Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome back, paris!!

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
    This really isn't fair. Sam is not the only girl character in Stargate that should be respected. I lurk in the Anti Season 10 thread and you should see how they rail against Vala and they also do it in general discussion threads too they make some vicious comments about the character. I think the shoe is on the other foot myself Sam coming to SGA is doing what the Sam fans feared about Vala doing to SG-1. Their main beef with Vala from I can see it took screen time away from Sam her storyline wasn't as prominent as previous seasons but at least Sam was still there unlike Weir who got demoted and replaced and will only be there for 4 episodes. This is the impression I get from them Vala took over the show and ruined it but it is OK for Sam to come in and replace someone.
    This is interesting, thanks for sharing. I really don't get that either, the situation is somewhat similar (in the way that they could understand us) but different because our favorite character is gone (while their wasn't) while she's coming over to the show (much, much worse).
    Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
    at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      Guys, the only reason there's a moritorium on weir talk is because the pro weir and the anti weir folks are incapable of DISCUSSING it. All they - or to be fair a small number on both sides - want to do is lob insults at each other, harrass each other and generally behave like spoiled brats.

We've tried for months to broker some peace and calm things down...it hasn't worked and we're sick and tired of the endless fighting.

You want to diss sam, go for it. She's been a target for years and, as a sam fan, i don't care what people say or think about her. Bash her to your hearts content. Just keep it to the appropriate threads and keep it within the rules.

However, let's lose the 'other fans' comments. Spending their time worrying about what 'other fans' were saying and doing is precisely what started the whole Weir mess.
      Don't ya just love forum moderation?

Anyway, I am on the fence with the whole thing, yes Weir is a great character, so is Carter. We cannot have them both but at least we will have Weir for a bunch of eps. I try to stay optomistic that season 4 will be great, so we can get to a Season 5(which looks really good now)

I feel people who don't watch the show anymore really are not giving it a fair chance , IMHO. You are entitled to your opinion, I totally respect it! Of course this thread topic is not like that at all from what I read. The fans here are just making complaints about S4, but are still going to watch it, so i give props to you. Who knows what could happen next season. But hey voice your opinions because TPTB DO listen to the fans when their voice is loud enough.

Remember, Keep the Faith you never know if things could end up to your liking again down the road.
      sigpic

Comment

Guys, the only reason there's a moritorium on weir talk is because the pro weir and the anti weir folks are incapable of DISCUSSING it. All they - or to be fair a small number on both sides - want to do is lob insults at each other, harrass each other and generally behave like spoiled brats.

You want to diss sam, go for it. She's been a target for years and, as a sam fan, i don't care what people say or think about her. Bash her to your hearts content. Just keep it to the appropriate threads and keep it within the rules.
        I'm actually with paris on this one. How is this situation different from Carter-talk? I see people lobbing insults to each other in the Carter-discussion threads as well, and yet it's spared from a moritorium.

Are the insults not as bad or something?

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
          This really isn't fair. Sam is not the only girl character in Stargate that should be respected. I lurk in the Anti Season 10 thread and you should see how they rail against Vala and they also do it in general discussion threads too they make some vicious comments about the character. I think the shoe is on the other foot myself Sam coming to SGA is doing what the Sam fans feared about Vala doing to SG-1. Their main beef with Vala from I can see it took screen time away from Sam her storyline wasn't as prominent as previous seasons but at least Sam was still there unlike Weir who got demoted and replaced and will only be there for 4 episodes. This is the impression I get from them Vala took over the show and ruined it but it is OK for Sam to come in and replace someone.
          Well you sure haven't read and understood the other thread very well then have you. Most of the arguments in the SG-1 anti threads are about how TPTB broke their own canon and ruined almost all the characters, how they have little quality control, little planning and have turned to writing by formula; all to the detriment of the show. You'd actually get more intelligent discussion over here if you (general you) raised your game and stopped childishly whinging about other fans and favourite characters and got down to discussing some of the serious technical problems about the show.

A lot of the problems I, and others, saw with the later seasons of SG-1 are evident to a lesser degree on Atlantis. Certainly the writing to a formula without a vast amount of creativity is evident. Their penchant for not developing or not working a character in well so they get rid of them is a sad comment on their writing abilities and lack of direction and creativity.

