Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*sigh* Well, I just read the article thingamajig. Gad, what a mess. I know I'm just annoying myself by still paying any attention, but the dog's been keeping me up lately. That's my excuse for wasting time on the internet anyway.

Does Sci-Fi magazine usually print fluff pieces like this? I've never read it before. It sounds a little bit like the old Nintendo Power "reviews"...

I really did like Tapping's performances on SG-1; even when the material was sparse, or a little hackneyed, I don't remember her ever phoning it in, which is more than I would say for one of her co-stars there. But I can't hold out much hope for her character, if this is all the storyline they can come up with.

I'm speculating here, but based on what they've said so far, Carter could be put in charge of Atlantis because the military wants a military leader for the possible
    Spoiler:
    war with the Asurans.
    But why would any of the military higher-ups trust Carter with a position like that? SG-1 has always been effective, but not too good at following orders they disagree with.

While Hammond became more of a friend to the team, and often the voice of right-over-procedure as the show went on, it seemed like the writers often used the military bureaucracy as a villian/foil. Heck, the first episode with McKay reiterated that whole theme. Are these the people who are suddenly trusting not only Carter's judgment, but her ability to do a job she has no experience for? Guh...wha...why?

And even ignoring all that (which I presume they will...), where's the background that supports the premise Carter would have any problem dealing with the idea of being a leader (which the article seems to say was their selling point for bringing her over)? If anything, it seemed like on SG-1 Carter was infallibly likeable; Jack was the one who could be undiplomatic with strangers. I can see how Carter might be unprepared for the logistics of running a city full of people more intelligent than they are personable, but that doesn't seem to be what they're talking about.

I thought when they started Atlantis, that McKay was a bit like Carter could have been if they'd let that character be a bit more human—she could easily have been isolated by her work before joining SG-1, and as a result been somewhat arrogant and dismissive without realizing it. But since they've just used Atlantis to make McKay more and more likeable, I'd be dang surprised if all of a sudden they were willing to use this change to honestly look at the type of flaws Carter could have.

Ugh, I don't know. What really bugs me though, is the only way I can think to explain some of their statements and writing decisions about Carter and Weir is that they don't see a lot of potential in female characters. It's as if they assume, "Carter can't be a leader in the same way Jack or Mitchell can, so let's make her a behind-the-scenes, non-action leader." "Weir ultimately can't juggle the military and civilian sides of Atlantis, so let's push her even further out of power."

It even seems to me like the same thing they've done with Teyla. She started out as the Teal'c-like character—the wise alien, with different principles she was willing to defend, sometimes violently (remember how she decked Bates for suggesting she was a collaborator?). But they've made her more and more of a woman-there-to-pacify-the-men, giving Ronon all the justified but often undiluted anger at the wraith.

I don't mean to accuse them of deliberate sexism, because I sincerely doubt any of this is a conscious decision on the writers' part. But it does seem to be a pattern, and not one I'd like to continue witnessing.

Comment

I don't normally participate in Anti-threads but with the recent statement from Cooper (however honest is still crap to me) I figured this was a good place outside my normal threads to post my opinion to TPTB.

To quote a favorite movie: "Badly done."

After TH's last epi, I'm out if TPTB don't change their minds.

This is rather depressing to me because unlike past years in my life, I have no other show to go watch. Atlantis was it. The last in a long line. In my opinion, there was nothing else on TV (Cable or mainstream) that was worth watching. It's all "Reality" TV and other garbage that I have no interest in. Atlantis was different. Atlantis was good. Atlantis was around when all else on TV had failed to interest me.

Maybe it's a "vision" but it seems more like ego has killed my last favorite show.

For those of you who know me, you'll note the serious change in my sig. It pretty much sums it up.

AL

Comment

Originally posted by A.L. View Post
        I don't normally participate in Anti-threads
        i have never belonged to an anti-thread before... but my love of this show has driven me to it.

i still have supernatural which i enjoy but i agree
        i'll miss atlantis and there is a hole that i'm not sure can or will be filled anytime soon

and well said jerkface i agree with your points.

i love ben but why not bring him into to sg1 as second to carter.

why bring her over to atlantis where she doesn't belong...it not carters fault but it still feels like an invasion

square peg round hole...and we already had a pretty cool round peg
        Last edited by parisindy; 07 April 2007, 10:49 PM.
        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
        ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
        Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by A.L. View Post
          I don't normally participate in Anti-threads but with the recent statement from Cooper (however honest is still crap to me) I figured this was a good place outside my normal threads to post my opinion to TPTB.

To quote a favorite movie: "Badly done."

After TH's last epi, I'm out if TPTB don't change their minds.

