Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need BAMSR!!! We need fresh meat

*sharpens pitchfork *

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
      ...Hammond, who wasn't even in the main credits on SG1.
      Correction, Don S. Davis was in the main credits for as along as he was General on Stargate SG1.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Correction, Don S. Davis was in the main credits for as along as he was General on Stargate SG1.

Still awake, chica?

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
          Still awake, chica?
          Not for long, have a long day ahead tomorrow which continues into the day after tomorrow and the day after that...and I hope I'm still alive after my visitors have left.

Organizing a LOTR-movie viewing thursday, the long versions... 12 hours of fun!
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Not for long, have a long day ahead tomorrow which continues into the day after tomorrow and the day after that...and I hope I'm still alive after my visitors have left.

In that case, in your jammies ...quick . I did that LOTR marathon too. I think being tortured feels much better than 12 hours of LOTR . I was K.O after seeing all three extended versions

*night everyone*

Comment

I wish TPTB had written Shep as a little less smug/rebel/quippy/ladykiller and a little more serious, such as exploring this excessive dedication/suicide wish regarding his team. I get the feeling that TPTB didn't really know how to develop Shep so they stuck with superficial, easy to write things like snark, wild hair, and women having the hots for him. Thanks to that, I've had little interest in Shep outside of his confession to Teyla in Sateda.
              I don't mind the entire ladykiller thing (But since he should stay at Atlantis as CO, he should be dating the scientists which annoys Rodney), a lot of great leaders were known to indulge themselves, and I can even stand the rebel thing, but what I can't stand is the incompetence he portrays the moment he gets to lead a team. If he's alone he's good (See midseason two-parter in S1 where he's displaying actual competence with regards to tactics and strategies. He's outbluffing and outmanouvering a strike force) but when he has to lead a team he loses his abilities somehow especially when tactics and strategies are required.

What also annoys me is that he never seems to learn from his mistakes. Take Michael and Todd, after Michael they should've decided never to take another Wraith prisoner to the city but keep them at a heavily guarded Alpha site, this to prevent another Michaelesque drama.

But he's not the only one who shows signs of military incompetence. Caldwell and the SGC (Or IOA) are also prime examples. The first one managed to get an Aurora class ship destroyed thanks to his poor battle tactics. The second ones managed to decide on the "First Strike" operation without any regard for what might happen, this decision cost Weir her life, damaged Atlantis and provoked an all-out war. All of which could've been prevented if they had just waited for the planet wide replicator weapon.

Totally. Weir was second in the credits, so of course one would assume she'd have decent screentime and development. And since she wasn't on the team, it appeared that TPTB would devote more time to non-team characters than what was done with SG1. But as the seasons went on, it became obvious that they were more interested in safe team stories and Weir turned more and more into Hammond, who wasn't even in the main credits on SG1.
              Hammond was in the main credits and you're right, SGA became more SG-1 redux but in a different galaxy.

I think Weir also suffered because she was a peacemaker and a diplomat first and foremost, and TPTB haven't shown much interest/ability in writing for those sorts of situations. McKay and Shep snark and Ronon and Teyla blowing or beating stuff up appears to be far more appealing to them.
              Weir suffered because they decided that Sheppard should lead the negotiations which is good if you have the upper hand and want to bluff your way out, but not when you want to form a new alliance. Furthermore did they make the mistake of appointing, again, Sheppard as the primary representative of the expedition, instead of the diplomat Weir or the native leader Teyla. Either of those would've been a better alternative since they are used to fighting with words while Sheppard loves to come in with his guns.

McKay in the field is also a big mistake since he's their lead scientist and their foremost expert on Ancient technology. He's an essential member who you don't want to have in a combat situation because if he dies or gets wounded you've lost a valuable asset when it comes to defending Atlantis. Keep the big brains out of the battle and send in people that, for the lack of a better term, can be replaced more easily. But I guess they had to include him to write the Shep/McKay banter, although it would have been easier if both of them stayed behind on Atlantis.

Ford suffered from the "Sheppard as team-leader and thus the hero"-complex. Had Sheppard stayed on Atlantis, as he should have, Ford could've been far more developed and would've proven a valuable team-leader (We've seen he's easily capable of it in S2 and he's more levelheaded than Sheppard).

Beckett had the problem of the writers not knowing what to do with him because he's the CMO, and should remain on Atlantis since he's almost impossible to replace, and there are too little base episodes.

And that brings me to Ronon. The character with the most potential and the most underused character currently. After 2 years with the expedition and proven himself in combat to be trustworthy, give the guy a command (Pref. special-ops). He has the capabilities to do so and his knowledge on the locals would make his team an excellent strike squad.
              Signed,

Gregorius
              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Oops, brain turned off there. I should change my statement to emphasize how Weir has turned into Hammond, who was far lower in the credits on SG1 than she was on SGA.

Comment

Oops, brain turned off there. I should change my statement to emphasize how Weir has turned into Hammond, who was far lower in the credits on SG1 than she was on SGA.
                  Hammond had more to do than Weir. He at least had the authority to plan missions and discuss the details with the team before they headed off-world.
                  Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Fallen-one, if you should return, you will have to understand that we all have different opinions, and we can defend those as much as wel like. Which means Luz is entitled to hate O'Neill all she likes.

I agree it's slightly off-topic but it was in relation to Sheppard, so I guess it was semi on-topic.

Respect goes a long way...
                    and its something to wonder if we can do it..why can't the rest of the forum? I love shep... and don't mind if other don't

ooooo i love LOTR! my fav of all time!
                    Last edited by parisindy; 25 December 2007, 10:58 PM.
                    Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                    ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                    Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by Luz View Post
                      If a clown like O'neill was in charge of the team on SG1, I don't see why Sheppard wouldn't be in charge, since he's not as big an idiot and a joke as O'neill, and is way hotter.
                      There is a very fine line between heroic and stupid and O'Neill crossed it more times than Sheppard did.

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                      OMG someone dared to do it! You dared to say Sheppard should do Hammond's job!!!! *bows*
                      A commanding officer is Sheppard's position does not have the right to expose himself to unnecessary danger. Doing otherwise may be considered dereliction of duty

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
                      All up to the writers again, how they write those characters. You can't use experience as an argument because it's not the character's fault Atlantis has only had 3 seasons (to me, there are 3 seasons) and SG-1 10.
                      Experience is a very valid factor in real life, so there goes this argument of yours

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                      ooooo i love LOTR! my fav of all time!
                      Very nice movies. Have fun watching them, FH

Comment

Alright, people, my next fanfiction is up. It shows what would've happened had SGA TPTBs obeyed the most basic laws of physics. WARNING: Rated M, 'cause it contains a very graphic description of physical forces affecting human bodies causing a fatal injury. NOT FOR WEAK STOMACHS. This is a link to my ff.net user profile (apparently you can't post direct links to non-PG rated stories). The story is named "How it should have been". The first story relates to episode Adrift

Comment

Oh god... I did that once too, and I was totally gone after twelve hour of TV...

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

And I am about to do the same. I might even do SGA mini marathon and watch some of my favorite episodes.
                            I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                              And I am about to do the same. I might even do SGA mini marathon and watch some of my favorite episodes.
                              Five have been showing Atlantis series 1 this week they showed the Eye today, I heard a lot of 'I don't believe he just did that' and 'If I was his CO I'd....' coming from my OH

Comment

I should do a B5 marathon, that way I see how proper arcs are written again...
                                Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X