Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
    I am not entirely anti-season 4 person. I love Atlantis and want to see it continue but something in JM´s blog pissed me...again. You mentioned it....
    Spoiler:
    The Seer is Carter episode
    . No,no, no. Why? Why does she have her own episode? She had 10, literally TEN years in SG1. She doesn´t need to have one more episode in SGA where are many other characters who didn´t have even their own episode this year.
    I know, I can´t do anything about it. The worst thing I was afraid, happened. The authors made from Atlantis S11 of SG1 and sent the least needed person, little perfect Carter, there.
    They should focus at Teyla, Ronon, Sheppard, Rodney, Zelenka. Radek deserves his own episode, hell, he deserves to be in Credits more than perfect blonde.
    Geez, sorry if I insulted someone, but it had to get out.
    I suspect that they're doing this so as to prove to the fans why she should be there. With all the hue and cry, I think they're going to try and justify her placement and position in Atlantis.

People, I understand how you feel... I don't think Carter at the helm is going to be any better than Weir at the helm.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

If they keep this trend up of altering a main cast before they even have a chance to grow, then I highly doubt there will be a third show to screw up.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        If they keep this trend up of altering a main cast before they even have a chance to grow, then I highly doubt there will be a third show to screw up.
        I can't see them not making a third show.. i can however see them screwing it up
        Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
        ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
        Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
          People, I understand how you feel... I don't think Carter at the helm is going to be any better than Weir at the helm.
          This is my concern as well. I've seen a lot of people posting about how things are going to be better now with all these character changes. For example, now that Carter's here maybe they'll finally develop a strong female/female friendship between Carter and Teyla that they didn't really do with Teyla and Weir. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more interaction among the women instead of them acting as a sounding board for Shep, McKay, and Ronon. But if TPTB didn't do x, y, and z in the past, why should we assume that they're going to suddenly change and start writing in x, y, and z now? The characters may play musical chairs, but the writers are staying put and they're the ultimate say in who gets developed, who gets neglected, and who gets written poorly.

Comment

So I hear Carter is getting her own episode . . .ten years on SG1 wasn't enough? The more I read about season four, the more disgusted I become. I can't help but feel that SGA fans are being shoved aside to make way for the torrent of SG1 fans who will now be watching (rolls eyes). And we're just supposed to suck it up because its a done deal. And if we were real fans, we would watch any way and how dare we not be happy Carter is coming . . . its SG1 Carter damn it! LOL.

Sorry I got carried away. I don't dislike Carter . . . up until news of the changes occurred, I had no reason to. But I know I will grow to resent the character if I see her in Weir's office, so I'd rather not watch. And regardless why or how she is coming, and whether it had any bearing on what happened to Weir (you know, which came first, the chicken or the egg)the bottom line is she will be there and Elizabeth will most like be going, going, gone.

Oh well, just another day at the office.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
              This is my concern as well. I've seen a lot of people posting about how things are going to be better now with all these character changes. For example, now that Carter's here maybe they'll finally develop a strong female/female friendship between Carter and Teyla that they didn't really do with Teyla and Weir. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more interaction among the women instead of them acting as a sounding board for Shep, McKay, and Ronon. But if TPTB didn't do x, y, and z in the past, why should we assume that they're going to suddenly change and start writing in x, y, and z now? The characters may play musical chairs, but the writers are staying put and they're the ultimate say in who gets developed, who gets neglected, and who gets written poorly.

Exactly. Why would fans think that Carter will have any different a relationship with Teyla than Weir did? And between butting heads with Shep and doing god knows what with McKay, when will she have the time to bond with anyone, let alone Teyla. TPTB seem incapable of writing women period. I think female bonding is just not their thing (and maybe we're lucky in that area, because I don't know if I want to see these particular PTB going there!)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                So I hear Carter is getting her own episode . . .ten years on SG1 wasn't enough? The more I read about season four, the more disgusted I become. I can't help but feel that SGA fans are being shoved aside to make way for the torrent of SG1 fans who will now be watching (rolls eyes). And we're just supposed to suck it up because its a done deal. And if we were real fans, we would watch any way and how dare we not be happy Carter is coming . . . its SG1 Carter damn it! LOL.

Sorry I got carried away. I don't dislike Carter . . . up until news of the changes occurred, I had no reason to. But I know I will grow to resent the character if I see her in Weir's office, so I'd rather not watch. And regardless why or how she is coming, and whether it had any bearing on what happened to Weir (you know, which came first, the chicken or the egg)the bottom line is she will be there and Elizabeth will most like be going, going, gone.

Oh well, just another day at the office.
                and weir going is a crime, torri is a good actress but they didn't give her anything to work with, i'm sick of actors being punished do the writers lack of imagination

Exactly. Why would fans think that Carter will have any different a relationship with Teyla than Weir did? And between butting heads with Shep and doing god knows what with McKay, when will she have the time to bond with anyone, let alone Teyla. TPTB seem incapable of writing women period. I think female bonding is just not their thing (and maybe we're lucky in that area, because I don't know if I want to see these particular PTB going there!)
                i loved the hints of teyla and weir friendship we were given.. why couldn;t that have been developed more... l mean woman chat, they develope friendships just like the other characters why not show it. Carter coming over is like hiting the restart button... and i suppose thats what they wanted, but i don't get why you would hit restart when you had barely begun with what you had. there is no point to it. really all this is done is create distrust among the Atlantis fans... over all it just doesn't make sense...

is sure has created a divide between the atlantis and sg1 communities

i am just at a loss as to why this would ever be thought a good idea

i got to admit though i would still watch atlantis if they has kept weir and carson, even if they brought sam over.. i would have been annoyed sure but its the whole idea of 'replacements' that really bugs me.

why fix something that ain't broke
                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."

