Tao of Rodney Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tao of Rodney Question

Just a quick question. In the Tao of Rodney shortly after he was zapped by the machine to speed up his Ascension he already had the power to manipulate things with his mind. He was cleared by the Dr. because he was perfectly normal, and that therefore he shouldn't have been that far off on the way to Ascension to have gained the powers he did. And from watching the entire episode i can also assume that he was still in the early stages of Ascension so can we say that all Ancients on their path to Ascension develop the mental powers to Jam People's guns at will.. etc?

Note that since his Ascension process was being sped up, the time from where he was able to mentally levitate people to when he was actually about to ascend in the end of the episode is probably a 10-20 year difference.

So in my own opinion every Ancient had the power to basically do whatever the hell they wanted a couple years before they actually ascended. If that's true they should've been able to telepatically defeat the Wraith. Yeh, Ney?

Nay.

It really depends on when the Lantians decided to go for Ascension. As Morgan Le Fey said in The Pegasus Project, it seems that, only after they returned to Earth 10000 years ago did they start really pursuing Ascension. It would be at that time that they'll start developing powers, not before. In fact, they were probably too busy with the war to meditate day-in and day-out anyway.

Comment

That's a good point. But you can't simply say of all the Ancients not one of them wanted to Ascend while they were still in the Pegasus galaxy. Although i guess no one can really answer that as it is up to the writers to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
        That's a good point. But you can't simply say of all the Ancients not one of them wanted to Ascend while they were still in the Pegasus galaxy. Although i guess no one can really answer that as it is up to the writers to decide.
        well of course they studied ascension in pegasus, hell they had a rapid ascension device they had the black smoke creature that zapped the life of of atlantis also their was a colony of ancients on the planet sheppard was trapped on living out their lives in the aim to ascend

Comment

Okay then, therefore it's safe to say that numerous Ancients had these numerous powers as demonstrated in Tao of Rodney while they were at war with the Wraith.

Comment

LOL, i wonder if they had a problem with random personnel ascending at awkward time. Hey cheif? Lenny from accounting ascended during lunchbreak today ^.^ We need a new CFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
              Just a quick question. In the Tao of Rodney shortly after he was zapped by the machine to speed up his Ascension he already had the power to manipulate things with his mind. He was cleared by the Dr. because he was perfectly normal, and that therefore he shouldn't have been that far off on the way to Ascension to have gained the powers he did. And from watching the entire episode i can also assume that he was still in the early stages of Ascension so can we say that all Ancients on their path to Ascension develop the mental powers to Jam People's guns at will.. etc?

Note that since his Ascension process was being sped up, the time from where he was able to mentally levitate people to when he was actually about to ascend in the end of the episode is probably a 10-20 year difference.

So in my own opinion every Ancient had the power to basically do whatever the hell they wanted a couple years before they actually ascended. If that's true they should've been able to telepatically defeat the Wraith. Yeh, Ney?
              okay, i'm new to the mb so i hope it's not poor form to start spouting opinions too soon, but i wouldn't think ancients on the brink of ascension would've been all that into combat, and it was mckay's lack of intention to ascend that probably allowed him to see the potential of his powers.. or you know, something like that.. *trails off*
              Last edited by a-ko; 22 January 2008, 04:52 AM. Reason: revise wording
              <3

Comment

I don't think it was ascention that allowed him to do those things, it was the physiological advancement, like that person anubis tried to advance. It's got very little to do with ascension. When sheppard got stuck in that village the people had some ascended powers, so perhaps it is somewhat to do with ascention, but oneill also had the healing powers. So it's probably got a physical and mental aspect. What do you mean 20 years? It would take millions of years before you are able to ascend as it takes an advanced physical state and that whole spiritual part to it.
                Best quotes ever:
                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                Thor:I like the yellow ones
                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Heres something I was thinking about.

If Rodney got zapped by that thing, why didn't he think up of a device that would allow him to keep his advanced brain but not kill him?

It was said that the more his brain "activated" the harder it was to control his bodily functions and the continual activation woul essentially overload his synapsis and his central nervous system which would shut his body down and kill him.

Couldn't he come up with a signal buffer that could be implanted into his spinal column to regulate the signals being sent to the rest of his body?

