Yep, it's easier to just do something typical. Even JF said at a con that he had envisioned a completely different background for John. But he wouldn't tell what it was. *pouts* And once again, we all wish he was a producer or at least they would listen to his ideas.
        John is Johnny Cash fan. Same goes for JF. Somehow I have a feeling John's backstory would be Cash - inspired.

Comment

John is Johnny Cash fan. Same goes for JF. Somehow I have a feeling John's backstory would be Cash - inspired.
          Could be. You know how JF likes to play roles that are different from what he's done previously. No telling what he had thought up.

BTW, I was reminded by a green from someone that I hit 2300. Yay me. *I have no life.*
          sigpic

Comment

Could be. You know how JF likes to play roles that are different from what he's done previously. No telling what he had thought up.

BTW, I was reminded by a green from someone that I hit 2300. Yay me. *I have no life.*
            Ha, look at my postcount. I pwn you!!!

Whatever Joe (the other Joe, not that Joe) thought up would have been better.

Comment

Whatever Joe (the other Joe, not that Joe) thought up would have been better.
              You have less of a life than I do. *raspberries*

One of those Joe's needs to change his name. Actually I have a few new suggestions for one of them. And you know which one. *looks around for Skydiver*
              sigpic

Comment

One of those Joe's needs to change his name. Actually I have a few new suggestions for one of them. And you know which one. *looks around for Skydiver*
                You can always PM me.

*runs away*

Your story is going slowly... but its going.

Comment

My day was officially a BUST!! Damn it, I hate my sister's landlord worse than she hates him. He forgot all about me going over there to sit in while waiting for the cable guy to come 'round. So I ended up sitting in the car for 2 hours, with my running-low-on-battery-laptop and my Torchwood magazine. And I had no internet (damn you people without wireless internet) and had to send the cable guy along cause we couldn't get into the apartment.

*sigh* Bad day, bad, bad day! *grumble*

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                  How did you feel about Sheppard's backstory, his coming from a wealthy family?
                  Already figured that out in Sunday with his golfing...

Well, actually this background was exactly what I expected. A lot of things about him don't fit with the lower or even middle class background: golf, surfing, reading War and Peace. He just has an air of refinement about him that's hard to explain. No rough edges like Mitchell for example. People who have had to struggle usually seem like they have something to prove. John just doesn't seem to care what people think. In addition he doesn't seem to care much about money. That's typical of the rich. As for being bored and indulged, it depends on the attitude of the parents. Many rich people are a lot less indulgent than the poor. It sounds like John's dad had very high expectations of him and was actually very hard on him, so he's still a rebel. Just a rich one.
                  What SR said...

And I totally pwn you!!

What does that say about me?
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

very good review of S4
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

So, as I was reading my Torchwood magazine... I came across an interesting quote by James Marsters (Captain John Hart, Spike in Buffy) in his interview:

[Then] I came over here (UK) on tour, and I got to see Doctor Who, because one of my tour managers was obsessed with it.
                      "It was a fabulous plot, equivalent to three or four episodes of American TV, and that's when I knew I wanted to work on a Russel T Davies production!"
                      I had to do a double take on the bolded part and then cheered. James has good taste.

Comment

I always imagined him as a child of a single mother who had troubled childhood and was angry with his father for leaving. Maybe had a younger sister - that's where he could ahve learned to be so protective. Worked through school.
                        That's what I always imagined. He had to cut ties with Papa and co. for something, something that TPTB was either too lazy or too dumb to come up with. I imagined him as not poor or rich but simple middle class. (Maybe it's because lots of poeple think middle class is boring compared to dirt poor or filthy rich, but I digress.) He seems like the kind that would work very well through school - maybe the quiet kid in the back reading scholarly things like War and Peace. He's a closet geek and you know it

I'm not sure about golf and surfing, though golf usually is usually perceived as a rich guy's hobby. I know less about surfing, the waters where I live are too damn cold I dunno. But I would say he was an average kid that lived an average kid life and strived for his education.

PM?? I'm too curious - I have names for him (that Joe, not our Joe) but they could be use for any ... guy you dislike. Usually I refer to JF as Joe and JM as Mallozzi. Mallozzi somehow sounds like an evil dictator boss from a James Bond movie. Heh.

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                        Should someone send it to Mallozzi? Because it's on an reviewer website rather than some exposition by a nitpicky fan. Agree with pretty much everything. Teyla. Shep. Everything, except I'm a bit more critical. But it's critical enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                          [FONT="Georgia"]

PM?? I'm too curious - I have names for him (that Joe, not our Joe) but they could be use for any ... guy you dislike. Usually I refer to JF as Joe and JM as Mallozzi. Mallozzi somehow sounds like an evil dictator boss from a James Bond movie. Heh.

LAMAO!!! I love you!!! Totally true!

Comment

We need a manip with that

Comment

Might happen, but will have to wait till maybe thursday cause I have no time tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                                That is a nice review. I disagree about what the reviewer said about Keller though--she did not improve near the end of the season. I helped feed her to the Wraith in Reiko's thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X