Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They better renew Eureka, it's getting better ratings than SGA. Plus zomg I need my happy. I'm still not sure whether SGA will be renewed, I mean Eureka was gone for a year and it still did better than SGA and is doing better than SGA.
    sigpic
    My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
      They better renew Eureka, it's getting better ratings than SGA. Plus zomg I need my happy. I'm still not sure whether SGA will be renewed, I mean Eureka was gone for a year and it still did better than SGA and is doing better than SGA.
      Well, Eureka's a better show. Better writing, better use of characters, better character interactions. Even when the main character saves the day each week, he doesn't do it alone--he may come up with the general idea in layman's terms no less, but it takes the combined efforts of several characters to actually save the town. Occasionally he does the "hero risks his own life to save everyone" schtick, but not all the time.

Too bad SGA decided to toss the ensemble cast style in favor of the buddy-show style. I think they lost a lot of great potential--if you're a huge Rodney and/or John fan, it's not such a big deal, but if you're a fan of one or more of the "lesser characters", you lost something in the changeover.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        Yep, Ron Moore. I found an article here: http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/08/10/ro...nbc-universal/

So it looks like his new shows could show up in a variety of places. I also saw that Flash Gordon did a 1.5 for the premier. They seem to think that's a good thing. Wonder if it'll hold up? Now we can speculate on what all this means for SGA.
        Flash Gordon (or "Flush" Gordon as they are calling it on Skiffy's forums) is just as dreadful as "Painful Jane" (which won't be back). There was a lot of advertising and hype which is why FG got the 1.5 rating, but that will tumble this week. Today Skiffy announced they are sticking 2-3 minute snips of BSG's "Razor" in upcoming "Flush", er, ah, "Flash" episodes in a feeble attempt to keep people watching.

Bad, or good nooz, depending on how one looks at it, is that FG will be the lead-in to SGA on Friday nights. Poor SGA. Everyone will fall asleep in FG prior to their show.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

blah i feel like i am playing dodge ball with spoilers... i just don't want to know anymore
          Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
          ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
          Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
            blah i feel like i am playing dodge ball with spoilers... i just don't want to know anymore
            It just seems like it gets worse and worse, doesn't it?

Comment

Well, it sure isn't getting any better. Nothing I accidentally hear or read makes me feel better about s4. Not interested in what they're offering at all. All I wanna see is what they're planning to do with Elizabeth.
              Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
              at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

truly there is nothing redeeming
                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                  truly there is nothing redeeming
                  Nope..only recurring. (All right, bad joke I know...)
                  sigpic
                  Humor is the great thing, the saving thing after all. The minute it crops up, all our hardnesses yield, all our irritations, and resentments flit away, and a sunny spirit takes their place. --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kimaken View Post
                    Well, Eureka's a better show. Better writing, better use of characters, better character interactions. Even when the main character saves the day each week, he doesn't do it alone--he may come up with the general idea in layman's terms no less, but it takes the combined efforts of several characters to actually save the town. Occasionally he does the "hero risks his own life to save everyone" schtick, but not all the time.

Too bad SGA decided to toss the ensemble cast style in favor of the buddy-show style. I think they lost a lot of great potential--if you're a huge Rodney and/or John fan, it's not such a big deal, but if you're a fan of one or more of the "lesser characters", you lost something in the changeover.
                    Lol, how can you be anti s4 and pick that as one of the worst points for the show? One of the big points of season 4 is to balance that, and to give Ronon and Teyla better development and balance it out. And one of the biggest benefits of SG-1 getting cancelled, is that the writing on Atlantis should improve dramatically, with no excuse for 'Irresponsible' type episodes. I'll admit, I have no way of knowing if this will play out as we have been promised it will. S4 COULD turn out to be crap. It's just from what I have heard, it sounds like the show is generally improving, writing, development and special effects wise. I have a few gripes, but nothing that could stop me watching.

(Don't attack me lol, I'm not trying to start an argument, It's just fun to debate stuff calmly with people around here)

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                      Lol, how can you be anti s4 and pick that as one of the worst points for the show? One of the big points of season 4 is to balance that, and to give Ronon and Teyla better development and balance it out. And one of the biggest benefits of SG-1 getting cancelled, is that the writing on Atlantis should improve dramatically, with no excuse for 'Irresponsible' type episodes. I'll admit, I have no way of knowing if this will play out as we have been promised it will. S4 COULD turn out to be crap. It's just from what I have heard, it sounds like the show is generally improving, writing, development and special effects wise. I have a few gripes, but nothing that could stop me watching.

