Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel's_twin
    replied
    Same problem as with Jack wanting to name the Prometheus Enterprise.

I wonder what McKay's second choice was, though.

Leave a comment:

• mckaychick
    replied
    I thought this epiosde was great!!! Although i have to say, i thought they should have named the ship the enterprise!

Leave a comment:

• SGalisa
    replied
    Originally posted by FoolishPleasure:
    I think the poster was referring to the fact that Shep was "checking her out" and it was inappropriate.
    just a thought - and no offense to that theory, but... if that were true-
    unfortunately, Rodney was checking Narina out too, so him and Shep are equally *bad*, if that were the case.

I asked someone (female) about this sort of situation (who's also probably been oogled by many guys). She said it doesn't matter who the woman is or what size her chest is; the fact she's female - she's being stared or looked at in some fashion is normal for most guys.

Just be grateful when another female walks up and says there's a fuzzy *thing* on your chest {you= "generic you" meaning anyone experiencing this type of situation}. Guys won't do that, unless they go to someone else first for advice. Otherwise, that fuzzy string will stay dormant, until someone else nicely mentions it or you see it first in the mirror after it's been there for several hours, and all during a business meeting... what's the polite thing to do?

Short of covering up a beautiful figure with a "burka," many eyes will roam regardless. Brandy just happens to be naturally extra blessed. I'd hate to see women in our society (or on SG) end up stuck in burka's just because men exist and admire another person's beauty - not necessarily leer. I didn't see Shep leering - look, but not leering. Otherwise, this might go back to the "then stare at her hair!" comment.

(Artists tend to admire others in a different way than the average person. Fashion designers tend to see a body and try to figure out ways to enhance or minimize certain attributes of another person. In Brandy's case, I think the SG designers did a good job of minimizing what Harper in the "Andromeda" series honed in most on.)

anyways...
    I happened to like the layering wrap around of the material on Narina's dress, and was trying to picture the pattern in my head (I used to make some designs). Nevermind what the entire crew was thinking while nearby in Brandy's/Narina's presence...

I read Brandy's interview about Narina. If I read it correctly she believes Narina was awed by Shep's presence (actually Joe's presence), more than the other way around; and said she wasn't aware of the attraction of other women as a problem- Sheppard's charasmatic character has brought to the screen.
    Last edited by SGalisa; 09 March 2006, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FoolishPleasure
    replied
    Originally posted by SGalisa
    Actually, she was covered up the entire time (same dress), and in sort of looser style (not tightly fitted as) than her Andromeda silk/spandex gear. I thought the *Inferno* ep dress was surprisingly conservative,
    It doesn't matter what she was wearing, or what was covered up. I think the poster was referring to the fact that Shep was "checking her out" and it was inappropriate.

I didn't care for his eye exercising or licking his lips either. Someone give the man some ChapStick.

Leave a comment:

• sindicate
    replied
    Just wait Till Allies and you'll see

Leave a comment:

• timdalton007
    replied
    I was disapoitned by this epsidoe. Not by what was in the episode but because of where the episode falls into the season. After an episdoe like Michael , I'm eagerly waiting to see the aftermath of what is sure to eb a major turning point in the series. What do we get instead? We get an episode that is a stand alone episode!!! I'm not complaining, as I said above, because of the plot or the fact it is a stand-alone episode I'm complaining because the episode is right before the end of the season!!! This is one of those episode's that while it is a good episode, seems to be an aggravation for those of us eagerly awaiting to know what is about to happen in the aftermath of Michael .

timdalton007

Leave a comment:

• ShadowMaat
    replied
    The growing trend seems to be for things to happen as a matter of convenience rather than having any sort of depth to it.

Leave a comment:

• entil2001
    replied
    This is another one of those episodes that gets under my skin for all the wrong reasons. There was a distinct point to the episode: deliver unto the team at Atlantis an Ancient warship as a Wraith ship appears on the long-range sensors. All else is window dressing, and it leaves this episode in much the same position as “The Tower”. It exists to provide the characters with a source of arms and defense when needed; the rest is easily disposable.

At least this episode sets the new technology at the heart of the plot. The primary sin of “The Tower” was placing the drones and puddle-jumpers tangential to the main plot. The first season used to do episodes like this all the time, and they usually got it right: figure out what plot element you want to introduce, figure out a way for the characters to discover it, and work the plot around that mode of discovery.

The trick, though, is making sure that the plot itself is substantial enough to justify its own existence. “The Tower” failed in that respect, and to a lesser extent, the same issue comes up in this episode. It’s all too easy to dismiss everything but the introduction of the Ancient warship. Sure, the supervolcano is interesting enough, and it’s always fun to watch the cast deal with a crisis in consistent fashion, but it all comes across as rather disposable.