S4 is definitely going to be make or break with them for the series. SGA was in trouble before the cast changes in late S3 and the cast changes alone are not what will make or break the show it is what TPTB decide to do with them and how well the changes are implemented. The only thing going for them is that they have two new showrunners, so there is a possibility that the mistakes of previous seasons will not be repeated. The downside to that is that M&M are a product of the culture that have shown little finesse in producing three seasons of Atlantis. Will they step up to the plate and deliver a decent showing? I'm doubtful but I'm willing to be surprised.

So long as no long range planning is done, not keeping characters in character, writing for all the characters instead of one or two at a time, stop sacrificing characters for plot, removing characters left right and centre; so long as they persist with doing this and not addressing the underlying problems with the show then the show will fail.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            Well you sure haven't read and understood the other thread very well then have you. Most of the arguments in the SG-1 anti threads are about how TPTB broke their own canon and ruined almost all the characters, how they have little quality control, little planning and have turned to writing by formula; all to the detriment of the show. You'd actually get more intelligent discussion over here if you (general you) raised your game and stopped childishly whinging about other fans and favourite characters and got down to discussing some of the serious technical problems about the show.

A lot of the problems I, and others, saw with the later seasons of SG-1 are evident to a lesser degree on Atlantis. Certainly the writing to a formula without a vast amount of creativity is evident. Their penchant for not developing or not working a character in well so they get rid of them is a sad comment on their writing abilities and lack of direction and creativity.

S4 is definitely going to be make or break with them for the series. SGA was in trouble before the cast changes in late S3 and the cast changes alone are not what will make or break the show it is what TPTB decide to do with them and how well the changes are implemented. The only thing going for them is that they have two new showrunners, so there is a possibility that the mistakes of previous seasons will not be repeated. The downside to that is that M&M are a product of the culture that have shown little finesse in producing three seasons of Atlantis. Will they step up to the plate and deliver a decent showing? I'm doubtful but I'm willing to be surprised.

So long as no long range planning is done, not keeping characters in character, writing for all the characters instead of one or two at a time, stop sacrificing characters for plot, removing characters left right and centre; so long as they persist with doing this and not addressing the underlying problems with the show then the show will fail.

Well said, RoX! Vala was written in without regard to canon. Sexual innuendo "fun and games" was not a hallmark of SG_1 for 8 years. What changed? As was Mitchell. <---My real issue. And I was looking forward to BB coming! And the Anti-S9/S10 people didn't really get going until *after* the changes started to air. Twas a nasty shock.

The only way they are changing SGA is they will no longer be a civilian-headed operation. Which made no sense once they decided to have *all* those over"]*cough*[/COLOR]under*cough* whelming enemies on the show.

I've been a bit Anti-SGA in certain respects. The bulk of the main characters have never gelled with me. Odd, as I've tended to like SGA stories better than SG-1 stories. And the ones that have - well, most are gone. Thank goodness for the secondary characters. Lest you think this is a positive post in the Anti-S4 thread: I flat out don't like some of the characters that remain. Others I like though. And I hope less work on the writers/directors/showrunners parts (whatwith only half the eps to produce) will improve my rather blah responses to the characters. We'll see.

While SGA S4 showrunners were part of the SG-1 S9/S10 (imo) debacle, they weren't the ringleader. And have (hopefully) learned from... the stuff. that was the result. So I continue to (somewhat foolishly perhaps) hope.

suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
              Welcome back, paris!!
              thanks celcool ((hugs))

This is interesting, thanks for sharing. I really don't get that either, the situation is somewhat similar (in the way that they could understand us) but different because our favorite character is gone (while their wasn't) while she's coming over to the show (much, much worse).
              you know its one thing to have two of your more fav characters ditched with out good reason, its quite another, to have people throw party because of it... how can you not feel like people are pulling a nelson on you...

