Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi!

I've lurked here for a while. Mainly been vocal in the SEW thread.

The latest reference to TPTB "pulling a Ford" on Weir has pushed me over the edge. So, here I am. At your mercy.

For those of you who haven't seen the "pulling a Ford" reference before, here's a little message I sent scifiweekly earlier today....
    Spoiler:
    The SciFi genre has a new catch phrase. It’s called “pulling a Ford”. This phrase refers to a show’s creators deciding to write out a character from the show, leaving the door open to future reappearances by said actor, should the actor’s schedule and filming schedules coincide sometime in the future.

The namesake for this phrase is Lt. Aiden Ford of Stargate Atlantis, played by Rainbow Sun Francks. Lt. Ford was a regular presence in Season 1 of the show, but then only appeared in three episodes of Season 2. His fate during his last episode was left hanging and he’s never been heard of since.

The latest potential victim of the “pulling a Ford” phenomenon? Stargate Atlantis’ Dr. Elizabeth Weir, played by Torri Higginson. The powers that be for Season 4 (and beyond) for SGA have only contracted with Torri for 4 episodes in Season 4. In a recent interview with Gateworld, Executive Producer Joseph Mallozzi had this to say about the Weir character:

JM: Yeah, we kind of launch her in a new direction. I think a very interesting, very different direction from the Weir character that we know. Hopefully it's something we'll be able to pursue and develop over time. That will depend on Torri's availability and, as always, the stories we come up with. We're not going to lose a character entirely.

GW: So it's maybe a situation that's comparable, to Lieutenant Ford in Season Two, where he's out there and could come back?

JM: Yep.

This Weir fan, is not at all happy about the decision to reduce this character’s role on the show. Especially when the ghost of Ford is invoked. We all know how well the potential for recurring episodes worked out for him. Now it looks like Weir is headed the same way.

It’s unfortunate this show is going to lose a strong female lead character, played by a wonderful actress in an apparent attempt to shake things up for rating purposes. I do not see how removing Weir from the lineup will draw more viewers. In fact, for a large group of devoted fans, it’s going to do the opposite.

So – actors – beware – if you walk by the producer’s office and you hear a hushed conversation and the words “pulling a Ford” and then your name, dust off your resume – you’re going to need it.

SO, right now, I'm in the "I want to watch the Liz episodes in Season 4 and that's about it until I see for sure what the hell they do to her" category. Not sure I'm full-on ready for the couch. Is there an anti-ottoman?
    sigpic
    Signature by Erin87

Comment

It was called pulling a Jonas in the old days.
      Signed,

Gregorius
      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
        It was called pulling a Jonas in the old days.
        LOL, that's true! So now is actually the third time they're "pulling a Jonas", and the second time they're "pulling a Fraiser".

BTW, good to see you in the anti-s4 thread, SMB!
        sigpic

Comment

Not happy with seeing Carter in an SGA *red* uniform.

*Lays down on the anti-couch* I feel sick.

Comment

Bleh. I just watched "First Strike" (again...I will confess to watching it on YouTube due to being bored and not wanting to wait a flippin' two months for the U.S. premiere of the second half of the season) and I'm full of mixed feelings towards the fourth season. It's a mixed bag...I'm always anticipating the new season, but in this case...

Spoiler:

...I have ISSUES!!!
            I love Carter. And I love Liz. In fact, my "alias" is Elizabeth Carter (wonder where I got that from, LOL). But here's the deal...

I like Carter *on Earth* or otherwise in the Milky Way galaxy. I do NOT like this whole little "oh, let's put SG-1 on Atlantis and turn it into 'SG-1 in the Pegasus Galaxy'!" thing. "The Pegasus Project" was all right. I could handle that. But doing it with Carter *taking over* Atlantis is SO NOT COOL. Bleh.

And they took away Carson (and I'm rather suspicious of the whole "oh, he's coming back" thing). And we've got this whole "Oh, by the way, Teyla's pregnant with a Wraith baby!" thingy, and WHAM, there goes Sparky, and WHAM, oh look, Spanky's not far behind, and WHAM!!!! You have a BUNCH of VERY P.O.ed fanfiction writers!!!!!!

Gosh, I feel like Rodney right now...very irate and irritated.

I'll watch it because I want to see how "First Strike" ends. And I'll probably watch it after that because I'm a sucker for lost causes. But I'm hearing a bell ringing, and it isn't a happy optimistic one!!!
            Kate Carter - the lurker
            http://www.fanfiction.net/u/180471/
            Shweir, Spanky, S/J, D/V shipper, and proud of it, thank you very much!

Comment

Welcome to the club, PJ5! Take a seat on the anti-couch, and feel free to rant. I also watched First Strike several months ago, and I still can't believe what's going on with my favorite show.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
                I just did. A big BLAH. So yeah, they finally said what I was waiting to hear. They are writing Elizabeth out. That's all I wanted to know. I'm sorry but comparing what they might do to Elizabeth to what they did with Ford does not comfort me. If that is what they were going for. So not watching anything beyond Elizabeth's 2 episodes.
                Haven't read it, don't want to, have heard enough about it from y'all.

But ITA. Not watching any eps after Elizabeth's out.

What a moronic direction to take a (PREVIOUSLY) great show. So bye-bye, SGA! These last few eps been a total waste of time, or worse, great characters (sniff Carson sniff), except the Tao of Rodney. No chemistry anywhere. No friendship, no emotional depth, no nothing. And Sam, though I liked her in earlier seasons of SG-1, won't add a *&*^ thing.
                SGA: the 3-season show...

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post

SO, right now, I'm in the "I want to watch the Liz episodes in Season 4 and that's about it until I see for sure what the hell they do to her" category. Not sure I'm full-on ready for the couch. Is there an anti-ottoman?
                  I'm feeling the need for an anti-puke-bowl, myself. That's how disgusted I am with the direction this seems to be going.

But you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be watching the next show with BB, CB, or TH for sure. And be praying extra hard that certain PTB never get near 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                    ITA. SG-1 has been losing viewers for the franchise due to old age and (IMO) the whole Merlin plot (Ori and Orici not included, btw) which sounded like bs from day one, and now they decide to infest Atlantis with SG-1 elements? So, yeah, good!
                    I didn't mind the Merlin plot, and was enjoying the new dynamic, and Ba'al's not not hard to watch !

But LOL, "infest"!!! Couldn't have picked a better word. Gotta green ya for the bon mot.

Comment

Saw the preview for s4, and wow so underwhelmed. I just really don't care. I remember when I was squeeeing back in s2 and s3. Now I just go, eh, next scene please.
                      sigpic
                      My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

I agree with any of you who think Amanda Tapping should not be coming to the show. All Hail Dr. Weir!
                        Everyone knows that Atlantis shouldn't be controlled by the military and I think even Col. Sheppard thinks that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
                          Saw the preview for s4, and wow so underwhelmed. I just really don't care. I remember when I was squeeeing back in s2 and s3. Now I just go, eh, next scene please.
                          I'm with ya! But I'm not just looking for the next scene, but the next (non SGA) show.

Comment

Originally posted by eyecandylovr View Post
                            I'm feeling the need for an anti-puke-bowl, myself.
                            as long as you don't puke in my anti-popcorn bowl ...it's anti calorie pop corn
                            Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                            ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                            Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Let's all migrate to Lost and Heroes!

Comment

*pukes into anti-toilet* *goes to sit on anti-couch* Watching that trailer is agonizing. *likes just one second of it*

Comment

Working...
                                X