Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how did they survive? (The Tria's crew )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how did they survive? (The Tria's crew )

When I was in break I watched The Return, and while some of the members of the Tria might have been in stasis, but not all of them were. And they were in that ship for ten years or so.

My question is what did they eat? Freeze style foods can not last that long (only about two years) and then with being in space and on a ship radiation would have to be taken into account. Also what little food stores they have might have been destroyed in the Wraith war. The ancients don't have a matter converter so what did they eat? .........people? maybe?

Apparently it's said due to them travelling at .99 light speed, time passed differently for them. So for the years they were gone, it was only a few days for them or something. This never made sense to me, as I don't see how a speed you travel at explains how time passes.
    It's like saying driving at 40mph makes an hour journey feel like five minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
      Apparently it's said due to them travelling at .99 light speed, time passed differently for them. So for the years they were gone, it was only a few days for them or something. This never made sense to me, as I don't see how a speed you travel at explains how time passes.
      It's like saying driving at 40mph makes an hour journey feel like five minutes.
      well it's not that drastic, I don't think it would have been just a few days but probably a year or two if not more. The way they survived could be because we have no idea how the Ancients stored food, or if they didn't have a energy to matter converter. I think it's very possible that the crew could have survived going .999 the speed of light.

Also about the speed and time thing, the faster you go the more time slows down for you. Almost like going near a black hole, or in the SG universe being trapped in a time dilation field. It's the theory of general relativity and the main reason any plans for interstellar ships are so far away. Also the hindering factor of making any such ships viable. However going 60 mph won't have any effect on you at all. However if you travel on a plan from New York to London you will be slightly behind the time when you land. This is due to both how fast the plane has to go to keep on schedule as well as the altitude it must fly. Astronauts also feel this effect as they orbit the Earth at dozens of times the speed of sound. These are just slight differences in time (a few seconds to a few minutes depending on what you're looking at). So it's only logical that if you increase the speed another few hundred times over it'll slow down even more. Just think of the general theory of relativity, it uses the example of a man traveling at near the speed of light from one planet to another. To him he only experiences a few years while back on Earth, hundreds if not thousands of years pass by.

I hope I explained it well enough, it's been a while since I tried to explain the theories of relativity >_<
      sigpic Current Episode: Hell's Fire
      Stargate Olympus Virtual Series
      Stargate Olympus thread
      Spoiler:

Comment

I think he was asking more along the lines of what they eat/drunk in the 10 years that passed for the crew. I doubt a warship would have supplies to 10 years.

Comment

Isn't it obvious? They stopped off at the Intergalactic Mcdonalds.

Comment

Originally posted by Tru Calling View Post
            I think he was asking more along the lines of what they eat/drunk in the 10 years that passed for the crew. I doubt a warship would have supplies to 10 years.
            Exactly, it would only make sense for me to care since i'm a food science major.

But any way I started to think, and the asgard have those little food pills, while i'm not saying they have a huge supply of those what I am wondering is if they have the ability to turn what we would consider "raw" power to a base carbohydrate.
            Last edited by Lord batchi ball; 18 January 2009, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I think it'd be safe to call it a never explained thing. We never saw toilets on those ships, nor a waste disposal dock on Atlantis.

Comment

We can sumise with a little bit of imagination and locical thought that they might, just have had a matter converter to replicate food/drink. Plus... do we actually know or not if the Tria had any stasus chambers that they might have been able to "sleep" in and that they only knew about our ship because one of them was awoke because of a sensor reading????

You know, go into stasus when they were crossing the void between the galaxies, set the sensors to automatic (seek out hyperdrive caperble ships etc...) and wake me when you find one.
                http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

Working...
                X