No announcement yet.

Inferno (219)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is another one of those episodes that gets under my skin for all the wrong reasons. There was a distinct point to the episode: deliver unto the team at Atlantis an Ancient warship as a Wraith ship appears on the long-range sensors. All else is window dressing, and it leaves this episode in much the same position as “The Tower”. It exists to provide the characters with a source of arms and defense when needed; the rest is easily disposable.

At least this episode sets the new technology at the heart of the plot. The primary sin of “The Tower” was placing the drones and puddle-jumpers tangential to the main plot. The first season used to do episodes like this all the time, and they usually got it right: figure out what plot element you want to introduce, figure out a way for the characters to discover it, and work the plot around that mode of discovery.

The trick, though, is making sure that the plot itself is substantial enough to justify its own existence. “The Tower” failed in that respect, and to a lesser extent, the same issue comes up in this episode. It’s all too easy to dismiss everything but the introduction of the Ancient warship. Sure, the supervolcano is interesting enough, and it’s always fun to watch the cast deal with a crisis in consistent fashion, but it all comes across as rather disposable.

If there’s a nice twist in this episode, it’s the fact that McKay has the chance at the babe this time around, not Sheppard. I’m mildly amused by the fact that Sheppard is annoyed by this turn of events. At the same time, I find it hard to take it seriously when the babe in question was the prominent eye candy on the abysmal final season of “Andromeda”. It’s like making Tara Reid an archeologist. It breaks the willing suspension of disbelief in a matter of nanoseconds.

I also liked the fact that McKay’s character exploration this season was touched upon again, even if it wasn’t any sort of attempt at character development or advancement (something I continue to look for despite evidence that it rarely happens in this franchise). He knew damn well that the rest of the team was expecting him to work out a solution to the problem under pressure, and that’s exactly what happened. I like the self-awareness.

Perhaps the best way to sum up my thoughts on the episode is this: I had to keep myself from looking for something else to do. It just wasn’t holding my interest. Like too many episodes of “Atlantis” this season, I was forcing myself to pay attention and give it due time and consideration. And that’s not how I felt during the first season, or how I feel with “SG-1” or “BSG” this season.

My worry for the third season is that the producers won’t realize something is missing, and the same lack of originality will send this high-potential concept to an early grave. Looking back, I had similar feelings during the second season of “Enterprise”. Both series started out with troubled yet promising first seasons, followed by second seasons that seemed to promise more and deliver less. “Enterprise” shook things up for its third season, flawed as the attempt was…will “Atlantis” be able to bounce back more effectively?

Comment

The growing trend seems to be for things to happen as a matter of convenience rather than having any sort of depth to it.

Comment

I was disapoitned by this epsidoe. Not by what was in the episode but because of where the episode falls into the season. After an episdoe like Michael , I'm eagerly waiting to see the aftermath of what is sure to eb a major turning point in the series. What do we get instead? We get an episode that is a stand alone episode!!! I'm not complaining, as I said above, because of the plot or the fact it is a stand-alone episode I'm complaining because the episode is right before the end of the season!!! This is one of those episode's that while it is a good episode, seems to be an aggravation for those of us eagerly awaiting to know what is about to happen in the aftermath of Michael .

timdalton007

Comment

Just wait Till Allies and you'll see

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa
            Actually, she was covered up the entire time (same dress), and in sort of looser style (not tightly fitted as) than her Andromeda silk/spandex gear. I thought the *Inferno* ep dress was surprisingly conservative,
            It doesn't matter what she was wearing, or what was covered up. I think the poster was referring to the fact that Shep was "checking her out" and it was inappropriate.

I didn't care for his eye exercising or licking his lips either. Someone give the man some ChapStick.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure:
              I think the poster was referring to the fact that Shep was "checking her out" and it was inappropriate.
              just a thought - and no offense to that theory, but... if that were true-
              unfortunately, Rodney was checking Narina out too, so him and Shep are equally *bad*, if that were the case.

I asked someone (female) about this sort of situation (who's also probably been oogled by many guys). She said it doesn't matter who the woman is or what size her chest is; the fact she's female - she's being stared or looked at in some fashion is normal for most guys.

Just be grateful when another female walks up and says there's a fuzzy *thing* on your chest {you= "generic you" meaning anyone experiencing this type of situation}. Guys won't do that, unless they go to someone else first for advice. Otherwise, that fuzzy string will stay dormant, until someone else nicely mentions it or you see it first in the mirror after it's been there for several hours, and all during a business meeting... what's the polite thing to do?

Short of covering up a beautiful figure with a "burka," many eyes will roam regardless. Brandy just happens to be naturally extra blessed. I'd hate to see women in our society (or on SG) end up stuck in burka's just because men exist and admire another person's beauty - not necessarily leer. I didn't see Shep leering - look, but not leering. Otherwise, this might go back to the "then stare at her hair!" comment.

(Artists tend to admire others in a different way than the average person. Fashion designers tend to see a body and try to figure out ways to enhance or minimize certain attributes of another person. In Brandy's case, I think the SG designers did a good job of minimizing what Harper in the "Andromeda" series honed in most on.)

anyways...
              I happened to like the layering wrap around of the material on Narina's dress, and was trying to picture the pattern in my head (I used to make some designs). Nevermind what the entire crew was thinking while nearby in Brandy's/Narina's presence...

I read Brandy's interview about Narina. If I read it correctly she believes Narina was awed by Shep's presence (actually Joe's presence), more than the other way around; and said she wasn't aware of the attraction of other women as a problem- Sheppard's charasmatic character has brought to the screen.
              Last edited by SGalisa; 09 March 2006, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I thought this epiosde was great!!! Although i have to say, i thought they should have named the ship the enterprise!
                sigpic
                Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Same problem as with Jack wanting to name the Prometheus Enterprise.

I wonder what McKay's second choice was, though.
                  Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Probably some weird name!
                    sigpic

Comment

Perhaps the "McKay?"

What? Like he's not still conceited and full of himself?
                      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

The TARDIS, of course.

Comment

Samantha, duh!
                          Say No To Kirking: Join STAKS

Comment

The Carter!
                            sigpic

Comment

SPOILERS (highlight)

did we get to keep the Orion? my recorded tape crapped out before the end

i had to use white text because i dont know how to do the spoiler thing (is it an html tag?)

Comment

Yes we did
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X