This is rather depressing to me because unlike past years in my life, I have no other show to go watch. Atlantis was it. The last in a long line. In my opinion, there was nothing else on TV (Cable or mainstream) that was worth watching. It's all "Reality" TV and other garbage that I have no interest in. Atlantis was different. Atlantis was good. Atlantis was around when all else on TV had failed to interest me.

Maybe it's a "vision" but it seems more like ego has killed my last favorite show.

For those of you who know me, you'll note the serious change in my sig. It pretty much sums it up.

AL
          ICAM. There isn't much I make a point to watch on tv. I avoid reality shows like the plague. I'm the only person I know who hasn't seen even one second of AI or DWTS. My list of viewing pleasures is small: CSI, Lost and a few other things which I watch now and then . . . like Nip/Tuck or Monk. SGA used to be on that list . . . but sadly no more. LOL.

The part of me that loves eye candy will certainly miss seeing JF and JM every week, but that just isn't enough to make up for what's been lost.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
            That would be an act of sepuku... considering what a popular character he is. I doubt that even bringing Daniel over would save the show

It's only because of Joe and David that I'm even going to bother with S4. Other than that, they should forget about calling it Stargate Atlantis.
            Same here. Sheppard and McKay are the main reasons I'm not giving up on Atlantis yet, although I love Teyla and Ronan too. But....I've been gritting my teeth and watching around Carter for 3-4 seasons on SG-1 because I loved the other characters. I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact that now I have to do that on Atlantis. If not for Shep & McKay I wouldn't even try.
            - Life after Stargate -
            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
            sigpic

Comment

Mmm...I seem to run into an issue if they're going for the McKay & Sheppard-show. Neither are anywhere in my favorites list. I love the characters, don't get me wrong, but they are not my favorites.

If I'd have to watch for these two alone, I'd probably tune out and focus my energy on something else ... f.e. Bones, NCIS, CSI:Miami,...
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Mmm...I seem to run into an issue if they're going for the McKay & Sheppard-show. Neither are anywhere in my favorites list. I love the characters, don't get me wrong, but they are not my favorites.
                The apparent shift to focusing on those two is high on my list of reasons for tuning out. I love them both, but in measure, and I hate the way they've become the be all and end all of most episodes. The writers are too busy hanging on the coolness of John and Rodney to write consistently good episodes that feature all the characters. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, I swear they're trying to rewrite the high school geek experience, where the geeks just weren't cool enough to hang with the pretty and popular crowd. And far too often that's what the whole "John and Rodney" show comes across as.

Of course, that fits right in with Mallozzi's comments about "writing the show we [TPTB] want to see" and the adolescent and juvenile humor that brought us episodes like Irresponsible and found time for John and Rodney snark in Tao of Rodney but couldn't give us the scene where Carson and Rodney say goodbye--but, oh, wait! Carson is Rodney's best friend!

ARGH!!!

Yeah, right, let's be excited about Season 4, as if adding in the gorgeous, "honorary guy" Geek!Girl is going to improve things. Yes, I think they're scrambling to save the show and the franchise, but they're scrambling in the wrong direction!

sigpic

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
                ~~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Posted my snarky Q to Joe's blog. We'll see if he deigns to give me a snarky answer back.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                    I am so upset over that new article in SCIFI magazine that says Carter is coming over and Weir is definitely out.

Spoiler:
                    "i can't make people feel better who just love torri and dr. weir and want to see her on the show," sighs cooper. "unfortunately, that's just not going to happen. all i can say is that sam carter is a wonderful character, and amanda tapping is a wonderful actress, and i think she will fill the role on atlantis admirably. i'm excited about seeing the evolution of her character. brad and i created the character dr. weir and we love the character and torri, but the change needed to be made."
                    !!!!!!!!!! I hadn't read that!!! That's a complete shocker!!!!!!!!! Is that readable online or is that only in the mag?

EDIT: OOOPS, sorry, didn't realise I wasn't on the last page (d'uh!) and have now found a link... off to read....
                    Last edited by Diesel Vanilla; 08 April 2007, 08:59 AM. Reason: Didn't read the thread thoroughly enough!

Comment

Read the article. I actually want to cry... which really doesn't happen very often with me and tv. I've been on such a high cos of all the great Save Carson exploits... now I've slipped right down to the bottom rung again. I STOPPED watching SG1 mid season 9 and STARTED watching Atlantis cos I felt SG1 and the characters especially had HAD their time!

I LOVE AT and Carter, I REALLY do and sincerely wish all the best to her in joining Atlantis... but for me Carter was SG1 - it's OVER for me... I said my goodbyes and just, ARGGHHHHH!!! NOOOOOOO!!! BLO*DY NOOOOOO!!! I'd be JUST as mad if it was Daniel or Teal'c or O'Neill taking over the helm because they were intentionally not put at the helm in the FIRST PLACE.