(Don't attack me lol, I'm not trying to start an argument, It's just fun to debate stuff calmly with people around here)
                      If the only way to give Teyla and Ronon development was to get rid of Carson and Weir, that doesn't say too much about the writers and their ability to tell stories.

If they thought twice at what a bomb Irresponsible and Irrestible were and instead wrote 2 stories that gave Teyla some development, that would've been better.

I think the writing has gone downhill fast and it keeps picking up speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                        If the only way to give Teyla and Ronon development was to get rid of Carson and Weir, that doesn't say too much about the writers and their ability to tell stories.

If they thought twice at what a bomb Irresponsible and Irrestible were and instead wrote 2 stories that gave Teyla some development, that would've been better.

I think the writing has gone downhill fast and it keeps picking up speed.
                        1. Ah! But Carson was killed off before s4 and all this new development was planeed, and before Joe and Paul took over as show runners, when Rob C was still a showrunner. And not only is Joe correcting that by bringing him back, he is writing part 1 of his return himself. And Keller, it seems, will be getting her own fair share of development this year, despite only being in 8 eps! And regarding Weir, if this new storyline takes her character to new and exciting places (both physically and mentally) then it should prove great for both Weir and Elizabeth. I admit it is quite a shame that she won't be around as much, but if this storyline means that every appearance she makes is exciting and thrilling, then IMO it is a good thing.

2. That can only be stated as fact for seasons 1 to 3 at this point in time... No one can say as a fact that the writing for season 4 will be good or not, there is absolutely no way of telling. I think it will be excellent, the best yet, BUT I haven't seen a single episode. I have seen a minute of footage from season 4 at most. I guess we will all have to wait and see

Comment

2. That can only be stated as fact for seasons 1 to 3 at this point in time... No one can say as a fact that the writing for season 4 will be good or not, there is absolutely no way of telling. I think it will be excellent, the best yet, BUT I haven't seen a single episode. I have seen a minute of footage from season 4 at most. I guess we will all have to wait and see
                          Sorry, but just why are you posting this here? This is the anti thread for complaints and misgivings only.
                          sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
                            Sorry, but just why are you posting this here? This is the anti thread for complaints and misgivings only.
                            Because I find it interesting seeing peoples opinions from all over the forum, and doing this calmly and talking stuff through is the only way I can really talk to the people here. It helps understand and get a 'bigger picture' of why people like/dislike season 4, reasoning etc... it's just interesting, and frankly quite nice doing it here because I have found you can do it without having huge arguments

Does anyone really mind debating this stuff with me, in an intelligent way and not in a nasty way like what happens in the rest of the forum? If you guys do I'll leave.

Comment

Because I find it interesting seeing peoples opinions from all over the forum, and doing this calmly and talking stuff through is the only way I can really talk to the people here. It helps understand and get a 'bigger picture' of why people like/dislike season 4, reasoning etc... it's just interesting, and frankly quite nice doing it here because I have found you can do it without having huge arguments

Does anyone really mind debating this stuff with me, in an intelligent way and not in a nasty way like what happens in the rest of the forum? If you guys do I'll leave.
                              Sure, as long as you don't mind if we take this to the pro thread instead. Sorry, but your posts are OT for this thread, maybe start a new one for debate, just make sure you put that it is for both pro and anti comments in the title, okay.
                              sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Lol, how can you be anti s4 and pick that as one of the worst points for the show? One of the big points of season 4 is to balance that, and to give Ronon and Teyla better development and balance it out.
                                IMO, developing Shep, Ronon, and Teyla now, in s4, after 60 episodes, is too little too late. This is the stuff TPTB should have written way back when, instead of tower!babe episodes or Lucius episodes or even mediocre (IMO) episodes like Inferno, Condemned, Aurora, or The Game. They had countless opportunities and they never really followed through. They may be getting their act in gear now, but the fact that it took so long to do so doesn't exactly make me want to give them a gold star.

I believe that many fans gave up on the show a while ago due to poor characterization of its lead characters, and I don't think that fixing it now is going to bring them back. There are so many fans here who love the show and love Shep, love Weir, and/or love Teyla, but have constantly been asking and hoping for more development for their favorite characters. Heck, I'd argue that most of the posters here, anti or pro, would agree that character development isn't as good as it could be. TPTB may be fixing it now, but is it a case of too little, too late?

SGFerrit, I have no problem with your debate here as long as you tread lightly. Many posters here want to post without having to defend themselves, and many attempts at debate on protected threads have ended with insults being tossed at the members within. As someone who's seen it all end poorly many times, I advise any debate here to be open, honest, and polite.

Or as Flynn said, maybe it's a better idea to take it to a new, unprotected thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X