Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diesel Vanilla View Post
    hehehehe, well, I don't know the true definition as to what W'Cat was referring, but in my head I can see Sheppy wearing a luminous sick yellow 'shell suit' of the late 80s/early 90s fashion rage.

*shudders*

ACKKKKK! hehehehehee
    Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
    ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
    Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

*pokes head around doorway of thread*

Y'know, another thing I don't really get about 'lantis being trekified is the PTBs' insistance that S4 will be "darker" than previous years.

They seem to be giving the humans Trekish über-tech (which apparently only works properly in close proximinty to polyester-clad scientists), and S2-3 already built up the "no consequences for the main characters" that Next Gen. was often guilty of. They decided to throw away the two characters (Weir and Beckett) who drove their previous, dark un-trekish torture/genetic manipulation storylines. And they made sure to cap all of their more serious S3 episodes with a reset button, everyone's-really-all-right closing scene.

But now they insist they're going dark?

Maybe they're thinking it'll turn out like DS9's Dominion War...but DS9 did spend a couple seasons building up storylines that filled out who the civilizations on both sides of the wormhole were, and established its main characters as more flawed people than we had seen on previous Star Treks.

So...I don't really get it. It seems like they've tubed characters and plotlines on Atlantis to make it a light comedy/farce show, without any continuing (or really any serious) plotlines. And—that's how they set up for a dark war season? I am just confused.

But, ranting aside, I did enjoy rewatching Tao of Rodney. (I steadfastly deny ever squeeing, but the and scenes made me come close.)

Comment

TofR was a cool eppy not my all time fav but cool all the same

and yeah you are so not the only one confused!
        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
          Where did I say she or Carson had to be perfect?

I unlike some find it hard to believe these characters are somehow integral to SGA because they *alone* have emotional connections and are (what?) thinking and feeling humans.... so the other characters are replicators or something? See the flaw in the argument for Saving Weir and Carson imho is that these two characters are not all they are cracked up to be.
          I can't disagree with you when you say the writing for all the characters is uneven (big understatement), but I still believe that at least Weir and Beckett were shown to be of two minds (maybe even three) about certain decisions they made. I would think that torturing Kavanaugh or creating Michael would at least deserve a night or two of tossing and turning, and a serious dose of second-guessing. I don't see that as bad leadership. I see it as being faced with making decisions that in a perfect world, never would have even been considered . . and being appropriately horrified at the turn of events. I think I would have been horrified if there hadn't been regret and recriminations . . . plus there would have been no story. LOL.

What's really interesting is that fans who do not like Weir fall into two very different groups with very opposite opinions: one group feels she is constantly and unnecessarily butting heads with the military, as if as head of the expedition, she didn't have the right to do so. The other group feels as you do (and I apologize if this is not accurate), that she is always giving in to Sheppard and/or McKay.

I don't agree with either viewpoint, but what is obvious is that watching a tv show is very subjective experience. IMHO, Shep and McKay are one dimensional stereotypes: the cocky anti-hero with a girl in every port vs. the nerdy, uber genius with the social skills of a two-year old. Teyla and Ronon are undersued pretty wallpaper. I still believe Weir and Beckett were the most complex of all the characters on SGA (again, that's not saying much), and I feel their loss will hurt the show in the end. JMHO.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
            I can't disagree with you when you say the writing for all the characters is uneven (big understatement), but I still
            What's really interesting is that fans who do not like Weir fall into two very different groups with very opposite opinions: one group feels she is constantly and unnecessarily butting heads with the military, as if as head of the expedition, she didn't have the right to do so. The other group feels as you do (and I apologize if this is not accurate), that she is always giving in to Sheppard and/or McKay.

I don't agree with either viewpoint, but what is obvious is that watching a tv show is very subjective experience. IMHO, Shep and McKay are one dimensional stereotypes: the cocky anti-hero with a girl in every port vs. the nerdy, uber genius with the social skills of a two-year old. Teyla and Ronon are undersued pretty wallpaper. I still believe Weir and Beckett were the most complex of all the characters on SGA (again, that's not saying much), and I feel their loss will hurt the show in the end. JMHO.
            I dont dislike weir, but i do find the way the writters present her irritating but not for the reasons above. its more her inconsistency in dealing with the situations they come across. every now and then they would hit the mark spot on! then she would disapear again. all that potential in character and actress wasted it boggles the mind it realy does

i havent found mckay/shep one dimensional. i actualy thought the writters had put real effort into showing the different layers to them. i also think the actors have added little nuisances that have inhanced there characters a lot.

maybe we see in the characters what we want to see?

sga had all the potential in the world. it was different, unique even. now all that is being sucked out, changing direction. out with the old in with the new seems to be the motto at the mo and the division it is causing in fandom can only be bad for the show. i realy, realy dont understand the reasoning with any of the changes to be honest. it all just sucks
            sigpic
            banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
              I dont dislike weir, but i do find the way the writters present her irritating but not for the reasons above. its more her inconsistency in dealing with the situations they come across. every now and then they would hit the mark spot on! then she would disapear again. all that potential in character and actress wasted it boggles the mind it realy does
              I like Dr. Weir. I've always seen her as someone doing everything she could in an almost impossible situation, thus the inconsistencies. Who is consistent all the time anyway? Well, at least she is not wallpaper, but that is certainly due to the actress, not the writers. Replacing the actress and keeping the problem won't change anything, though.

sga had all the potential in the world. it was different, unique even. now all that is being sucked out, changing direction. out with the old in with the new seems to be the motto at the mo
              You've got to be kidding, right?

and the division it is causing in fandom can only be bad for the show. i realy, realy dont understand the reasoning with any of the changes to be honest. it all just sucks
              I agree.
              sigpic

Comment

Oh great! Great, great, great!

