Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erised View Post
    JM doubts himself, as can be observed by his blog. You can see he's worrying about losing his job. <--(I think FP said that one in her LJ..not sure).
    Every negative comment is followed by "Why don't you watch all of season 4?"
    Remember when he actually begged people to watch it? It was on a video on the official site. That was hilarious. Which show runner does THAT? A desperate one. He does that plus insults the fans, perfect strategy for better ratings! LOL It paid off, didn't it? haha

Originally posted by borgprincess View Post
    I saw Joe Flanigan on the weekend [lol, like it's so casual, it happens all the time, yeah...] and he made some interesting comments when I asked if he thought that the producers were trying to make Atlantis more like Stargate, what with Amanda coming over:

Spoiler:

"He [Chris] also has a guest spot but that’s about it. The truth is that there are overlapping reality, SG-1 and Atlantis, we have a similar landscape that we all live in. We go through the Stargate and everything else. It’s not unreasonable that they would show up occasionally. But I’m the one who voiced a slight concern about bringing over too many characters from SG-1 before you lose your identity as the show. I think with Amanda, it pretty much stays there and occasionally, Michael or Chris will come on, but I don’t think you’re going to see too much more of that, so I think you’re ok. And it’s weird, because they’re really popular characters, people want to see them. And you have to be careful, you know, that you’re staying true to your show."

I think Joe's in tune with what the fans want. I like that he voices the opinion that 'hey, guys? Uh, this is SGA, not SG-1. If you've gotta bring Amanda over, whatever, but don't dilute our individuality anymore than that, 'kay?' Otherwise this isn't *our* show anymore.

Oh, god, I love Joe so much. No one even brought up Torri's name, or Elizabeth, they asked about his desire to have a combative relationship between Shep and Carter, and he goes on a tangent that reflects a lot of the problems I had with s4 and the reason that I'm anti:

Spoiler:

“"I miss Torri…it’s a tough position for everybody to be in. Because we all like Torri and we all like Amanda and we’re not producers, we’re just actors, we just tend to be enjoying ourselves and we’re mercifully spared of all that political junk.

So it was a slightly awkward thing to do and I have to say, it was interesting because we’d be shooting the first episodes with Amanda in it, and they said, “We just went right over the fact that Torri had died- WHOOM and we’re onto the next thing and I’m like, ‘Don’t you think we should kind of just stop for a minute and say, ‘Ohhh, I miss…I miss Dr Weir…? Now let’s go do something.’ And they were like, ‘Oh, yeah, that’s a great idea. That’s right, she did die, sentimentality, that’s good, I like that.’ The fact that we have to remind them sometimes shows how far they are down the road.

But this is science fiction, as you know, she could be back anytime, anyway, anyhow. And so she could- it could be Torri Higginson playing Colonel John Sheppard next season…

The part in bold just made me laugh!

I also asked what his thoughts were on TPTB writing out all these characters, because that's the HUGEST problem that I have with SGA:

Spoiler:
    "Why are they killing people off? That is a question best addressed to the producers. I am a fierce guardian of the actors. I love my actors and I defend them all the time and I will go to town on the producers and writers for the actors all the time which makes me a bit of a thorn in their side. But I’m okay with that. That’s kind of the character I play anyways, right? And so I am no longer privy to the inner workings of their thought process. I think initially they wanted to include me in all this and then they realized I was uncomfortable with their thought process. I, for example, was really upset when they got rid of Paul and they told me after they had done it. I think if they had told me beforehand, maybe I could have altered the circumstances a little bit.

And you know, it’s an interesting thing when you’re an actor, there is sometimes friction between producers and actors in terms of who has power and leverage, and this takes place on a lot of shows, and a lot less on our show, our show is not so much like this really. There will be an act sometimes to show who’s in charge. More importantly, there is a fictional reality, if there is such a term, there is a reality of our fictional universe which is that characters come and go and characters die and you’ll notice that the networks are pressuring the shows constantly to raise the stakes, kill characters. They want the audience to invest in characters and then kill them off. They want to create as much emotional mayhem as they can with the audience because they believe that is what attaches people to the show.