I've never been so thoroughly disappointed by decisions taken about a show I love so much. And I'm equally disappointed that my love for all things Stargate has been tarnished. It sounds ridiculous but I actually find it hard to watch dvds of either Atlantis or SG1 right now because all I have in my head is "Weir! Carter! Beckett! Shaking things up! Too many changes! Breaking up the team! What a COMPLETE freaking WASTE!"

Bottom line for me is that some... actually ALL of these decisions have really hurt and upset SO many fans... no to mention the wonderful actors... and I find their lack of respect to the fans of Weir and Beckett particularly hard to deal with considering the loyalty I and so many others have had to Stargate as a whole for a bloody long time.

I guess they have put a huge amount of faith in the Stargate fanbase trusting their decisions... and I've no doubt that many fans will continue to love the show... but they've left me totally gobsmacked by it all. All the hard work they put in to develop these great characters and to get us to love them... then they just turn around and wipe them out!!!

What the H*LL?!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Vanilla View Post
                        Bottom line for me is that some... actually ALL of these decisions have really hurt and upset SO many fans... no to mention the wonderful actors... and I find their lack of respect to the fans of Weir and Beckett particularly hard to deal with considering the loyalty I and so many others have had to Stargate as a whole for a bloody long time.

I guess they have put a huge amount of faith in the Stargate fanbase trusting their decisions... and I've no doubt that many fans will continue to love the show... but they've left me totally gobsmacked by it all. All the hard work they put in to develop these great characters and to get us to love them... then they just turn around and wipe them out!!!

What the H*LL?!!!!
                        dude i so get that... thats how i felt after First Strike...aww poor thing... sucks don't it?
                        you're not alone.

I adore the chracters of Shep and Rodney..thing is i also love ronan, and Weir and beckett and teyla and lorne and chuck and zelenka etc... for me it was all about the team. TPTB destroyed our team... they talk of leaving no one behind... but they sure haven't lived up to that have they?

Shadowmaat i am sorry i missed it..what was your snarky question?
                        I have been to afraid to venture over to the blogger of doom... i have a feeling i would just leave more angry then i already am. hehe too many people bowing at the temple of the Joe M for my liking.
                        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                        ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                        Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                          Shadowmaat i am sorry i missed it..what was your snarky question?
                          The relevant part was this:

Hi Joe!

I was hoping you could offer some advice on the latest Atlantis mystery: you've already replaced Ford with Ronon, Carson with Keller, and Weir with Carter, so who are you going to kill off (or as you like to say, "reduce to recurring") for season 5? I figure since most of the stories revolve around Sheppard and/or McKay (or is it AU Rod now?) they're probably safe, but Ronon and Teyla are the "sexy alien warriors" who are vital to most of the B and C plots, so the question is would you kill/reduce one of them anyway or is it the fans of Caldwell, Zelenka and Lorne who should be worrying? Certainly if any of them get bumped up from recurring to regular it'd be cause to worry.
                          Of course, if Caldwell, Zelenka or Lorne actually ends up dying, it'll be all my fault. LOL! But I figure it's only a matter of time, anyway. Assuming the show survives past Season 4 the whole killing trend will probably continue. Gotta drive those ratings up, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                            Gotta drive those ratings up, right?
                            I'm afraid they'll have quite a bit of driving to do. I bet they have to kill the whole cast to get better ratings.

BIG NEWS ON THE SGA-FRONT

Due to falling ratings, TPTB are taking desperate measures to save their precious show. For the first time in sci-fi history an entire cast will be killed off and replaced with a whole new one. Casting has already begun and there are some promising names coming up to play the most important people on the (new) show.

We will keep you up-to-date on this matter. Check back regurlarly for more news.

Inspired by the Belgian version of Big Brother of which the ratings weren't good enough, so they decided to kick half of the people in the house out of it and replace them with others. I wish they would just stop making the show altogether as it is taking time away for better things.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              If that's all the show's about... well, they'll soon run out of stories... and yeah, I'd lose interest too. But McKay and Sheppard is preferable to McKay and Carter, in my book.
                              My point is... I'm looking for some reason to continue with the show... and those two are it...
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Hmm... Looks like Joe's Blog has been updated. My question got skipped. LOL! Is this where I say it was an honor just to be nominated? I'm not feeling very honored, but I am curious as to which comments get posted and which don't... and of those which get addressed in the next entry and which don't. Maybe he couldn't think up a witty enough response.

Comment

Working...
                                X