Have you guys read the spoilers "The Seer"?!

Spoiler:
                Not only is Sam butting in and appearing in 14 episodes, possibly the cause of the reduction of Elizabeth's role, but in "The Seer", it is revealed through a vision that the future of the galaxy rests on the shoulders of the Atlantis expedition and that "[Sam] is the one who must decide on what actions to take at the 'crossroad'"!

What is this crap?! They couldn't have let that important person be Teyla, who's been promised more and better screen time or anybody else who's an original cast member?!

Of course, it is also said that people sometimes misinterpret The Seer's visions. But the chancse of that in this case are quite slim.

The Carter-love-Mary-Sue-crap just keeps getting worse and worse!

Comment

Didn't I read on JM's blog that there was going to be crossover episodes?

Isn't all of S4 just one big crossover season?

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                    Didn't I read on JM's blog that there was going to be crossover episodes?

Isn't all of S4 just one big crossover season?
                    Yes! just wait they will anounce daniels crossover and arc next. closely followed by tealc's i wonder which cast members will fall to the wayside to accomidate

mcbarr
                    You've got to be kidding, right?
                    ok yes thats why you should read through before posting that was meant to have been deleted duh!

what i was trying to say was they seem to be letting characters of the original cast go to accomidate other people coming in. wether it be from sg1 or complete newbies. wether these decisions are mutualy exclusive or not is irrelevant what matters is the end result sga cast gone new people in

regarding weir if tori had been allowed the growth and input she has mentioned in her recent interview i think it would have improved the show no end.
                    sigpic
                    banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

regarding weir if tori had been allowed the growth and input she has mentioned in her recent interview i think it would have improved the show no end.
                      amen!
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post

Spoiler:
                        Not only is Sam butting in and appearing in 14 episodes, possibly the cause of the reduction of Elizabeth's role, but in "The Seer", it is revealed through a vision that the future of the galaxy rests on the shoulders of the Atlantis expedition and that "[Sam] is the one who must decide on what actions to take at the 'crossroad'"!

What is this crap?! They couldn't have let that important person be Teyla, who's been promised more and better screen time or anybody else who's an original cast member?!

Of course, it is also said that people sometimes misinterpret The Seer's visions. But the chancse of that in this case are quite slim.

Yay! The Samantha Carter show. How dare you object to that! I guess the shrill and ill-informed lemmings are the actual seers because we saw this cr@p coming from day one despite all the denials and so forth.
                        sigpic

Comment

i havent found mckay/shep one dimensional. i actualy thought the writters had put real effort into showing the different layers to them. i also think the actors have added little nuisances that have inhanced there characters a lot.

maybe we see in the characters what we want to see?

sga had all the potential in the world. it was different, unique even. now all that is being sucked out, changing direction. out with the old in with the new seems to be the motto at the mo and the division it is causing in fandom can only be bad for the show. i realy, realy dont understand the reasoning with any of the changes to be honest. it all just sucks
                          Bolding is mine. ICAM with this sentiment. I think each viewer picks up on something in a character that appeals to them and whatever that hook is will be different for each person. For instance, I don't dislike any character but if forced to choose a least favorite, I would have to go with McKay. I fully understand his importance to the show and most times I do like him . . . but there are moments when he makes me cringe in embarrassment for whoever he is humiliating at the moment. Other viewers think he is the "cat's meow" and can do no wrong. (shrugs)

I like Weir and I know all too well that others don't. But sometimes when I hear detractors talk about why they don't like her and they point out particular scenes or recurring themes, I find I invariably have a totally different interpretation. I'm convinced we're not watching the same show. LOL. I would think the same thing is true for all fans.
                          Last edited by nowvoyager908; 15 May 2007, 05:10 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                            Bolding is mine. ICAM with this sentiment. I think each viewer picks up on something in a character that appeals to them and whatever that hook is will be different for each person. For instance, I don't dislike any character but if forced to choose a least favorite, I would have to go with McKay. I fully understand his importance to the show and most times I do like him . . . but there are moments when he makes me cringe in embarrassment for whoever he is humiliating at the moment. Other viewers think he is the "cat's meow" and can do no wrong. (shrugs)

I like Weir and I know all too well that others don't. But sometimes when I hear detractors talk about why they don't like her and they point out particular scenes or recurring themes, I find I invariably have a totally different interpretation. I'm convinced we're not watching the same show. LOL.
                            I can completely agree with this. I've had issues with Carter for quite a while now, although I really enjoyed her in the early seasons. But it's gotten to the point that I'm gritting my teeth almost every time she's on screen. But she has tons of fans on this board. Obviously they're seeing something I'm not! That's ok though. I think the only problem comes in when people start making judgements about other people based on who they like or don't like. Each of us come from different places, and that will color how we perceive the characters.
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post

Spoiler:

Wow. I guess all those fans who were confident Carter wouldn't be taking over the show might want to rethink that whole train of thought right about now. LOL.
                              sigpic

Comment

In all honesty, all SGA fans will get screwed in the end. What a scam! Our fav show was just SG-1's back up.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X