Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    They're not gone, just laying low. Gathering ammo to attack certain scenes in Adrift. In fact I'm willing to bet I could write out their complaints now and save them the time. Don't mod me. I'm sure whatever happens will be Weir's fault somehow.

I must admit closing that other Weir discussion thread did wonders. Thanks Mods. Nothing to see here.

LOL. I think you're right about closing that thread. Wow, did that hit new lows of nastiness.

There has to be something about women in positions of power that just generates hostility and scrutiny that no male in the same position has to face. This seems to be true in fiction, as well in the real world. I saw an article recently that said when women get angry, regardless of whether or not it's justified, they are viewed as being over emotional or out of control. But if a man gets angry, he's just angry (regardless of justification). And women are just as guilty as men when it comes to how they perceive other women. It's kind of sad statement.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
      LOL. I think you're right about closing that thread. Wow, did that hit new lows of nastiness.

There has to be something about women in positions of power that just generates hostility and scrutiny that no male in the same position has to face. This seems to be true in fiction, as well in the real world. I saw an article recently that said when women get angry, regardless of whether or not it's justified, they are viewed as being over emotional or out of control. But if a man gets angry, he's just angry (regardless of justification). And women are just as guilty as men when it comes to how they perceive other women. It's kind of sad statement.
      I totally agree with you on this. Women are scrutinized, more so than a man would be for the same decision. Heck I witness this IRL almost every other day.

I am on the anti couch today, since I had a wonderful Sparky dream last night, and made me realize how much I will miss Weir.
      sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
        I totally agree with you on this. Women are scrutinized, more so than a man would be for the same decision. Heck I witness this IRL almost every other day.

I am on the anti couch today, since I had a wonderful Sparky dream last night, and made me realize how much I will miss Weir.
        Know just how you feel. I have a permanent seat on the anti-couch. The level of anti-ness changes from day to day, but it is always there lurking in the background. LOL.
        sigpic

Comment

LOL. I think you're right about closing that thread. Wow, did that hit new lows of nastiness.<snip>
          i still think its unfair that it was only weir threads... but hey at this point i am so past caring
          Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
          ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
          Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

only for those who are interested (no pressure at all cause i realize not everyone agrees and thats cool)

i started an anti keller thread
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=46329
            Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

I gained my degree in psychology studying this subject - so i happen to know a LOT about it. The whole thing is complicated, but it comes down to this. This is a man's world. The men are supposed to be in positions of power. A woman who executes power and does a good job threatnes the well learned "order" of things; or as they should be according to everything we were taught from our childhood through the whole life. Women should be gentle, delicate, quiet, sensitive, passive. They should be housekeepers and not leaders. If they do a good job in keadership it's not good because that threatnes a lot of insecure male's egos. If she makes a mistake it just proves the fact that women shouldn't execute power, because it's simply not natural. It's a no win situation.

One more thing. Did you ever notice that Carter is written mostly like a man? She is a soldier, she lacks femininity, and her character isn't so complex - most of the things she does on the show has to do with technobebble. She was SG - 1's token woman. Where are the deep (romantic, even!) feelings? They might be hinted at but not really adressed. Where are the mistakes? There are none - okay maybe just one. But my point is, her character doesn't threaten the concept of male dominating world like Elizabeth's. (and the way they write Carter is again another form of discrimination - fine, we'll ahve a woman in the show, and she gets to be a soldier too, but she won't be a real woman. Really great.) *phew* The psychologist in me just gets angry every time I encounter prejudice and discrimination against women.

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
              only for those who are interested (no pressure at all cause i realize not everyone agrees and thats cool)

i started an anti keller thread
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=46329
              Been there. Posted my first post. Still feeling anti.

Oh and not to forget the cheering up parisindy requested: I got engaged. Felt too happy to feel anti.
              I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                Been there. Posted my first post. Still feeling anti.

