Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Dr. Weir Discussion Thread ( Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
    But isn't it kind of time to stop with the inaccuracies? Carter coming has nothing to do with Weir leaving in the sense that she was leaving regardless...so feel upset about her leaving all you want but at least see how Carter fits before judging it.
    I'm sorry, and this is just my opinion, but I am not buying that TPTB did not know they were going to replace Weir with Carter. They can say whatever they want to say, but I'm not buying into it.

For whatever reason Weir is leaving - they knew they had to fill the spot with someone. Carter may not be the direct reason Weir is leaving, but I think they knew that once the decision was made, they were bringing Carter in. In fact, I think they knew they wanted Carter on the show all along.

Personally, I don't care how well Carter fits into Atlantis. I don't think she belongs there. This is nothing against AT or her fans. But Carter has had 10 years of development. I want the characters already on Atlantis to have development and advance their stories.

Even if it wasn't Carter who was coming over, I'd feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
      I'm sorry, and this is just my opinion, but I am not buying that TPTB did not know they were going to replace Weir with Carter. They can say whatever they want to say, but I'm not buying into it.

For whatever reason Weir is leaving - they knew they had to fill the spot with someone. Carter may not be the direct reason Weir is leaving, but I think they knew that once the decision was made, they were bringing Carter in. In fact, I think they knew they wanted Carter on the show all along.

Personally, I don't care how well Carter fits into Atlantis. I don't think she belongs there. This is nothing against AT or her fans. But Carter has had 10 years of development. I want the characters already on Atlantis to have development and advance their stories.

Even if it wasn't Carter who was coming over, I'd feel the same way.
      That's unfortunate. Because it is essentially impossible for Carter fans and Weir fans to find common ground if there's a bunch of you who essentially think that TPTB are lying.

Now there's no disputing that they've been suggesting that they wanted to move Carter to Atlantis. And I'd be happy to discuss the speculation about that topic with others here off the board if given the opportunity, because I understand where a lot of you are coming from in that regard.

However, while it appears that they've wanted Carter to be on SG-1 and Atlantis (for whatever twisted reason), there is no evidence that they wanted to cross Carter over as the leader (for that long). I just don't see it.

And I think it's entirely possible that they were looking at other candidates, because such a big change was evidently warranted, and they probably wanted to make sure that they were considering every possibility.

That's all I'll say on the subject, I suppose. Or at least that's all I know and/or am willing to speculate on a public forum.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
        It's a false comparison though. It's been stated many, many times...the choice was not between Carter and Weir it was be Carter and some-other-person. All evidence given in interviews and such point to this being the case.
        Nope, it's not, and about the choice not being between Carter and Weir, please tell Santa I want a PS 3 for Xmas. If there were really three options on the table (including AT), why won't TPTB name the other two actors/actresses? Heck, the way things are going, it's not like a big deal missing a gig at SGA anyway. I think the three options were: 1) blonde Carter with short hair; 2) blonde Carter with long hair; 3) brunette Carter (LOL this one might actually look good ). Personally, I still believe that when SG-1 was canceled Skiffy asked/ordered a major SG-1 crossover, and TPTB came up with this cr@p.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
          That's unfortunate. Because it is essentially impossible for Carter fans and Weir fans to find common ground if there's a bunch of you who essentially think that TPTB are lying.
          I disagree. I think there is plenty room for common ground. And the Sam/Weir fans discussion thread in the characters/relationship section proves we can get along. I am not "anti-Sam" in any way shape or form. I love the character. I just happen to think she doesn't belong on Atlantis. I respect other's opinions. I know Sam fans are happy she's crossing over and I don't begrudge them their happiness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
            Nope, it's not, and about the choice not being between Carter and Weir, please tell Santa I want a PS 3 for Xmas. If there were really three options on the table (including AT), why won't TPTB name the other two actors/actresses? Heck, the way things are going, it's not like a big deal missing a gig at SGA anyway. I think the three options were: 1) blonde Carter with short hair; 2) blonde Carter with long hair; 3) brunette Carter (LOL this one might actually look good ). Personally, I still believe when SG-1 was canceled Skiffy asked/ordered a major SG-1 crossover, and TPTB came up with this cr@p.
            Huh. Yeah, somehow I don't think it was that simple.

OK, here are my specs on who were the options:
            1.) Caldwell
            2.) Jackson
            3.) Carter
            and a fourth huge, "maybe"...
            4.) Mitchell

But my speculation is pointless, because we'll never know. And we don't really need to know, do we? All it'll do is satisfy our curiosity for this problem, but bring up a whole slew of new questions for people who would want to know why the other two actors weren't considered over Carter/AT. It is a matter of respect to those actors, and we don't need to know every single decision TPTB have made about the franchise and why.

I disagree. I think there is plenty room for common ground. And the Sam/Weir fans discussion thread in the characters/relationship section proves we can get along. I am not "anti-Sam" in any way shape or form. I love the character. I just happen to think she doesn't belong on Atlantis. I respect other's opinions. I know Sam fans are happy she's crossing over and I don't begrudge them their happiness.
            I understand what you're saying, but really all it's doing is perpetuating the either/or issue. For me, it's like it's tainting the fact that Carter/AT are coming on board, because it's suggesting that she is the reason that Weir/TH is leaving. Even if it's not placing blame on the actor/character, it's still placing her at the heart of the issue.

I don't blame you for not believing the whole story, but without knowing all of the details and all of the aspects of the issue, I don't understand how we can speculate about something that he's already taken the time to explain.

