Childhood's End (106)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
    Well, this one was better than TNG's try at it, simply due to absence of Lwaxana Troi
    I was going to cite the TNG episode myself, but you beat me to it.

I was a little confused at McKay's attitude switch. First he asks to Teyla how can they force these people to change their rituals after being there only a little over an hour. Then he tells Weir that the people can be moved to Atlantis if they it turns out Atlantis can use the ZPM. Then Weir has to remind Rodney that they can't go around uprooting people all over the place and changing their way of life. I guess Rodney's desire for the ZPM outweighed his better judgement.

Personally, I think McKay says Zed PM once to irk Sheppard then goes back to saying ZPM.

Teyla shows good judgement but is ignored (uh, maybe we shouldn't take away their only defense, especially without asking?)

I don't get why Sheppard didn't explain why he had to destroy the Wraith bracelet, and that it was a good thing for him to do that.

I enjoyed how Ford made McKay deal with the kids before rescuing him.

It was nice that McKay got those kids under cover before his last try at fixing the shield.

Ares sure got the village on his side quick. Didn't anyone want to side with Keras? BTW, I thought the actor, Courtenay Stevens, was excellent.

I recognized the female elder of the other village, Julie Patzwald, as someone I'd seen on The Dead Zone ("Enemy Mind").

I thought it was a good stand alone episode.

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by vfxsoup
      Did you guys like the tree house village shot? That one was quite tricky, again, all CGI. We spent a lot of time adding CGI people up there to give it some life (notice the rope bridge is swinging?). I could carry on and on about what else was CGI in the show, but then I'd be letting you guys in on too much!

Keep watching, we've got more great stuff in store!

Mark Breakspear
      Visual Effects Supervisor
      Atlantis
      Aw, come, just a little more?

I will have to admit I did think for a split second that the tree houses were real. Then I thought, nah, that would be too much money and time just for the look of it. It went by so fast, too, I didn't get a chance to appreciate it. I'll have to go back and check it out again.

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

No Beckett, no Grodin. Boo.

Wouldn't the puddle jumper just fall from the sky like a stone if it lost power? It's not aerodynamic that Shep could do any gliding maneuvers. And, set design wise, it just skids a few feet, completely missing the trees.
        The bit of fake foliage covering the zpm was tacky, too. Ohh, we have to discover it and uncover it slowly wth wonder, even though it is in complete shade with nothing growing around it.

McKay and kids were great. Ford and kids were good, too. Considering I don;t like kids, and the age of these ones for acting ability. They are keeping McKay's character consistantly annoying.

I thought Weir was well used in this ep, for advice and procedure issues.
        No Beckett, no Grodin. Boo, again.

The Elder gets shot in the chest, and then his arm is in a sling?!?!?!?

Beckett next week
        Hopefully Grodin, too.

Comment

SciFi Channel has updated the "Stargate SG-1" and "Stargate Atlantis" sites with episode synopses, photos, sound bites, and video clips for this week:

STARGATE SG-1

Episode synopsis for "Avatar," four photos

http://www.scifi.com/stargate/episodes/season8/0806/

and a Teal'c sound bite on…His Favorite Videogame

http://www.scifi.com/stargate/episod...ealc_clip.html

Download preview video clip of "Affinity":

http://www.scifi.com/stargate/teaser/index.html

STARGATE ATLANTIS

Episode synopsis for "Childhood's End," plus four photos

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/episod...n1/episode106/

Download teaser clip for "Childhood's End":

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/episod...ideo_clip.html

DID YOU KNOW?

Wraith pilots routinely wear a bracelet that serves as a homing beacon. Upon activation, it silently pulses and grows red, transmitting its location through space — though not subspace, meaning its signals cannot transmit through a Stargate. McKay has speculated that there are relay devices on certain planets that pick up the transmission and alert the nearest Wraith ship.

Download teaser for "Poisoning the Well":

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/video/teaser.html

In the "Aliens" section, the fourth entry in the Wraith Journal:

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/aliens/

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
          http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
          http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
          SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
          Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HIj'Qa
            No Beckett, no Grodin. Boo.

Wouldn't the puddle jumper just fall from the sky like a stone if it lost power? It's not aerodynamic that Shep could do any gliding maneuvers. And, set design wise, it just skids a few feet, completely missing the trees.
            The bit of fake foliage covering the zpm was tacky, too. Ohh, we have to discover it and uncover it slowly wth wonder, even though it is in complete shade with nothing growing around it.

McKay and kids were great. Ford and kids were good, too. Considering I don;t like kids, and the age of these ones for acting ability. They are keeping McKay's character consistantly annoying.

