The Long Goodbye (216)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
    Those points are merely your interpretation of the episode's plot, and I see it differently. I loved every second of "The Long Goodbye", and it still rnaks among my favorite episodes of Atlantis.
    You and me, both. I've always enjoyed this one.

Comment

Originally posted by squeakytoad View Post
      Why was this show the worst episode of Atlantis ever, you ask?

Good question. And yes, you asked. Whether or not you were aware of it.

Let's start with the fact that this episode is everything that's wrong with the writers listening to the fans.
      It's quite obvious this was intended to make the fangirls giggle when Sheppard and Weir made out and please the forum addicts who constantly discuss "how cool it would be to see this character have to duke it out with this character all over Atlantis".
      Reasons why this was done as an obsessed fan pleaser rather than the quality episodes they usually put out:
      • They sacrificed quality for a "conceptual joyride" (ie, an idea that sounds like fun but is nothing more than a quick and very cheap thrill). They usually try to avoid this.
      • There is no reason whatsoever behind Weir and Sheppard allowing unknown entities to posses their bodies. They would've never have done it. It defies all protocol, and, more importantly, defies the personality of the characters (they, especially Sheppard, would've never agreed to this). And before you all shout out, "WE DON'T CARE IF IT'S REALISTIC! IT WAS FUN!", may I remind you that you get equally irritated when an episode you DON'T like features such inanity. Not to mention that there are those of us who do care if the characters act like themselves and follow protocol. Both keep the series good. If they changed how they behaved and what they did drastically with each new episode, it wouldn't make much sense would it? It would also cheapen everything and be completely unrelatable.
      • The two characters had NO reason to kiss. No matter how much you wanted to see Weir and Sheppard lock lips so you could stick it in your signatures, there's no reason whatsoever for this to happen. The characters were enemies who were completely revolted by each other. And before you try to argue that it was tactical, perhaps I suggest that you watch the scene. Kissing quite clearly had nothing to do with gaining an advantage. In fact, it hindered them in getting weapons. It was quite clearly done for the few (but loud) fans who wanted it and nothing else. Ugh.
      • The whole episode was full of more holes than a spagehtti strainer.
      • The character's reason for wanting to kill each other, the whole centerpoint of the plot, made no sense. Both were going to die anyway. Some of you will argue that it did make sense, and quote Weir stating "I want to see that look of defeat on your face". Weeeeell, this line was the biggest hole in the plot. IT WASN'T THE GUY'S FACE. It was Sheppard's. It was just their minds inside them, minds which would be erased in a matter of hours. So yeah, completely ridiculous, and just made up so that they could get a "Weir vs Sheppard" duel that forum fans were salivating for.
      • The choices made by the substituting leaders (McKay and the General) didn't fit at all and were completely ridiculous.
      • We've had people go into other people's minds through storage devices at least a dozen times in Stargate history. There was no need to see it again. That's just waaaay to repetitive, not to mention the fact that it completely goes against any reasonable odds.
      • The dialogue was so stupid and cheesy. I could list every ridiculous line, but you'd be better off just getting a copy of the script. And it would save me time.
      • The acting was poor. For some reason, Higginson and Flanigan (who are usually pretty good actors) bombed this one. I suppose in an attempt to come off as different people, they just fell flat on their faces. This was a bummer to me, as I suppose I just hate seeing flaws in talented people, especially in a show I love.
      I agree with a lot of what you say. But I don't mind big plot holes if it's still entertaining but I wasn't really entertained by this at all. The stupidity of the characters was a bit much to take at times. There was absolutley no reason as you say for Sheppard and Weir to kiss.. why on earth would two sworn enemies want to kiss when they couldnt stand the sight of each other but as you say this was just a huge plot device to make some fans happy.

But I did enjoy Weir/Phoebus performance and I liked the spunky kick ass Weir. Sheppard I thought didn't really change much and Sheppard/Thalen didn't seem all that different from the real Sheppard...but then he wasnt as evil I think as Phoebus. But overall a pointless episode with way too many plot holes and Caldwell was the only one displaying any common sense.
      sigpic

Comment

This ep was awsome!
        despite a few plotholes here and there
        I'm a 60%er | Sigs are made by me and othersThe Lorne Identity - A Lorne fanfiction collection community.