The signals being sent from his brain (and Jack's experince with this as well) were very powerful and were trying to overwrite his genetic structure to become more like the Ancients. Its not known why this was needed for ascension, but those signals are evident and measureable, so therefore a damper could be built to stop (or significantly slow) those to lengthen his life span.

Eventually the signals could be stopped entirely when the brain transformation is complete.

The amount of information in Rodneys brain would eventually reach a critical mass and he would go comatose due to synaptic overload. To counteract this eventuality headgear could be designed to basically regulate the amount of information in his brain, the additional information would be buffered into either the Lantian core or a separate mainframe on Atlantis. There could also be Asgard crystal storage on the headgear that would allow Rodney to be offworld or onboard the Oddessy or Apollo.

This could be implemented into several SG staff and allow for access to much more information than what is currently at our fingertips. You would basically have a pysical human interface with the Lantian database that would allow for easy search and access.

Granted this would also take away the humanity for Rodney/others that undergo the procedure, so it would be a big gamble for those that do it. They may never be truly "themselves" again and may never be able to leave Atlantis. Granted they would eventually be able to ascend, but that would be a large price to pay for the advancement of mankind.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                    I don't think it was ascention that allowed him to do those things, it was the physiological advancement, like that person anubis tried to advance. It's got very little to do with ascension. When sheppard got stuck in that village the people had some ascended powers, so perhaps it is somewhat to do with ascention, but oneill also had the healing powers. So it's probably got a physical and mental aspect. What do you mean 20 years? It would take millions of years before you are able to ascend as it takes an advanced physical state and that whole spiritual part to it.
                    It does not take millions of year to ascend because a lifetime is averaged out to only 100 years. It does not matter how primitive or how advanced you are. As long as you have the mental capacity to ascend you will. 20 years was an estimated timeline of events if an Ancient started to Ascention process if he/she was around mid age, and conjectured through the Tao of Rodney.

Originally posted by mizzoueng View Post
                    Heres something I was thinking about.

If Rodney got zapped by that thing, why didn't he think up of a device that would allow him to keep his advanced brain but not kill him?

It was said that the more his brain "activated" the harder it was to control his bodily functions and the continual activation woul essentially overload his synapsis and his central nervous system which would shut his body down and kill him.

Couldn't he come up with a signal buffer that could be implanted into his spinal column to regulate the signals being sent to the rest of his body?

The signals being sent from his brain (and Jack's experince with this as well) were very powerful and were trying to overwrite his genetic structure to become more like the Ancients. Its not known why this was needed for ascension, but those signals are evident and measureable, so therefore a damper could be built to stop (or significantly slow) those to lengthen his life span.

Eventually the signals could be stopped entirely when the brain transformation is complete.

The amount of information in Rodneys brain would eventually reach a critical mass and he would go comatose due to synaptic overload. To counteract this eventuality headgear could be designed to basically regulate the amount of information in his brain, the additional information would be buffered into either the Lantian core or a separate mainframe on Atlantis. There could also be Asgard crystal storage on the headgear that would allow Rodney to be offworld or onboard the Oddessy or Apollo.

This could be implemented into several SG staff and allow for access to much more information than what is currently at our fingertips. You would basically have a pysical human interface with the Lantian database that would allow for easy search and access.

Granted this would also take away the humanity for Rodney/others that undergo the procedure, so it would be a big gamble for those that do it. They may never be truly "themselves" again and may never be able to leave Atlantis. Granted they would eventually be able to ascend, but that would be a large price to pay for the advancement of mankind.
                    Let's start first with what we know. The device wasn't meant to kill anyone but simply speed up the Ascension process so that the Ancients could simply.. ascend faster by speeding the process up. It would in the end lead up to the death of the person in question.

Side note kinetic powers have more to do with the mental capacity than the physical.

AND just because i feel like asking more questions and more conjectures. The zapping machine obviously was far from perfect and the Ancients knew that. They knew that if the person in question was not ready he/she would eventually die in the end. So they could've for their own sake have sacrificed one ancient to use his/her powers to do who knows what, but then again they were too good hearted for that eh?

Comment

Working...
                    X