Why Airforce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Airforce

Ok first i have watched every epp of both shows and love them .... but always thought about this... why is the airforce doing the explorring and fighting in the SG shows? the airforce Special operations units only consist of 1 type real unit Airforce Air Rescue and one kinda of SO unit Forward controlers. Air Resuce train to go behind the lines and pull out downded airmen and Forward controls control airstrikes from the FEBA. U never see anything that would make scence in real life. like the use of Ranger or Seal temas for planetary recon or ambushes, or the uses of SF A teams to train and equip local forces granted at lest Atlantis is using marine (i would suppose Force Recon units) to fight. But it would be nice to see more realistic use of tacital assests

I've thought of that for some time and agree, but for me I've just got used to it!
    I HATE SY-FY

Comment

It's odd, but it's never occured to me to wonder why the Air Force is running the project. The movie always suggested they knew what was on the other side of the gate (which is made apparent by the deleted scenes) so you would have expected someone like the Army or Marines to be running it.

I can't say I know much about the inner workings of the US Air Force, but it wasnt until SG1 that I saw the Air Force that way (as in ground forces for combat).

I never really paid attention to it before so it's not something that bothers me, especially when the SGC did use other military services in their SG teams so they may run it, but they don't do all the commando work.

sigpic

Comment

Sheppard's the only member of the Airforce on Atlantis

The rest of the soldiers are Marines (atleast this was the case in season 1)
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah and he was only brought in on Weir's request...

Comment

The USAF has juristiction over the US military's Space Program. Travelling through the Stargate = lots of things to do with Space, hence they run it.

Comment

Well that is a fairly simple explantion, surprised more of us didn't know it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                The USAF has juristiction over the US military's Space Program. Travelling through the Stargate = lots of things to do with Space, hence they run it.

Well it is true they have juristiction but thier is a little known us army unit it is a staff unit only based in the petagon but it is a shell unit meaning that it is a unit that has been created but not staffed with troops called the 1st Space Battalion thier patch is wierd looking but it dose exsit kind of a gay name let me find a link to there unit info and patch and i will paste a link to it

Comment

ok here it is

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/agency/1space.htm

Comment

here is another one
                    https://www.armyspace.army.mil/news/...?dc=3&NID=1223

Kinda makes you wounder hu?

Comment

This may not be a reason that you like and it is not my personal oppinion so please don't attack me for saying it. I remember reading in a psychology book that during WWII the US millitary gave out intelligence tests. The soldiers were divided up so that the smartest 10% were Air Force, the next 30% Navy, and the rest were army. I don't know if that still stands today. It does explain why the Stargate program would be run by the Air Force. They would need not only good soldiers but people with great wits about them and diplomatic skills.

Before you go off on where I got this info. I promise I will try to see if I still have the book and post the name of it.
                      I love these guys.

Comment

Your info for the time was prob right but intodays military you have very high tech jobs in all branches. the Special ops ppl are the cream of the top very smart, very skilled and very deadly

you also have to remember when that was writen the airforce did not think black ppl had the abulty to fly or the mental abilty to do more than janitoral work

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          This is the reason I placed on it for the beginning of SG-1. And the AF's corps of engineers and developmental scientists are very well trained and highly used in the field, so in terms of the sciences it would make more sense to use the AF. However, it's been pointed out that 99% of the military personel on Atlantis are marines (except Sheppard and Lorne), and at this point the bulk of the SG teams back on earth are also marines. However, with the expanded presence of spaceships (Daedalus, Odyssey, puddlejumpers, X-302s) the AF's presence in Stargate is getting bumped back up again.

As for basic control, the AF gets to keep running the Stargate program because it deals with space and it's pretty much their "jurisdiction" (that's a bad word to use since all the branches overlap at times). Part of the AF mission specifically states that they are to "fly and fight in air and space". Even if the Army had a space brigade (by the way, WTH?? That is so strange), it's not the Army's real mission.
                          sigpic

Comment

.....[/I]". Even if the Army had a space brigade (by the way, WTH?? That is so strange), it's not the Army's real mission.[/QUOTE]

HEHEH i know strange hu?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                              Sheppard's the only member of the Airforce on Atlantis
                              Is he? Where/when does it say that? Seriously, because wouldn't
                              Spoiler:
                              you need some flying experience to pilot the gliders?
                              I get the PJs are more about having the DNA, well McKay and Beckett pilot them (is it pilot or drive?). But they had no idea what they were going into, didn't even know about the PJs being there but wouldn't you want to cover all bases? Also it is a
                              Spoiler:
                              long time since they were shut off from Earth, so maybe some of the newer personnel are Air force.

How do we know who is a marine and who is not?

Also does this just apply to the US or the other countries? Remember it is international in all aspects not just civilian so why couldn't there be Air force equivalent personnel from other countries?

Comment

Working...
                              X