Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Anti Season 4 Thread (Spoilers). For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
    Okay?
    I haven't been around here for a full two seasons yet...is it abnormal for them to do this? If they are trying to archive the anti 4 thread, then no, that is not ok in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
      I haven't been around here for a full two seasons yet...is it abnormal for them to do this? If they are trying to archive the anti 4 thread, then no, that is not ok in my book.
      Don't shoot Mariel . I have no idea. I am fairly new .

Comment

Don't shoot Mariel . I have no idea. I am fairly new .
        I'm not shooting, just wondering about Reefgirl's observations of the vanishing threads. And you're older than I am--on GW.

Comment

I just thought of S4. And then following lyrics came to my mind:
          "The tears are welling in my eyes again
          I need 20 big buckets to catch them in
          20 pretty girls to carry them down
          20 deep holes to bury them in..."

S4 sucks. And don't archive the threat. S4 will suck until all eternity.

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

i miss good atlantis
            Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
            ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
            Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy View Post
              i miss good atlantis
              I think we all do... Have you read my 'Gender (im)balance in SGA'? In case you haven't:

Spoiler:
              Gender (im)balance in Stargate Atlantis

What is gender (im)balance?

It’s the (im)balance between the female and male genders, in a show, in a group, in a country.

From Joe Mallozzi’s blog (SGA executive producer & writer):
              Over the hiatus, I pitched out the idea of introducing an all-female team as a means of addressing the male-female imbalance on the show. I would introduce them in an early script and whoever survived the episode could potentially be brought back as a recurring character.
              Introducing an all-female team as a means to addressing the male-female imbalance… O.o

What. The. Frell?!?

Are you ****ing kidding me?
              (Michael the Lycan said before Selene made him jump out the window – ref. Underworld)

Yes, mr. Mallozzi thinks an all-female team will solve the imbalance of genders currently plaguing the Lantean cast.

They had Elizabeth Weir (Torri Higginson), but decided she had to go and that Carter (Amanda Tapping) was a far better fit for the suddenly needed-to-be-militarized Atlantis. Of course, writing a ten year old character is far easier than working on a character that’s only three years old and still needs to be given time for character development and evolution.
              They had Teyla Emmagan (Rachel Luttrell), yes had, because they have neglected this proud leader of the Athosians so badly they have pushed her in the background and made her an honorary piece of the décor. She is but a shadow of her former self.
              They had great female secondary and recurring characters, such as Kate Heightmeyer (Claire Rankin), Katie Brown (Brenda James), Laura Cadman (Jaime Ray Newman), Perna (Allison Hossack), Sora (Erin Chambers), Miko Kusanagi (Manami Hara), Lindsey Novak (Ellie Harvie), Simpson (Fiona Hogan), Allina (Jana Mitsoula), … and many more throughout the first three seasons. All of them disappeared either into oblivion, were just forgotten or killed for the sake of “realism”.

Potentially strong female characters, all discarded in favor of the bimbo of the week.

There was no gender imbalance. The only imbalance one could notice was the slow take over in the writing which was ever so slightly centering around one or two characters, namely John Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) and Rodney McKay (David Hewlett).

Imbalance is created when one starts to ignore or have characters disappear, usually in favor of a storyline or more favorable characters who are usually easier to write for in the minds of the powers that be. Due to some unfortunate changes in the cast line up, the gender imbalance swept across the city of Atlantis faster than the storm from hell from which McKay saved the expedition in season 1 (110/111 – The Storm/The Eye).

To solve the issue of the imbalance, created by TPTB themselves, they decided to come up with an all-female team. How considerate of them. Unfortunately I do not see much of gender balance restored when the all-female team and other newly introduced characters such as Jennifer Keller (Jewel Staite) could be my younger sisters (and I am 27) who chose modeling as their preferred career. In order not to rouse too much suspicion, I guess, they introduce two older, more mature, ladies (Nicole de Boer and Christina Cox), no doubt these are not the ones that will survive whatever happens in the already written and filmed season 5 episode ‘Whispers’.

Stargate Atlantis has become the show of bimbo of the week, McKay will save the day, where is Teyla, Ronon grunts and Sheppard tags along. It has lost its family feel, the feel of togetherness it had in the early seasons. None of that was seen in season 4, glimpses maybe but nothing more. Instead we get forced team-moments and more forced touchy-feely moments between the old characters and the new ones.

The gender imbalance, I fear, is only the tip of the iceberg.

Two questions we cannot ignore though…

If TPTB aren’t capable of writing for women like they write for men, how will the all-female team solve their gender imbalance problem?

If they couldn’t get it right the first time, what makes them so confident they will get it right the second time?

Signed,
              Heightmeyer’s Lemming
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

wow great write up!

i did use to like rodney and shep stories but you made some excellent points
                well done
                Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Whipped an omelet .
                  A tried and trusted standby

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                  maybe we should ask the modss what's going on, I vote we send Integrabyte to ask

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                    I vote we send Integrabyte to ask

Yeah, let's send him .

Comment

Yeah, let's send him .
                      Well, what are you waiting for?

Comment

» Hate to break the conspiracy, but I think topics are disappearing due to the default topic cutoff date. I think you can edit it in your UCP. Lemme see...

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                          maybe we should ask the modss what's going on, I vote we send Integrabyte to ask
                          Vote seconded.

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                          » Hate to break the conspiracy, but I think topics are disappearing due to the default topic cutoff date. I think you can edit it in your UCP. Lemme see...
                          And I was all getting into the X-files conspiracy mood. Guess I'll have to see too.

Comment

I'll vote third . Anyone else?

Comment

Futurama's back!!!!
                              Stolen Kosovo
                              sigpic

Comment

Just spotted Torri Higginson in last nights ep of NCIS,and they left it open so her character could return

Comment

Working...
                                X