Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Atlantis is suffering without SG-1 as a lead-in, that tells me that people aren't watching Atlantis for Atlantis's sake, they're just leaving the TV on after SG-1 ended. Are casual viewers important to the show from a ratings stand-point? Yeah, probably, but the way you make a casual viewer a dedicated viewer is by making the show so good that they get hooked and will follow it wherever it goes and regardless of what's on before (or during) the show. Casual viewers may pad the numbers, but without a dedicated audience, a show is toast.

I don't see Atlantis as being a long-term show. It got off to a good start in season 1, but they quickly dropped the ball by tying Atlantis so irrevocably to SG-1. Yes, they're both set in the same universe and yes, it makes sense that there'd be a certain amount of crossover, but a little goes a long way and that's one lesson TPTB have never learned.

Atlantis has never really been allowed to develop its own voice. It has its moments, of course, but for the most part, as ToF (and countless others) have said, Atlantis has always- and will always be in the shadow of SG-1. The formula, the atmosphere, even some of the plots and characters all borrow heavily from SG-1. Instead of making Atlantis unique, they to the "winning formula" from SG-1 and just copied it. The team make-up is basically the same, as are some of the character types, and the one thing that could have given Atlantis a different spin- civilian leadership- was mostly a joke and never fully explored. Almost from the start, Atlantis was cast into Military Mode. What other reaction could there possibly be to stepping through the gate and inadvertently starting a war? Very few of the missions were pure exploration; the team was always looking for something, whether it was power sources, allies or enemies. I'd like to know why TPTB even bothered pretending that Atlantis was ever going to be anything but another military-oriented action show. They finally gave up that pretense and now they've given up on Weir as well. She was a civilian on a military outpost. What use was that? Not much, from the way TPTB treated her. Whatever platitudes they spew, I doubt that we'll see her much- if ever- again.

One of the biggest enemies Atlantis is facing right now are retreads from an enemy on SG-1. Call them Asurans or call them Replicators, it's hard not to notice the heavy similarities in appearance and action. If Atlantis is so great and original, how come they don't have a unique enemy of their own? There's always the Wraith, but the show seems to be moving away from them in favor of the Asurans. Safer ground for the writers, perhaps, but what about the audience?

Personally I'm sick of all the copying, the borrowing, the cannibalizing, and the other desperate efforts made to shove SG-1 stuff into another galaxy. It's been said before and it'll be said many times again: I want to watch Atlantis, not SG-1. Although at this rate it may become a moot point; there are already campaigns underway to try and "save" Atlantis. Even the dedicated fandom has lost enough confidence in the show (or in SCIFI as they will undoubtedly argue) that they feel these tactics are necessary. Everyone is begging everyone else to watch the show live (even though as far as I know it's still only Nielsen families who count and they know better than anyone the importance of live viewing) and fights break out every time "DVR" is mentioned.

These are sad days for Stargate Atlantis, and while there's always enough blame to go around, I still say that most of it rests on the shoulders of TPTB. With all the stunts they've pulled over the past four seasons, from killing off beloved characters to bringing in fresh blood and familiar faces to changing enemies and uniforms every chance they get, to hoping that Reuse and Recycle means Renew(al), their tactics don't seem to be working.

Sure, there's still a deeply loyal contingent who will watch the show no matter what, but you can't count on people like that to be the majority, you have to make the show appealing to a wider audience. And dressing the team in leather is NOT the right way to make the show appealing.

I'd say that TPTB need to concentrate on telling good stories and developing good characters (contrary to popular belief the universe doesn't revolve around Sheppard and McKay) but after all this time I sincerely doubt they're about to change their stripes and focus on what's important rather than what they like best. Atlantis is doomed. The only question is how long it will take to finish dying.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      there are already campaigns underway to try and "save" Atlantis. Even the dedicated fandom has lost enough confidence in the show (or in SCIFI as they will undoubtedly argue) that they feel these tactics are necessary.
      Can I just say, I do actually think the 'Save Atlantis' stuff would stem more from the worry of it being cancelled due to ratings i.e SciFi, as opposed to seeing these apparent problems with the show that you keep going on about. If these problems were widely recognised, I doubt there would be so many pros, or I at least doubt there would be many trying to 'save the show'. Like it or not, it has nothing to do with probelms with writing/quality to them. Don't try to undermine this with your "(or in SCIFI as they will undoubtedly argue)" please.

