Why Airforce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Orion's Star
    Just a bit of an addition to this, but Deltas are actually Army, not Marines.
    Gah, you're right. Shows how much I know about the other branches.

I would guess that the Navy knows. The Army knows (see: Lost city [sg-1]), the marines know, and I would guess that the Navy does to. It wouldn't make sense to NOT have them know, since all the joint chiefs consult with the president and advise him on military matters. They also have a lot of aircraft and technology that would most likely be used at some point for the stargate program.

As for Sheppard, it has never been directly stated (unless someone can prove me wrong on this one) that he is Air Force, but I think we're just supposed to assume that he is. In Rising he wore a USAF pilot's jacket, and if someone could get a screencap of his nametag, I think it said USAF after his name (also see Intruder). And he does fly the X-302, which is technically a USAF craft that has USAF pilots flying it. The Air Force also flies helicopters, though the list of choppers John has supposedly flown comes from multiple branches and is kind of hard to believe.

We never saw what type of chopper he was flying in Phantoms, although he did say he was doing search and rescue. The USAF's main helicopter is the HH-60G pavehawk, which specializes in search and rescue, although we can't be sure yet. Does anyone know kind of helicopter he was flying in Rising?

Edit: Nope, Sheppard IS Air Force. Look at his name patch in this pic (warning: LARGE pic!)
    http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s1/1...l/101x313.html

On his tag is also an AF Command Pilot Wing, which you can compare to this picture located here.
    Last edited by RoryJ; September 20, 2006, 03:25 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by monkeeygirl
      Well the bit about marine SO , well technicly the dont have them the have have force recon a the grand view of US Specrial ops troops i would rank them like this

SEAL
      Delta
      SF
      Ranger
      Force Recon
      Air force Air rescue

Rangers are elite infantry, not Special Forces. They shouldn't be on the list, unless you get into specific Ranger groups, and that's a stretch, even. The AFAR, is very specialized, but they are really good at what they do.

Originally posted by jefesito
      Does it ever specifically say what branch of the military Sheppard is in? For all you know he could be an army officer...in fact i consider it likely since he flies primarily helicopters. Everyone knows the Army operates most of the helio fleet of the United States. We know he isnt Navy, because navy doesnt use major or lieutenant Colonol in their grades.
      He's USAF. They never say it specifically in the show, but it's pretty apparent. He was assigned to McMurdo AF base, for starters.
      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by RoryJ
        As for Sheppard, it has never been directly stated (unless someone can prove me wrong on this one) that he is Air Force, but I think we're just supposed to assume that he is. In Rising he wore a USAF pilot's jacket, and if someone could get a screencap of his nametag, I think it said USAF after his name (also see Intruder). And he does fly the X-302, which is technically a USAF craft that has USAF pilots flying it. The Air Force also flies helicopters, though the list of choppers John has supposedly flown comes from multiple branches and is kind of hard to believe.
        Eh...does it really matter? Everybody knows John Sheppard could fly a MH-53 Pave Low with his eyes blind folded, one hand tied behind his back AND simultaneusly controlling a X-302 with his mind.

Probably still have time to do some sudoku too while he was at it.
        "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Eh...does it really matter? Everybody knows John Sheppard could fly a MH-53 Pave Low with his eyes blind folded, one hand tied behind his back AND simultaneusly controlling a X-302 with his mind.

Probably still have time to do some sudoku too while he was at it.
          Lol. He just IS that good of a pilot. I was just saying that since he's USAF, it's a wonder that he got the chance to fly those Army helicopters. Even if he did some sort of special ops back in the day with joint operations, he must have gotten outside training.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger
            He's USAF. They never say it specifically in the show, but it's pretty apparent. He was assigned to McMurdo AF base, for starters.
            McMurdo is an international scientific research station and not an Air Force base. They do employ USAF and Army helicopter pilots, though, but it's not military.
            sigpic

Comment

Actually IMO if you pitted the navy seals or rangers against the marine force recon you would see them loose overwhelmingly. I have no doubt about that fact.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Just a bit of an addition to this, but Deltas are actually Army, not Marines.
                damm you got there before me

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz
                  Actually IMO if you pitted the navy seals or rangers against the marine force recon you would see them loose overwhelmingly. I have no doubt about that fact.
                  And no just cause they are marrine dont mean they are bad @$$'$ delta and seal and the best we have and delta they are some scarry f$#%@ in TF160 we flew them around and trained with them.. they are some cold blooded evil dueds.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeeygirl
                    And no just cause they are marrine dont mean they are bad @$$'$ delta and seal and the best we have and delta they are some scarry f$#%@ in TF160 we flew them around and trained with them.. they are some cold blooded evil dueds.
                    I know a couple of SEALs, and while they are indeed very strange guys, I wouldn't call them evil, . Also, maybe we don't want the military definition of "shoot first, forget it later" to be our representatives out there in the galaxy. We seem to be doing fine with good old trained marines.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hmmm ... actually, since this is supposed to be an international joint effort, wouldn't it make sense to use the best that other countries have to offer?

American - Delta Force, Special Forces, SEALS, Force Recon.
                      British - SAS/SBS.
                      French - 3rd Regiment of the French Foreign Legion.
                      Japan - hmmm ... no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeeygirl View Post
                        Ok first i have watched every epp of both shows and love them .... but always thought about this... why is the airforce doing the explorring and fighting in the SG shows? the airforce Special operations units only consist of 1 type real unit Airforce Air Rescue and one kinda of SO unit Forward controlers. Air Resuce train to go behind the lines and pull out downded airmen and Forward controls control airstrikes from the FEBA. U never see anything that would make scence in real life. like the use of Ranger or Seal temas for planetary recon or ambushes, or the uses of SF A teams to train and equip local forces granted at lest Atlantis is using marine (i would suppose Force Recon units) to fight. But it would be nice to see more realistic use of tacital assests
                        there is alot more to AF spec. ops then that.
                        sigpic
                        Click the Pick for my FanFiction.net profile

Comment

Working...
                        X