Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
    I
    I figured that "Bob" brought... erm... "supplies" with him, which would explain the white dots surrounding his orange dot on the sensor screen.
    I never thought that but it does bring up the point of how many people can darts store - 2 darts got away in Rising with 6? people.

Anyway I just thought the white dots of people were explained by the sensors detecting it from birds eye view and others were on different levels. though i guess that makes very little sense.

But anyway rewatching it the closeup frame makes it look like the wraith is very close to other people on sensros but in a small room on the map outline.

Comment

I loved this ep but I still have to say that I’m caught up on the Bob/Bates fight. From what was shown of Bob during the interrogation it doesn’t seem that he'd be likely to leave Bates alive. Surely he'd have killed Bates if only to be sure he couldn't tell anyone what happened.
      Furthermore Bates is found at 'generator station 1' thus I’m assuming this would be checked regularly, so wouldn't Bob have tried to hide the body somewhere?
      Given that Bob had been around undetected for 2 weeks he would probably know at least roughly the areas of Atlantis that are inhabited/frequented and be able to dispose of Bates effectively.

(I admit I’m smiling at the thought of Bates being disposed of).
      Last edited by noxturnal; 27 January 2005, 09:04 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Killing Bates might have made them suspect his presence earlier. If he fed on Bates, they would have known immediately. Perhaps Bob was an optimist and figured if he left Bates alive he'd have the chance to feed off him later on

Comment

On the topic of bob and Bates. Reading the official annal of the keepers they don't really see humans as very logicla or much threat, so Bob was probably presuming they would never find out he beat up Bates (not thinking humans would have DNa testing) and so left Bates unable to report him (presuming Bates came across Bob trying to sabotage generator 1) and yet looking like it was a person who did it.

Point is feeding would alert them to a definite Wraith presence.
          Whilst the DNA testing proved that too, Bob likely beleived humans too weak a race to possess such knowledge since they've been dealing with humans who are far behind technologically.

Comment

Originally posted by noxturnal
            I loved this ep but I still have to say that I’m caught up on the Bob/Bates fight. From what was shown of Bob during the interrogation it doesn’t seem that he'd be likely to leave Bates alive. Surely he'd have killed Bates if only to be sure he couldn't tell anyone what happened.
            Furthermore Bates is found at 'generator station 1' thus I’m assuming this would be checked regularly, so wouldn't Bob have tried to hide the body somewhere?
            Given that Bob had been around undetected for 2 weeks he would probably know at least roughly the areas of Atlantis that are inhabited/frequented and be able to dispose of Bates effectively.

(I admit I’m smiling at the thought of Bates being disposed of).
            I'm thinking that Bates put up quite a fight and injured Bob sufficiently for the wraith to have to retreat temporarily. Meanwhile, Bates is able to stumble away and escape, till he succumbs to his injuries and collapses where he is eventually found.
            To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
              I'm thinking that Bates put up quite a fight and injured Bob sufficiently for the wraith to have to retreat temporarily. Meanwhile, Bates is able to stumble away and escape, till he succumbs to his injuries and collapses where he is eventually found.
              Yeah, I like this scenario! The Wraith may not have been anywhere near that generator station. Bates may have dragged himself there in the hopes he would be found. I would be nice if we get a flashbackie to the fight when Bates wakes up, though that's probably too much to hope for.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you; the writers have been doing just fine, IMO.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Didn't ANYONE else find the whole 'we can't take the database with us' thing stupid?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                  Didn't ANYONE else find the whole 'we can't take the database with us' thing stupid?
                  Firstly it wasn't they can't take the database, it was they can't take *all* the database - only 9% as Zelenka last promised.

And I thought it was good to have that. Makes sense the ancients collected more data than human harddrives (that they as an expedition have access to) could store.

It's also a nice setup for problems in later seasons - places where the episodes would be uninteresting if they could just look it up and that would be the end of it.

I reckon it's good since it adds extra problems that they'll later have to overcome and ultimately thats what drives stories.

It would be unrealistic for the Wraith battle not to cause unexected problems like that.
                  But thats just my thought on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                    What was stupid about it? The entire Ancient database is so huge that they can only take at most 9% of the translated portion using their current available data storage capabilities.

Presumably, the original copy of the database is not in an easily transportable format, like a few Ancient equivalents of data crystals or flash memory drives.
                    To Infinity And Beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
                      What was stupid about it? The entire Ancient database is so huge that they can only take at most 9% of the translated portion using their current available data storage capabilities.

Presumably, the original copy of the database is not in an easily transportable format, like a few Ancient equivalents of data crystals or flash memory drives.
                      But they said that the database backed itself up to places all over the city. I didn't understand why they couldn't pull a terminal and bring it with them.

Even if the original copy of the database isn't in an easily transportable format, the Ancients had portable storage devices far more efficient than our hard drives.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                        But they said that the database backed itself up to places all over the city. I didn't understand why they couldn't pull a terminal and bring it with them.

Even if the original copy of the database isn't in an easily transportable format, the Ancients had portable storage devices far more efficient than our hard drives.
                        Computer illiterate person chiming in, here;

Is it possible that Zelenka and co don't yet recognize the terminals? Considering that these are alien computers, they might still be at a stage resembling my lack of understanding about PEE CEEs: I can use the d*mmed things but I couldn't tell the hard drive from the motor, or which memory chip is which . Zelenka might pull out a whole console thinking that it holds all the data but can't be activated without some other piece he hasn't found out about yet. It would be like trying to build a jetplane based solely on the dashboard.

I liked how, even as late as The Brotherhood, they were still discovering programs in the Ancient computers.
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                          Computer illiterate person chiming in, here;

Is it possible that Zelenka and co don't yet recognize the terminals? Considering that these are alien computers, they might still be at a stage resembling my lack of understanding about PEE CEEs: I can use the d*mmed things but I couldn't tell the hard drive from the motor, or which memory chip is which . Zelenka might pull out a whole console thinking that it holds all the data but can't be activated without some other piece he hasn't found out about yet. It would be like trying to build a jetplane based solely on the dashboard.

I liked how, even as late as The Brotherhood, they were still discovering programs in the Ancient computers.
                          Motor???
                          Definitely trusting you there when you say you are computer illerate

But anyway, yes its interesting to have the Ancient systems be so beyond them they don't know what's what and what exists.

Besides that the computer systems there if they don't understand them and the fact they seem to be crystal and light based (possibly? i'm going on those weird console panels they take out etc) means it would never likely be as simple as pulling a harddrive or anything - and not just because they wouldn't know what it looks like.
                          I agree it's a nice touch to the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                            That's an easy assumption to make, but in what episode were portable Ancient storage devices discovered? For all one knows, if you try to pry an Ancient terminal loose from its connections, it might activate some failsafe autodelete mechanism.
                            To Infinity And Beyond!

Comment

Or the terminals could weigh a ton, making them impossible to get up to the gate room.

Comment

OMG! They killed him! I thought it was whats his face, but it wasnt! OMG! ahh ahh!

Good ep though. I cant wait until part 2!
                                "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Working...
                                X