Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wandered in to say hi and reserve myself a spot. I'm currently in wait and see mode but the more info we get the less hopeful about S4 I get.

LOL yeah Joss Whedon or JMS would be good (but JMS has too many irons in the fire at the moment I think) or maybe they could steal Manny Coto from 24 as I liked some of his earlier works.

There is a lot of talent both in front of and behind the cameras but as has been mentioned I think they are lacking in the leadership area. So now it is M&M's turn to lead - OK they get a chance to show us what they've got but if it's more of the same then I think the franchise is doomed.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post

And the only reason we can see for sidelining Elizabeth would be for giving Sam a lot more space, a solution which is, well, rather stupid.
      Agreed. I actually don't like Sam that much and i am less then happy about seeing her in 14 eps of SGA. Another reason is that i suspect M&M will use her to make "funny" eps / lines with McKay (which might work ONCE in season, not whole season). Given the delights M&M gave us on SGA and how they see humor on SGA (i won't even mention "those" eps by name) i have little hope for S4.

McKay is scientist on SGA and one of two characters that TPTB managed to give some life and now they'll prolly use Sam to poke fun of him, remove Weir and we lost Carson ... add Caldwell and beloved Deadalus that are also sidelined and that is _NOT_ Stargate: Atlantis, they could easily do this as new spin-off - i read what JF said in interview and i am scared about this rset button and all he mentioned.

URGHHH... this day can't get any worse.
      VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Originally posted by silence View Post
        - i read what JF said in interview and i am scared about this rset button and all he mentioned.
        They hit the reset button with each new episode. It is a bit disconcerting for an actual admission of that from the lead of the show. It also sounds like the same stuff they spew all the time at the season and mid-season breaks. They always talk about "shaking" things up, and to me, it always comes off sounding negative.

Yes, Weir doesn't always have good screen time and Teyla gets plenty of screen time with very little to do. I feel they should fix this by actually being creative and finding ways to better incorporate these characters, not give them the boot, or demote their status. Demoting them is an easy out for the writers in my opinion.

Fan fiction is what it is, but I have read plenty of good fan fiction that manages to incorporate all the characters. I've read plenty o fan fiction that keeps completely in line with the characters and would be wonderful episodes. If amateurs can do it, and the same authors can do it on a consistent basis, why can't the pros?

Comment

You know, if I had done anything as drastic as TPTB have done this year, my parents would have accused me of smoking crack. And to which my father would have said that he could cure this by putting his foot in my ass.

To the PTB, are you guys on drugs? Would it help straighten you out if we the fans collectively put our foots in your behinds'?

Seriously, what the heck is going on over there? In two short years we've gone from a stable franchise that can handle changes in stride to taking a face plant into utter chaos!!!! Are they trying to kill SGA?
          Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
          Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
            It's not the quantity of screen-time that matters, it's the quality of screen time. Teyla gets a lot of screen-time but it's mostly spent running, standing around and saying random lines that don't really contribute much.
            I think we'd all agree that not only is this science fiction, but it's an action adventure genre. Teyla can fight and defend herself. Weir at best is only a damsel in distress. Only fight scene we saw with Wier was in "The Long Goodbye" where it wasn't even her but an alien entity controlling her.

Long story short, Weir's scenes can be boring and ultimately will be cut short because she is not an action character unless she's in an argument with someone if that counts. I"m not trying to dumb down Weir's importance,it's just the way I see it.

Comment

Weir's role could have been more important if TPTB had tied her more to Atlantis. She could have had more B plots where she was kept informed and made decisions about the exploration and findings of the city. So an episode could still be A plot: "all about the team offworld" but incorporate B plot: "Zelenka and crew discover X about Atlantis and Weir has to deal with the problem or make a decision about the finding." Or TPTB could have written in an arc where there was tension between the scientists and military and how Weir dealt with that. Or Weir dealing with the IOA or meeting and negotiating with possible new PG allies. So many ways they could have brought in both Weir and Atlantis without stepping on the toes of "Shep's mighty offworld team."

But alas, TPTB don't seem all that interested in exploring or talking about Atlantis. You know, that big thing that the show is named after and what differentiates it from SG1. It's kinda like what TPTB did to SG1 - in season 9 and 10 it became less about the Stargate, the major technological discovery and title of the show, and more about big honkin' spaceships and teleporters.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                Weir's role could have been more important if TPTB had tied her more to Atlantis. She could have had more B plots where she was kept informed and made decisions about the exploration and findings of the city. So an episode could still be A plot: "all about the team offworld" but incorporate B plot: "Zelenka and crew discover X about Atlantis and Weir has to deal with the problem or make a decision about the finding." Or TPTB could have written in an arc where there was tension between the scientists and military and how Weir dealt with that. Or Weir dealing with the IOA or meeting and negotiating with possible new PG allies. So many ways they could have brought in both Weir and Atlantis without stepping on the toes of "Shep's mighty offworld team."
                There are so many opportunities to be inclusive of the entire cast. You've pointed out a good number of possibilities, and they are suggestions I would love to see implemented. TPTB have lost the creative ability to make it happen, or simply don't care, it's hard to tell what it is these days.