I guess, for me, it goes back to the issues with BB and CB coming over, since that's the most comparable situation. TPTB never said that they were looking for other actors to play those respective roles in S8's PU and throughout S9-S10. In fact, they confirmed just the opposite multiple times: That they'd been wanting BB and CB on Stargate for a couple of years, but were unable to settle on scheduling, because they were filming the miniseries - thus confirming the rather conspiracy-theory-esque notion that SciFi/Bridge wanted both Farscape actors on Stargate. Such confirmation has not been the case here.

And while I'm sure there are details that JM will always hold back from us, for no other reason than to keep us from talking about it, I don't think this is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
              Huh. Yeah, somehow I don't think it was that simple.

OK, here are my specs on who were the options:
              1.) Caldwell
              2.) Jackson
              3.) Carter
              and a fourth huge, "maybe"...
              4.) Mitchell

But my speculation is pointless, because we'll never know. And we don't really need to know, do we? All it'll do is satisfy our curiosity for this problem, but bring up a whole slew of new questions for people who would want to know why the other two actors weren't considered over Carter/AT. It is a matter of respect to those actors, and we don't need to know every single decision TPTB have made about the franchise and why.

I understand what you're saying, but really all it's doing is perpetuating the either/or issue. For me, it's like it's tainting the fact that Carter/AT are coming on board, because it's suggesting that she is the reason that Weir/TH is leaving. Even if it's not placing blame on the actor/character, it's still placing her at the heart of the issue.

I don't blame you for not believing the whole story, but without knowing all of the details and all of the aspects of the issue, I don't understand how we can speculate about something that he's already taken the time to explain.

I guess, for me, it goes back to the issues with BB and CB coming over, since that's the most comparable situation. TPTB never said that they were looking for other actors to play those respective roles in S8's PU and throughout S9-S10. In fact, they confirmed just the opposite multiple times: That they'd been wanting BB and CB on Stargate for a couple of years, but were unable to settle on scheduling, because they were filming the miniseries - thus confirming the rather conspiracy-theory-esque notion that SciFi/Bridge wanted both Farscape actors on Stargate. Such confirmation has not been the case here.

And while I'm sure there are details that JM will always hold back from us, for no other reason than to keep us from talking about it, I don't think this is one of them.
              I don't want to really say anything else (or state my opinion) if it might upset any Sam fans so I think I'm just going to end it here. All I can say is that we'll have to agree to disagree.

Comment

I don't want to really say anything else (or state my opinion) if it might upset any Sam fans so I think I'm just going to end it here. All I can say is that we'll have to agree to disagree.
                Nah, don't worry about it. It could just be me, Suz. I'm sensitive about certain issues, because of AT/Carter's history with other fans who've said that she's the reason why their favorite character was sidelined, or who blame her for their fave actor leaving. I feel like history is repeating itself, and that may color how I look at some things.

Comment

Originally posted by mcbarr View Post
                  Nope, it's not, and about the choice not being between Carter and Weir, please tell Santa I want a PS 3 for Xmas. If there were really three options on the table (including AT), why won't TPTB name the other two actors/actresses? Heck, the way things are going, it's not like a big deal missing a gig at SGA anyway. I think the three options were: 1) blonde Carter with short hair; 2) blonde Carter with long hair; 3) brunette Carter (LOL this one might actually look good ). Personally, I still believe that when SG-1 was canceled Skiffy asked/ordered a major SG-1 crossover, and TPTB came up with this cr@p.
                  JM has said already (twice) that he won't name the other 2 due to common courtesy; how would the other two actors feel if they found out that TPTB chose Amanda/Carter over them?

This "TPTB is lying!" crap has got to stop. What evidence do you have that they are lying? How would you feel if I called you a liar despite your assurances that you are not? Calling someone a liar with no evidence to back it up is libel in my books, and an insult to TPTB that I would imagine is not allowed on these boards.

Oh, and I've been holding this in for some time now; if you guys want to save Weir, best not let some of your members insult TPTB so blatantly.
                  Last edited by PG15; 09 May 2007, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    JM has said already (twice) that he won't name the other 2 due to common courtesy; how would the other two actors feel if they found out that TPTB chose Amanda/Carter over them?
                    Better than Torri Higginson? BTW, why are you so angry? Are you a PTB?
                    sigpic

Comment

Good point, mcbarr, Torri does know, wonder how that makes her feel.

He's defending TPTb just like we're defending our favorite characters or the actress.
                      Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                      at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Yeah, I'm actually Rob Cooper.

Obviously that's a joke; I'm angry because they get so much crap dumped on them for silly and sometimes false reasons that I just can't take it anymore.

They may or may not have been better than Torri, since removing Torri and bringing in Sam/the other 2 were separate decisions. There is no evidence that this is untrue.

Comment

Saying I don't believe them is different from calling them an outright blatant liar. It's my choice whether to believe them or not. And I choose not to believe them. It's also called freedom of speech.

I've already answered questions about this (just scroll up).

Comment

All you've said is that you don't buy it, and everything else is pretty much speculation, unless I missed something.

Freedom of speech is all well and good, but since this is a discussion forum, there should be some evidence to back up your position. You have none as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              All you've said is that you don't buy it, and everything else is pretty much speculation, unless I missed something.

Freedom of speech is all well and good, but since this is a discussion forum, there should be some evidence to back up your position. You have none as far as I can tell.
                              I don't need any evidence as back up or proof that I do not believe them. It is my opinion.

besides, the mods are probably going to come in here and clean up the thread and delete our posts anyway.

Comment

I don't need any evidence as back up or proof that I do not believe them. It is my opinion.

besides, the mods are probably going to come in here and clean up the thread and delete our posts anyway.
                                It all seems on topic to me... Though I guess the AT/Carter stuff could be considered off-topic. I guess I just see the TH/Weir and AT/Carter issues are so intertwined these days, that it's hard to separate them.

Comment

Working...
                                X