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
              Anyway, I am on the fence with the whole thing, yes Weir is a great character, so is Carter. We cannot have them both but at least we will have Weir for a bunch of eps. I try to stay optomistic that season 4 will be great, so we can get to a Season 5(which looks really good now)
              welcome briangate while i appreciate your candor you do realize this is the anti season 4 thread right? And really 4 episodes that surely will lead to the dismissal or demise of a lovely character, don't equal 'a bunch' plus how can i look forward to something especially when i know its going to lead to her being gone, it won't be character development it will be character dismissal ...really i think Atlantis has reached its peak its all down hill from here, and as much as i would wish it there is no way to backpedal from this

I feel people who don't watch the show anymore really are not giving it a fair chance , IMHO. You are entitled to your opinion, I totally respect it! Of course this thread topic is not like that at all from what I read. The fans here are just making complaints about S4, but are still going to watch it, so i give props to you. Who knows what could happen next season. But hey voice your opinions because TPTB DO listen to the fans when their voice is loud enough.
              Joe M has continually insulted the naysayers... he has no respect for the fans unless they worship him. I want something to change my mind i want to like the show again but at this point i can't see that happening and all the junk that has been going on is making me forget why i ever liked atlantis at all. I don't even watch my dvd's anymore. I want to be excited but its impossible. Especially when people and tptb keep stomping on everything i loved about it

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              I'm actually with paris on this one. How is this situation different from Carter-talk? I see people lobbing insults to each other in the Carter-discussion threads as well, and yet it's spared from a moritorium.

Are the insults not as bad or something?
              while i appreciate the support.. i really do, didn't you just disagree with me a few posts back?

S4 is definitely going to be make or break with them for the series.
              agree

SGA was in trouble before the cast changes in late S3
              completely disagree i think the first part of season 3 was some of the best stargate i've seen.

so there is a possibility that the mistakes of previous seasons will not be repeated. The downside to that is that M&M are a product of the culture that have shown little finesse in producing three seasons of Atlantis. Will they step up to the plate and deliver a decent showing? I'm doubtful but I'm willing to be surprised.
              i keep thinking it seemed fine before now is messed up, who's fault are these changes?

not keeping characters in character, writing for all the characters instead of one or two at a time, stop sacrificing characters for plot, removing characters left right and centre; so long as they persist with doing this and not addressing the underlying problems with the show then the show will fail.
              this i agree with... with one exception... it has already failed
              Last edited by parisindy; 16 July 2007, 09:36 PM.
              Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
              ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
              Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

However, let's lose the 'other fans' comments. Spending their time worrying about what 'other fans' were saying and doing is precisely what started the whole Weir mess.
                once again why is it only a 'weir mess' that is a problem? clearly the problem is much bigger
                Last edited by parisindy; 16 July 2007, 09:51 PM.
                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post

while i appreciate the support.. i really do, didn't you just disagree with me a few posts back?
                  I changed my mind.

Seriously though, I'm not sure what to think at the moment. All I want is an explanation from the mods on why Carter-talk is not being banned. As I said before, it's possible that the insults aren't as bad, which I can agree with to a degree, and if this was the reason, then I'll be fine with it. Basically, I disagreed with you that this is the mods somehow picking sides and going Pro-Carter. I still don't think that's true at all, but it'll be nice to hear why Weir-talk was chosen over Carter-talk.

More info is all I need.
                  Last edited by PG15; 16 July 2007, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I changed my mind.
                    well thats allowed

Seriously though, I'm not sure what to think at the moment. All I want is an explanation from the mods on why Carter-talk is not being banned. As I said before, it's possible that the insults aren't as bad, which I can agree with to a degree, and if this was the reason, then I'll be fine with it. Basically, I disagreed with you that this is the mods somehow picking sides. I still don't think that's true at all, but it'll be nice to hear why Weir-talk was chosen over Carter-talk.
                    More info is all I need.
                    honestly i would like to know as well and i have yet to get my answer.
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Hey people, if you have a problem with the mods then take it to the mods and PM them. It's time to take responsibility for your own actions - follow the rules or suffer the consequences - it ain't hard to understand.

Now back to the thread topic.
                      -

Comment

Hey people, if you have a problem with the mods then take it to the mods and PM them. It's time to take responsibility for your own actions - follow the rules or suffer the consequences - it ain't hard to understand.

Now back to the thread topic.
                        who died and left you mod?... a simple reminder to stay on topic would have done nicely

*sits firmly on the anti couch and turns on supernatural*
                        Spoiler:

Comment

well i got my answer... totally disagree but its enough for now
                          Spoiler:

Comment

well i got my answer... totally disagree but its enough for now
                            I'd like to know too. Could you tell us?

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
                              I'd like to know too. Could you tell us?
                              its over in the peace thread.
                              Spoiler:

Comment

its over in the peace thread.
                                Okay. "Peace" thread, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X