Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poisoning the Well (107)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Poisoning the Well (107)

    Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ATLANTIS - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 107

    The team finds a world whose people are on the brink of a discovery that may make them immune to the Wraith feeding.

    VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; February 4, 2021, 09:46 PM.

    #2
    I only have one problem with this episode. I find the speed at which the whole world committed to taking the drug implausible.

    I mean, it was hard enough for America to get the people behind entering World War II even with Hitler's rampage across Europe. Now, overnight, we have 96% of the population in favor of killing half their population in order to fight against an enemy that would probably only kill around half of them anyway.

    Now, maybe they put a really good spin on it, and maybe they were motivated by fear, and maybe the other side wasn't represented. But, come on. I would believe 58% of the vote. Not 96%.

    They should have tried harder to justify the other side's point of view. As it is it's just 'Main characters are right, everyone else is wrong' as we see constantly in every kind of scifi.

    I think the drug should have killed more like 10-20% of the people who took it. That way it'd be even more plausible for them to commit to it that easily.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Bobthespirit
      I only have one problem with this episode. I find the speed at which the whole world committed to taking the drug implausible.

      I mean, it was hard enough for America to get the people behind entering World War II even with Hitler's rampage across Europe. Now, overnight, we have 96% of the population in favor of killing half their population in order to fight against an enemy that would probably only kill around half of them anyway.

      Now, maybe they put a really good spin on it, and maybe they were motivated by fear, and maybe the other side wasn't represented. But, come on. I would believe 58% of the vote. Not 96%.

      They should have tried harder to justify the other side's point of view. As it is it's just 'Main characters are right, everyone else is wrong' as we see constantly in every kind of scifi.

      I think the drug should have killed more like 10-20% of the people who took it. That way it'd be even more plausible for them to commit to it that easily.
      I see what you mean, but after so much time of the Wraith destroying their progress I can see 96% of people in favor of the drug.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Bobthespirit
        I only have one problem with this episode. I find the speed at which the whole world committed to taking the drug implausible.
        Well. When your world has been attacked every century for thousands of years.....
        sigpic

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Mio
          Well. When your world has been attacked every century for thousands of years.....
          Exactly, more than 50% of the people would die from the wraith attack, so it was really the only choice.

          Comment


            #6
            I loved all the focus on Carson, but the ep itself was kinda draggy and far too preachy for my tastes. I could, however, buy 96% of the population agreeing to the drug. Americans sure as hell wouldn't want anything to do with it, but these people are from another planet with a very different mentality, different problems, different culture, different everything.
            Last edited by ShadowMaat; August 20, 2004, 08:30 PM. Reason: typo

            Comment


              #7
              I thought it was a great esp. I voted OUTSTANDING on the Sites poll for the first time since the first 2 esps. (The others were all 4 outta 5).

              I thought we learned a lot from this esp. and i hope we have a follow up of this esp in season 2.
              When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
              I miss you.
              Please...please come back one day.



              (Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

              Comment


                #8
                I really liked this ep but I wish we could see more of the city of Atlantis.

                We did learn alot by this ep. Hmm... the wraith are like the Ashen "Very patient"
                My website



                O'Neill: "Since when has plan A ever worked?" Evolution [part I]

                Comment


                  #9
                  Good episode! And Dr. Beckett was in it a lot, which made me very happy. And he said "Scotland" for some reason I like when people with Scottish accents say "Scotland." I felt kinda bad for Steve though. They probably could have kept him going- did they really need all those Athosians and what does Teyla do anyway?
                  Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                  RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

                  And to the Sci Fi Channel...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I enjoyed the episode. I thought it was in interesting way to use the wraith they'd captured - good old "Steve" - and an interesting examination of the lengths a population was willing to go to fight something that had decimated its people for eons. I really felt for the guy who volunteered to be the wraith's victim.

                    I did think it dragged a little at times and it was pretty predictable that Dr. Beckett's lady friend was a goner. However I enjoy it when the scifi genre is used to examine these difficult moral issues so not a bad episode for me. Heck it was just nice to see them exploring some new worlds, unlike the SG-1 episode preceding it.

                    My fave McKay didn't have much to do but spout a few snarky lines, Shep was in pretty good form although I think he's trying a little bit too hard to be cool, Weir was okay, Beckett was endearing, Teyla still bugs me.
                    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Vyse
                      Exactly, more than 50% of the people would die from the wraith attack, so it was really the only choice.
                      No, the Wraith were not attacking at that moment. Kits could have been issued with instructions to take in case of attack with warnings that testing would continue and the serum may be replaced, so keep up with the news.
                      Causality should not be taken lightly.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Hahah that was the greatest. They name the Wraith STEVE and kept calling him that. That made me laugh so much.
                        When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
                        I miss you.
                        Please...please come back one day.



                        (Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by NightGloom
                          I felt kinda bad for Steve though. They probably could have kept him going- did they really need all those Athosians and what does Teyla do anyway?
                          LOL

                          I know Wraith are BAD, but I kinda felt sorry for good old Steve too.. maybe it was because they gave him a name.
                          Daniel:Nyet
                          Jack: Daniel?
                          Daniel: He just asked me if we were Soviet Spies. I just...
                          Jack: Nyet???

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Yeah, Steve woulda made a good pet, unlike a dog you can talk to him and he would talk back and say about how you're all doomed and how his kind is going to come feed off of everyone. Could knock him out and dress him up in fun costumes and have tea parties with him...
                            Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

                            And to the Sci Fi Channel...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by NightGloom
                              Yeah, Steve woulda made a good pet, unlike a dog you can talk to him and he would talk back and say about how you're all doomed and how his kind is going to come feed off of everyone. Could knock him out and dress him up in fun costumes and have tea parties with him...

                              Too bad he would try to eat you...
                              Daniel:Nyet
                              Jack: Daniel?
                              Daniel: He just asked me if we were Soviet Spies. I just...
                              Jack: Nyet???

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X