I think it’s pretty short-lived, you know, with Paul for example, I said ‘We’re going to kill him, we may get a short spike in the ratings but it’ll go back down. I don’t think we’re going to benefit at all from this type of thing.’ The audience is the opposite, they invest in a character, they want to see them...So...I’m just one voice. I don’t know what else to say about that. I’m still here!"

That is EXACTLY what I and a lot of other people have been saying here, Parisindy, remember that conversation about 'emotional investments'? He totally gets us. And it's a shame that the producers don't let him in on their decisions anymore, because if he had more leverage, the show would be so much better and I wouldn't have to be anti since he wouldn't let anyone go! I just don't know how he can make so much sense and the people in charge don't get what he's saying.
    Thanks for the report! He gets us, the antis, he's one of us. He should be given the title of the mentor of our ANTI thread or the leader or the celebrity representer or something similar.
    Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
    at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Honorable member?
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Or that, Anuna!

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
          Remember when he actually begged people to watch it? It was on a video on the official site. That was hilarious. Which show runner does THAT? A desperate one. He does that plus insults the fans, perfect strategy for better ratings! LOL It paid off, didn't it? haha
          When a show's producer has to resort to that it's time to pull the plug or get a new producer. If Atlantis wants a 5th series it's time to get the pruning shears out and attack the dead wood, not just cast wise but PTB wise too

Comment

I remember him saying after that on his blog that he was joking, being sarcastic etc. Didn't seem to me as joking....

Comment

Originally posted by dana View Post
              I remember him saying after that on his blog that he was joking, being sarcastic etc. Didn't seem to me as joking....
              Exactly - I was thinking, no you're snarky enough that you would not bend down that much unless you were really asking.

The thing is he can be aggravating - he purposely does so.
              sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                Honorable member?
                Heck, why not? Should we hold an anti-election or something?
                sigpic

Comment

Joe isn't the only one begging people to watch, didn't MGM have that "watch it live" campaign for the premiere, when the gung-ho hordes descended en masse, begging other Stargate fans to watch the premiere live? That doesn't speak of confidence, IMO. The only other times I can recall commercials for "live" viewing is when a show was actually filming an ep live.

Maybe Atlantis should try doing a live ep. It'd be freakin' hilarious.
                  Last edited by ShadowMaat; 16 October 2007, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Hmm I think I remember that. I want to hear it again. Do you have a link?

Comment

You made me visit that site... Anyway, I think that video has been removed, I don't see it there anymore. But I do see some people I don't want to see...

Comment

Originally posted by Erised View Post
                        Hmm I think I remember that. I want to hear it again. Do you have a link?
                        You made me visit that site... Anyway, I think that video has been removed, I don't see it there anymore. But I do see some people I don't want to see...
                        This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhSvhfqgeuY

sigpic

Comment

There have been a few complaints from people who think that people in this thread are taking potshots at people who are not anti so I just wanted to post a couple of things.

One, if you feel that there is something going on that is against the rules please don't stir things up by posting in the thread. Just report it and let the mods deal with it.

Two, my interpretation of ShadowMaats' post is that by the "mindless zombie" statement that she was referring to the actual organized by MGM movement in which a bunch of fans spammed GW with posts asking people to watch live so it's not a slam against pros in general but I would like to caution that people take care with their phrasing (not just Shadow).

Thanks!

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Thanks for the report! He gets us, the antis, he's one of us. He should be given the title of the mentor of our ANTI thread or the leader or the celebrity representer or something similar.
                            Maybe someone should send him a photo of the anti couch?

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                            Joe isn't the only one begging people to watch, didn't MGM have that "watch it live" campaign for the premiere, when the mindless zombie hordes descended en masse, begging other Stargate fans to watch the premiere live?
                            Oh yeah, how annoying was that? MGM was encouraging people to spam forums by giving out "rewards" like wallpaper and videos and whatever the hell. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post

Oh yeah, how annoying was that? MGM was encouraging people to spam forums by giving out "rewards" like wallpaper and videos and whatever the hell. Nice.
                              When was that??? o.O

btw I will watch that video when I get home Thanks!
                              Last edited by Erised; 16 October 2007, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I had good news at uni today so I decided to play a little with Photoshop...

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X