Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inferno (219)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    my question is instead to traveling ALL the way to Atlantis and back why didn't the Daedalus drop off the survivors on the nearest planet w/ a stargate and have them gate to Atlantis from there? it would've been faster and depending on how far it is they could've taken on an addional 20 - 40 people. McKay could still work on the Orion to make it operational and take it w/ them so it wouldn't be destroyed by the volcano.

    Comment


      How dare you propose such a thing. That would take away the drama.

      Actually I thought the same thing when Inferno aired. I even said it could be a non-Stargate planet. That way you have gotten rid of the danger of the supervolcano and the Daedalus can ferry everyone back to Atlantis wouldn't worrying about time
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

      Comment


        Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
        Yes.....that makes two (including Catherine Langford) out of what? 270+ episodes?

        Hot Young Lady Scientist Syndrome needs to end.
        Yeah, it does. I thought it way, way over-the-top in this episode. Just... nothing more blatant than usual, simply the image of it.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

        Comment


          well moving to the nearest planet is risky considering the amount of times the team goes to a planet and then ends up in trouble. and besides that what story would
          Spoiler:
          Mckay keep on telling todd over and over again in be all my sins remembered

          Comment


            Originally posted by LordAnubis82 View Post
            my question is instead to traveling ALL the way to Atlantis and back why didn't the Daedalus drop off the survivors on the nearest planet w/ a stargate and have them gate to Atlantis from there? it would've been faster and depending on how far it is they could've taken on an addional 20 - 40 people. McKay could still work on the Orion to make it operational and take it w/ them so it wouldn't be destroyed by the volcano.
            The Daedalus could have picked up a Stargate on the way.. McKay reprograms it and everyone gates to Atlantis

            Comment


              Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
              The Daedalus could have picked up a Stargate on the way.. McKay reprograms it and everyone gates to Atlantis
              well that would make a boring episode . also wouldnt it have been easier to find a closer world witha gate they could be taken to?

              Comment


                Originally posted by LordAnubis82 View Post
                my question is instead to traveling ALL the way to Atlantis and back why didn't the Daedalus drop off the survivors on the nearest planet w/ a stargate and have them gate to Atlantis from there? it would've been faster and depending on how far it is they could've taken on an addional 20 - 40 people. McKay could still work on the Orion to make it operational and take it w/ them so it wouldn't be destroyed by the volcano.
                I too was wondering why they didn't do that when i was watching a repeat the other day it would have made more sense to go for the nearest planet with a gate than spend 12 hours going to atlantis and 12 hours back to taranus.

                I made a similar observation in the episode where sheppard and his team where having hallucations because of the wraith device at the end weir tells them to wait for the Daedalus to pick them up when all she had to do was send a puddle jumper to pick them up the planet's dhd had been destroyed but getting back wouldn't have been a problem as the jumpers have their own dhds.

                Comment


                  aww...what's the problem with "hot young" scientists/guests - whether male or female? Isn't that what they all look like? Honestly I don't mind that the guests are young or "attractive" it is all relative anyway.

                  I enjoyed the episode. I thought Lycos became understanding too quickly and would have liked to see a bit more suspicion on his behalf, esp when at the end they ended up with the ship which is what he didn't want in the first place.

                  Sigs by the lovely CSOM, Sonja and from the Tokrafans community on LJ.

                  Comment


                    Well, there is a sweaty Ronon in this epiosde, what more could a girl possibly want?
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      Cool ep, if a bit inconsistent. And yeah, they could've taken the refugees to any of the human-occupied planets known to be safe. I guess it's just about possible that Atlantis was the nearest safe place to take them at short notice.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        Inconsistencies aside, it was a good episode IMO. It is always cool to see new ancient technology but I can shake the feeling that if the ancients could not defeat the Wraith, why should humans from earth. Additionally, the Wraith have another 10,000 years of evolution and advancement since the battle with the ancients. I don't know, I really like SGA but the whole fighting the Wraith storyline is inconsistent. I guess this time around the Wraith are more fractured and without a central control they are weaker, sort of the old war time strategy of "divide and conquer". Just saying.
                        At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Blizzah View Post
                          It is always cool to see new ancient technology but I can shake the feeling that if the ancients could not defeat the Wraith, why should humans from earth. Additionally, the Wraith have another 10,000 years of evolution and advancement since the battle with the ancients. I don't know, I really like SGA but the whole fighting the Wraith storyline is inconsistent.
                          The Wraith defeating the Ancients made only sense in S1. Be assured
                          Spoiler:
                          in later seasons you are going to scratch your head about how the Wraith were able to defeat the Ancients, that or the Ancients were utterly stupid, since every invention after Season 1 seems to be a failure and McKay has a better grasp on Ancient technology than the Ancient ever had themselves.
                          Blue is such a nice color, especially if you have wings.

                          Comment


                            There were two easy ways they could have resolved the situation. They could have had the Daedalus borrow a gate from the nearest planet. They could have beamed everyone to the other side of the planet to give them the time needed to evacuate. Yes the volcano eruption will affect the entire planet but I'm pretty sure that it'll take more than a day for all the soot and toxic fumes to get to the other side of the planet.

                            Plus the whole idea of the Teranan drawing too much power is kind of ridiculous. There's like a thousand people on that planet, how much power could they possibly use?
                            Last edited by Giantevilhead; September 21, 2011, 07:30 PM.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                              There were two easy ways they could have resolved the situation. They could have had the Daedalus borrow a gate from the nearest planet. They could have beamed everyone to the other side of the planet to give them the time needed to evacuate. Yes the volcano eruption will affect the entire planet but I'm pretty sure that it'll take more than a day for all the soot and toxic fumes to get to the other side of the planet.
                              True, but until the point where the gate was lost, they thought they'd be able to evacuate everyone that way. And the Deadalus wasn't anywhere the planet initially, Weir had to send it there. Initially they thought they'd have time to get everyone out before the situation got too critical. That tends to be how natural disasters work - unpredicatable, and easy to come up with better ideas when we know after the fact what the timeframe actually was. At the point when they decided to evacuate everyone by ship, it seemed like the best plan.


                              Plus the whole idea of the Teranan drawing too much power is kind of ridiculous. There's like a thousand people on that planet, how much power could they possibly use?
                              It wasn't the people, it was the shield generators that were drawing too much power. We don't really know the energy requirements for their shield, and we know from our own world that even a small adjustment to anything under the ground can have disastrous effects.
                              sigpic

                              Comment


                                From Joe Mallozzi's Blog:

                                INFERNO (219)

                                A fine episode sandwiched between two great episodes.

                                Hmmm. At a bit of a loss on this one. I mean, it was solid stand-alone episode. The only elements I recall from the production are the impressive visual effects (of the lava claiming the stargate) and Carl’s frustrating quest to find a name for the planet that everyone could agree on.

                                What did I miss? Thoughts?
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X