Color Change from S3 to S4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Color Change from S3 to S4

i just started a rewatch of Stargate Atlantis for the first time since they aired. and i noticed that from S3 to S4 the colors changed. (i would upload images for illustration, but i got a message saying: "you're not allowed to upload attachments")

i was just curious if anybody knows why they made that change? tbh i was a little shocked when i saw the difference. my first thought was: if somebody killed McKay in S3 and left him lying around for a week, he would look like McKay of S4 xD

the desaturated look of S4 makes everything feel kind of joyless and makes everything look ugly, imo. which is a real shame since S2 and S3 were so great.

this tonal/visual shift feels like it could have been a precursor to them deciding to make SGU look dark and dreary :/

if that issue was discussed somewhere i'd appreciate a link

ty

I think it was discussed but I can't remember where exactly, but I do remember there were many comments made on the subject and not all of them positive.

Season 4 brought other changes too, other than the different set of mood colors -- again not all of which were received with positive feelings by many, others took to it like something with a fish and water, I think.

There were costume changes as well so it fit into an entire package of a darker theme.

Also, welcome to the forum. You're a newbie so that's why you can't yet post pictures. But you should be able to link to illustrations, for example in the Gateworld image galery.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

thanks for the response!

ya, i thought the reason i can't post is because i'm new here

"not all of which were received with positive feelings" i would be one of those people xD

it's the reason i stopped my rewatch of Atlantis in S4, i really don't enjoy the miserable, dark tone. it's important to me to like the characters and wanna life in that world, and when people are more miserable or evil and the world looks gray and ugly that really makes it way less enjoyable.

i'ma try to link to the gallery:
      McKay from S3 (last episode): https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di..._display_media
      "zombie" McKay from S4 (first episode): https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di..._display_media

Comment

Personally, I'd always enjoyed the darker tone. I'd always considered Atlantis to be a darker take (some character funniness aside) on the series than SG1 anyway, so it just went along with my perspective on the show.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

"I'd always considered Atlantis to be a darker take"

i think that's true for S1.

but honestly, except for the two parters, S1 wasn't all that great. imo SGA's best seasons are S2 and 3 (the lighter ones)

so i didn't like when they went back to the gloomier tone, and decided to make it look that way too.

doesn't it bother you that things are so desaturated?! isn't it harder to look at?!

i really remember this shift in tv shows (not just Stargate) around that time, where everything became darker and more miserable looking, and it always made it hard to impossible for me to connect to the world or the characters. (i remember that in a show called "Smallville" as well around that time. but i have never revisited that show..)

and it has mostly stayed that way. i remember watching this small scifi movie only a couple of years ago (called "Arrival"). and the tone made everything look so gloomy and none of the emotional stuff hit home for me. the movie had a nice enough script, it had some nice ideas, but none of the emotional stuff that the script called for were actually conveyed. and i think that has a lot to do with the tone of these films/tvshows.

and honestly, i think the people making the movie knew that they are failing at conveying emotions (particularly the love story). i got that sense when the guy stepped in front of the lead woman to protect her form something, and the awkward execution of that made me literally lol. the idea was: he protected her, so now they are in love. xD

Hollywood too often does a poor job of getting people invested in movies, and i think the tone and lack of emotional depth has a lot to do with that.

and coming back to SGA, for me to made me care less about S4 and 5, even at the time they first came out (when i wasn't thinking about stuff like that, because i was a bit younger) i felt more disconnected from the characters than i didn in S2 and 3. to paraphrase a RedLetterMedia-ism: i may not have noticed it at the time, but my brain did. (RLM is a YT channel that does movie reviews).

btw, did you like SGU more than SG1 or SGA, since that was even darker? (i don't think i have to tell you what i thought of SGU, considering i thought SGA S4 and 5 were too dark xD)

sry for ranting on about this, but it's a big deal for me, because it really sucks the enjoyment out of it for me...

cheers,
          kapa

Comment

Originally posted by kapa1611 View Post
            and it has mostly stayed that way. i remember watching this small scifi movie only a couple of years ago (called "Arrival"). and the tone made everything look so gloomy and none of the emotional stuff hit home for me. the movie had a nice enough script, it had some nice ideas, but none of the emotional stuff that the script called for were actually conveyed. and i think that has a lot to do with the tone of these films/tvshows.
            There's only thing I can say for Arrival.

The general review was not really on the positive side so I thought to watch it cause generally speaking when the critics don't like it, I do... and HELL YEAH ... what an epic film. Mind utterly blown!

Once you know the twist, it diminishes a little but damn... those were 2h or so well spend.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
            Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

i didn't like the tone or the way the human elements were handled

but the script is ok, ya.

can i ask something unrelated?!
              what do i have to do to be allowed to start posting pictures?

Comment

Working...
              X