Oh and not to forget the cheering up parisindy requested: I got engaged. Felt too happy to feel anti.
                OMG! SQUEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Huge congrates!
                after the day i have had that is really good news... very happy for you!
                Spoiler:

Comment

Thank you very much!!! SQEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! (now did I just hear sqeeeing in the anti thread? yup! I caused it!! can't believe it, but it's happening!!!)

Comment

I gained my degree in psychology studying this subject - so i happen to know a LOT about it. The whole thing is complicated, but it comes down to this. This is a man's world. The men are supposed to be in positions of power. A woman who executes power and does a good job threatnes the well learned "order" of things; or as they should be according to everything we were taught from our childhood through the whole life. Women should be gentle, delicate, quiet, sensitive, passive. They should be housekeepers and not leaders. If they do a good job in keadership it's not good because that threatnes a lot of insecure male's egos. If she makes a mistake it just proves the fact that women shouldn't execute power, because it's simply not natural. It's a no win situation.

One more thing. Did you ever notice that Carter is written mostly like a man? She is a soldier, she lacks femininity, and her character isn't so complex - most of the things she does on the show has to do with technobebble. She was SG - 1's token woman. Where are the deep (romantic, even!) feelings? They might be hinted at but not really adressed. Where are the mistakes? There are none - okay maybe just one. But my point is, her character doesn't threaten the concept of male dominating world like Elizabeth's. (and the way they write Carter is again another form of discrimination - fine, we'll ahve a woman in the show, and she gets to be a soldier too, but she won't be a real woman. Really great.) *phew* The psychologist in me just gets angry every time I encounter prejudice and discrimination against women.
                    okay i may have commented on this before but i loved your post so i'll say it again

i am female.. hehe not a real revelation that hehe

i have always respected the 'warrior type' woman... being ex military and a martial arts girl, but i mean that type of character has been done to death. Really i got to say its hard to find a true and realistic female character

they are either... super warrior woman or damsel in distress

for me the closest we have come to a true female character was torri/liz

she was strong and smart without being warrior woman, she was/is vulnerable and made mistakes yet is far from being a damsel. I loved all the characters before the end of season 3 ..it was the first time in a long time i felt tptb got it right.... i guess to quote robert frost.... 'nothing gold can stay'
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Thank you very much!!! SQEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! (now did I just hear sqeeeing in the anti thread? yup! I caused it!! can't believe it, but it's happening!!!)
                      okay i know its off topic but still details girl! details!
                      Spoiler:

Comment

okay i may have commented on this before but i loved your post so i'll say it again

i have always respected the 'warrior type' woman... being ex military and a martial arts girl, but i mean that type of character has been done to death. Really i got to say its hard to find a true and realistic female character

she was strong and smart without being warrior woman, she was/is vulnerable and made mistakes yet is far from being a damsel. I loved all the characters before the end of season 3 ..it was the first time in a long time i felt tptb got it right.... i guess to quote robert frost.... 'nothing gold can stay'
                        Elizbaeth was such a complex character from the start. She might have seemed a bit idealistic in the beginning, but remeber "38 minutes" and the way she confronted Kavanaugh. She wasn't sure about what options they have, will their plan work, but she stood behind every single decision she made, wrong or right. That makes her my heroine. She seems realistic and not perfect - but hey who in this world is perfect? What was that what landry told her? "Succes is not final, faliure is not fatal, it's the strenght to continue that counts." That's something everybody in this world can use and learn from.

I don't like "warrior princess" type (couldn't watch Xena. It was sooo... ugh). Damsel in distress makes me wanna vomit. female characters I really like are Elizabeth, Captain Janeway (who was criticized just like Elizabeth) and Laura Roslin.

