Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if you were part of the IOA. What would you say? - Massive Spoilers - Becareful!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Weir and Sheppard, appoint two people who aren't Americans in their place. Caldwell will take over as interim commander until a suitible civillian replacment can be found.

Lets have some Brits, French, Russians or Chinease in visible roles. This is afterall supposed to be an international expedition and the I in IOA does stand for international.

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
      Maybourne! lmao. That was a joke right, if not im pretty sure your not allowed to use the word incompetence anymore. lol.
      It's both, but he'd get the job done using whatever means possible.
      Signed,

Gregorius
      Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
      Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

I like the character of Weir as she was in S1 and most of S2.
        But this whole Wraith retrovirus storyline (and by extension the Michael storyline) has just made her look like a complete idiot who doesn`t know what she`s doing.

Michael - for one thing he should never have been created in the first place. It was only ever going to end in tears.
        But as they did do it, the worst thing she did was to order him back to Atlantis.
        Secondly, as harsh as this sounds, he is still a Wraith deep down so when he started to remember who he was in 'Michael' they should not have hesitated to kill him as Sheppard killed Steve...or was it Bob? (the Wraith in Siege).

Killing Michael in the episode of the same name was such a big moral dilemma. But Shep and the rest of the team didn`t hesitate to murder the 200 hu-Wraith in 'Misbegotten'.

Then there`s the Wraith virus in 'Allies' - a cheap plot device if ever there was one and one that made the entire team look incapable of setting a digital clock.
        Sending the Orion into battle - she was needed. But the only reason the Orion was destroyed was because there wasn`t enough power for the shields and the drone launchers at the same time. If they`d installed the ZPM or some Mark IIs then it would`ve had enough power and would`ve owned the Hives. The Orion was going to be destroyed eventually but they could`ve chose a better way to do it, like having the Asurans destroyed it at full power, that would`ve been alot more believable.
        Our brand spankin' slightly-used Hive ship - Pointless destruction. If they had to destroy it in that way they could`ve atleast shown us rather than skimping on the effects and just showing the wreckage. I`m sure there must`ve been a better way to destroy it, even having Michael nuke it would`ve been preferrable.

In short the writers have created a situation for themselves in Michael and the retrovirus that neither they nor the characters they write for can handle.
        If it weren`t for that I doubt this thread would either exist as that is pretty much the root of all her mistakes lately.

Weir is a good character, she has just been written really poorly as of late.

edit: To answer the question in the thread title - I would say Weir is a good commander but she has screwed up with Michael. The retrovirus should be banned unless under extremely extraordinary circumstances and any hu-Wraith that result from it must be eliminated immediately. And Michael should be killed on sight to end this terribly mishandled storyline.
        Last edited by talyn2k1; 28 July 2006, 04:05 AM.

Comment

What if you were part of the IOA. What would you say? ....

I'd say: "please get me the h*** away from these other IOA members." Then would wonder how I ended up in such a group of petty bickering bureaucrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros
            Fire Weir and Sheppard, appoint two people who aren't Americans in their place. Caldwell will take over as interim commander until a suitible civillian replacment can be found.

Lets have some Brits, French, Russians or Chinease in visible roles. This is afterall supposed to be an international expedition and the I in IOA does stand for international.
            If Shep gets fired he will be replaced by another USAF person. Not someone else from another country. The IOA doesn't have any form of power over the USAF as Caldwell pointed out. It is an International Expedition that is ran by the USAF. The IOA have know say at all in the matter. They only have an over see what goes on and where THERE money is going and what they are getting in return for there buck. Not to save the planet but there BUCK/DOLLAR. They won't recieve anything that has to do with military applications such has weapons and advancements. So where does this hole getting rid of the Americans come into play. Theyare the only Americans in the show. We get Three and you still aren't satisfied.
            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros

I'd agree if I didn't know too much about the four mentioned countries and their present leaders. I guess the leader of China would get things done though. But I'm feeling a person in charge...German (so far one of the greatest places to live) or someone from Finland. Or a Czech---the guy who separated the Czech republic...great job. Let's see, Poland leaders, great place to be from as well. And since we might need to some risk takers and political movers, I'd take a leader from Venezuela or Brasil.
              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

I don't agree with you at all. The leaders of both the military and civilians should be American. Why? First of all, we have the most experience, we were the ones who discovered the gate in the first place, we had been running it for what, 8 years before we had to let other countries in our little secret?

Another reason is that the gate on Atlantis is linked to the earth gate which is on American soil, it's a matter of national security and we can't cede the control of the gate at any cost, especially to the CHINESE, I mean come on!

I'm not worried though, the IOA is like the UN - a lot of talk, no action. We all know who runs things, that's right; The United States of America.
                We're whalers on the moon,
                We carry a harpoon.
                But there ain't no whales
                So we tell tall tales
                And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Oka
                  I don't agree with you at all. The leaders of both the military and civilians should be American. Why? First of all, we have the most experience, we were the ones who discovered the gate in the first place, we had been running it for what, 8 years before we had to let other countries in our little secret?

Another reason is that the gate on Atlantis is linked to the earth gate which is on American soil, it's a matter of national security and we can't cede the control of the gate at any cost, especially to the CHINESE, I mean come on!

I'm not worried though, the IOA is like the UN - a lot of talk, no action. We all know who runs things, that's right; The United States of America.
                  Sad, but true....But in regards to national security..it could be run by non-Americans....the military on the other hand is fine being run by Americans. One leader in charge doesn't mean the entire team or leaders have to be of the same country. We're talking about best qualified to do the job. And hence the reason we still have incompetancy in most of our organizations today. Kofi Anon is a figure head who talks a lot of Kantian nonsense. But on that note, I think it would be fine to have a leader who is non US. As for China...we just have more issues with the Chinese pegging crap than we do with anything else Chinese...since now we seem to be on friendly terms one day and on the next we're blacklisting....
                  Click statement above to read article.

Comment

You would think that with the IOA being an international organization however that they would take almost instant exception to the way the Americans seemed to have stacked the command staff in their favour. Especially since those other countries have been getting the cold shoulder for years when it comes to technology, information or what not from the Stargate program.

At the very least I'd expect the Russians and the Chinese to make a stink about this unequal representation, given that they're both either former or potential future competitors with the US.

Also no one really knew what to expect in Pegasus and there's surely no good reason for why the civillian leader had to be an American as well. The military leader being Amiercan makes sense given that the gate is located in the US and any communication will take place with the US military though.

Comment

Originally posted by Teylarrific View Post
                      I tend to think of the IOA as an SG alternative to the UN. Then comparing it with the UN peacekkeepers effectiveness of solving major conflict (think Kosovo ,East Timor etc) the way Atlantis is run or Dr Weirs performance may not look that bad after all .They look like they're doing 'something' at least. But thats purely my speculation on my part .
                      If by Kosovo you mean Operation Allied Force in 1999 that was a NATO operation and a succesful one.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X