This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
    *cough* I didn't see the Weir and Teyla fans fighting here. I saw some aggressive posting but I didn't see any fights. Unless they've been deleted. I'd just like to make sure that assumptions aren't made here.
    I don't know... I saw those aggressive posts, and I got a sense of underlying tension between two fanbases - one that's kinda simmering beneath the surface for some fans (not all fans, as I've seen quite a few Teyla/Liz fans out there).

When I see one fan of a character needlessly bash another character (or another fan of another character), that says to me that there are some serious comparison issues going on between fans of the "My fave is better than your fave" persuasion.

Or maybe I'm way off base, and I'm too sensitive. Perhaps I've been dealing with fandom backbiting for too long.

At any rate, I like Teyla, Weir, Cadman AND Novak , and I wouldn't mind seeing how they interact with each other and with the guys on a non-ship basis. And if they have to throw ship in there (which I wouldn't be wholly opposed to in some cases), it'd be great if they develop it so that the females aren't tied down to the guy (who, let's face it, would most likely be Sheppard).
    Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 19 July 2006, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      I don't know... I saw those aggressive posts, and I got a sense of underlying tension between two fanbases - one that's kinda simmering beneath the surface for some fans (not all fans, as I've seen quite a few Teyla/Liz fans out there).

When I see one fan of a character needlessly bash another character (or another fan of another character), that says to me that there are some serious comparison issues going on between fans of the "My fave is better than your fave" persuasion.

Or maybe I'm way off base, and I'm too sensitive. Perhaps I've been dealing with fandom backbiting for too long.

At any rate, I like Teyla, Weir, Cadman AND Novak , and I wouldn't mind seeing how they interact with each other and with the guys on a non-ship basis. And if they have to throw ship in there (which I wouldn't be wholly opposed to in some cases), it'd be great if they develop it so that the females aren't tied down to the guy (who, let's face it, would most likely be Sheppard).
      Oh no, you're right, you shouldn't have to bash another character to defend another. And perhaps I'm not sensitive enough and have seen much much worse!

And I agree, I would love to see more of those four interact! So Teyla and Cadman.

Comment

I would agree that all the characters except McKay were underdeveloped in Season 2.

The writers and producers admitted from day one that they found Rodney the easiest character to write for and to be a writers dream, and this shows in how much screen time is dedicated to Rodney. It seems the writers didn't really have any direction for any of the other characters. So with that in mind I really don't want to see anymore of any other reacurring characters, and would like some more focus and background to the main characters first.

The women have been seriously side tracked - both Weir and Teyla in favour of the combo of Shep/McKay,Shep/Ronan and now Ronan/McKay.

I would much prefer to see the writers put their heads together and use their imagination and writers skills to develop each of the main characters and after this lenght of time they really should have more background and depth to all of them.

I enjoy Zelenka and Lorne but don't really have any interest in seeing any more of them than we get at the momet. I appreciate them more when they pop up now and then. Cadman didn't really make any impression on me at all. She was fine in the guest starring role she played but I havn't really got any more interest in seeing more of her.

The writers need to give all the characters more screen time, except Rodney as I found season 2 too Rodney centric. Not that I don't like Rodney - I love his character but I'm not a fan of one character centric eps as they tend to be rather boring. Grace under pressure just didn't keep my interest and Epiphany was a real let down.

I hope to see more team centric eps this season and all the main characters getting a decent role to play because they are all important to the fight against the Wraith. They just have different roles.

NML got off to a good start in giving nearly everyone something do to.
        Spoiler:
        Teyla didn't get a lot to do but I believe she will have a much bigger part in fridays ep.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prion
          The actress who plays Cadman (Jamie Ray Newman) is currently making a movie. Instead of urging folks to replace Teyla, why not urge the writers to be more creative?
          My thoughts exactly. Teyla has a lot of unrealized potential.

Comment

I think the lack of development for Liz and Teyla goes down very simply to the fact that the writers are all men. Even Torri herself has commented that she would like to see a female writer on staff (official Stargate magazine, July 06). I'm not being stereotypical here; A LOT of male writers write great female characters, but these writers have struggled with it notoriously in the past.
            sigpic

Comment

I agree with the original poster. Never liked Weir or Teyla. Bring in Cadman because she's hotter and funnier than either of them. Then maybe Zelenka too..
              We're whalers on the moon,
              We carry a harpoon.
              But there ain't no whales
              So we tell tall tales
              And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin
                Ok I'm sure we've all noticed the back seating of Teyla lately, who agrees that TPTB should just go ahead and get rid of her somehow, and replace her with someone like maybe Cadman. Cadman was an awesome Character and would make a gerat addition to the team IMO.
                Yes, you're right.

