Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Anuna is back to do professional analysis*

(but you were not so bad yourselves, guys!!)

I know this is the anti thread, and not character study thread, so I'll put everything under spoiler tabs, so who doesn't want to read my ramble, can easily skip. To stay on topic, let me just say, S4 sucks. There you go. Now let's look into Sheps head.

Spoiler:
    The coin tossing scene tells pretty much everything about him. Like crazylizzie said, it struck a chord. I instantly liked him, actually no - I liked his reaction when he was back with O'Neill in helicopter. he was given a lifetime opportunity and yet he was so reluctant to leave the career that really truly sucked. i mean, USAF officer who's ass is freezing off in Antartica, and he claims he likes it there. You believed him? When I saw the coin tossing scene I did. That was the lonliest man on earth.

On with the analysis. There is something that psychotherapists call "be strong" personality. Both Shep and Ronon belong into this chategory. But I'll concentrate on Shep this time.

"Be strong" characters are truly amazing people - they don't whine, they will always be there to help you, even through the worse (remember episodes like Sateda); they won't complain. They are loyal, they give a lot,b ut they don't ask and recieve attention from people in return. Why? Their deepest fear is that they are not worthy of being loved and cared about - and if they let people get close to them, they are exposed and take a risk to be abandoned. And being abandoned is their greatest fear, because it confirms the deeply rooted belief they are not worthy of love. Those people don't fear death as much as being left behind and forgotten. on the other hand they can lay their lives for others - the ultimate giving gesture.
    Now you could say 'Shep isn't really like that' but here are my arguments.

He likes Antartica. He is alone, isolated, doesn't need to be close and connected to anyone - and that is fine by him. After he failed to save those teammates in Afganistan, military punished him (for doing something that was a good deed and his duty - in his eyes - because he doesn't leave his people behind; and that is not only a military motto, but for him it's a life motto too). If military was something like a family for him before afganistan, or at least a structure with rules where he felt safe and was able to do something good, that "family" confirmed his deep belief: he isn't worthy (of being loved, cared about, respected...). When he is offered the chance to actually get out of Antartica, the prospect of losing that safety scares him. There will be new people and he might get to like them. And that could hurt him and prove all over again, that he is not worthy of human contact.

Coin tossing. Look at his face expression. Doesn't he look sad and alone? And yes, there are no flashbacks, no family, no friends. He is literally alone. The worse thing happened to him - there is nobody who'd confirm he is a worthy human being.

Women. Kissing them left and right is done for fun, but there are no really deep feelings. We know he was married and that it didn't work out. It's not easy to be married to "be strong" person. It's a hard job to get feelings out of them, they hide them,a nd no matter how much you try to give them something back (love, affection...) they don't take it - they don't believe they deserve it. Shep's ex probbably felt she couldn't reach him at some point and left him, which proved, in his eyes, he was no marriage/ deep and meaningful relationship material. So flirting is fine. But no love.

But no matter how careful he is, and how much he tried to distance himself from people and not let them inside his walls (and he does have them); he begins liking Atlantis and people there. You can't really turn your heart off. So what happens? he has found a new gamily to which he is deeply loyal. he doesn't ask much, but he is ready to sacrifice himself in any way to keep them and the city safe. Examples - The Eye, Siege 2, The Real World. Loosing that new family, and people who accept him for what he is, is more scaring prospect than dieing in order to save them.

That brings me to "Epiphany" and his beard. At first I thought the beard was there to show how much time has passed since he entered the time dilation field, but later I wondered why he didn't shave it off?? I wathced episode once, but couldn't reach conclusion until I made a video concentrated around that particular episode. He never liked the beard. The fact is - he neglected himself in a way because he was generally feeling down. He didn't know why he was left behind for such a long time, and nobody came to bring him home. Did his friends give up on him? All the while he refused to truly join the new community he found himself in. he never really fell in love with Teer, he kept a significant distance. When the team finally came for him, first thing he did was to yell at them - he expected them to care. he was terrified he would be abandoned again.

To sum things up, think of his talk with Teyla in "Sateda". Teyla did a great job of analyzing him IIRC. (she could be a great psychologist!) But he didn't feel very good when she confronted him with things that he usually hides (the most wulnerable aspects of his personality). by the end of the conversation he can't even look back at her.

The flyboy attitude, snark, smartass comments, flirting - all of that is a mask underneath which is a person that is hungry for care and affection, but to scared to ask that from people.

Huh! There you go. Hope you are satisfied. Everything that I said about Shep is something I learned "reading between the lines" - because I am actually trained to do that, but I agree - it would be nice to learn something about his past "for real".
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

huh. you, my dear, do indeed analyze very well.

but i would still like to know more. more actual fact about his past, and i still wonder why we are not given it.

ps. you dont happen to be a lit freak do you?
      sigpic
      thanks Erised for the sig!

Comment

I'm a psychologist and a psychotherapist - to - be. Is that scary enough for ya?

I agree, they should tell us more about our flyboy.

Comment

Originally posted by crazylizzie View Post
          but i would still like to know more. more actual fact about his past, and i still wonder why we are not given it.
          O'Neill received a better treatment on SG-1 in terms of background stories. Either TPTB don't know how to write anymore, or they're hiding something, IMO.
          sigpic

Comment

My guess is that John's dad messed him up. It's something that usually happens with people that share his type of personality in RL.

