Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Dr. Weir Discussion Thread ( Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it had been Torri's decision I think she would have been quick to reassure her fans. The silence (except for the jeering ridicule of Joe Mallozzi) from the set makes me think it's more of an executive decision although you're right- no one knows for sure.

Comment

Don't know if this has been said or not [I didn't read all the posts. =P], but the first thing that went through my head when I read this was anger.

Then I cooled down and got to thinking.

Amanda Tapping is going to be in Season Four, right? What if she's taking over 'Lizabeth's job for some unknown reason.

-shrug- Just a thought.
      I love Sparky. =)

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
        Oh *insert diety* don't mention that...I could so see this turning into the Sam/McKay drama...and then I would switch the channel with a scathing letter to TPTB!

A lot of people seem to think it will be Sam/John/Rodney, I definitely see it all about Sam/Rodney which scares the daylights out of me, but let me stop presupposing on this, I'll give it a chance. *croses fingers, and tapping heels* Please let her be like Caldwell, please let her be like Caldwell, please let her be like Caldwell....
        See, I like Sam/Rodney (in SMALL doses) and would have no problem if they slowly move towards that being a 'ship, but I think Rodney is just now in a place where he could have a relationship of equals with her, and I still think he has some growing in his personal interactions to do before she'd be in a place where she'd want to reciprocate.

But yeah, I'd like to see Sam mix it up. She's in a unique positions as a military scientist to where she can both butt heads with and back up McKay and Sheppard. Plus it would be nice to see her and Teyla strike up a friendship like she and Janet (and Vala) have done in the past. If she gets stranded there or something, It'll be interesting how she'd interact with Weir as her superior.

There is just so much they can do that I'm a little excited to see what they do with her. I honestly don't think they will make her a part of the gate team.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
          True, but SG1 always had a smaller cast ensemble than Atlantis. With that many characters on Atlantis, it seems to me as if they are trying to include Weir and Beckett in the stories simply because they are main characters and they have to be there. Obviously they went wrong somewhere with Weir/Atlantis because she was meant to be the driving force behind the expedition. But unfortunately, due to the way they are telling their stories, she's become anything but.
          I suspect this would depend on your definition for "cast ensemble". The way I see it, the regular characters in SGA season 1 were the five leads, Zelenka and Grodin, perhaps Halling to some extant... not that very differnet than let us say, season 6 of SG1, with 5 leads, recurring Frasier, Walter, Bra'tac, Jacob and Daniel... and right now (... season 3/10) both shows stand on 6 regulars.
          I'm not sure if tehy're trying to do it. there were plenty of episodes they didn't - I'm pretty srue we dind't see Weir in all episodes, I know that's true fo Becket... and you know, Grace under Pressure comes to mind, with only 3 out of the regular 6 even appearing there. As I said - yup, there are times they're trying to push for presence...
          Look, if it were up to me I'd have cancelled the whole "Sheppard's Team" concept and turned this entirely to an Atlantis based show, which wuold have given plenty of room to Weir and Beckett. I agree that the current format of the show makes this a lot harder, and since I'm not likely to be listened to by the peopel in charge, it's a moot point. But even in the current format, I think there's plenty of place for all characters as was shown by plenty of episodes this year - to name a few:
          Spoiler:
          Return 1&2, Echoes, Tao of Rodney, I haven't seen Sunday yet but from pre-episode bits it sounded liek it's another one... not to mentino that I thought there was plenty of place in Progeny, in No Man's Land and Misbegotten, even McKay and Mrs Miller and Common Groudn, to some extant that have been character-centred episodes had a place for everyone.

