Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
    From what I can understand the last series of 4400 still got double the veiwers that SGA is getting now. I give up trying to understand how the minds of TV PTB's work
    You can't compare it 1:1 since the 4400 was broadcasted on USA which is less of a niche channel than SciFi, ergo the idea of what good ratings are will differ on both channels.

As for the minds of TV Execs, they are notorious for making the wrong call. Their main problem is that they don't dare to take real risks because they're afraid to lose money, so they look around and when they see that Reality show MMVII gets better ratings they'll copy that show in the hope of also getting those ratings.

This mindset of "money and ratings are all that matter, and damn originality" is what plagues the commercial stations since it eventually leads to uniformity. Because public broadcasters, such as the BBC, produce their own shows and in general are less governed by this principle, they are capable of creating quality television (We produce, thus when a concept/show is good we'll make money selling it to other channels). Even in a country with a very complex public broadcasting system, the Netherlands, this difference in philosophies between public and commercial broadcasters is quite apparant.

And then there is another thing; the per season renewal. How can a PTB write decent arcs when every year there is a fear of cancellation? It's idiotic to renew a show for its first few years on a per season basis, how can you expect a show to gain a good following in one to three seasons especially for shows that are arc-based (B5)? I think it's time for the PTBs of shows to stand up against this tiranny of the ratings and demand multiple season contracts from the stations. That way they can write plan their stories ahead, multiple season arc, and end their shows properly and when their shows get renewed for a few more seasons that can create a whole arcs for those seasons, it would seriously improve the quality of a lot of shows when they no longer fear extermination every season.

Ah well, I guess that such a thing is too much to ask these days since everything is ratings based.
    Signed,

Gregorius
    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      What are bad Ratings to you?
      0.9?

Because SGA is likely more successful internationally, MGM can front more money to get another season produced. That is likely the case and SGA could be safe for years if the ratings only dip a little from where they are now.
      I have my doubts if SGA is more successful than The 4400 internationally, but yeah, I'm almost sure MGM did front more money to get another season of SGA produced.
      sigpic

Comment

Try money based...

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
          0.9?
          Cool, SGA is getting a 1.3 for this season average to date.

I have my doubts if SGA is more successful than 4400 internationally, but yeah, I'm almost sure MGM did front more money to get another season produced.
          Well I don't know how successful 4400 is internationally. I do know, and this is a fact that SGA is/was bigger than SG-1 nationally for MGM. I can post an article if you like, but you know me, I don't lie about these things.

BTW Mcbarr, getting ready for the holidays?
          Last edited by Briangate78; 20 December 2007, 06:44 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

0.9?
            But then people will argue that these are before DVR +365....

I have my doubts if SGA is more successful than The 4400 internationally, but yeah, I'm almost sure MGM did front more money to get another season of SGA produced.
            I guess it needs to be really spread worldwide, in every country that is able to buy the rights to count the international factor. For example, they don't air Atlantis here but they've aired all of SG-1...No plans on airing SGA as far as I know. Probably not many people watch Scifi things here, that are not Star Wars. I think it wouldn't be fair to say yeh it's really popular all over the world.

Comment

Originally posted by dana View Post
              Nope, only need 3 days.
              sigpic

Comment

what's "365" ?
                Stolen Kosovo
                sigpic

Comment

Cool, SGA is getting a 1.3 for this season average to date.

I have my doubts if SGA is more successful than 4400 internationally, but yeah, I'm almost sure MGM did front more money to get another season produced.
                  Well I don't know how successful 4400 is internationally. I do know, and this is a fact that SGA is bigger than SG-1 nationally for MGM. I can post an article if you like, but you know me, I don't lie about these things.

BTW Mcbarr, getting ready for the holidays? [/QUOTE]

Would you ever stop spinning, Brian? I can live with Live+same day and to certain extent the DVR. But not +365, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                    what's "365" ?
                    I'm just making fun of ratings...if it's +3 days taken into consideration, then it's 365 days for me

Comment

Well I don't know how successful 4400 is internationally. I do know, and this is a fact that SGA is bigger than SG-1 nationally for MGM. I can post an article if you like, but you know me, I don't lie about these things.

BTW Mcbarr, getting ready for the holidays?
                      Would you ever stop spinning, Brian? I can live with Live+same day and to certain extent the DVR. But not +365, sorry.[/QUOTE]

After what the network announced, DVR is very important now, since it is adding more viewers that watch the commercials. Seriously though when the show is on so late, do you think it's bad that people wait till the next day to watch it?
                      sigpic

Comment

Okay, all us international peeps....

Country + SGA or SG1 + which season are you at? + when?

Belgium - gotten all of SG1 - currently showing season 3 of Atlantis (next episode = Common Ground) - Sundays at 6pm.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Czech Republic - whole 10 seasons of SG-1, no SGA
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Skiffy has been suffering from low ratings for a while and NBC is now apparently in trouble too, having to refund ad costs because the ratings are so low. The strike is only going to make things worse for networks. Are they going to hang onto weaker shows like SGA or dump them when the going gets really tough?

Interesting commentary from the USA network execs:

USA Executive VP of Original Programming, Jeff Wachtel, says of his network's decision, "We wish we could keep all our great shows alive forever. But we feel we need to give some of our new shows a platform to grow, and it's with great sadness that we say goodbye to two shows that had a great run and helped create the resurgence of original programming on our network and on all of cable."

Gee, that could easily apply to SGA, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                              Czech Republic - whole 10 seasons of SG-1, no SGA
                              What g.o.d. said.

Comment

Germany: All of SG1, currently showing SGA season 3 (last episode: The Return, both parts)

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Working...
                                X