(And before you start attacking me for being here, don't write stuff about pro people and not expect them to defend themselves if they disagree)

Comment

Originally posted by borgprincess View Post
        You write fic, Skydiver? It's so bad for me, but I can't resist the pull, lol. I get your point though. I can hate what I write and think it's rubbish and post it anyway on the off chance someone will like it. But that's a totally different scale to what JM deals with. I can understand the pressures on him without approving of his decisions, though.

I saw Joe Flanigan on the weekend [lol, like it's so casual, it happens all the time, yeah...] and he made some interesting comments when I asked if he thought that the producers were trying to make Atlantis more like Stargate, what with Amanda coming over:

Spoiler:

"He [Chris] also has a guest spot but that’s about it. The truth is that there are overlapping reality, SG-1 and Atlantis, we have a similar landscape that we all live in. We go through the Stargate and everything else. It’s not unreasonable that they would show up occasionally. But I’m the one who voiced a slight concern about bringing over too many characters from SG-1 before you lose your identity as the show. I think with Amanda, it pretty much stays there and occasionally, Michael or Chris will come on, but I don’t think you’re going to see too much more of that, so I think you’re ok. And it’s weird, because they’re really popular characters, people want to see them. And you have to be careful, you know, that you’re staying true to your show."

I think Joe's in tune with what the fans want. I like that he voices the opinion that 'hey, guys? Uh, this is SGA, not SG-1. If you've gotta bring Amanda over, whatever, but don't dilute our individuality anymore than that, 'kay?' Otherwise this isn't *our* show anymore.

Oh, god, I love Joe so much. No one even brought up Torri's name, or Elizabeth, they asked about his desire to have a combative relationship between Shep and Carter, and he goes on a tangent that reflects a lot of the problems I had with s4 and the reason that I'm anti:

Spoiler:

“"I miss Torri…it’s a tough position for everybody to be in. Because we all like Torri and we all like Amanda and we’re not producers, we’re just actors, we just tend to be enjoying ourselves and we’re mercifully spared of all that political junk.

So it was a slightly awkward thing to do and I have to say, it was interesting because we’d be shooting the first episodes with Amanda in it, and they said, “We just went right over the fact that Torri had died- WHOOM and we’re onto the next thing and I’m like, ‘Don’t you think we should kind of just stop for a minute and say, ‘Ohhh, I miss…I miss Dr Weir…? Now let’s go do something.’ And they were like, ‘Oh, yeah, that’s a great idea. That’s right, she did die, sentimentality, that’s good, I like that.’ The fact that we have to remind them sometimes shows how far they are down the road.

But this is science fiction, as you know, she could be back anytime, anyway, anyhow. And so she could- it could be Torri Higginson playing Colonel John Sheppard next season…

The part in bold just made me laugh!

I also asked what his thoughts were on TPTB writing out all these characters, because that's the HUGEST problem that I have with SGA:

Spoiler:
        "Why are they killing people off? That is a question best addressed to the producers. I am a fierce guardian of the actors. I love my actors and I defend them all the time and I will go to town on the producers and writers for the actors all the time which makes me a bit of a thorn in their side. But I’m okay with that. That’s kind of the character I play anyways, right? And so I am no longer privy to the inner workings of their thought process. I think initially they wanted to include me in all this and then they realized I was uncomfortable with their thought process. I, for example, was really upset when they got rid of Paul and they told me after they had done it. I think if they had told me beforehand, maybe I could have altered the circumstances a little bit.

And you know, it’s an interesting thing when you’re an actor, there is sometimes friction between producers and actors in terms of who has power and leverage, and this takes place on a lot of shows, and a lot less on our show, our show is not so much like this really. There will be an act sometimes to show who’s in charge. More importantly, there is a fictional reality, if there is such a term, there is a reality of our fictional universe which is that characters come and go and characters die and you’ll notice that the networks are pressuring the shows constantly to raise the stakes, kill characters. They want the audience to invest in characters and then kill them off. They want to create as much emotional mayhem as they can with the audience because they believe that is what attaches people to the show.

