Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huh, so a lot of viewers came back just to watch the SG1 finale but a percentage didn't bother to continue watching Atlantis, even after the "OMG, Carter is going to ATLANTIS!" trailer at the end of SG1.

Likely foreshadowing for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
      Huh, so a lot of viewers came back just to watch the SG1 finale but a percentage didn't bother to continue watching Atlantis, even after the "OMG, Carter is going to ATLANTIS!" trailer at the end of SG1.

Yah, it's like the '200' ep. People tuned in and stayed for Atlantis (TRW) which got in the end 1.8.

I don't want s5. Because I'm sure Weir won't be there as regular. Maybe not even recurring. And who knows, if they do pick it up, I think they'll want AT to stay. Which =

Comment

Maybe some viewers felt betrayed with the "Please, buy our DVDs" SG-1 finale and the news about Carter on SGA next season. I can almost see the picture: "Hey, SG-1 is not really over! Bah! *next channel*"
        sigpic

Comment

I expected Atlantis to have a higher rating then usual because of the SG-1 finale lead in. Isn't a 1.5 still low?

They really pushed the "Carter coming to Atlantis" thing, didn't they?

Comment

But most people tend to like SG1 more than Atlantis. I know a lot of people who watch SG1 but not Atlantis. So the ratings do not surprise me very much.
            sigpic

Peter Petrelli: What do you do with something that killed you?
            Nathan Petrelli: You could put it underneath your pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
              I expected Atlantis to have a higher rating then usual because of the SG-1 finale lead in. Isn't a 1.5 still low?

They really pushed the "Carter coming to Atlantis" thing, didn't they?
              yes well everything is about her isnt it

every thread in season 4 seems to have masses of posts either for or against. TPTB cant stop gobbing of about how brilliant she is and how sga just wasn't right you know without her

sheesh, JM keeps prattlin on about her not being a major player then the promie thing comes out and its all about her. even on the sga one how many clips dedicated to her and the first half of that interview was all singing the praises of carter. God if i got paid a £1.00 everytime TPTB tried to convince the fans what a brilliant move all this upheavel is i could have brought a nice Aston Martin Vanquish...

realy if you were confident with the decision why would you feel the need to constantly justify yourself as TPTB are doing methinks they miscalculated the fan reaction ?
              sigpic
              banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
                realy if you were confident with the decision why would you feel the need to constantly justify yourself as TPTB are doing methinks they miscalculated the fan reaction ?
                Yeah, who cares about fans and their opinions anyway?
                sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah a .2 is such a major change. At least it did not drop to a 1.0 like PKJ.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    Oh yeah a .2 is such a major change. At least it did not drop to a 1.0 like PKJ.
                    Maybe it will when the all new Sci Fi series Painkiller Sam airs... And, btw, Jane is way hotter than Sam, IMHO.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                      Maybe it will when the all new Sci Fi series Painkiller Sam airs... And, btw, Jane is way hotter than Sam, IMHO.
                      LOL, that's funny. As per painkiller jane is concerned, I don't even think Painkiller Weir could save that show. It's a shame, I like Kristanna. she is hot.

Hey Mcbarr how you been?
                      Last edited by Briangate78; 27 June 2007, 08:49 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah a .2 is such a major change.
                        It's not major, I simply said a percentage tuned out. A percentage turned on the tube just to watch the SG1 finale and then specifically tuned out when Atlantis was on next. It backs my theory that fewer people will watch Atlantis next season simply because they're primarily SG1 fans and have little interest in Atlantis to seek it out without the SG1 anchor.

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                        Yeah, who cares about fans and their opinions anyway?
                        Certain PTBs care enough to mock them for their opinions, anyway.

Comment

It's not major, I simply said a percentage tuned out. A percentage turned on the tube just to watch the SG1 finale and then specifically tuned out when Atlantis was on next. It backs my theory that fewer people will watch Atlantis next season simply because they're primarily SG1 fans and have little interest in Atlantis to seek it out without the SG1 anchor.

See I understand where you are coming from, but I think the majority of the SG-1 fanbase watch SGA also. In fact SGA could gain more viewers who won't have SG-1 just to see how Carter plays out. Its' called SG withdrawel. So I think we can see a rise in ratings next season. Also, the big question is, what shows will run along with Atlantis? If something popular is put in the line-up, it will feed off those shows.
                          sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't say that I'm anti season 4 but I do have some misgivings based on some of the changes that I hear are coming. The reason why I have less confidence in these changes is because of what I've seen from mid season 3 and just hearing of them, the changes coming just don't feel right.

The first thing that bothered me is the complete lack of direction the show had during season three. It was almost like they just wanted to out and out abondon the concept of the Wraith and an enemy and try to create a new one. It seems like they made the Wraith too easy to beat and now they don't know what to do. It seems to happen in all sci-fi shows where an enemy will start out tough and bad ass can't kill them easily then after a few episodes killing them becomes old hat and the weapons that did not used to work on them just kills them at the drop of a hat now.

The second thing is that over the course of the last two seasons on SGA and SG1 it seems to have shown that the unascended Ancients where scientifically and book smart, but they had no street smarts of common sense what so ever. Big bad Ancients with all thier tech get whiped out by the Wraith, while little puny earthlings come along create retroviruses and such and blow up hive ships. What were the ancients doing with all that tech? It also proves they were very sloopy, trying to convience to whole univerise that they were so smart, so enlightned yet trying to hide and cover up all thier mistakes, leaving advanced tech all over the places for other people to find to blow themselves or anyone else up. Yet ascened they can't interfere, but haven't they interfered enough by thier own stupitidy? I guess they figure that if they screwed up that badly unascended how bad will the screw the pooch if they do interfere while ascended?

