Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
    Misgivings? It's a misgiving for you that the thing you're so very happy about - More Carter, Less Weir - is not enough of enough? sorry but that doesn't wash. Might as well post a complaint in here because there will only be 20 episodes, not 26. That would not be On Topic either; I hope you can see why.

This is not "the complaint thread for any and every quibble about s4." This is "The Anti S4 Thread For complaints and misgivings ONLY." Expressing a niggle about the show is not enough to make your post automatically on-topic in this thread.
    Madeleine_W and I noticed you chose to exclude a good portion of my statement within that quote:

Originally posted by Vaberella
    None of the anti-statements I've said on this thread are not statements I haven't mentioned in the past. I have already posted in the anti thread already a while back in regards to Jill Wagner's rather lascivious comments to John in Traveler's and my own issues there. I'm sure other's have heard my statements on Weir before, and although I love Beckett---I'm not too keen on dead men walking again. Let me not even start on my problems with Harmony which happened when I found out Katie and McKay would break up when I don't even already like Katie/McKay.

I'm trying to see how my statement was in any way "thinly veiled" as being anti-S4"". I may not be outright I hate all things in S4 but I do have "complaints and misgivings" which I've clearly mentioned in my posts when they've come up in other threads. But of course I find them to be more comfortable here...and this was something I said very clearly in the earlier post on Travelers.
    What then is a "niggle"? I didn't get this much attention when I made two posts about Traveler's. Nor do people seem to care too much about my statement in regards to McKay, but it is a problem when I mentioned Weir. Although I'm fully aware when I mention her a congretional hearing is called. If my statements are then a "niggle", that would mean they have no importance and are not complaints right?! So I need a definition to be fully aware. Because I don't stand on a roof top saying "this season sucks, I won't watch" or "I hate all the eps, all of them are boring"---then they have no purpose is the impression you're giving me. I have my misgivings and a few complaints. I stress the word few, but they are there and I have not been shy in expressing those views.

You can choose to give me the full rules in details on here or you can choose to pm me the rules in detail as to which direction the thread is supposed to go. Because obviously most of my statements are off topic since as you said...they're just "niggles" and really not complaints or misgivings. Or maybe just tell don't mention Weir, since that just causes all types of problems; I've come to realize that the only time there is a problem is when I mention the name.

Personal Note: This is why such things from what I've been told, should be kept to pm and not be brought on the board as it changes the direction of the thread and it's purpose (if there is one).
    Last edited by vaberella; 17 September 2007, 04:43 AM. Reason: just to add in a note...
    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
      I didn't get this much attention when I made two posts about Traveler's. Nor do people seem to care too much about my statement in regards to McKay,
      There's a reason: your posts about travellers and about Rodney were acceptable and on-topic.

but it is a problem when I mentioned Weir.
      Because that's where you left the spirit of this thread behind. You're basically saying that you want as little Weir as possible, right? In which case, how can you be 'anti' s4 for being the first season for actually going in that direction? Like I said, it's like complaining that there are only 20 eps and not 26. Not in the spirit of the thread's title.

Look, I get that you dislike her, but given that s4 is going to be the first season to (largely) save you from her unwelcome presence, please don't try to argue that one can be 'anti' s4 because of the small number of eps in which she'll be.

We're not saying that there's a minimum level of anti-ness for someone to post here, as you must know from the fact that no one ripped into you for posting your grievances about Travellers. We're just saying that announcing that an aspect of the season that you greatly like will not be given as much impact as you'd ideally want, is not anti.

I'm posting in public because you're not the only one in this position, and I want it to be clear that this thread does not exclued people, whatever their known 'allegiances', so you're welcome to play here, and if anyone thinks otherwise I hope they read this and take it in. This thread does, however, exclude pro-s4 views, and "I want more of the new s4 direction" is pretty much a pro-s4 view. Best leave that side of your opinions for another thread, because posting pro- stuff in an anti- thread never leads to anything good.

If you want to discuss the matter further, I can be PM'd.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
        Here we go Suz.

I just felt like seeing that again. And yes, I'm going to say it:

Anti's rule
        Anti's rock
        Anyone else
        Can eat my sock(s)

MORE WEIR!!!

LESS CARTER!!

WHOO!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia View Post
          borgprincess-- that is exactly one of the big things about TPTB's bringing Carter over that bugs me. The idea that they're going to discard all his character development to turn him into the fishwife he behaves around her in SG-1. I grew to like Rodney, and I wouldn't want to see them do that to him.
          Fishwife
          sig made by me

Comment

The writers can't change McKay. He is always right and every expedition member have to suffer from his ego. He can shout to anyone in every scene, because he is a genius? Bah... I hope they will make bigger character development for him, because DH is a fantastic actor, but his character became more and more irritating for me.