I think it’s pretty short-lived, you know, with Paul for example, I said ‘We’re going to kill him, we may get a short spike in the ratings but it’ll go back down. I don’t think we’re going to benefit at all from this type of thing.’ The audience is the opposite, they invest in a character, they want to see them...So...I’m just one voice. I don’t know what else to say about that. I’m still here!"

That is EXACTLY what I and a lot of other people have been saying here, Parisindy, remember that conversation about 'emotional investments'? He totally gets us. And it's a shame that the producers don't let him in on their decisions anymore, because if he had more leverage, the show would be so much better and I wouldn't have to be anti since he wouldn't let anyone go! I just don't know how he can make so much sense and the people in charge don't get what he's saying.

Seriously, are they out yet? People have been talking about them for ages and yet I haven't heard anything...
        Thanks for the interesting info hon, it's very much appreciated. Sounds like you had a great time.

Comment

The only question is how long it will take to finish dying.
          IMHO, Sci Fi is waiting SGA hit bottom in terms of ratings (0.x) to pull the plug on the show with authority.

*remembers UPN/Enterprise days*
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by borgprincess View Post
            I saw Joe Flanigan on the weekend [lol, like it's so casual, it happens all the time, yeah...] and he made some interesting comments when I asked if he thought that the producers were trying to make Atlantis more like Stargate, what with Amanda coming over:

Spoiler:

"He [Chris] also has a guest spot but that’s about it. The truth is that there are overlapping reality, SG-1 and Atlantis, we have a similar landscape that we all live in. We go through the Stargate and everything else. It’s not unreasonable that they would show up occasionally. But I’m the one who voiced a slight concern about bringing over too many characters from SG-1 before you lose your identity as the show. I think with Amanda, it pretty much stays there and occasionally, Michael or Chris will come on, but I don’t think you’re going to see too much more of that, so I think you’re ok. And it’s weird, because they’re really popular characters, people want to see them. And you have to be careful, you know, that you’re staying true to your show."

I think Joe's in tune with what the fans want. I like that he voices the opinion that 'hey, guys? Uh, this is SGA, not SG-1. If you've gotta bring Amanda over, whatever, but don't dilute our individuality anymore than that, 'kay?' Otherwise this isn't *our* show anymore.

Oh, god, I love Joe so much. No one even brought up Torri's name, or Elizabeth, they asked about his desire to have a combative relationship between Shep and Carter, and he goes on a tangent that reflects a lot of the problems I had with s4 and the reason that I'm anti:

Spoiler:

“"I miss Torri…it’s a tough position for everybody to be in. Because we all like Torri and we all like Amanda and we’re not producers, we’re just actors, we just tend to be enjoying ourselves and we’re mercifully spared of all that political junk.

So it was a slightly awkward thing to do and I have to say, it was interesting because we’d be shooting the first episodes with Amanda in it, and they said, “We just went right over the fact that Torri had died- WHOOM and we’re onto the next thing and I’m like, ‘Don’t you think we should kind of just stop for a minute and say, ‘Ohhh, I miss…I miss Dr Weir…? Now let’s go do something.’ And they were like, ‘Oh, yeah, that’s a great idea. That’s right, she did die, sentimentality, that’s good, I like that.’ The fact that we have to remind them sometimes shows how far they are down the road.

But this is science fiction, as you know, she could be back anytime, anyway, anyhow. And so she could- it could be Torri Higginson playing Colonel John Sheppard next season…

The part in bold just made me laugh!

I also asked what his thoughts were on TPTB writing out all these characters, because that's the HUGEST problem that I have with SGA:

Spoiler:
            "Why are they killing people off? That is a question best addressed to the producers. I am a fierce guardian of the actors. I love my actors and I defend them all the time and I will go to town on the producers and writers for the actors all the time which makes me a bit of a thorn in their side. But I’m okay with that. That’s kind of the character I play anyways, right? And so I am no longer privy to the inner workings of their thought process. I think initially they wanted to include me in all this and then they realized I was uncomfortable with their thought process. I, for example, was really upset when they got rid of Paul and they told me after they had done it. I think if they had told me beforehand, maybe I could have altered the circumstances a little bit.

