Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flowerbud View Post
    I detect a strong whiff of desperation with these recent cast decisions. I wonder if it related to the fact that SGA has gotten poor ratings when SciFi ran the reruns and now the producers and Sci-Fi executives have no confidence in the show and hence all the changes.

The problem is the producers/writers themselves, not the actors who unfortunately have lost their jobs because the writers are incredibly incompetent. The cast changes and changing the show set-up (militarization, team-based) are a reflection of the inability of the producers/writers to create an ensemble show and write more complex stories focusing on intricate politics and ideologies. There was so much potential with the concept of Atlantis.

Sadly, the writers are creatively bankrupt and are only able to write the same predictable thing over and over again. The frat boy humor, the limited and inconsistent characterizations, illogical plots, recycling stories from SG-1, the lack of thematic arcs within a season and between seasons make this show really tedious.

It really bothers me at the way women in authority are treated on this show. Elizabeth Weir is there to be torn down and humiliated. Teyla is generally dressed in scanty clothes and kept in the background. These guys are pathetic when to comes to women. It's clearly a boys own show with the constant focus on McKay and Sheppard. They can't imagine a world where men and women can work together and be equal players in a story. They ought to watch something like Law&Order SVU.

Times are changing and dramatic television is becoming more sophisticated and the audiences are expect quality writing. The producers are stuck in a time warp.

I wonder if I should write a letter to SciFi with these complaints. It would be better for them to bet their money on a new set of producers.
    Yes, yes yes. You should send this post as a letter to everyone on the list. You'll find a good one at the SEW thread.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerbud View Post

It really bothers me at the way women in authority are treated on this show. Elizabeth Weir is there to be torn down and humiliated. Teyla is generally dressed in scanty clothes and kept in the background. These guys are pathetic when to comes to women. It's clearly a boys own show with the constant focus on McKay and Sheppard. They can't imagine a world where men and women can work together and be equal players in a story. They ought to watch something like Law&Order SVU.
      hit it on the head there... and I had such hopes for Elizabeth's character, she wasn't a woman trying to be a man in a man's role, she was Elizabeth and all that entailed, woman and leader etc. as for Teyla, I dont know how many times I have griped about Teyla's two dimensional roll.

I wonder if I should write a letter to SciFi with these complaints. It would be better for them to bet their money on a new set of producers.
      If you go over to the save Elizabeth Weir thread they can hook you up with all the email address' and all the mail address' you will ever need to send of your thoughts.

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
      You can add few female writers to that new package - instead of changig cast and ditching one wonderfull actress and her amazing character, maybe a change among those big heads could do the show some good.

Yeah it's a boys show, well no wonder there - this is still man's world and it seems taht military (and militarization) is something that's easier and more fun for them to do. I don't think it will be more fun to watch. I'll skip it, thank you but no thank you. No S4 for me.
      Boy show... bleck.

I mean, dont get me wrong, I have nothing against the whole scantily clad thing as long as its shared equally.

But seriously... I hate how they write women, wait, I think I have complained and belly ached about this before, but it drives me mad. Carter as a man, Teyla two dimensional and Elizabeth so all over the place I feel the need to write fanfic just to justify or explain her personality.

Which is fun, but shouldnt be my job as a fan... here's a brilliant thought, they should hire me!
      sigpic
      thanks Erised for the sig!

Comment

And me too! (altough I can write Shep better than Liz. Hmmm) It always bothered me that carter was written as one of the boys, a woman stuck in a man's role so deeply disconnected from her feminine emotions, serving mostly as deus ex machina. But at least she was fully dressed. And Teyla... so many possibilities there, but never fully used.
        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

it will be interesting to see how they deal with the pregnancy... though from all appearances it seems in the same general callous manner... but we can always hope.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm beyond caring how they'll pull that out. I guess the pregnancy will be part of some super - cool - dark plot aimed to "enhance" the season.

