Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Dr. Weir Discussion Thread ( Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shonaille View Post
    I'm sorry but this beyond awful, I feel so awful for Torri
    Yeah, I hope she gets another project which appreciates her more.

Comment

Hmmm...

Last year I would have cheered the idea of Sam crossing over and Weir leaving, but with the exception of a couple of episodes, she's been much more enjoyable this year. There are times when I wondered how she could be this big shot negotiator and that I found her extremely arrogant, but they softened that later this season.

I still like that Sam is coming over, but I didn't realize she was getting so many episodes. Until now, anyway.

However, I don't think sweeping changes are a good idea. (Angel season five comes to mind. However, SGA isn't changing the formula, just half the cast). The addition of Ronon worked, but we had a chance to see and say goodbye to Ford and it wasn't a change of six actors (I'm counting the Tertiary characters too).

I've learned the hard way not to "trust" the show runners of any given show and I certaily don't expect them to cater to my specific needs, but this change is hitting so many people's peeves at once, that I am not sure if the show can survive what will surely be a hit to the ratings. I don't think the show runners are trying to sabatoge themselves. I feel they have realized and addressed some of the problems the show developed in Season two, and I was happy with the change.

So far, the characters they are replacing were the two I could grudgingly live without and if the story and character interaction is there, I'll continue to watch. But the story and the characterizations darn well better be excellent.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        Thank God someone has some common sense, green for you The Signal!

Personally I'm in favour of Weir leaving. I don't think she contributes anything positive to the show really apart from making mad decisions. Usually I'd blame it on the writing, but I really liked the character when she was played by the actress in Lost city so I'm not sure.

To me Weir was pretty tolerable in seasons 1 and 2 but this season she has really got under my skin, especially towards the begining of season 3. Some of her interactions with the IOA, Landry and especially Caldwell frankly, make her come across as a bit of a *****.

I wouldn't mind if she was kept on as recurring, but only if she was replaced as commander. She could always be in charge of MW/PG relations of something, I'm sure there is still a place for a diplomat, even in a place like Atlantis. I think she would be better off taking a Daniel sort of role in Atlantis rather than being the leader.

Another thing, am I the only one who finds the Campaign/Pro/Anti threads a little strange? They basically seem to be threads where freedom of speech has been discarded in favour of a place where only certain opinions are tolerated. Might just be me but it seems to really defeat the purpose of a forum.
        I completly agree with you on the campaign pro anti threads. i think they are pointless and just plain dumb. once the tptb make a decision it is usually almost completly set in place. also i cant seem to stand things like hate threads for characters, and also those shipper and thunker or whatever the hell threads that they are. i just dont see the point.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by theonebluegecko View Post
          I think that I am fine with a decision to scale back her role, it would make it fit the SG-1 pattern a bit more.
          It's Stargate: Atlantis, not StargateG1, which should make it about Atlantis (whereas SG1 was obviously about that team). The best episodes of SGA are those based in Atlantis, not the ones where the team are in the field, imo.

SGA is a spin-off; there's a difference between an evolution of a show and a replica of a show. Something you might not know by watching this franchise of late.

Comment

I too was shocked when I saw how many eps AT was going to be in, untill now we only thought a few now it's 3/4 of the season. Now I personally have no objections to SG-1 members on Atlantis never have. I think Daniel would have ben a better choice however if AT is eventually going to replace Weir I think that wioll be interesting. I have always wanted her to have a command and this would be great for not only Carter but AT as well. No disrespect to Tori as I love her and Weir to death but she hasnt been as good in season three meaning she has already been bumped to recurring IMO. I still think she does a great job and I have no hatred to Jewel, or Amanda or even TPTB with the exception of Carson. I believe the show is still good and will continue to be so. All I'm going to do is sit back, wait, and enjoy the show. If I hate it I'll say so then but so far the changes are fine with me.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I personally believe that it wont be Samantha Carter that AT will be playing, but it will be the whale Sam from Grace Under Pressure/Echoes.

Comment

Originally posted by knowsfords View Post
                I personally believe that it wont be Samantha Carter that AT will be playing, but it will be the whale Sam from Grace Under Pressure/Echoes.
                Uh that makes no logical sense unless you were joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  Uh that makes no logical sense unless you were joking.
                  Why does it not make sense?

Comment

Why does it not make sense?
                    Beecause how could she play a whale?

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                      It is awful. Someone with her ability shouldn't be cast aside like this. It's just insanity. Her character brings a human side to everything, along with Carson's. They're losing the heart of the series. It's just ... beyond stupid.
                      I agree on the Carson comment but we are not loosing Weir she is only now recurring.

Comment

I like Weir, more this season (with the exception of "The Real World", which I simply didn't enjoy because of the plot, not because it was Weir-centric) than in others. I'd like an explanation of what "recurring" is going to mean in this case. How many episodes, and how big a part in those episodes? And is she going to remain in command of Atlantis? Because if she loses command, I'll be mighty pissed.

And yet I'm still less upset about this than I am about Carter's 14 episodes. Of course, that may be because Carter bores the hell out of me, but that's another story.
                        They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                        Spoiler:
                        Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                          Beecause how could she play a whale?
                          ...because the device that translates whaleish (welsh ;p) into ancient also enables projection. When Sam appeared in GUP infront of mckay there's good chance it was actually the whale Sam impersonating Carter.

Comment

...because the device that translates whaleish (welsh ;p) into ancient also enables projection. When Sam appeared in GUP infront of mckay there's good chance it was actually the whale Sam impersonating Carter.
                            Except that Brad Wright has already told us
                            Spoiler:
                            that Sam shows up on a ship.

So, it's the real Carter. Unfortunately.
                            They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                            Spoiler:
                            Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by starfox View Post
                              Except that Brad Wright has already told us
                              Spoiler:
                              that Sam shows up on a ship.

So, it's the real Carter. Unfortunately.
                              But we all know how TPTB carefully choose thier words.

Comment

But we all know how TPTB carefully choose thier words.
                                Yeah but if your hoping it isnt the real Carter then I'm affraid you willbe disapointed. I on the other hand love Carter and embrace her on SGA.

Comment

Working...
                                X