And you know, it’s an interesting thing when you’re an actor, there is sometimes friction between producers and actors in terms of who has power and leverage, and this takes place on a lot of shows, and a lot less on our show, our show is not so much like this really. There will be an act sometimes to show who’s in charge. More importantly, there is a fictional reality, if there is such a term, there is a reality of our fictional universe which is that characters come and go and characters die and you’ll notice that the networks are pressuring the shows constantly to raise the stakes, kill characters. They want the audience to invest in characters and then kill them off. They want to create as much emotional mayhem as they can with the audience because they believe that is what attaches people to the show.

I think it’s pretty short-lived, you know, with Paul for example, I said ‘We’re going to kill him, we may get a short spike in the ratings but it’ll go back down. I don’t think we’re going to benefit at all from this type of thing.’ The audience is the opposite, they invest in a character, they want to see them...So...I’m just one voice. I don’t know what else to say about that. I’m still here!"

That is EXACTLY what I and a lot of other people have been saying here, Parisindy, remember that conversation about 'emotional investments'? He totally gets us. And it's a shame that the producers don't let him in on their decisions anymore, because if he had more leverage, the show would be so much better and I wouldn't have to be anti since he wouldn't let anyone go! I just don't know how he can make so much sense and the people in charge don't get what he's saying.

Seriously, are they out yet? People have been talking about them for ages and yet I haven't heard anything...
            Wow!! I think I just turned into a dedicated JF fan. Oh crap, that means his character will be killed next, they always kill off my favourites!

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
            I don't think Joe M. is really interested in bringing back Weir, to be honest. But if JF was in charge we would definitely see skateboarding in Atlantis.
            Skateboarding? *lol* Did I miss something?

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            I read today that movie makers use a computer model to test ideas. Dear God, help us if SciFi does this. Plug in the supposed demographic and spew out the old opinions. LOL.
            If it's as grant as the DNA computer model in Conversion, that explains a lot...

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
            I want a show with BOTH Joe & Torri where they exploit their awesome on-screen chemistry. We could come up with all kinds of scenarios.
            Sadly, if we come up with scenarios almost no-one could watch the show, it would be NC-90 or something

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
            I third that. She is the heart and soul of the show for me, period.
            I quadruple this!

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

I can only bend with laughter at DNA comment. Because I know exactly what it means coming from you, Fionnait!!!
              I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Originally Posted by Briangate78
                My biggest misgiving is the fate of Weir. I do not want to see her get the Ford treatment.
                Yeah. I agree to that, especially since Beckett's gone it would be a major bummer if they kept bumping MCs...<_<

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                  Can I just say, I do actually think the 'Save Atlantis' stuff would stem more from the worry of it being cancelled due to ratings i.e SciFi, as opposed to seeing these apparent problems with the show that you keep going on about.
                  Obviously it's due to the low ratings. And I took up quite a bit of space explaining why I think it's getting low ratings. Popular shows don't have to worry about low ratings because they're good enough to keep the audience interested and thus earn good ratings. If a show isn't pulling good numbers- particularly if it used to pull good numbers- that tells me that there's something about the show that is turning people off. If people are bored, they stop watching. If they stop watching, the numbers drop. It's that simple. Tack on as many "outside factors" as you want, but I say again, if people think a show is good enough then the "outside factors" won't make much difference because they're going to watch it anyway.

Incidentally, if dedicated fans saw and/or agreed about any of the problems I listed, they probably wouldn't be "dedicated fans" and they certainly wouldn't have any interest in trying to save the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
                    Skateboarding? *lol* Did I miss something?
                    JF appears to be an avid skateboarder in real life. I remember that one special where he took a camera, angled it at the bottom of his board to let people see where he was going, and took off. "That's what it's like to ride on my board!" Hee.

Those behind the gate specials were quite fun and really personalized the cast and crew - too bad they don't do those anymore.

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                    IMHO, Sci Fi is waiting SGA hit bottom in terms of ratings (0.x) to pull the plug on the show with authority.
                    I think there's a chance the show could get renewed because the ratings for everything else stink or because skiffy want to keep some sort of franchise going after BSG and they've got nothing else. It's not exactly the most glowing praise for SGA, is it? "Hey SGA, you've been sinking for a while but we've got nothing else that's good so there you go."

