Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey! I asked for that one Do you mind if we both use it?
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      Hey! I asked for that one Do you mind if we both use it?
      oh dang didn't realize. Sorry.

Comment

guys, this IS a pg forum, let's try to keep things circumspect please...and keep the topics appropriate
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Okay Sky.

Comment

I agree, I'd hate to see the main character of a show written like original O'Neill. Shep has his highs and lows, it's okay if you guys don't like him - sometimes I wish he would just zip up - but prison talk is what got me a bit disturbed, that's all.
            I have to agree. What makes Shep interesting to me is the fact that he is a bit of a rebel, with a checkered, mysterious past. A girl in every port, goes to the wall for his people, pushes the envelope with authority figures, etc., etc. He’s James Kirk, John Dekker and The Terminator all rolled into one. LOL. I would never, ever imagine applying real life military code to him or any other character on Atlantis. If this were a show about the military, than maybe; but a sci fi show about exploring life in another galaxy? I don’t know if that’s how SG1 was set up, but it just doesn’t fit with my idea of what the show should be about.
            sigpic

Comment

I don't think JF being a PTB would help, anyway. He'd still have to fight all the other PTB over every decision (assuming he even wants to do the things we want him to) and it wouldn't change the fact that a lot of bad decisions have already been made. Carson is already gone. Weir is already gone. And if Joe became a PTB chances are that Shep would soon be gone, too, since PTB'ing is a pretty full-time job, same as acting. Trying to wear both hats would be exhausting. It might be okay for an ep or two, but a whole season? Or longer?

*shrug* Maybe there are examples of people starring in a show and producing it, but I'm not sure I'd want to wish that on JF.

As for the character of Shep, my initial apathy towards him changed to hatred and resentment as the show progressed. Between the Kirking, the inability to follow any order that he doesn't like and the fact that 90% of the stories seem to center around him and/or McKay, I've found very little to enjoy about his character. Snarking only takes you so far and unfortunately, like so much else about him, it, too, is overdone. IMO, of course.

Lots of people love him, though, and that's fine; he was designed to be lovable. I'm simply a contrary person.

For me, Shep illustrates one of the biggest problems with TPTB: their inability to maintain balance. Shep is (again, IMO) an overdone character with too much of some things and not enough of others and he's not only overused but poorly used. There's a time and a place for everything and TPTB have no timing and lack a sense of direction, which is unfortunately reflected in the show. Shep disobeys orders, but not always at the right times or for the right reasons and the plans he implements instead aren't always superior to what he'd been told to do. Yes, eventually they work, but that's not quite the same thing.

Anyway, this is probably a bit like trying to beat back the tide with a stick- I know I won't convince the Shep supporters of my issues with the character, but I'm not really trying to, anyway. That's just how I see it. *shrug* Shep has (or possibly had at this point) a lot of potential to be a great character, but he's pretty much been squandered in favor of cheap laughs and Hollywood heroism. And I doubt having Joe as a PTB would improve things- it might even make things worse. If TPTB ran roughshod over the story Joe submitted last season, what makes you think they'd be any more inclined to listen to him if he was put in a position of power? They'd say, "Yeah, yeah, sure Joe, that's a great idea. But why don't we do this instead?" and do something completely different, possibly even pinning responsibility on Joe's shoulders. Not sure I'd care for that, myself.

Comment

Hint: don't take this thread too seriously.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post

For me, Shep illustrates one of the biggest problems with TPTB: their inability to maintain balance. Shep is (again, IMO) an overdone character with too much of some things and not enough of others and he's not only overused but poorly used. There's a time and a place for everything and TPTB have no timing and lack a sense of direction, which is unfortunately reflected in the show. Shep disobeys orders, but not always at the right times or for the right reasons and the plans he implements instead aren't always superior to what he'd been told to do. Yes, eventually they work, but that's not quite the same thing.

Anyway, this is probably a bit like trying to beat back the tide with a stick- I know I won't convince the Shep supporters of my issues with the character, but I'm not really trying to, anyway. That's just how I see it. *shrug* Shep has (or possibly had at this point) a lot of potential to be a great character, but he's pretty much been squandered in favor of cheap laughs and Hollywood heroism. And I doubt having Joe as a PTB would improve things- it might even make things worse. If TPTB ran roughshod over the story Joe submitted last season, what makes you think they'd be any more inclined to listen to him if he was put in a position of power? They'd say, "Yeah, yeah, sure Joe, that's a great idea. But why don't we do this instead?" and do something completely different, possibly even pinning responsibility on Joe's shoulders. Not sure I'd care for that, myself.
                  I think you nailed it. When I saw "The Rising" i was really interested to know more about Shep. there are some great Shep moments in first 3 seasons, but tptb use him poorly. *nods* He still has a great potential, but I fear that between CGI, McShep and kirking he will become even more irritating. And that is shame.

