Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
    Did you ever doubt that?
    Never.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

The difference in standards becomes a lot more clearer when you start compare European programs/series with US programs/series. In most European series you'll see that the story has the focus and the flashy effects are merely there to facilitate the story or make it look better. US series, and films, on the other hand have the tendency to have the story facilitate the flashy effects (If it looks good it sells!). But this difference in standards is also noticable when compare American series with Anime or Asian series/movies, the latter have by far, in most cases, a far better storyline and more character development despite a far lower budget.

Now if you start comparing tv-shows between Europe and the USA you'll see even greater differences. From what I can tell there are very few shows in the US that are satirical in nature and ridicule the government and important figures, the only such shows I know in the USA are the Daily Show and the Colber Report. Now if you look at Europe you'll see that there are by far more such shows on television, just take a look at the UK (Have I got news for you is a great example). If you then also compare the newsstations you'll see that most in the US are usually positive with regards to the government while most Europeans newsstations are more objective and thus also deliver critical news on the government. Finally. if you look at what's allowed on television you'll see that in the US less things are allowed and that their reaction to certain things (Nipplegate is a great example) is completely the opposite when compared to Europe.
      Signed,

Gregorius
      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Rare jongens die Amerikanen!

Weird guys those Americans! (not as accurately translated and if you're not an Asterix-fan you won't know what I'm talking about, which is possible the whole thread)
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
          The difference in standards becomes a lot more clearer when you start compare European programs/series with US programs/series. In most European series you'll see that the story has the focus and the flashy effects are merely there to facilitate the story or make it look better. US series, and films, on the other hand have the tendency to have the story facilitate the flashy effects (If it looks good it sells!). But this difference in standards is also noticable when compare American series with Anime or Asian series/movies, the latter have by far, in most cases, a far better storyline and more character development despite a far lower budget.

Now if you start comparing tv-shows between Europe and the USA you'll see even greater differences. From what I can tell there are very few shows in the US that are satirical in nature and ridicule the government and important figures, the only such shows I know in the USA are the Daily Show and the Colber Report. Now if you look at Europe you'll see that there are by far more such shows on television, just take a look at the UK (Have I got news for you is a great example). If you then also compare the newsstations you'll see that most in the US are usually positive with regards to the government while most Europeans newsstations are more objective and thus also deliver critical news on the government. Finally. if you look at what's allowed on television you'll see that in the US less things are allowed and that their reaction to certain things (Nipplegate is a great example) is completely the opposite when compared to Europe.
          ...so bottom line : Y'all oppressed and we live free? Is it our fault that we are different?

Comment

You really don't want to go there. But if you really want too , have a look here:
            Uncle SAM
            I've seen that on a show here, people in the audience and even the guests were flabbergasted by it.

Europe is not the 2 or 3 countries you refer too.
            Please name those few countries? If you mention France and Germany you'll have what they call the engine of Europe and if you mention the Netherlands as well you'll have one of the driving forces behind the formation of the EU.

Besides that, when most people refer to Europe they mean the EU not the continent.
            Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Weird guys those Americans! (not as accurately translated and if you're not an Asterix-fan you won't know what I'm talking about, which is possible the whole thread)
              Speak for yourself .

Comment

If you mention France and Germany you'll have what they call the engine of Europe and if you mention the Netherlands as well you'll have one of the driving forces behind the formation of the EU. The Dutch vote against EU regulations .
                You should brush up on your history mate. The country who invented the EU and was the driving force for this was LUXEMBOURG! France and Italy are the number one countries when it comes to strikes.

Besides that, when most people refer to Europe they mean the EU not the continent.
                Completely wrong and I saw that in the UK. Landed on Heathrow and the guy looks at my passport and he is like: "Is Luxembourg in the EU?" I said " No shi* Sherlock, we invented the EU". Europe is not the EU and the EU is not Europe .

Comment

...so bottom line : Y'all oppressed and we live free? Is it our fault that we are different?
                  Bottom line is that there is a completely different mentallity and culture in the USA when compared to Europe (Although the joke in Europe is that the US has no culture).

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Weird guys those Americans! (not as accurately translated and if you're not an Asterix-fan you won't know what I'm talking about, which is possible the whole thread)[/QUOTE]

"Ils sont fous, ces Américains" would be the proper phrase if you get the original French line, and then it translates to "They are crazy, those Americans".

Are you from Belgium/The Netherlands?
                  Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Let's get this more about season four please
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      Let's get this more about season four please
                      Okay, back to S4.

Miller's crossing nitpick time:
                      - Why on Earth weren't those messages McKay send encrypted? With a decent encryption the industrial mongol wouldn't have been capable of reading it.
                      - Why is Jeannie allowed to work with classified material outside of a properly secured lab?
                      - Why was the camera feed to the lab tied in with mission critical systems?
                      Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

People in Europe have high standards. But more seriously, I think it's a difference in mentallity. If people in Europe don't like something they band together and start protesting, campaigning, striking, etc.. Just look at the amount of strikes and protests in Europe and then compare it to the USA.
                        I'm an American anti, or semi-anti, or whatever. I think you're right about the protesting, and I think it comes in large part from apathy. It can be hard to get people in America to care about something if it doesn't directly effect them. It's easier to just say oh well and get on with life. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think there's some truth there. Also there's a disturbing lack of sympathy for strikers here. I'm surprised the public has been fairly supportive of the writer's strike.

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                          I'm an American anti, or semi-anti, or whatever. I think you're right about the protesting, and I think it comes in large part from apathy. It can be hard to get people in America to care about something if it doesn't directly effect them. It's easier to just say oh well and get on with life. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think there's some truth there. Also there's a disturbing lack of sympathy for strikers here. I'm surprised the public has been fairly supportive of the writer's strike.
                          It's probably more of an "OMG! What the hell are we going to do with no TV to watch" than actual concern for the writers.

Man, if you saw the number of strikes and protests we have here....

You want more money? The union will strike. You want better hours and conditions? The union will strike. Your company in receivership? Go on strike. You don't agree with the new industrial relations laws? Hold mega rallies with tens of thousands of people on every city, shutting down worksites all over the country. And so on. And so forth. And nobody thinks anything of it.

To keep it on topic -- let's all go to Vancouver and hold a great big rally... or maybe not... JM would probably just throw things at us.

Comment

You really don't want to go there. But if you really want too , have a look here:
                            Uncle SAM
                            As someone, who's country will be invaded before too long, I say: BRING IT ON, *non-pg word*!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
                              *snip*
                              To keep it on topic -- let's all go to Vancouver and hold a great big rally... or maybe not... JM would probably just throw things at us.
                              Hmm, stapler maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
                                And my lightsaber makes sure he won't have anything to throw things at us with

Comment

Working...
                                X