Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
    I'm a Beckett fan. I wrote a lot of stuff supporting him too, but I'm afraid not even the good doctor will be able to save the patient this time.
    Ain't that the truth!
    Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
    ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
    Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      Honestly dude, I think with this new announcement, they should just bring Weir back, imo. Have Carter do her guest roles, they rescue Weir, save her and then the IOA decides she is fit to be leader again.
      You'll get no disagreement on that from me. But it ain't gonna happen, according to JM. We get a new commander.

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
        You'll get no disagreement on that from me. But it ain't gonna happen, according to JM. We get a new commander.
        why is it i find this highly amusing!? LOL
        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

And a new commander is in, and it's not Weir. There goes my last shred of hope. I fear Weir will be an enemy now, which would destroy her character in my mind. Insane. So...we'll have two new characters next year, a new commander and probably a new team member or recurring character. Changing up the dynamics even more. Great how everything is gelling, huh?
          I am prepared to be very disappointed come Monday. It sure sounds like they've picked a character we already know and if I already dislike this person, that won't auger well for season 5 for me.

It's gonna be a long weekend.
          sigpic
          sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
            Ahahaha, Carter is officially out as Atlantis commander in s5! Grab your water skis, kids, we're going shark jumping again!

So many things are ablaze, I should take up fiddling or something.
            I haven't posted in a while. Haven't been watching the show (save for Travellers and TMC) and started to drift away. But I must admit, this latest news has just reinvigorated my anti-ness.

I'm trying to think of any show that has gone through this many changes and I can't think of a single one. I'm positive this has to be some kind of record; a pretty pathetic one to be sure, but a record nonetheless.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
              I am prepared to be very disappointed come Monday. It sure sounds like they've picked a character we already know and if I already dislike this person, that won't auger well for season 5 for me.

awww there is nothing to worry about... we know its going to suck...
              its so bad now its funny

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
              I haven't posted in a while. Haven't been watching the show (save for Travellers and TMC) and started to drift away. But I must admit, this latest news has just reinvigorated my anti-ness.

I'm trying to think of any show that has gone through this many changes and I can't think of a single one. I'm positive this has to be some kind of record; a pretty pathetic one to be sure, but a record nonetheless.
              (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((nowvoyager))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))

MISSED YOU!

it certainly has jumped the shark lol...
              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                why is it i find this highly amusing!? LOL
                Probably because it is. And sad, too.

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post

I'm pretty disappointed already, and, well, it might very well get worse on Monday. Thankfully tomorrow I will be busy with a Jane Austen marathon with the girls that will take my mind off SGA for awhile.

Yeah, I really can't think of another show I'm familiar with that has had such a turnover in cast. Well, maybe ER, but that's been on TV for what, 15 years?

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                  awww there is nothing to worry about... we know its going to suck...
                  its so bad now its funny

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((nowvoyager))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))

MISSED YOU!

it certainly has jumped the shark lol...

Awww, thanks. I feel like I was never away. LOL.

Have to admit, this new development is just a whole new shark waiting to be jumped. Didn't think it could get any more screwed up. I think I need to buy a big tub of popcorn, sit back and just watch the whole freakin mess unfold.
                  Last edited by nowvoyager908; 01 February 2008, 08:48 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

If Tapping's decision left TPTB scrambling then I offer her my applause. TPTB did it to Torri, now it can bite them back. Oh karma, I love you.
                    Karma is awesome. Amanda deserves better than Carter

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    "I want to believe", Marielabbott said.
                    Mcbarr posted famous X-Files poster which hangs against the wall in Mulder's basement office.
                    Falcon H. gets instruction and finds herself playing around in photoshop pretty soon.

Here's the result of that join effort:

Spoiler:
                    Mental Greenie for you, because I must distribute them in more equal quantities, the board says. I'm printing that out and pinning it on my door.

I believe you. I've only been here a few months, but man, this fandom is kinda nuts. Though, really, they have good reason to be. I do hope we don't get a new commander. I'm not sure if I could think of anything else worse, except perhaps Carter staying. Is it Monday yet?
                    Good News: Carter is no longer a regular. Bad News: We get a new commander. The fandom continues to be a nuthouse.

Oh, I want to play there! Where everyone in fandom is happy and all the characters get equal screentime and fantastic development and the writers are awesome and producers are mature and actors are never, ever shafted. Maybe I can dream of such a place tonight!
                    That's called the world in my head. We were talking about our own seperate realities in Digital Photography (pretty much all we've done so far in there is surf the net and talk about sex), and someone said my reality was wrong. I don't care if my reality is wrong with the real world - I like it better. My brain is that happy world. There are many actors, writers, producers, and characters running around in there like hamsters on wheels. It's a full house though; I wish I had room for more. (meaning: it would be true so everyone could share the reality that only exists in my mind. Wish you were here. It's very cozy.)