Comment

in all things you need a balance

what frustrated many of us about s9 and 10? it was 80% Vaniel and the Bori. The other characters, including thier new leading male, were ignored most of the time.

Great if you like Vaniel and the Bori...not so great if you like something else, anything else.

Atlantis has some of the same issues. the focus on McShep, rodney ranting, Shep being the rogueish hero. Cool if you like it, not so cool if you'd like to see something else.

Over the years, prior to s9, SG1 had a balance. everyone would get thier time in the sun and would have their share of the eps.

and, while no one was happy all of the time, more were happy most of the time. it wasn't all or nothing...which is a lot of what we get now
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Bori?
                      sigpic

Comment

Boring Ori = Bori?

Comment

Boring Ori = Bori?
                          sigpic

Comment

It's not JF thread so I'd say you're right. I don't think I was gushing over him, I was discussing Sheppard and what i like or don't like about the character. But discussing what he (JF) said at the con wasn't I guess because it relates to many anti S4 issues. But I guess you can disagree with me on this.

I'm sorry I just don't feel comfortable with prison discussion. Because of my profession I know a lot about prisons... the idea just makes me shudder, that's all.
                            I gushed. You say that like it's a bad thing.

And the prison discussion was way too much.

I think you nailed it. When I saw "The Rising" i was really interested to know more about Shep. there are some great Shep moments in first 3 seasons, but tptb use him poorly. *nods* He still has a great potential, but I fear that between CGI, McShep and kirking he will become even more irritating. And that is shame.
                            That sums my feelings up nicely too. If I wanted to see a squared away military guy, I wouldn't be watching this show. There are all kinds in the military. Shep is not rare by any means.

However, his character has been badly used, underused and abused for 3+ years now. If he's going to be the hero, it's time they made him the hero. He should not be perfect. His flaws are what make him interesting. And I agree with JF that his character should not be overly emotional. Seeing him try to hold back his emotions is much more interesting than watching him sob into his pillow. The character was designed to be quirky. They told us right off the bat that he was prone to disobeying orders. Who can forget the last scene in Rising when he tells Weir. "You know I can get us into all kinds of trouble. Right?" That sets the scene for how his character is going to be played. Why now after 3+ years are we quibbling with that description? If he grows and matures too much and stops getting them into trouble, what then? Will we be reduced to watching Shep and Rodney do reports and play chess? Will we get to enjoy an episode that has Shep shining his brass while Ronon polishes his boots? McKay does KP. Stay tuned?

I don't see any real reason to change their whole concept of the show at this point...oh wait. Anyway, IMHO the McShep show has been a bit overused, but let's be frank, without the slash element it wouldn't be as big a deal. Whether you like McShep as BFF or the other BFF is irrelevant. The question is do we want it to go on and on in every show?

If you listen to the S3 commentaries, CGI seems to be the only reason for doing this show. LOL.

And kirking, I ranted on yesterday.
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I think TPTB set up Shep to be the anti-hero with a mysterious, possibly tainted past, but over the seasons they never really went into what made him so mysterious and tainted. It's like they wanted to build the mystery or they didn't really have a good answer to his past, so it was largely ignored. And that has seriously weakened his character, IMO.

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                              5000+ posts

Congrats, Antis!
                              Woot! Well, as woot! as one can be when a major fandom forum has such a large anti thread. That's never a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                                As for the character of Shep, my initial apathy towards him changed to hatred and resentment as the show progressed. Between the Kirking, the inability to follow any order that he doesn't like and the fact that 90% of the stories seem to center around him and/or McKay, I've found very little to enjoy about his character. Snarking only takes you so far and unfortunately, like so much else about him, it, too, is overdone. IMO, of course.
                                I wouldn't use the words hatred and resentment in my case, but even though I don't have anything against him, John was never my favorite character.

He's very similar to O'Neill in some departments, but I always adored Jack and honestly never found him as irritating as I sometimes find John. It could be the fact that while Jack was the lead character in the SG1, there was less of a hierarchy among the SG1 characters than in SGA.

Lots of people love him, though, and that's fine; he was designed to be lovable. I'm simply a contrary person.
                                Make it two. I'm the kind of person that avoids what everybody else likes / does. If white is the color to wear this season, you'll probably see me in black.

I think that's exactly the point. They've established some kind of formula with him (and with the Sheppard / McKay interaction) and they're using it over and over, and the good moments he has are promptly forgotten when the 'reset character developement' button is pushed at the end of each episode. Except for Ronon, it looks like the SGA characters are in a psychological loop.

All in all, I stick by my opinion: =

Maybe. Browder said once at a Farscape con that the SG1 ptb weren't as prone to accepting prompts from the actors as the FS writers were, but I suppose that if one of them were to be 'promoted' to ptb status things would be different.

The problem is, they aren't going to be promoting anyone, or hiring new writers (even though they'd need it) anytime soon, because they don't want anyone interfering in the close group they've established over the years.

Comment

Working...
                                X