If there’s a nice twist in this episode, it’s the fact that McKay has the chance at the babe this time around, not Sheppard. I’m mildly amused by the fact that Sheppard is annoyed by this turn of events. At the same time, I find it hard to take it seriously when the babe in question was the prominent eye candy on the abysmal final season of “Andromeda”. It’s like making Tara Reid an archeologist. It breaks the willing suspension of disbelief in a matter of nanoseconds.

I also liked the fact that McKay’s character exploration this season was touched upon again, even if it wasn’t any sort of attempt at character development or advancement (something I continue to look for despite evidence that it rarely happens in this franchise). He knew damn well that the rest of the team was expecting him to work out a solution to the problem under pressure, and that’s exactly what happened. I like the self-awareness.

Perhaps the best way to sum up my thoughts on the episode is this: I had to keep myself from looking for something else to do. It just wasn’t holding my interest. Like too many episodes of “Atlantis” this season, I was forcing myself to pay attention and give it due time and consideration. And that’s not how I felt during the first season, or how I feel with “SG-1” or “BSG” this season.

My worry for the third season is that the producers won’t realize something is missing, and the same lack of originality will send this high-potential concept to an early grave. Looking back, I had similar feelings during the second season of “Enterprise”. Both series started out with troubled yet promising first seasons, followed by second seasons that seemed to promise more and deliver less. “Enterprise” shook things up for its third season, flawed as the attempt was…will “Atlantis” be able to bounce back more effectively?

Leave a comment:

• SGalisa
    replied
    thank yous to everyone for the volcano details on Yellowstone. I've never been there, but my sister was and saw ol' Faithful. Some of my *favorite* scenic (calendar) pix are of the Yellowstone winter scenes: of the waterfall and evergreens.

Originally posted by GateLadyM:
    There could have been a bit more useful dialog, but I guess its more important for our lead guy to scan a woman's chest.
    Actually, she was covered up the entire time (same dress), and in sort of looser style (not tightly fitted as) than her Andromeda silk/spandex gear. I thought the *Inferno* ep dress was surprisingly conservative, tho strange for a scientist, unless that's how the people on her planet dress up when providing tours to new (invited) visitors (a form of business dress).

Personally, any female with *that* amount of cleavage -if exposed- is a distracting attribute, when being talked to or with. And I'm female who knows other females who don't realize how distracting that is -even for another female! (so stare at their hair...)

Brandy does have a very attractive face, too... I think McKay was more distracted by Narina's presence than Shep. Of course, maybe that's why both of them were left sort of speechless (Rodney stammered a lot when attempting to find the right words, while he was specifically flirting with Narina, until he sort of gave up after seeing Narina oogle-eye Shep.).

Leave a comment:

• SciFiGeek
    replied
    I never thought I would say this, but I hated the Sheppard-McKay banter in this episode. I'm watching sadly as many of my favorite aspects of the first season are being mutiliated by the writers as they take their good things too far--to the point of being outright annoying and downright frustrating. Please, I hope Carl Binder never writes another episode that involves a lot of interaction between those two--because if he does, I will likely throw an axe at the television.

The best reminder it gave me of was Menace--when some of the Jack quips to Daniel (which I normally loved) came off as genuinely cruel and mean-spirited. But at least Menace had a great plot, and we got to hear Daniel call Jack a "stupid son of a *****." This episode had practically no redeeming qualities, sadly. While episodes like Before I Sleep and Defiant One had McKay-Sheppard banter, it was fun, and it felt more like two friends who get a kick out of pushing each others buttons. In this episode, it felt genuinely mean-spirited, and I cringed every time one of them spoke to the other.

What does it say about the quality of a series when I found my two favorite characters so annoying, I cringed every time they exchanged conversation, and felt myself relieved when they were off-screen? And since when is Stargate predictable? Second season, in particular, has just been a re-hasing of storylines that always lead to what seems to be the obvious outcome or easy way out. Within moments of them finding the Orion, I called that they were going to escape from the planet on the ship on account of the volcano (stupide episode teasers). And the problem seems to be that they wrote this whole episode just so that Atlantis could get the Orion, and needed a plot to go around it--hence the catalyzing event of the super-volcano. *sigh* There's a reason why I don't watch disaster movies.

Which is also a great reflection of the other most irritating aspect of the episode--the woman. Please--having a character whose sole purpose and personality trait was that she was hot just so we could have Sheppard and McKay fighting over her? Please don't ever, ever, ever do that again...or I will swear off Stargate forever.

So now, my favorite characte of season one has been degenerated to the point of one-dimensional comic relief whose sole personality trait is his ego, and my favorite character relationship has been turned into one that is more cruel than it is funny. And they write disasters-with-special-effects for no other reason than setting up the season finale with a brand new Ancient ship. *sigh* I really want to like you so much, Atlantis. I just wish that second season hadn't really let me down so far.