If they were able to incorporate the entire cast they have now, I would be ecstatic about the upcoming season. If they had come out with the news that all the cast is going to get real development, that all the cast is going to be utilized I would be excited. However, instead, what we get is more cast getting the boot or getting demoted, talks about reset buttons, and shake-ups. How am I as a fan, suppose to be excited by an upcoming season when the main cast are dropping like flies? How am I as a fan, suppose to feel about the remaining cast, knowing that at anytime another is more than likely on the chopping block?

Comment

I have to say, I'm anti the changes. I love Beckett. I'm not a huge Weir fan by any means, but she's the head of Atlantis and I like the dynamics of that, with Shep as head of Military and so on, the way they are. Season 3 brought them all together as a family.

As for Sam on Atlantis? I HATE SAM CARTER! I stopped watching SG1 in season one because I can't stand her. So having her on SGA for all those eps just kills it for me. Because of TPTB love for Sam and Rodney, I forsee the Sam/Rodney hour and I'll end up hating the show I want to love. I watch for Sheppard, and only Sheppard, but I loved the team feel of this season and Carter in SGA and the other's dropped back/gone just kills that.

I wanted to love season 4, but I doubt even Shep being there can save it.

I hated when Sam's been on SGA in the past. Hated GUP hated that other moment. Hated.

SGA is SGA. SG1 characters don't belong there. Thanks PTB for ruining the show I loved and lying to us fans. SGA has never been allowed to stand on it's own. YOU ALL SUCK!

Comment

I havn't had time to read all your posts, but i sure will later! And its just suddenly clicked why Weir will become a recurring character... because Carter is coming over. Don't get me wrong, i do like her, its just... leave Atlantis alone!!

And as for Carson... well what do i say? TPTB are making some really bad decisions and are going to loose a lot of viewers i think, including me.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                      But alas, TPTB don't seem all that interested in exploring or talking about Atlantis. You know, that big thing that the show is named after and what differentiates it from SG1. It's kinda like what TPTB did to SG1 - in season 9 and 10 it became less about the Stargate, the major technological discovery and title of the show, and more about big honkin' spaceships and teleporters.
                      That is the #1 most irritating issue I have with SGA. The show is Stargate - ATLANTIS, yet we never see or learn about ATLANTIS. TPTB had the opportunity to have a strong, female lead character heading the exploration of an Ancient city and what do we really get? Stargate - SHEP'S TEAM, who aren't even in Atlantis 95% of the time. We have our hero who is beautiful to look at, but doesn't have much in personality and apparently no family or backstory, we have a scientist who can't shut his mouth and insults every living thing, we have a hot alien babe who dresses in clothes two sizes too small for her and doesn't have much to say, and a warrior who grunts and shoots everyone in sight.

So much for the original story ideas.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Yeah, they keep replacing/reducing participation of important characters, yet the bs remains the same: their lack of imagination to come up with good storylines. Oh, this SUCKS!
                        sigpic

Comment

Changing characters is all good in my book, none of the 4 real main characters are changing. However...... bringing Carter into the show just because AT has a contract is a bad decision. She simply does not fit anywhere in the show with the exception of the odd guest appearance. I think this is the one change that has the potential to really bury Season 4, I hope it wont, but it doesn't look good. 14 episodes = too much screen time.

Comment

As a very, VERY new Atlantis viewer, I have to say that I won't be watching season four. I had really started to warm up to Weir and I love Becket, I don't like Carter never have. I tolerated her on SG1 because, well I was looking at Daniel.

I know I won't like it so I am not even prepared to waste my time giving it a try. Carter to me is reason enough not to watch let alone the removal of two characters I do like.
                            sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                              That is the #1 most irritating issue I have with SGA. The show is Stargate - ATLANTIS, yet we never see or learn about ATLANTIS. TPTB had the opportunity to have a strong, female lead character heading the exploration of an Ancient city and what do we really get? Stargate - SHEP'S TEAM, who aren't even in Atlantis 95% of the time. We have our hero who is beautiful to look at, but doesn't have much in personality and apparently no family or backstory, we have a scientist who can't shut his mouth and insults every living thing, we have a hot alien babe who dresses in clothes two sizes too small for her and doesn't have much to say, and a warrior who grunts and shoots everyone in sight.

So much for the original story ideas.
                              It's going to sound very cynical but: SGA: Shep's team is easier to write, that way they can simply rehash old SG-1 script. Save the trouble. As for showing Atlantis, they only show Atlantis when they need some eyecandy to fill up the time to 45 min.
                              Signed,

Gregorius
                              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

never thought I'd check in here...

...but ALL of the actors can do FAR better than this TRIPE they've been given to work with.
                                sigpic
                                Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Working...
                                X