Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
    After what the network announced, DVR is very important now, since it is adding more viewers that watch the commercials. Seriously though when the show is on so late, do you think it's bad that people wait till the next day to watch it?
    Well, if the show is *so* popular, why they don't air it at 8? Or 9? Our coutnry usually doesn't have replays the next day. Not even the same day. After a few years they might repeat it from the beginning but that's all.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      After what the network announced, DVR is very important now, since it is adding more viewers that watch the commercials.
      Amusing, you actually think people watch the commercials? From what I can recall commercials are "treat refill time" and/or "toilet time" and/or "drinks refill time". Then again, like a lot of people, I rarely see commercials these days since I either watch the shows on the public channels (government sponsored), like the BBC, where there are either no commercials or only commercials between shows or I download the show so I don't have to watch the commercials. And I'm not alone since most people that record a show simply skip the commercials.

      Anyway, the "adding more viewers to the ratings" is flawed. Nielsen's systems are outdated since they fail to take into account downloads.
      Signed,

      Gregorius
      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.


      sigpic

      Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

      Comment


        Europe

        Belgium - gotten all of SG1 - currently showing season 3 of Atlantis (next episode = Common Ground) - Sundays at 6pm.

        Czech Republic - whole 10 seasons of SG-1, no SGA
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

        Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

        Comment


          Question to Brian...does multiple viewing on DVR count? Like, I DVR the ep, watch it the next day, then rewatch it sometime after on DVR because there's nothing on TV?

          Comment


            Europe

            * Belgium - gotten all of SG1 - currently showing season 3 of Atlantis (next episode = Common Ground) - Sundays at 6pm.
            * Czech Republic - whole 10 seasons of SG-1, no SGA

            * Germany: All of SG1, currently showing SGA season 3 (last episode: The Return, both parts)

            Originally posted by dana View Post
            Question to Brian...does multiple viewing on DVR count? Like, I DVR the ep, watch it the next day, then rewatch it sometime after on DVR because there's nothing on TV?
            I already wondered about that a while back...and it appears it's only counted ones.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

            Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

            Comment


              Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
              Skiffy has been suffering from low ratings for a while and NBC is now apparently in trouble too, having to refund ad costs because the ratings are so low. The strike is only going to make things worse for networks. Are they going to hang onto weaker shows like SGA or dump them when the going gets really tough?

              Interesting commentary from the USA network execs:

              USA Executive VP of Original Programming, Jeff Wachtel, says of his network's decision, "We wish we could keep all our great shows alive forever. But we feel we need to give some of our new shows a platform to grow, and it's with great sadness that we say goodbye to two shows that had a great run and helped create the resurgence of original programming on our network and on all of cable."

              Gee, that could easily apply to SGA, huh?
              Actually, SGA's C3 has been putting them higher than their "Live Raw" which means there are more commercial viewing audience than originally calculated.

              The C3 report was added this season to actually view the amount of people watching the commercials. As you know the ratings we see posted are "Live + Same day of DVR" Most shows, especially for the major networks go back down to live raw after C3 but SGA is hitting between these two numbers. Hence, is counting more viewers than there was before that are important to advertisers.

              SCI Fi is also one of the top networks for retaining commercial viewing. It must be the way they set up the commercials or if have you noticed there are A LOT of commercials on SCI FI than any other network?
              sigpic

              Comment


                So, it's not because Atlantis has good stories, or because of the characters... No, it got renewed because people watch for the commercials!

                The story & characters serve the commercials.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

                Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

                Comment


                  Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                  Skiffy has been suffering from low ratings for a while and NBC is now apparently in trouble too, having to refund ad costs because the ratings are so low. The strike is only going to make things worse for networks. Are they going to hang onto weaker shows like SGA or dump them when the going gets really tough?
                  This strike is excellent. I hope it continues for some time, that it will just long enough to get people to turn off their tv and puke whenever they see a reality show on television, like Idols or Big Brother clones.

                  As for the weaker shows, isn't SGA still one of the highest rated shows on SciFi? If so it'll remain save for some time since the strike assures that there will be no new shows. Also, it's a Canadian show and since it only lost one writer to the strike, Carl Binder I believe, it'll be kept as long as SciFi needs new episodes (reruns are bad for ratings).
                  Signed,

                  Gregorius
                  Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.


                  sigpic

                  Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                  Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                    Amusing, you actually think people watch the commercials? From what I can recall commercials are "treat refill time" and/or "toilet time" and/or "drinks refill time". Then again, like a lot of people, I rarely see commercials these days since I either watch the shows on the public channels (government sponsored), like the BBC, where there are either no commercials or only commercials between shows or I download the show so I don't have to watch the commercials. And I'm not alone since most people that record a show simply skip the commercials.