On a positive note, I'm really starting to like the character of Teyla quite a bit. I've been noticing recently (and even in rewatching episodes) how enjoyable it is to have someone so intelligent and cool-headed as she is. I think the introduction of Ronon really turned me onto that trait in her (and I don't mean this just as a bash on Ronon's character) in that he has a tendency to rush head-forward and emotionally-charged, and not very rationally into most situations. Whereas Teyla is even more level-headed than Sheppard and more diplomatic than Weir. And I'm really liking that about her! I liked the fact that she was spear-heading the evacuation of the survivors, since she was much better at talking people down (even if they didn't always listen). If Ronon had been doing it by himself, he probably would've waved his gun around and told everyone to shut up and do as he says, or he would shoot them.

Leave a comment:

• ToasterOnFire
    replied
    Originally posted by GateLadyM
    The remarks about Yellowstone were correct. Most of the park sits within a giant ancient caldera with lava sitting very close to the surface - hence the hot springs, geysers, bubbling mud, etc. The National Park Service refers to this caldera as a "super volcano" and any eruption would blanket most of the U.S. with ash. Kudos to TPTB for their research.
    Yep, the supervolcano in Yellowstone rates a 8 on the 1-8 scale of volcanic badassery. There's only one other volcano that rates the same magnitude - Toba in Sumatra. If one of those went off we'd be looking at the equivalent of a nuclear winter worldwide thanks to the massive ash deposits. Scary.

On topic, the idea of Shep and Rodney flirting with an offworld woman isn't a bad idea if taken by itself. However, thanks to the overkill of Shep flirting with women or having women throw themselves at him over the second half of the season it ended up more tired than humorous for me. It would be nice for the writers to stop pounding that particular drum next season.

Leave a comment:

• CalmStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattathias2.0

However, the Taranians may want their ship back.
    I wonder what the implications of that would be? They would have no ship if the Atlantis expedition didn't save it. It would have been lost to them regardless under molten lava. They would have lost a good majority of their population if the Atlantis expedition were not to have risked their lives saving everyone they could. It would seem poor character on their part to ask for it back, especially when you consider they have no clue as to how to operate it (at least I'm speculating since I was under the impression they found it in the hangar and that's where it remained). A war ship, that you have no clue how to use, for saving an entire society seems a reasonable trade....or at least a reasonable token of thanks.

I kind of think it would be like what we saw in the most recent SG-1 episode...can't think of the name right now so I'll go ahead and put spoiler warnings for anyone who has seen it

Spoiler:

It would be like the Russians demanding the return of the Stargate that has been in essence leased to the US. I do not see the US handing over the stargate regardless of the demands.

Leave a comment:

• Barca
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanda Eros
    I liked the episode except the whole Shep/McKay fawning over Doyle thing. I know that when doing costumes they are meant to highlight the features of the particular actor's body,
    At least it wasn't the pepto-pink outfit. In fact I thought the uniform fit the situation and local population.
    It is nice to see all the people who are new to the SciFi channel. When I saw Brandi, I was thinking ah-oh, Atlantis is going the way of the Invisible Man and Andromeda. And trying to stave off cancellation by playing the Ledford card.

Leave a comment:

• Mattathias2.0
    replied
    I loved this episode - classic.

Great special effects...

However, the Taranians may want their ship back.

Mattathias

Leave a comment:

• GateLadyM
    replied
    Originally posted by SGalisa
    * volcano: think Mount St. Helen's... or the volcanoes of Hawaii.
    I didn't know Yellowstone National park was a "super-volcano" variety. Volcano yeah, but *super* volcano? that would make ol'Faithful's geiser what?

heehee! I think I had tears in my eyes after seeing that! *Musical chairs* anyone?? Beckett's the last one to find a chair...!!
    The remarks about Yellowstone were correct. Most of the park sits within a giant ancient caldera with lava sitting very close to the surface - hence the hot springs, geysers, bubbling mud, etc. The National Park Service refers to this caldera as a "super volcano" and any eruption would blanket most of the U.S. with ash. Kudos to TPTB for their research.

I found the show to be quite entertaining and Norina, the Barbie scientist, didn't bother me. There was a remark early in the episode that the Ancient technology was far beyond them and they had no idea what half the equipment and buttons were for, which caused the problem in the first place. Norina was a scientist, but out of her league, which is why she wanted to follow McKay and learn as much as she could.

The Shep flirt stuff just took away a bit. There could have been a bit more useful dialog, but I guess its more important for our lead guy to scan a woman's chest.

I liked the scenes with Teyla and Ronon trying to help the villagers. Ronon showed a more compasionate side, and Teyla has become so much more interesting this year.

Now where are we going to park the Orion? I hope TPTB intend to showcase it later on, and hopefully we can learn a lot from it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X