Originally posted by borgprincess View Post
                    OMG, you make me so sad. I can imagine Keller and Carson doing a sweeter, lighter version of McKay-Zelenka...rather than bickering and snarking with each other, they would've been so adorable and super-nice to everyone and the infirmary would've been a happy place, without that awful, hideous *WRONGNESS* that permeates the atmosphere whenever I see Keller in there trying to act like the boss.
                    That's what I was thinking, as long as they don't throw in any frickkin' romantic subplots. Keller as the Infirmary Queen just does not work. She's trying to hard to be liked and that creates an unintentional bubble of hostility IMO. The atmosphere is far different, and while the infirmary was one of my favourite places in the first three seasons (who knew?), it's one I horribly dislike now. Just gimme Carson back plz...

Originally posted by dana View Post
                    Is it bad that I don't give a damn anymore? My attitude now is like "yeah, whateva *back to write fics*"
                    Always nice to curl up with some good fanfiction, eh?

No poor writing, plot hole, spin or general crappiness can withstand our anti-power!
                    Spoiler:
                    Ay, she is cute. I personally prefer red-hair Kate to blond-hair Kate, but she is awesome either way. With he death brings out even more unfamiliarity in Atlantis. I really enjoyed the recurring characters that inhabited the city ... They weren't in every episode but we know they were there.

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
                    This Alison Porter character -- I don't know about you guys, but a couple of us have been speculating in emails and think that she's going to be a replacement for Teyla in the team, if not all the time, at least for part of it.
                    <snippy>
                    This new under 30 female captain will most likely take her place in the team in some episodes.
                    Oh, I didn't think about her replacing Teyla...that might be exactly what will happen. So we'd only have one Pegasus galaxy native on the team and there would be fresh new eye candy for the key demographic. Oh, man. At least I will always have 3 seasons of SGA to enjoy.
                    Just when I thought I couldn't worry more? Oh please, they can't lose Teyla! I don't know hardly zip about this character - heck, I don't even know who plays her - but she's gonna be a name to get on my nerves in the next few .. months. And, so is Teyla not a draw for the key demographic? I think RL is beautiful (but this is from a female perspective.)

Yes, we still have three seasons and well-written fanfictions to OD on. Plus out own imaginations =]

And one more word about Teyla being replaced by other people and I'll scream. Or migrate. Possibly the latter.
                    It's a miracle that my brain hasn't already dissolved into a pile of marshmallow fluff.

Who is this Captain Porter? Some sort of Carter lite? If they wanted to add someone new to the team, why not an established character like Cadman?
                    Carter lite, yes, I would assume. And I agree, why not an established character? Cadman was awesome, what ever happened to her? I guess she was done off with so the writers could clean up for Carson's death.

Originally posted by Dr Weir View Post
                    They seem to be dumbing down the series by making everyone typical American military personnel. It said in the one of the S1 DVD extras that Elizabeth was chosen as they didn't want the military in change....but it is becoming more and more like SG1, like you said, like Atlantis command.
                    That was something I liked about Atlantis - it was structured, but definately not strict-military or anything. Sure, the military were there as a notable presence but so was tons of international civvies and a pair of Pegasus natives. Making it more 'militarized' goes against everything they set in the beginning. Besides, to me, the show was more about the bonding of the characters alongside the nice balance of action and humour.

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
                    JM basically confirmed they fired Weir because they didn't like the character, only Brad Wright did. He said they did AT a favor by firing her to her face rather than informing her agent.
                    The whole industry continues to confuse me.

All Larrin does is flirt and tease John. The whole casting has become very sexist and geared towards male viewers.
                    TP need to get it through thier numskulls, that Atlantis has a very LARGE female viewership. Also a LARGE number of people that enjoyed the first three seasons. Look, TPTB - you did something right for the first three! Now why don't we go back?

Honestly dude, I think with this new announcement, they should just bring Weir back, imo. Have Carter do her guest roles, they rescue Weir, save her and then the IOA decides she is fit to be leader again.
                    I like that plan too, but still the odds are (never mind: they are) not happening. People have accused fans of tampering too much with the show ... what tampering, excuse me? It is necessary to concieve interesting plots to push stories, but TPTB have distorted SGA beyond all recognition.

Anywhoots - welcome, Repli!kat =] Enjoy your stay.

How about a name for this new, Porter chick. I'm personally leaning towards Porter-Potty.