And please, don't remake complete SG-1 dialogues in Atlantis. I think the writers would like to reflect to earlier episodes, but this isn't the best way.
            Last edited by Platschu; 17 September 2007, 09:55 AM.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I am pretty ambivalent about season four because I just started watching Atlantis, but I was kind of sadden to read David Nykl's blog and find out that he didn't film very much Stargate at all over the summer. One of my fears of Sam coming over was that the Rodney and Zelenka bantering would disappear and it looks like it might.

I don't really like feeling this way, really. When I started watching the show, Shep, Ford, Carson, Weir, and Zelenka were my favorites. One by one, everyone I watched the show for has disappeared! I know it's an ensemble show, but there comes a point when my interest will disappear along with the people I liked to watch.

And I know that everyone tells me to give the show a chance, watch it so there could be another season or a third series. I keep trying to think positive, like maybe Teyla will interest me more if they give her something more meaty to work with than sounding like Deana Troi all the time now. And maybe Jewel will bring something I haven't seen. (Though I have yet to see much of an ad or article about her on the show on sci-fi. What's up with that?)

But really? I have lost much of my hope about the show. I really really really hate the replicator storyline. So what is left for me to enjoy?
              sigpic
              sig by kidwizz

Comment

Originally posted by partly cloudy skies View Post
                But really? I have lost much of my hope about the show. I really really really hate the replicator storyline. So what is left for me to enjoy?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                  It should be alot of fun for viewers to spend the season watching Carter and McKay in some kind of tortured pas de deux. Especially if everybody else just gets to stand around and gawk. LOL.

But you know TPTB just won't be able to fight it. They can't resist doing the Abbot and Costello routine with McShep. How can they resist doing an intergalactic version of Romeo and Juliet starring McCarter.

I think they already did Romeo and Juliet thing...
                  I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                    I think they already did Romeo and Juliet thing...
                    Ah, but this time they have a balcony too... Can you see it happening, Carter standing in the contro area and Rodney downstairs?

Blah...bad visual!
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I am pretty ambivalent about season four because I just started watching Atlantis, but I was kind of sadden to read David Nykl's blog and find out that he didn't film very much Stargate at all over the summer. One of my fears of Sam coming over was that the Rodney and Zelenka bantering would disappear and it looks like it might.
                      David Nykl was in about 7 episodes in Season 1, 10 in Season 2 and 12 in Season 3. I love the character of Zelenka but we have to acknowledge that he is a recurring character and will not be in all the eps. I know David has said in his blog that he hasn't been involved in filming the last 6 episodes... but don't forget the eps are filmed out of order so it may just be that 6 in which he is not involved came up at once in the production order. That still leaves up to 14 episodes that he may be involved in and, from spoilers, Zelenka has plenty to do this season with a heavy presence in eps such as Doppelganger, Tabula Rasa and Quarantine.

So don't write Zelenka off just yet!
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't really like feeling this way, really. When I started watching the show, Shep, Ford, Carson, Weir, and Zelenka were my favorites. One by one, everyone I watched the show for has disappeared! I know it's an ensemble show, but there comes a point when my interest will disappear along with the people I liked to watch.

And I know that everyone tells me to give the show a chance, watch it so there could be another season or a third series. I keep trying to think positive, like maybe Teyla will interest me more if they give her something more meaty to work with than sounding like Deana Troi all the time now. And maybe Jewel will bring something I haven't seen. (Though I have yet to see much of an ad or article about her on the show on sci-fi. What's up with that?)

You've basically captured my pov. TPTB keep writing out the characters that I adore and watch the show for, and it's at the point where I'm afraid to become devoted to anyone out of the fear that they'll be the next to go. I know that some people appreciate a show that keeps them on their toes and is unpredictable and all, but it makes it hard for me to form an attachment to anyone because it just pains me when they are forced to leave. The only characters I care about are Shep and Zelenka at this point. I know he's only a recurring, but:
                        Spoiler:
                        I would much prefer to see him than this new alien babe that's been introduced to sex up the show.

And I agree with you about Teyla- that Deanna comparison is so awesomely accurate, I can't believe I haven't thought of it before. Right down to the:
                        T/D:'I sense something...'
                        Other member of team: 'What is it?'
                        T/D:'I don't know, it's not very clear...but there's *something* wrong...'
                        annoying exchanges.

She strikes me as rather bland, and while I want to like her, the way they've been writing her so far is cute alien chick with gun goes to other planets and shoots stuff. Not much Rachel can do with that. Zelenka has more personality in the few eps he's been in, with much less screen time. If there's anything the writers need to work on, it's doing more character development with the ones they have left because with what I've seen so far, I am underwhelmed. Ronon is pretty much ignored, poor puppy.
                        'I am frightened that the flame of hate will burn me
                        will scorch my pride, scar my heart
                        It will burn and I cannot put it out...'