Comment

Spoiler:
                  Carter will be in Adrift already

I think she will take "her" ship into the nearest...lamp (OK, so tower )

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    Carter will be in Adrift already

I think she will take "her" ship into the nearest...lamp (OK, so tower )

On lj someone has already written fic, where Rodney sucks Carter into a blackhole its made of awsome.
                    sigpic
                    banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
                      On lj someone has already written fic, where Rodney sucks Carter into a blackhole its made of awsome.
                      LOL
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                        i got to admit though i would still watch atlantis if they has kept weir and carson, even if they brought sam over.. i would have been annoyed sure but its the whole idea of 'replacements' that really bugs me.

ITA. I wouldn't be completely happy with Sam coming over and I would certainly be wary of how they integrated her with the cast, because I can see TPTB banging people over the head with her presence. But if Elizabeth and Carson were still part of the team (full time, none of this one or two, "maybe four, maybe more" episode nonsense), there's no question I'd still be enthused about watching. I'd just have to take my chances that they wouldn't totally screw it up.

But with Carson and Elizabeth gone, they've already screwed it up IMHO. Its gotten to the point where I enjoy posting about SGA more than I enjoy watching it and its still only season three. Never thought I get to this low point. LOL.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post

hehehe
                          awesome
                          Spoiler:

Comment

ITA. I wouldn't be completely happy with Sam coming over and I would certainly be wary of how they integrated her with the cast, because I can see TPTB banging people over the head with her presence. But if Elizabeth and Carson were still part of the team (full time, none of this one or two, "maybe four, maybe more" episode nonsense), there's no question I'd still be enthused about watching. I'd just have to take my chances that they wouldn't totally screw it up.

But with Carson and Elizabeth gone, they've already screwed it up IMHO. Its gotten to the point where I enjoy posting about SGA more than I enjoy watching it and its still only season three. Never thought I get to this low point. LOL.
                            Oh man! agree 100% agree agree agree.
                            to bad we couldn't vote on the black hole thing lol
                            Spoiler:

Comment

If the writers couldn't do a decent Weir-Teyla interaction in three years, why should they start getting their act together in season 4? I'm not totally against season 4 as I do like Shep's team, but dislike what they've done with Weir and Beckett, dont' care for Carter coming on board at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                I don't know why they didn't consider using Carter for the third series to help it make that transition. That makes much more sense to me. Like what they did with Jack and Daniel in Rising.
                                I'm becoming increasingly pessimistic about the show to the extent that I'm not sure if we'll see a season 5 for Atlantis, much less a third series.

It does surprise me that there is a strong sentiment that somehow Carter will be some kind of panacea to all of Atlantis' (we don't know what to do with the females) ills. Apart from Carl Binder, I don't think any of the writers do females particularly well on Stargate. I have always been completely indifferent to her character in SG-1. She was the science officer, and she functioned adequately in that role but I just didn't warm up to her particularly. I've had 8 years to do so but it has never quite happened for me.

With Weir... even though I didn't relate much to her character initially... after Before I Sleep and Letters from Pegasus (Carl Binder specials) she became rather more human. Obviously they could have done a lot more with her and Teyla but they didn't. Frankly speaking, I think Teyla is a bigger problem (in terms of writing) than Weir. She's supposed to be part of Sheppard's team and most of the time, she stands around decoratively, occasionally acting as a sounding board. They haven't taken her anywhere at all. In most scifi shows, it's the aliens I find most interesting but in Atlantis... not so much...

They have had 3 years to do something really special with both these women... but they haven't. I can't see how replacing one female with another is going to help much artistically.

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
                                and weir going is a crime, torri is a good actress but they didn't give her anything to work with, i'm sick of actors being punished do the writers lack of imagination

i loved the hints of teyla and weir friendship we were given.. why couldn;t that have been developed more... l mean woman chat, they develope friendships just like the other characters why not show it. Carter coming over is like hiting the restart button... and i suppose thats what they wanted, but i don't get why you would hit restart when you had barely begun with what you had. there is no point to it. really all this is done is create distrust among the Atlantis fans... over all it just doesn't make sense...

is sure has created a divide between the atlantis and sg1 communities

i am just at a loss as to why this would ever be thought a good idea

From their point of view, it is probably easier to replace a reasonably popular character with an extremely popular character rather than to work on the original character that they themselves created.
                                My thinking is imagine if they just tried a little bit harder with the reasonably popular character to make her into something special... you'd keep that fanbase happy and maybe even increase it. If they have to bring in Carter to drum up business for Atlantis, so be it. At least we'll have a win-win situation..
                                sigpic
                                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                                X