Comment

Forgot what the episode was about?

Comment

Originally posted by nightmare_warrior View Post
            Forgot what the episode was about?
            haha it was a wkd one lol where shep and weir get taken over by them to weirdos in a space coffin and they have a massive fight
            sigpic
            [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

maybe one of my favs. good shep & weir ep

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                I agree with a lot of what you say. But I don't mind big plot holes if it's still entertaining but I wasn't really entertained by this at all. The stupidity of the characters was a bit much to take at times. There was absolutley no reason as you say for Sheppard and Weir to kiss.. why on earth would two sworn enemies want to kiss when they couldnt stand the sight of each other but as you say this was just a huge plot device to make some fans happy.

But I did enjoy Weir/Phoebus performance and I liked the spunky kick ass Weir. Sheppard I thought didn't really change much and Sheppard/Thalen didn't seem all that different from the real Sheppard...but then he wasnt as evil I think as Phoebus. But overall a pointless episode with way too many plot holes and Caldwell was the only one displaying any common sense.
                True. I mean, movies like Jumper and Night at the Museum are fun and entertaining movies despite obvious plot holes and leaps of logic.

But these weren't just holes. These were massive gigantic craters.

And the episode was really unenjoyable- almost painful.

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                  why on earth would two sworn enemies want to kiss when they couldnt stand the sight of each other
                  the sight of each other ?
                  it was the 1st time they saw each other in these forms, and assuming the possessor is to a certain extent "influenced" by its host (somewhat like the goa'uld), one could hypothesize that for a very, very brief moment their (hosts') hormones took over

not the best theory perhaps, but better than a plothole :|

Comment

I actually enjoyed this episode. They had kind of a "Halo" thing going and to see Weir actually get in on the action for once was a nice change. The kiss seemed kinda silly though, maybe that was really Weir trying to get one in on Shep cause I didn't see her getting on any other way. Also, the tension between Caldwell and McKay was hilarious.

Comment

One of the best episodes of the season. Not only are John and Liza hot together - it scored a 1.8 in the ratings. I give it a 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                        One of the best episodes of the season. Not only are John and Liza hot together - it scored a 1.8 in the ratings. I give it a 10.
                        I quite liked it, Kiss and all.
                        Maybe I'm easy to please since I'm so hooked by the characters....

Megafanisall
                        Late to the Gate

Comment

Originally posted by Auralis View Post
                          Well, i'm one of those that think firefly ... So turning starget into one of those shows would be runining it for me.
                          Don't worry, none of TPTB have talent enough for that.

Comment

I thought this was a very good Shep/Weir episode. This was the very first episode I'd ever seen of Stargate and I loved it!

I'd give this episode 5/5.

Sig by me

Comment

So I'm making my way through the Atlantis marathon, and this is on now. Anyway so far I am sort of liking this episode. I thought it was a different take on the whole alien takeover. I enjoyed Caldwell putting Rodney in his place svereal times, especially when it came to chain of command. teyla and weir had some nice monets with butt whooping. It was nice to see a different side of weir, especially since she was so opposed to the ideas of the military initially, when we were introduced to her in lost City. As noted by others there was a lot of predictibality, but hey it's Stargate, there not gonna kill off there main characters. well I will finish watching this and then move on to the next episode airing.

You know I'm thinking some said that Shep didn't play his character different. Isn't it possible that the imprint didn't have as strong an effect on him as it did weir, being that he was military and perhaps trained for situations like this (well maybe not exactly like this). I keep thinking that because he called for help for Ronon, after mentioning that Sheppard was screaming in his head. weir seemed intent on killing everyone.
                              Last edited by gatechick; 12 December 2008, 09:33 AM.

Comment

fantasic episode i agree with u on all points it was very interesting to see what every one would do in this situation and the fact that both weir and Sheppard chased eachother around atlantas with guns. i also like how the essences inside Shepperd and weir used the knowledge of atlantas and the other characters to try to kill the other
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X