Sig by Falcon Horus- thank you!

my LJ of squee *myspace of angst * my fic of random

My OTP forever, by Stef, who is awesome:
                        Spoiler:

Thanks, Stef!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Ah, but this time they have a balcony too... Can you see it happening, Carter standing in the contro area and Rodney downstairs?

Blah...bad visual!
                          I can see it now:

CARTER (standing at the balcony, staring out to the distant horizon)
                          O Rodney, Rodney! wherefore art thou Rodney?
                          Deny that you are smarter than me and and bow to my
                          wonderfulness at every turn;
                          Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
                          And I'll no longer be called a Mary Sue.

RODNEY (lurking on the lower level within earshot, looking for a doughnut)
                          [Aside] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?

(Speaks loudly, scaring the crap out of poor Carter)

I take thee at thy word, fair Samantha:
                          Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized;
                          Henceforth I never will be Rodney.
                          I will be named the very dirt beneath your feet.

And they lived happily ever after.

The End.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by borgprincess View Post
                            You've basically captured my pov. TPTB keep writing out the characters that I adore and watch the show for, and it's at the point where I'm afraid to become devoted to anyone out of the fear that they'll be the next to go. I know that some people appreciate a show that keeps them on their toes and is unpredictable and all, but it makes it hard for me to form an attachment to anyone because it just pains me when they are forced to leave. The only characters I care about are Shep and Zelenka at this point. I know he's only a recurring, but:
                            Spoiler:
                            I would much prefer to see him than this new alien babe that's been introduced to sex up the show.
                            I am so in agreement with you on this. I'm one of those viewers that tends to connect with the characters. I don't care how good the action is, if I don't care about the characters, everything else is meaningless.

Admittedly, I came to watch SGA initially because of JF and my favorite character was Shep. But over time, both Weir and Carson joined him on the favorite list. I can't imagine the show without either one of them. In fact, regardless of how I feel about any of the characters (and I do like some more than others), I can't imagine SGA without any one of them. Often, if the story was less than riveting, its the characters that kept me tuned in.
                            sigpic

Comment

I am so in agreement with you on this. I'm one of those viewers that tends to connect with the characters. I don't care how good the action is, if I don't care about the characters, everything else is meaningless.

Admittedly, I came to watch SGA initially because of JF and my favorite character was Shep. But over time, both Weir and Carson joined him on the favorite list. I can't imagine the show without either one of them. In fact, regardless of how I feel about any of the characters (and I do like some more than others), I can't imagine SGA without any one of them. Often, if the story was less than riveting, its the characters that kept me tuned in.
                              I'm glad there's someone like me here. People are all 'but the plot SUCKED' for some of my favorite eps, and I just think that it was all worth it because my fave actor/character featured heavily in it. The plot comes second with me, I watch for banter and character interaction and bonding, etc. etc. Okay, I have a great deal of fun nitpicking lame plot developments too, but I'm fine with that, it's enjoyable tearing the script to pieces, as long as the characters are being treated well. Sometimes shows survive entirely on fans loving the characters, as opposed to the plots. The only reason I started on SGA was because I was having SG-1 withdrawal symptoms, then I grew to enjoy SGA more than the last two seasons of SG-1 anyway! I'm going to give s4 a chance, but with the thought of all those eps with these drastic changes to their structure just makes my heart heavy. There's just too many bombshells being dropped at the same time.

Spoiler:

Thanks, Stef!

Comment

I can see it now:

CARTER (standing at the balcony, staring out to the distant horizon)
                                O Rodney, Rodney! wherefore art thou Rodney?
                                Deny that you are smarter than me and and bow to my
                                wonderfulness at every turn;
                                Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
                                And I'll no longer be called a Mary Sue.

RODNEY (lurking on the lower level within earshot, looking for a doughnut)
                                [Aside] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?

(Speaks loudly, scaring the crap out of poor Carter)

I take thee at thy word, fair Samantha:
                                Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized;
                                Henceforth I never will be Rodney.
                                I will be named the very dirt beneath your feet.

And they lived happily ever after.

The End.
                                *sputters* How did I miss this the first time around? Good thing I usually check all the threads before I log out, because that is hysterical. Too bad I didn't know you when I had to do poetry in high school, because you are so good at it!

'Dirt beneath my feet'- so in tune with my fears. Please, writers, don't make McKay cringeworthy again. He has grown so much, I like the moments of fleeting vulnerability and sensitivity he displays to the other characters, don't ruin all that...

Spoiler:

Thanks, Stef!

Comment

Working...
                                X