I thought Weir was well used in this ep, for advice and procedure issues.
            No Beckett, no Grodin. Boo, again.

The Elder gets shot in the chest, and then his arm is in a sling?!?!?!?

Beckett next week
            Hopefully Grodin, too.
            I thought Weir was like in one scene, wasn't she? or mabye 2... Yah, whatever, haha... I guess she didn't really have much things to add to this episode, other than what you said, advise and explanation and blah blah blah.
            Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I thought the kid who ran back to tell Aries the device worked was the kid from The Light, can't remember his name.

Anyway, I liked the episode. It was a good plot, the team had some good interaction, and McKay with kids was hilarious!

There hasn't been an episode I haven't liked at this point.
              sigpic

Comment

From now on, my favorite word is wonky. lol. Loved the episode. Also loved that Ford seemed more comfortable in this episode than in some past episodes.

Comment

Not a great episode, but not bad either.

All my opinions have been summed up so far, but my favorite line was:

Originally posted by McKay
                  It's normally plug and play... This thing must be using an old version of Windows.

Comment

Wanted to add that I thought the treehouse was real LOL!
                    sigpic

Comment

McKay + kids = Saving the episode.

I enjoyed this one, mainly because of the very funny stuff between McKay and the kids. Ford was pretty cool as well. Chocolate would seem to be their best weapon. Hope they brought a lot of it to Atlantis!

This was probably the first episode I've seen where I really didn't think much of Shep and his command decisions. Teyla.....she really is kind of a voice of wisdom but it ends up falling kind of flat at times. I hope she can find a new wig in some secret closet they discover at Atlantis. Great to see Courtnay Stevens again. I always loved Eliot and Mr. Stevens brought a lot of warmth and maturity to this role as well.

The plot itself wasn't that original but it was an entertaining hour and I especially enjoyed the character interaction with McKay, Ford and the kids.

The tree house was CGI?? Cool.
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by McKay
                        It's normally plug and play... This thing must be using an old version of Windows.

Just when you thought you'd escaped, no. Even in the Pegasus galaxy, Bill Gates rules. *shriek of terror*

*coughs* Or whatever.
                        ~Lucia
                        This is OTAKUDOM-
                        I mean.... This is STARGATEDOM!

IMPORTANT! Lucia Tanaka will be AWOL for about 1-2 months due to school. See you soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                          I like Ford more and more every episode and I really enjoyed Courtnay (happy David?) Stevens performance.
                          It's CortEnAy.

Yes, Courtenay was excellent in this ep and I hope we get to see more of the character (and the actor) in future eps.

As for other, general comments, yeppers, McKay and the kiddies were definitely the saving grace of the ep. And the bit at the end where he gets them under cover shows he isn't completely heartless. He's just one of those grownups who completely panics in the presence of kids 'cause he has no idea how to handle the situation. Very cute to watch.

I still think the kiddies should have solved the sequence problem for him. He'd NEVER have been able to live it down.

Oh yeah... and LOVED the "Go to your rooms!" comment. The last defense of adults everywhere...

Comment

Question about McKay.... when he took the compass and was looking for the source of the EM field, at one point he stood there with the compass in one hand and the other hand on his neck. It was almost as if he was checking his pulse, but his hand was too far back, on the side of his neck. Was he just striking a dramatic pose? Or was that for a reason that I somehow missed?

Anyway, I did like the episode. I recognized Keras (sp?) right away from Proving Ground, and I also recognised the younger boy (who ran to tell Ares & Keras that the device worked), altho I didn't realize from where until someone mentioned it. I thought Teyla didn't play much of a part in this ep, except to try to counter most of what Sheppard said (some rightly, some not). I also noticed the similrity w/ the ST:TNG episode with the same general premise, but it's not like that episode was run so recently everyone would remember it (gee, I must be old!).

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                              Question about McKay.... when he took the compass and was looking for the source of the EM field, at one point he stood there with the compass in one hand and the other hand on his neck. It was almost as if he was checking his pulse, but his hand was too far back, on the side of his neck. Was he just striking a dramatic pose? Or was that for a reason that I somehow missed?
                              I figured it was more of a "I have a crick in my neck" kind of thing. Or it was a subconscious move he wasn't really aware of. I don't think there was any serious reason for doing it. Or at least, I didn't read it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                It's CortEnAy.
                                Yes, Courtenay was excellent in this ep and I hope we get to see more of the character (and the actor) in future eps.
                                Ha! I spelled it just like Shipperahoy 'cause she sounded like she knew what she was doing!
                                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                                X