Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JesterDala View Post
    When you slow down and look at things, it can really hit you hard how bad this show is rapidly becoming. IMO the writers never put in the same time and effort they did for the characters on SG-1. I'm sure any SG-1 fan could give you the histories of Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c. But when you're asked about the characters on SGA, the information is spotty at best.

Maybe TPTB have decided that explosions are more interesting than people.
    Exactly my thoughts! I was an avid SG-1 fan (although I didn't become a fan until watching SciFi's former Monday nite multi-ep lineup; by then I knew MS had left and was coming back in S7) and enjoyed the show because of its total ensemble feel. Sure there were eps that featured some characters more so than others, but then those other characters also had eps that featured them--it all evened out. Even Hammond and Frasier had key scenes and eps where their respective roles really shined. It wasn't ALWAYS just about Jack and Daniel. However, I think that may have been because Jack and Daniel weren't oriignal characters--the writers had to follow the canon established in the movie for their backstories, but that also allowed them to have 2 well established characters from the get-go and gave them time to build up their own 2 original characters, as well as develop their regularly recurring characters.

I don't know why SGA's writers couldn't get the hang of writing for an ensemble. They did pretty good with S1, but in my opinion, they made a huge mistake in focusing almost exclusively on McKay (first) and Sheppard (second) as the only main characters worth writing. For me, it's hard to enjoy a show that you already know what's going to happen (McKay and Shep will snark a lot at each other and/or at others; McKay's brilliance and Shep's bravery will result in saving the day for whatever crisis is at hand. No matter what danger they may find themselves in, the next week they'll be back to normal, with no linger after effects from the previous week's adventure. Only supporting main and recurring characters will ever be permanently disabled (Bates), disappear (Ford, maybe Weir?), or die (Grodin, Beckett).

Comment

Originally posted by kimaken View Post
      I don't know why SGA's writers couldn't get the hang of writing for an ensemble. They did pretty good with S1, but in my opinion, they made a huge mistake in focusing almost exclusively on McKay (first) and Sheppard (second) as the only main characters worth writing. For me, it's hard to enjoy a show that you already know what's going to happen (McKay and Shep will snark a lot at each other and/or at others; McKay's brilliance and Shep's bravery will result in saving the day for whatever crisis is at hand. No matter what danger they may find themselves in, the next week they'll be back to normal, with no linger after effects from the previous week's adventure. Only supporting main and recurring characters will ever be permanently disabled (Bates), disappear (Ford, maybe Weir?), or die (Grodin, Beckett).

after reading through the comments this afternoon, something kept nagging at me and i finally figured out what it is... i wonder, if its not so much that tptb have a hard time writing sga as much as they have a hard time writing non-off world epis. sg1 have mostly off world epis and the main team, the main characters, are off world characters, but sga is not like that and you can tell that they did try. i know i am pulling this off the top of my head so i am probably wrong but it seems at least every other epi on sga happened in atlantis, which allowed the characters that usually are absent in off world epis to be present. we got to know elizabeth because of the conflicts in atlants, beckett and grodin and zelenka the same thing... characters that would usually stay on world got screen time because of the tendency of tptb to write atlantis epis

but now, they want a new direction, a new direction that has those characters, those onworld characters, suddenly disappearing. elizabeth stayed on atlantis because she is head of atlantis, and yes, carter will be too, but i remember joe saying that the reason that they liked carter is because she is versatile and can go off world... which still does not make sense to me, how can she be an effective leader of atlantis and be off world. now. elizabeth is gone. carson didnt like going off world... said so in a couple different episodes, so no more carson. grodin was just a tech that went off world once, and died. the only one that has survived is zelenka. of course, my theory doesnt explain ford but... well, he is a special case i do believe he just fell out of the universe for no apparent reason.

anyway. conspiracy mode again it seems... but really, maybe that is the new direction... moving off world, more epis off world, focusing more exclusively on the off world team...

wait.

*looks around to make sure i am not talking about sg1*

edit: and what sucks thoroughly is that some of my favorite epis were atlantis epis... of course, some of my favorite epis were elizabeth epis too, so that might explain it, but seriously, that had some very cool atlantis epis and it is really sad if said direction is really where they are going with it. there is still so much to know about atlantis... and then we can get some shep ata info in there too. win/win. WHY DOES NO ONE LISTEN TO ME!! wait. thats right. i am a fan.
      Last edited by crazylizzie; 27 July 2007, 11:45 AM.
      sigpic
      thanks Erised for the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by crazylizzie View Post
        after reading through the comments this afternoon, something kept nagging at me and i finally figured out what it is... i wonder, if its not so much that tptb have a hard time writing sga as much as they have a hard time writing non-off world epis. sg1 have mostly off world epis and the main team, the main characters, are off world characters, but sga is not like that and you can tell that they did try. i know i am pulling this off the top of my head so i am probably wrong but it seems at least every other epi on sga happened in atlantis, which allowed the characters that usually are absent in off world epis to be present. we got to know elizabeth because of the conflicts in atlants, beckett and grodin and zelenka the same thing... characters that would usually stay on world got screen time because of the tendency of tptb to write atlantis epis