Comment

I think there's a chance the show could get renewed because the ratings for everything else stink or because skiffy want to keep some sort of franchise going after BSG and they've got nothing else. It's not exactly the most glowing praise for SGA, is it? "Hey SGA, you've been sinking for a while but we've got nothing else that's good so there you go."
                      Yup, that's pretty much what I figure. If SGA gets renewed, it won't be because it's a fantastic show with stellar ratings, it'll be because they have nothing better to use. And it certainly won't be because of any fan campaign.

Of course, Skiffy having nothing good has never stopped them from airing stuff before, but that probably just underlines the possibility of renewal.

Comment

Well, Skiffy could always cancel SGA and give BSG that fifth season, eh? I wouldn't complain. Better writing. No SG-1 relics.
                        sigpic

Comment

Me, I think S4 is suffering and I think the fact that there are campaigns at work to try and get the show renewed for another season speaks volumes. More so than any attempts to juggle the numbers to make them say whatever folks want them to say.
                          WORD. I don't remember anything that worked with these campaigns. Actually every petition people make seems to do just the opposite. Beckett got killed, Weir.. unknown but she's been written off. I don't know if there was one for Ford but I can see he's been completely forgotten too.

Save SG-1 campaign didn't work either, LOL. So people, keep campaigning

Alyssa, do you have a link to that Flanigan con? I want to read what he said

Not sure about this Weir coming back thing
                          Spoiler:
                          The Mortal Coil has Torri in it and the word "mortal" and "Elizabeth" can only mean one thing I think. But of course TPTB will come up with another excuse that no one ever dies in sci fi, as if "Oh it's ok if we make a mistake and piss everyone off. No one dies in sci fi! We could always fix this!"

ToasterOnFire, I agree that right now SGA is suffering in the shadow of SG-1 now but it didn't used to. How awesome was season 1? I've said it before... that contact with Earth is the point when this show started going bad.

I was never really a big fan of SG-1. I was for a brief moment but I was crazy about SGA. It was a separate show and now it's not. Shouldn't it be the opposite? Like a child who starts off dependent and grows up to be independent? My guess is TPTB really wanted Atlantis to succeed and after it did, they went ahead and made whatever they wanted it to be.

No fan tells fellow fan to go watch Lost or Heroes live for ratings. Those shows are made of awesome because TPTB know what they're doing. I don't think they even do that for BSG but the BSG rating drop can be blamed on the disapperance of SciFi Friday. SG-1 and SGA's can too but I don't see that much hatred towards BSG.

The only SG-1 cross over I could have handled is Daniel going to Atlantis. Never Carter.

Comment

Well, Skiffy could always cancel SGA and give BSG that fifth season, eh? I wouldn't complain. Better writing. No SG-1 relics.
                            But BSG probably already has a 5th season! Skiffy wants to take their 20 episode season 4 and show 10 episodes in 2008 and 10 episodes in 2009. Genius!

As for renewing SGA, Skiffy doesn't "own" the show - its the same problem with SG1 being too expensive to produce. The profits for Skiffy just weren't there and they wanted to switch to their own original programming. Now we have the wonders of Trash Gordon, Painful-to-Watch Jane, and Who Wants 2B a Super-Dooper-Pooper Hero. As bad as these shows are, they make more dough for Skiffy than SG1 or SGA ever will.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Erised View Post
                              ...but the BSG rating drop can be blamed on the disapperance of SciFi Friday.
                              Skiffy could still be airing SGA and BSG on Fridays, but Skiffy is Skiffy.

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                              But BSG probably already has a 5th season! Skiffy wants to take their 20 episode season 4 and show 10 episodes in 2008 and 10 episodes in 2009. Genius!
                              That's true! Forgot about that. Caprica? Farscape?
                              sigpic

Comment

That's true! Forgot about that. Caprica? Farscape?
                                Caprica is still sitting on the "development" shelf at Skiffy. Either its too expensive, or the producers are refusing to have their leading ladies fighting in leather thongs.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                                X