                    Anyway, the "adding more viewers to the ratings" is flawed. Nielsen's systems are outdated since they fail to take into account downloads.
                    You know what I agree. Even nielsen knows its flawed but they do the best they can. It is why things like the net and DVR are changing the TV industry. NBCU has already likely accepted the changes like making a deal with Tivo. When you have people taking advantage of technology, are the shows doing worse? Look at SGA which every ep this season has been in the top 10 for Itunes overall TV shows. It's going up against eps like "Family Guy" "Grey's Anatomy" and etc. This Mortal Coil hit the top 5!

                    BTW, I think people are paying attention to the commercials when they FF them rather than get up like you said. If you own a DVR how many times do you stop it too soon, or are reading the logos for the ads? It's very interesting how the future of TV advertising is going to be.

                    I just hope they don't start putting little cameras in the cable boxes to see if people are getting up, lol. Kidding!

                    Originally posted by dana View Post
                    Question to Brian...does multiple viewing on DVR count? Like, I DVR the ep, watch it the next day, then rewatch it sometime after on DVR because there's nothing on TV?
                    No once you play it back it is registered and that's it, that is of course if you are a nielsen family.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      The story & characters serve the commercials.
                      Sad isn't it?
                      Signed,

                      Gregorius
                      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.


                      sigpic

                      Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                        Sad isn't it?
                        *nods*
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

                        Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          So, it's not because Atlantis has good stories, or because of the characters... No, it got renewed because people watch for the commercials!

                          The story & characters serve the commercials.
                          Well the dip in ratings could of been a number of things. I personally think it was the loss of SG-1's casual viewers. When you look at the finale and eps like "200", SGA truly fed on those viewers. It could be some disgust and character changes with this season. We cannot compare what people say on the internet here as a reflection of the overall ratings dip. We are a small portion sadly of the total amount of fans. Look at Tabula Rasa which I know from that poll got a lot of good feedback from this community, SCI FI also. Sadly it had the lowest numbers of the season which stinks.

                          Then again the next episode had the best numbers of the since the premiere. So maybe a lot of the other viewers enjoyed that eps and mostly stuck around for the next ep.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            I do hope most of you stick around for Season 5, and I do hope you enjoy Season 5 like you did with the earlier seasons. Maybe Season 5 will be like the SG-1 Season 7, who knows.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                              BTW, I think people are paying attention to the commercials when they FF them rather than get up like you said. If you own a DVR how many times do you stop it too soon, or are reading the logos for the ads?
                              I own a DVR, this is one of those olders models that don't cut away the commercials sadly, and I don't pay attention to commercials simply because I, and most people with DVRs I know, block them out. Besides that there are always those lovely previews and government messages after the commercials end and before the program continues, so it's rather hard too stop it too soon.

                              It's very interesting how the future of TV advertising is going to be.
                              In-series advertising, companies will pay PTBs to use their products within the series (See Monk and the cars his assistant drives and then compare those to the sponsors of the show). Also this form of advertising is by far more effective (Remember smoking and drinking in movies and series? It was found that when characters do it in a series people unconciously mimic it)

                              I just hope they don't start putting little cameras in the cable boxes to see if people are getting up, lol. Kidding!
                              Don't tempt fate, if commercial interests are big enough they'll do it regardless of your rights.
                              Signed,

                              Gregorius
                              Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.


                              sigpic

                              Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                              Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                                I own a DVR, this is one of those olders models that don't cut away the commercials sadly, and I don't pay attention to commercials simply because I, and most people with DVRs I know, block them out. Besides that there are always those lovely previews and government messages after the commercials end and before the program continues, so it's rather hard too stop it too soon.



                                In-series advertising, companies will pay PTBs to use their products within the series (See Monk and the cars his assistant drives and then compare those to the sponsors of the show). Also this form of advertising is by far more effective (Remember smoking and drinking in movies and series? It was found that when characters do it in a series people unconciously mimic it)



                                Don't tempt fate, if commercial interests are big enough they'll do it regardless of your rights.

                                Yeah, I think product placement will happen. Yup we'll see Sheppard with a "Nike" logo on his vest while he is walking through the Stargate.

                                LOL, yeah makes me glad I'm not a nielsen family. Their new mission statement... "We're watching you"
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X