They have been back-seating Teyla lately. In that she had a minor role in the FIRST EPISODE OF THE SEASON!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm getting sick and tired of all this BS.

Comment

Originally posted by RoryJ
                  I think the lack of development for Liz and Teyla goes down very simply to the fact that the writers are all men. Even Torri herself has commented that she would like to see a female writer on staff (official Stargate magazine, July 06). I'm not being stereotypical here; A LOT of male writers write great female characters, but these writers have struggled with it notoriously in the past.
                  Watch out with that statement..others on this board have been attacked, by other posters for having this exact same view. They claimed it was sexist to even suggest it. So be careful of possible backlash, of course those people may not post on this statement since even the actress on the show said the same.

Me?! I am slightly tentative mainly because I do like what the male writers are doing and have done, overall. I am though a bit angered by their methodology of the ladies development; but I think that a woman writer should be given a chance to contribute not only on the characters but primarily the women.

Good post!
                  Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                    Yes, you're right.

They have been back-seating Teyla lately. In that she had a minor role in the FIRST EPISODE OF THE SEASON!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm getting sick and tired of all this BS.
                    Agreed. They did the same thing to her last season, and after the hiatus for the first episode of the second half. It's getting pretty old. They need to make a decision about this character, and stop stringing the actress and her fans along.

Comment

Anyway, her status is besides the point and doesn't have to be addressed,
                      You asked; I answered with what information was available.

They did the same thing to her last season, and after the hiatus for the first episode of the second half. It's getting pretty old. They need to make a decision about this character, and stop stringing the actress and her fans along.
                      I'll agree there. I miss Ford, but I'd rather watch him in a few eps where I love his character than watch several series and become indifferent to him (getting that way with Shep). And now Rainbow is free to do other gigs so YAY for his fans who get to follow his career and see him in other stuff.

Comment

What the show needs is writers who can write women, be them male or female. Emancipation was written by a woman and that got an awful reception. I'll agree that these writers have had some trouble but employing the next female writer that comes along isn't the answer imo.

(Torri's mentioned that a few times, and talked about the lack of women in the industry in general.)

I don't think they've done a bad job. I just think they've had a few problems in general, mainly in what to focus on in the show. That's something that no switch of characters is going to help (unless it helps them get a clearer path of direction, which I don't personally think is the issue here.)

Comment

TPTB have brought in female writers in the past for SG1, but none have been asked to join the writing crew permanently.

"Instinct" was written by two women, btw (Treena Hancock & Melissa R. Byer). I don't know if they've been asked to submit more scripts.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyLizzie
                            What the show needs is writers who can write women, be them male or female. Emancipation was written by a woman and that got an awful reception. I'll agree that these writers have had some trouble but employing the next female writer that comes along isn't the answer imo.
                            I agree and would like to expand my statement. The show needs writers who can find the voice of a female character and develop her. Male or female, whatever. I'm just putting it out there because I know that for me, as a woman, it is easier to write female characters than males, because I know how (some) women think. Just like Ronon's hilarious line in TLG; He decided to chase down Sheppard and leave Liz to Teyla because he didn't have "a clue how she thinks".
                            To be very honest, I don't think these writers have that much of a problem writing women. They are great writers in general. I've seen some of the great stuff they came up with in SG-1, and Martin Gero is very talented. Not to mention Carl Binder. I've just noticed lately how they seem to be having a much easier time writing buddy relationships between Shep/McKay/Ronon/Beckett/Zelenka and less time on everyone else, including (to be somewhat on topic) Teyla.

Originally posted by Oka
                            Bring in Cadman because she's hotter
                            I'm sorry, but wanting a different character because they are "hotter" is not only shallow, but doesn't solve the problem of poor development. She'll just be hot and underdeveloped. Yeesh.
                            Last edited by RoryJ; 19 July 2006, 01:40 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry, but wanting a different character because they are "hotter" is not only shallow, but doesn't solve the problem of poor development. Yeesh.
                              Who'dathunk that a female character could be both "hot" and developed well? Will wonders never cease?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                                Who'dathunk that a female character could be both "hot" and developed well? Will wonders never cease?
                                I merely pointed out that wanting a new character because the old ones aren't "hot" enough is ridiculous. Plus, I hear that tons of men think Teyla is hot, so not only is the point silly, but it's completely subjective. However, I've edited my previous post in case my point wasn't clear.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X