but now, they want a new direction, a new direction that has those characters, those onworld characters, suddenly disappearing. elizabeth stayed on atlantis because she is head of atlantis, and yes, carter will be too, but i remember joe saying that the reason that they liked carter is because she is versatile and can go off world... which still does not make sense to me, how can she be an effective leader of atlantis and be off world. now. elizabeth is gone. carson didnt like going off world... said so in a couple different episodes, so no more carson. grodin was just a tech that went off world once, and died. the only one that has survived is zelenka. of course, my theory doesnt explain ford but... well, he is a special case i do believe he just fell out of the universe for no apparent reason.

anyway. conspiracy mode again it seems... but really, maybe that is the new direction... moving off world, more epis off world, focusing more exclusively on the off world team...

wait.

*looks around to make sure i am not talking about sg1*
        I think you are absolutely onto something. They have said that S4 will be more "team" oriented, and the team to them means the off-world team. As I've said before the SG-1ification of SGA has begun. If there is a S5, I think it will be complete, and we'll see no more Atlantis-based episodes. The whole original premise of the show will be changed. This makes some people happy, but not me.

Wow, 2 frownies in one paragraph. I am certainly anti today.
        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

The need for a "new direction" (or shall we call it good ole direction *cough* sg - 1 *cough*) means you messed something up. I know a thing or two about writing, I'm an amateur myself 8but I'm steadily improving) and one of the main things is that you know where and how the story is going to end when you begin it. Or if you can't do that, you should at least have a plan or a vision for general direction of the story (that's good when you're doing a project so huge and complex like a TV show).

A great example of well written show with both action, good plots, loads of explosions and excellent character development is Star Trek Deep Space Nine. The story had continuity, the action was great, plotlines were interesting and every single character had it's episodes and background - everything was important and adressed as such. There was no major cast changes up to end of season six. But something like that isn't easy to do. i guess it takes lots of work, effort and creativity over money - induced reasons (like ratings? SG - 1 fans? I don't know).
          I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by JesterDala View Post
            Maybe TPTB have decided that explosions are more interesting than people.
            Well, that certainly explains the reason why Carson isn't around anymore. I guess I'm feeling a bit cheeky today.
            sigpic
            Humor is the great thing, the saving thing after all. The minute it crops up, all our hardnesses yield, all our irritations, and resentments flit away, and a sunny spirit takes their place. --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by YappiChick View Post
              Well, that certainly explains the reason why Carson isn't around anymore. I guess I'm feeling a bit cheeky today.
              Yes, it does explain!
              sigpic

Comment

From Comic Con.

Someone asked whether the show could go for 10 years, and a rep from Sci Fi channel said that people need to watch the show without using Tivo but watch it as it is broadcast instead."

MWAHAHAHAHAHA.

I completely forgot that today was the sga panel, I thought it was tomorrow but maybe its just because I was thinking about Heroes.
                sigpic
                My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

i love comic con.. i'm going next year i hope
                  gads i dislike JS, glad i didn't go this year...except for one thing

*sob* my supernatural boys are going *sob*

man i accidentally clicked on the anti-weir thread cause it started with 'anti'
                  i didn't read it just ran away..but i feel ...soiled
                  Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                  ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                  Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                    man i accidentally clicked on the anti-weir thread cause it started with 'anti'
                    i didn't read it just ran away..but i feel ...soiled
                    This thread, on the other hand, is under constant surveillance. Take a look at the number of views...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
                      Someone asked whether the show could go for 10 years, and a rep from Sci Fi channel said that people need to watch the show without using Tivo but watch it as it is broadcast instead."

Very funny. These network people have got to get a clue. Watching live broadcasts is just going to get less and less popular, not more, and there's nothing the TV industry can do to stop it. They need to stop worrying about getting people to watch live and figure out a new system before it gets away from them altogether.
                      - Life after Stargate -
                      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                        This thread, on the other hand, is under constant surveillance. Take a look at the number of views...
                        oh yeah i know, i don't mind let them lurk

@ non anti lurkers hehehehhe (j/k)

Hallowed are the Anti's!
                        Last edited by parisindy; 27 July 2007, 05:28 PM.
                        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                          Very funny. These network people have got to get a clue. Watching live broadcasts is just going to get less and less popular, not more, and there's nothing the TV industry can do to stop it. They need to stop worrying about getting people to watch live and figure out a new system before it gets away from them altogether.
                          watching broadcasts live is like listening to cd's
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                            watching broadcasts live is like listening to cd's
                            Hahaha.... that one took me a minute. My first reaction was, hey wait, I still listen to cds.
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                              Hahaha.... that one took me a minute. My first reaction was, hey wait, I still listen to cds.
                              hehehehehhehehehehehe
                              green you if i could hehe
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Watch live if you want more seasons of SGA. Sounds like blackmail to me.

BTW, I still listen to CDs too.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X