The Ascended And the Atlantis Expedition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ascended And the Atlantis Expedition

In Stargate SG-1's "Ascension" from season five the Ascended tried to prevent SG 16 from using the weapon Orlin helped the people of Velona create citing that they didn't want the unascended to have access to that level of technology.

How does this relate to the Atlantis Expedition?

How do the Ancients feel about humans living in their city, using their vehicles, accessing their technology, and searching for weapons to use against their enemies (the Goa'uld, the Ori, and the Wraith)?

Will this ever be addressed in Atlantis or have the Ascended changed their mind?
    Last edited by ManofTheAtom; September 4, 2006, 03:32 PM.
    I roll the dice and everyone else loses.

The ascended are a wishy washy group and are unpredictable in how they choose to apply their golden rule of non-interference with the "lower" species in the physical world

Comment

Originally posted by ManofTheAtom
      In Stargate SG-1's "Ascension" from season five the Ascended tried to prevent SG 16 from using the weapon Orlin helped the people of Velona create citing that they didn't want the unascended to have access to that level of technology.

How does this relate to the Atlantis Expedition?

How do the Ancients feel about humans living on their city, using their vehicles, accessing their technology, and searching for weapons to use against their enemies (the Goul'd, the Ori, and the Wraith)?

Will this ever be addressed in Atlantis or have the Ascended changed their mind?
      Actually:

The People of Velona were being threatened by the Goa'uld, so Orlin (already ascended) decided to interfere and helped them construct the weapon.

They eventually used it to destroy other planets, and so the Ascended decided to destroy them.

This was a case of an ascended being interfering and giving people an advanced weapon, interfering being the key word. It's alright if we find the technology on our own, as long as no ascended being helps us get it.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm
        The ascended are a wishy washy group and are unpredictable in how they choose to apply their golden rule of non-interference with the "lower" species in the physical world
        Heh, yeah they are.

I'd like to see this explored in the show.

Today I saw Trinity from season 2 for the second time and the question popped into my head. I'm wondering just how far the Ascended will let the Tauri go in their search for weapons.

I'm like "they wouldn't let them have Orlin's weapon, but they let Rodney play with the one from Trinity?!?"

Comment

It's my guess that Orlin gave them something that none of the preascended ancients could have built- a weapon built with some of the ascended knowledge. I mean, it would've had to be extremely powerful for the ancients to wipe out an entire civilization.
          Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
          encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
          3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Sauron18
            Actually:

The People of Velona were being threatened by the Goa'uld, so Orlin (already ascended) decided to interfere and helped them construct the weapon.

They eventually used it to destroy other planets, and so the Ascended decided to destroy them.

This was a case of an ascended being interfering and giving people an advanced weapon, interfering being the key word. It's alright if we find the technology on our own, as long as no ascended being helps us get it.
            That sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper
              It's my guess that Orlin gave them something that none of the preascended ancients could have built- a weapon built with some of the ascended knowledge. I mean, it would've had to be extremely powerful for the ancients to wipe out an entire civilization.
              Interesting, but wouldn't that mean that Orlin's weapon is more powerful than the one found in Dakara and the one from Trinity?

Comment

I'm like "they wouldn't let them have Orlin's weapon, but they let Rodney play with the one from Trinity?!?"
                I think that in the case with Orlin's weapon, it was constructed with Orlin's knowledge as an ascended being.....I think. That being the case, it was a weapon designed in the physical world with the involvment of an ascended being.

With the weaopn in Trinity, it was developed and abandoned by ancients in physical form. The design and creation were all done while they were in the physical world, therefore, probably exempt from interfernce from ascended beings.

Comment

I think that in the case with Orlin's weapon, it was constructed with Orlin's knowledge as an ascended being.....I think. That being the case, it was a weapon designed in the physical world with the involvment of an ascended being.

With the weaopn in Trinity, it was developed and abandoned by ancients in physical form. The design and creation were all done while they were in the physical world, therefore, probably exempt from interfernce from ascended beings.
                  So it's not so much about how powerful the object is but whether it was created before or after they Ascended?

Like if the humans find a bomb the Ancients built then they can have it, but if they find a calculator the Ascended made then they can't?

Comment

Yeah, that's exactly it. That being the case, will the ascended ancients allow SG-1 to use the sangraal?

Interesting, but wouldn't that mean that Orlin's weapon is more powerful than the one found in Dakara and the one from Trinity?
                    Well, probably more powerful than the weapon in trinity( what made that so special was the power source) but the weapon on dakara had a different purpose and function so you can't really compare them.
                    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

So it's not so much about how powerful the object is but whether it was created before or after they Ascended?

Like if the humans find a bomb the Ancients built then they can have it, but if they find a calculator the Ascended made then they can't?
                      That seems like a good example.

However, I do stand by my orginal statement of the ascended being a wishy washy group and unpredictable in how they apply their rules

Comment

Yeah, that's exactly it. That being the case, will the ascended ancients allow SG-1 to use the sangraal?

Well, probably more powerful than the weapon in trinity( what made that so special was the power source) but the weapon on dakara had a different purpose and function so you can't really compare them.
                        I'm sure they'd be willing to break theyre laws to tell Sg1 to "point the other way" with the weapon...

Comment

I'm still on SG 1 season 9 and SA season 2 here, so I'm behind.

What's the sangraal?

Comment

That seems like a good example.

However, I do stand by my orginal statement of the ascended being a wishy washy group and unpredictable in how they apply their rules
                            Yeah, heh

Comment

I'm still on SG 1 season 9 and SA season 2 here, so I'm behind.

What's the sangraal?
                              Open if you really want to know.

Spoiler:
                              It is a device made by Merlin, who was an ascended ancient who decended, used to kill ascended beings.

Comment

Working...
                              X