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
              O'Neill received a better treatment on SG-1 in terms of background stories. Either TPTB don't know how to write anymore, or they're hiding something, IMO.
              But O'Neill (and Jackson) weren't characters created by the SG-1 writers--they were characters from the original movie, which gave us a lot of their backstory! The SG-1 writers did a lot with Carter (their favorite character creation) and quite a bit with Teal'c (another of their character creations); they even did more with all their other original characters than they did with any of the SGA characters, with the lone exception of McKay.

Comment

Originally posted by kimaken View Post
                But O'Neill (and Jackson) weren't characters created by the SG-1 writers--they were characters from the original movie, which gave us a lot of their backstory! The SG-1 writers did a lot with Carter (their favorite character creation) and quite a bit with Teal'c (another of their character creations); they even did more with all their other original characters than they did with any of the SGA characters, with the lone exception of McKay.
                That's true. Interestingly enough, Carter and Teal'c are the first SG-1 characters to step in Atlantis now that SG-1 is over. Hmmm, am I reading too much into this? But SGA characters are also TPTB's creations, so they should treat them with more respect, don't you think?
                sigpic

Comment

i will be back to reply to the conversation later
                  which i love btw... you guys soooo rock

anti's rule! screw the ori

Hallowed are the Anti's
                  Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                  ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                  Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                    I'm a psychologist and a psychotherapist - to - be. Is that scary enough for ya?

I agree, they should tell us more about our flyboy.
                    And a fine one you will be. You can analyze me anytime. Well...maybe.

I think TPTB have not really nailed down the specifics on Shep yet. Everytime they get close to doing a background ep on him, they back off or take the easy way out *coughphantomscough*. Let's hope S4 will be different.
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by crazylizzie View Post
                      he is an enigma, isnt he? there is that scene at the very beggining, the flipping of the coin, which struck a chord with me, he seemed so alone, especially in contrast to elizabeth speaking to simon and the scene with ford and his grandparents, and right there is i think the root of the enigma. every other character there is flashbacks of some kind in regards to the character. you see carson with his mum, and mckay is already an established character and you have the epi with his sister... but what about shep's family? was there a family? i keep thinking his dad was military but i think that was just because of the fanfic i have read out there that has made it so. and then the whole introvert vs. extrovert thing, you hit it right on because there is no consistency between the two. i mean this man reads war and peace, abliet slowly, but still, but then finds himself kissing women right and left... or at least charming them. obviously he is an excellent military man... see the storm for a good indication of the military tactics especially, but then he turns around and bucked the military (one of the few pieces we do know about his past). so it interests me... why do we know so little? he is a regular character, unlike poor lovely elizabeth who had almost two entire episodes dedicated entirely to her and who is not reaccuring.
                      i'm totally an introvert and its kind of neat to think of shep that way. I like to think about this issues he is a great character study for sure.

I think after the death of his friend in Afghanistan he is a bit gun shy to make friends again but he found himself caring for the people of Atlantis despite himself (this is all conjecture). I think he has had loss in his family and his parents are either dead or maybe his dad is alive hard to say but i think either way the black mark against him wouldn't have sat well with his father.

I think since he took the chance to care for these people again he at times holds them a little to close thats why i think the loss of carson and liz will hit him hard and tptb and dough heads for not dealing with that issue at all.

I love that shep has that black mark i love his flaws and that while though he is the protagonist he is still the underdog.
                      Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                      ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                      Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                        And a fine one you will be. You can analyze me anytime. Well...maybe.

I think TPTB have not really nailed down the specifics on Shep yet. Everytime they get close to doing a background ep on him, they back off or take the easy way out *coughphantomscough*. Let's hope S4 will be different.
                        That is too scary for me to try! Kidding! I agree with you SR, it seems that tptb didn't decide what happened to Shep before we saw him in that helicopter.

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                          That's true. Interestingly enough, Carter and Teal'c are the first SG-1 characters to step in Atlantis now that SG-1 is over. Hmmm, am I reading too much into this? But SGA characters are also TPTB's creations, so they should treat them with more respect, don't you think?
                          They don't know what respect for SGA characters means. I haven't even realized how screwed up this show is character-development-wise until I stopped and thought after they decided to get rid of Elizabeth. As long as everything is going well enough you don't stop to think something is wrong, not until it hits you ugly.

I've been lurking only the last few days but I do enjoy all of your posts. *hugs the antis* We truly care for the show, the way it should be and was from the beginning.

I'll try to green as many of you as possible.
                          Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                          at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Thank you guys for your greens! I feel so loved!

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
                              They don't know what respect for SGA characters means. I haven't even realized how screwed up this show is character-development-wise until I stopped and thought after they decided to get rid of Elizabeth. As long as everything is going well enough you don't stop to think something is wrong, not until it hits you ugly.

I've been lurking only the last few days but I do enjoy all of your posts. *hugs the antis* We truly care for the show, the way it should be and was from the beginning.

I'll try to green as many of you as possible.
                              When you slow down and look at things, it can really hit you hard how bad this show is rapidly becoming. IMO the writers never put in the same time and effort they did for the characters on SG-1. I'm sure any SG-1 fan could give you the histories of Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c. But when you're asked about the characters on SGA, the information is spotty at best.

Maybe TPTB have decided that explosions are more interesting than people.

fanfiction.net/~JesterDala

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
                                I've been lurking here too lately. I'm just feeling so ... blah ... about S4.

Comment

Working...
                                X