Going by Season 2, since I haven't seen all of Season 3 yet, I can't really recall any episode where she played a significant part (Long Goodbye doesn't really count, since it wasn't actually Weir for most part of that episode). Yet I can recall numerous times where she (and Beckett) were off-world gallivanting around with Shep and the team. Why do the Leader of the Base (an important person, someone who can't be risked) and the CMO/Chief Surgeon (again, an important/valuable person to Atlantis) go off into a time dilation field on a rescue mission?
          It could be my own personal problems, but I try not to bring season 2 as an example for anyting. Season 2 wasd bad on so many places, and character-place is jsut one of them... I have no probklem admitting I've only watched season 2 out of my love for Rodney, hoping it wouldg et better and the occasional SG1 cross over. I'm taking season 3 as an example ebcause this is a season so many of these problems have been solved, IMO. I think they [i]have[i/] found a place for weir in this season, withuot having to stretch how belivable it all is...
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I have great trust in the writers of Atlantis, season 3 has been spectacular and if Torri Higginson wants to go recurring then fine by me, i can only hope the writers pay attention to the pain Elizabeth felt in The Return when she had to leave Atlantis and keep her character around. Booted off to Earth would be awful.

Also 'recurring' better mean at least 14/16 episodes!

So episodes where she's just saying 'Colonel, You have a go' ok we can do without her.
            Weir is a delightful part of Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTrinityTiger View Post
              I have great trust in the writers of Atlantis, season 3 has been spectacular and if Torri Higginson wants to go recurring then fine by me, i can only hope the writers pay attention to the pain Elizabeth felt in The Return when she had to leave Atlantis and keep her character around. Booted off to Earth would be awful.

Also 'recurring' better mean at least 14/16 episodes!

So episodes where she's just saying 'Colonel, You have a go' ok we can do without her.
              Weir is a delightful part of Atlantis.
              There's been no indication that it was out of her own choice. She's got quite a good relationship with us and I'd imagine her coming out and telling us if it were out of her own free will that she's becoming recurring in season 4.

Comment

I would like to hear from her, but I guess she's embargoed right now.
                sigpic

Comment

I wish everyone would chill and take a breath and just try and see how this turns out. My argument has been confirmed on the main page about AT saying that she was obligsated to come on Atlantis so she is not replacing anyone. I am sure Weir will still be a part of SGA and even if not I am willing to see how this goes.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I can think of a couple senarios where Weir going to recurring is actually a good thing, so I think I'll wait and see.
                    Visit these links:
                    Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF --- Oxfam
                    ______________________________________________________________________________

In the democracy of the dead all men at last are equal.
                    There is neither rank nor station nor prerogative in the republic of the grave.
                    ~John James Ingalls

Geek Forever!!!!!!!

Comment

If they're booting her off -well thats just rude. I'd be mad.

Comment

The character of Weir is supposed to have a reduced role in season four of Atlantis, which has caused quite the commotion, but why this is happening was never really addressed.

Here's my question to everyone:

Could Ms. Higginson be pregnant?

Comment

We would know if she was. Either TPTB feel like she shouldn't have as big as a role, or TH herself feels like she shouldn't have as big a role.
                          Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                          encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                          3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                            We would know if she was. Either TPTB feel like she shouldn't have as big as a role, or TH herself feels like she shouldn't have as big a role.
                            We would?

I never realized our resources were that extensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Copernicus View Post
                              We would?

I never realized our resources were that extensive.
                              Thank you Copernicus. I don't think we would know if they didn't want us to know. This is not me agreeing to a rather outlandish rumor started in fandom. But I will say this...how can one be so sure we would know someone is pregnant if they don't tell us, especially in the first 5 months or so...

Absolutely ridiculous to think that we would have resources and be privy to that kind of information. I randomly heard about Joe F.'s latest child after the child was born. Did anyone else know 9 months previously to the news that his wife was giving birth? Doubtful.

If she told the writers, the writers have no right to divulge that sort of information--if they still want to be considered profesional and be taken seriously. Lastly, if I don't want my fans to know, I won't tell them. End of story. So it's quite plausible that something like that could be the case or she had better opportunities or she just wanted some personal time---whatever and we wouldn't know otherwise unless it came out of the horses mouth.
                              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

I doubt her not having a bigger role is because she's been knocked up. That didn't really stop Tapping because she just missed what, the first 6 or so episodes of season 9?

So if Tori was pregnant, they could easily cover the whole thing up for the biggest part by having her behind consoles and sitting down.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X