Comment

I would say Farscape but they added people instead of taking people out.
                      sigpic
                      My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
                        She's definitely their extra female character. I think we can say goodbye to the idea of Torri being in more than one or two episodes. Maybe she'll be in just enough for them to kill Weir again. We should start calling her Stargate Kenny!
                        Or Stargate Daniel

Why are they replacing everyone? Why even bother with Stargate Universe, they are transforming SGA into a whole new show anyway. Also some people are saying in the Kindred thread are claiming that the writers never really wanted to kill Beckett, and it may have been the network's decision. According to them TPTB were either have been planning to bring Carson back from the time he was killed or if the save Carson campaign got on tv. Is any of this true? It sounds a bit far fetched to me.
                        Well... if the network wanted Paul McGillion gone and TPTBs did not, it means PM must've done something really awful to them. Otherwise, the whole idea is really far fetched

They seem to be dumbing down the series by making everyone typical American military personnel. It said in the one of the S1 DVD extras that Elizabeth was chosen as they didn't want the military in change....but it is becoming more and more like SG1, like you said, like Atlantis command.
                        If typical US military personnel look and perform like Sheppard... You know what I want to say

Originally posted by Repli!kat View Post
                        Thanks for the Welcomes...
                        So here are my anti thoughts for Season 4 and 5.
                        First off, I do not have much negative to say about the male characters on SGA, I generally like them and what TPTB have done with them, but....

The female characters on the other hand, what the heck?
                        It seems that this season they have systematically devalued, displaced, even killed almost every good ,strong woman on this show and replaced them with those I don't see as half as interesting or worthwhile. (I do like Carter, but her role is so much less than it could have been, given her history).

Old:
                        Elizabeth - all but written out
                        Teyla - (I know she was pregnant) - role diminished further
                        Kate -killed outright
                        Cadman - never saw her at all

New:
                        Carter - should be a strong female role but is hardly there
                        Keller - weak; sweet, but weak
                        Larrin - kinda sleazy and what leadership has she actually shown

So when they talk about bringing in yet another female character, Alison Porter?, I am not inclined to be optimistic about Season 5 either.
                        I am very disheartened.
                        I am a guy and I have to say that I really enjoyed seeing strong female characters Teyla and Elizabeth in Season 1. TPTB reducing women to eye-candy is an insult not just to women, but to me and all mature men as well

Edit: I just read somewhere (ah, the irony!) that Carter is history as base commander. Ha, ha!
                        carter has a history of being a base-commander? When? Did I miss something again?

And you said you won't be overly optimistic again after what they did to her last time

Comment

So, any bets as to who the new commander will be? Woolsey? O'Neill? Jackson? Landry? Vala? Mitchell? Completely random military dude?

Comment

Oh look 12,000 anti postings, and TPTB still say it's the best season EVAH, from the sounds of things it sounds like Series 5 has already lost the plot (it's not like S4 had one). They've already opened a series 5 part and I know we're not allowed to post an Anti 5 thread, so how about we post a 'Serious Misgivings About Series 5' thread, think we can get away with it

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                              Oh look 12,000 anti postings, and TPTB still say it's the best season EVAH, from the sounds of things it sounds like Series 5 has already lost the plot (it's not like S4 had one). They've already opened a series 5 part and I know we're not allowed to post an Anti 5 thread, so how about we post a 'Serious Misgivings About Series 5' thread, think we can get away with it
                              I think that thread would have a very short life

Comment

I'm taking an indefinite break from this whole SGA fandom/watching/whatever.

I think it's got to the point where I just don't want anything to do with it anymore. It gets more and more ridiculous by the day. If they bring in a civilian to replace Carter, I'm going to be mightily pissed off, because it'll just show their aim all along was to dump Torri, not to improve their situation by relieving Weir of her duty.

When it gets to the point where I hate a show I used to love, more than anything I've watched since XF, it's time to get out.

But, before I go, I did find something very interesting on JM's blog. It was a comment left by someone whose name escapes me. It was a link to an article with Russell T Davies.

This is the link: http://www.gallifreyone.com/cgi-bin/...tyle=feedstyle

This is the most important par, IMO, and it relates directly to showrunners who like to stir **** among their fans, like JM does:

He also notes that he deliberately keeps organized fandom at arm's length: "I think we're an unusual science-fiction franchise in taking a very big step back from fandom and having nothing to do with them. . . . Every program on the BBC has a message board on the website. I forbid it to happen on 'Doctor Who.' I'm sorry to say this, all the science fiction producers making stuff in America, they are way too engaged with their fandom. They all need to step back."

If someone in the UK who doesn't have anything to do with American shows (whether they're made in Canada or the US is irrelevent) can see this, then there's something wrong.

None of this crap would have been as badly received, IMO, if JM and co had shown decent judgement, humility, and respect for their fans and actors.

They didn't, and now the whole fandom has gone to hell in a handbasket, to the point where even some Carter fans are pissed off despite her getting a new show, because JM made them believe she was in it for the long haul, when Amanda's loyalty (quite rightly) lies with her new show.

What a godforsaken mess and a joke. Maybe Torri's better off out of this.

Comment

Working...
                                X