Then they want to make the replicators the new big bad enemy. This is kind of boring since we've already been through this and seen it. Which also goes back to how dumb and usless the ancients are. The ancients on the ship come back and take back control of Atlantis, kick out the puny humans. Then the replicators come back and take over the city. Hello did they forget about thier little anti replicator guns, even Jack could find it in the ancients knowledge base. Then the puny humans come back with little trouble and take over the city. The replicators were a nice concept when the were first introduced. Bad ass unrelenting only caring obtaining more resouces to replicate. Granted very similar to the early Borg. But over time they humanised them and make them weaker, just like killing the Borg became old hat in ST. Which by the way shows how sloppy the ancients are again, they could have told the Asguard that they if one day you find the little blocky things, don't mess with them, bad things that we made, and if you do here's a little gadget you can build to kill them. Just a little heads up from your allies in the alliance. But no, they couldn't even do that.

Next thing that bothers me is the uncerimonious killing or discarding of the characters on the show. First Ford, hello Ford where'd you run off to? Next Kolya the only recurring bad guy that one might actually care about? Kolya had a good background and animosity and a great rivaly with Shepard going. And they kill him in a throw away episode where they try to be humorous. Please no more Stargate humour, its always bad, its very embarsing and umfortable to watch. Next Beckett, dies in a throw away filler episode. For some reasons the enligtened ancients thought it would be a good idea to one day get together and make a machine that creates explosive tumors. Then what do they do, they just do him worse than Tasha Yarr. I mean come on even some of the Atlantis 'Red Shirt' marines got better treatment.

Now the stepping down the role of and the (speculative) ultimate axing of Elizabeth Weir. The thing I liked about her character is she is one of the few, if not only character in the StarGate universe that is decisively feminine and is not afraid of displaying or being swayed by her emotions and being emotionally repsonive. With no military training and being in command of Atlants she is always being questioned by the people on Earth and the SGC espically on the military side. She is like the Rodney Danger field of leaders, she just can't get no respect. However part of her stories have always been a new miliatry leader comes in very skeptical about her abilites and wanting to displace her. It keeps happening to her. She is confident and keeps a firm grip on her authroity, not afraid to get in a shouting match, yet over time all of the military people who were once skeptical begin to respect her, ala Colonel Caldwell (who was also uncerimonious done away with). Weir also strikes me as one that if things were streesful enough, or if there was enough sexual tension that she way act on her feelings instead of repressing them they way SG1 did. Although I never think the writters will explore this because I don't have confidence that they would know how to progress the story line. Like what were to happen if you were to feel that way, act on it but over time realized you stepped over a boundry and now you had to work with that person? I don't think the writters would know how to handle that without a reset button.

I also think that the characters on Atlants are all flawed in some way and that creates the connecton between the characters. Where as SG1, yeah they had thier past but you never really saw thier flaws show during crisis moments. The members of SG1 to me seem to have an air of 'Don't worry I know exactly what I'm doing', while the Atlantis team is more like I'll make it up as we go along. I like that about McKay and Shepard. You also see the flaws in Ronan as he doesn't let anyone close and is highly guarded.

These flaws with the tought of adding SG1 characters, espically Carter to the mix just don't really feel right. To me Carter is rational and analytical, and not really comfortable with her femine side. To me she seem to view her relationships with men more as a curiosity or a fasination, but she really didn't seem to have any passion in them. It was like yeah this is intresting but I like my job a whole lot better than you. She also is not a rule breaker and pretty much by the book type of person who to me lacks impulisveness. In a crisis I like Rodney much better because he's willing to come up with crazy off the wall things and give them a shot, where when Carter is prestented with suggestions from other she finds and looks for ways why they won't work not how she can help make them work, or tries to permote her answers as the right ones and everyone else's suggestion as crap. Now putting this type of person in a leadership position is not a very good idea. She's good and she's smart and she has her ideas, but as a leader who needs input from all areas to make her discision she's going to look for ways to poke holes in the ideas or pooh poo them when lives are on the line. She also comes off as one who likes to see all of the details and investiage things for her self. All good if you are researching new tech but not good if you are in command as you don't have time to get all of the details and you must rely on the input and judgement of others, which I think will be a challenge for her.

I'm also wary that she'll come in at the expense of Rodney. Saint Carter is brillant, attractive, confident, smart and has all the right answers. Rodney is unsure of himself, fears critism, highly jelous and tries to project him self as more confident as self assured which comes off as arrogant. Yet those who know him see through this and see the value that he really does present. He is much me creative and imaginative than Carter yet more willing to make mistakes and Carter is. I just hope they don't try to make a joke out of Rodney and that he may be enamoued at her coming in a first but he'll learn to stand his ground and stand up to her yeah buts.

My thoughts and misgivings, and if you read through this far...

Comment

Hey Mcbarr how you been?
                              Heh, everything is fine except for the usual sci-fi setbacks we geeks have to endure...

Certain PTBs care enough to mock them for their opinions, anyway.
                              That's true.

Originally posted by codefool View Post
                              My thoughts and misgivings, and if you read through this far...
                              ITA and I bow before your "antiness". Too bad the writers can't see what fans see so clearly...

Green for you!
                              sigpic

Comment

See I understand where you are coming from, but I think the majority of the SG-1 fanbase watch SGA also. In fact SGA could gain more viewers who won't have SG-1 just to see how Carter plays out. Its' called SG withdrawel. So I think we can see a rise in ratings next season. Also, the big question is, what shows will run along with Atlantis? If something popular is put in the line-up, it will feed off those shows.
                                Hi mcbarr, I'm not stalking you I promise. Just quoted you over on the SEW thread.

Codefool, you are a genius. Please post more. Want some scotch?
                                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Working...
                                X