Comment

ugh... i wanted a human story there, something that gave teyla depth, hell, even if it was pregnancy because of a relationship with an unknown athosian... but no, it has to be some creepy thing that michael did to her... or, so i've heard
              sigpic

Comment

Hi Guys

as a lowly UK resident i havent been able to view the comic con footage as yet (crosses fingers for youtube) but I have read a few transcripts, although i dont know how complete they are.

what im trying to figure out is why i cant find any q's that link directly to the cast changes and/or fans doubts about season 4?

i would have thought that with a large mixed audience some one would have asked a more direct question, not rude of course as i dont think (hope) that any fan would, but the q's ive read were a bit blarr you know theres no, i dont know how to phrase it urrr meaty questions?

its as if eveyone attending was alreay an online reader and new all the spoilers already, surely that isnt the case?

still as yet havent seen a single spoiler that makes me confident in the changes due for season 4, that is depressing

has the anti couch got a massage chair in it for my much needed use with a nice hot chocolate and hot chilli heatwave doritos?
                sigpic
                banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
                  Hi Guys

as a lowly UK resident i havent been able to view the comic con footage as yet (crosses fingers for youtube) but I have read a few transcripts, although i dont know how complete they are.

what im trying to figure out is why i cant find any q's that link directly to the cast changes and/or fans doubts about season 4?

i would have thought that with a large mixed audience some one would have asked a more direct question, not rude of course as i dont think (hope) that any fan would, but the q's ive read were a bit blarr you know theres no, i dont know how to phrase it urrr meaty questions?

its as if eveyone attending was alreay an online reader and new all the spoilers already, surely that isnt the case?

still as yet havent seen a single spoiler that makes me confident in the changes due for season 4, that is depressing

has the anti couch got a massage chair in it for my much needed use with a nice hot chocolate and hot chilli heatwave doritos?
                  I'm sure there is a massage chair around somewhere, or we could take turns giving each other neck rubs.

I heard that the questions for the panel were screened beforehand. After watching the video, it sure seems that way. Favorite episodes? Action figures? Parenting advice? WTF? Was it just me or did they seem a bit hesitant at times also? It just didn't have that freewheeling fun spirit of last year's. And the AT/DH show was a bit much. Just IMHO, of course.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    I'm sure there is a massage chair around somewhere, or we could take turns giving each other neck rubs.

I heard that the questions for the panel were screened beforehand. After watching the video, it sure seems that way. Favorite episodes? Action figures? Parenting advice? WTF? Was it just me or did they seem a bit hesitant at times also? It just didn't have that freewheeling fun spirit of last year's. And the AT/DH show was a bit much. Just IMHO, of course.
                    thats taking the fun out of it, isnt it.

at peg 2 last year all qs were spontanious, you got some weird qs but also some gems

I wonder if all comic con convs are screened that way...

as for the dh/at show havent seen it yet so i cant comment. although it does worry me for peg 3 next year. booked it in feb. im so screwed (not in the good way) if theres only 1 original cast member there
                    sigpic
                    banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

*facepalm*

Okay, I'm oficcially living under the rock in some God forsaken part of the milky way!! WTF?!? This is just too much! If they are screening questions from con audience they must be desperate to get coug *theri* cough message through, and not what fans want to know.

OMG, this is even better than "watch our show, help our ratings".

*bursts into laughter*

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
                        thats taking the fun out of it, isnt it.

at peg 2 last year all qs were spontanious, you got some weird qs but also some gems

I wonder if all comic con convs are screened that way...

as for the dh/at show havent seen it yet so i cant comment. although it does worry me for peg 3 next year. booked it in feb. im so screwed (not in the good way) if theres only 1 original cast member there
                        In every other con report I've read from past cons, it has been just as you said. Plenty of questions of all kinds. I hope you get to see it, it just seems scripted. Except for JF. I remember him saying in an interview once, "I will not be censored". It seems like he still feels that way.
                        sigpic

Comment

In every other con report I've read from past cons, it has been just as you said. Plenty of questions of all kinds. I hope you get to see it, it just seems scripted. Except for JF. I remember him saying in an interview once, "I will not be censored". It seems like he still feels that way.
                          Makes me respect him. I also remember that "this sounds like funeral" comment. Pretty much the boldest thing that was said about this whole mixup. Thumbs up, JF.

Comment

It'd be nice to get some proof that the questions were screened before we start accusing people.

I'm just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              It'd be nice to get some proof that the questions were screened before we start accusing people.

I'm just saying...
                              oh, but what is the fun in that?
                              sigpic

Comment

Are we on court of law or what?

Comment

Working...
                                X