Comment

ooo love janeway!

hehe off to bed its after 4am i will give a proper response tomorrow
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Elizbaeth was such a complex character from the start. She might have seemed a bit idealistic in the beginning, but remeber "38 minutes" and the way she confronted Kavanaugh. She wasn't sure about what options they have, will their plan work, but she stood behind every single decision she made, wrong or right. That makes her my heroine. She seems realistic and not perfect - but hey who in this world is perfect? What was that what landry told her? "Succes is not final, faliure is not fatal, it's the strenght to continue that counts." That's something everybody in this world can use and learn from.

I don't like "warrior princess" type (couldn't watch Xena. It was sooo... ugh). Damsel in distress makes me wanna vomit. female characters I really like are Elizabeth, Captain Janeway (who was criticized just like Elizabeth) and Laura Roslin.
                            I may cause trouble for saying this so what else is new, but that is why I think I could never get into Teyla. The "warrior princess" has just been done to death. It goes back to Burroughs' "A Princess of Mars", one of my all time favorite series of books, but it seems like every TV series today has to have at least one scantily-clad alien warrior woman who speaks in perfect sentences and is wise beyond her years. What a cliche! I loved Dejah Thoris, but there was only one of her and IMHO Teyla is no Dejah Thoris. OT: Burroughs' description of her. Sound familiar?
                            Spoiler:
                            And the sight which met my eyes was that of a slender, girlish figure, similar in every detail to the earthly women of my past life... Her face was oval and beautiful in the extreme, her every feature was finely chiseled and exquisite, her eyes large and lustrous and her head surmounted by a mass of coal black, waving hair, caught loosely into a strange yet becoming coiffure. Her skin was of a light reddish copper color, against which the crimson glow of her cheeks and the ruby of her beautifully molded lips shone with a strangely enhancing effect.
                            She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure.
                            She was a leader also and had to frequently be rescued by John Carter, our hero and her love interest.

Now Weir, being a normal Earth woman with flaws and no particular skill with sticks, just doesn't measure up. Carter though, is the Earth version of a warrior princess.
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              I may cause trouble for saying this so what else is new, but that is why I think I could never get into Teyla. The "warrior princess" has just been done to death. It goes back to Burroughs' "A Princess of Mars", one of my all time favorite series of books, but it seems like every TV series today has to have at least one scantily-clad alien warrior woman who speaks in perfect sentences and is wise beyond her years. What a cliche! I loved Dejah Thoris, but there was only one of her and IMHO Teyla is no Dejah Thoris. OT: Burroughs' description of her. Sound familiar?
                              Spoiler:
                              And the sight which met my eyes was that of a slender, girlish figure, similar in every detail to the earthly women of my past life... Her face was oval and beautiful in the extreme, her every feature was finely chiseled and exquisite, her eyes large and lustrous and her head surmounted by a mass of coal black, waving hair, caught loosely into a strange yet becoming coiffure. Her skin was of a light reddish copper color, against which the crimson glow of her cheeks and the ruby of her beautifully molded lips shone with a strangely enhancing effect.
                              She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure.
                              She was a leader also and had to frequently be rescued by John Carter, our hero and her love interest.

Now Weir, being a normal Earth woman with flaws and no particular skill with sticks, just doesn't measure up. Carter though, is the Earth version of a warrior princess.

*cracks up*

This is priceless!! I don't know about Dejah Torris (I think I'm too young!) but the description... *laughs* The perfect looking, wise beyond her years female, who is a great fighter but has to be rescued? OMG, that's warrior princess and damsel in distress all in one!

What I also like about Elizabeth is that she is pretty, can be beautiful, but her looks isn't perfect. makes her all more real to me. Long live the flawed Earth females with brains.

Comment

I don't think Teyla is wise beyond her years, more like wise beyond the experience a farmer should have.
                                she's way too self righteous to fit anywhere near the definition of wise.
                                I always kinda saw her as the type of woman who ends up alone, same as Carter.
                                still the cliche generally holds
                                liked the perfect sentences bit, really cracked me up

I guess Heightmeyer is the only real woman in atlantis left to write for now

Comment

Working...
                                X