No announcement yet.

Thirty Eight Minutes (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to admit, Ford throwing himself against the bulkhead to get the ship to move was a little dumb. Don't worry, Aiden, you're still my favorite.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Some notes on the episode:

Just a few notes on Stargate Atlantis' "Thirty Eight Minutes."

The episode was written by Brad Wright, and directed by Mario
      Azzopardi -- who directed the "Stargate SG-1" pilot, "Children of the
      God" and several other first season episodes, the last one being "Cor-
      Ai." It was nice seeing his name -- and his work/talent -- back on
      the screen for a Stargate production.

I watch TV with the closed captioning turned on, and there was a bit
      of dialog in the last scene in the infirmary that was apparently
      edited out as audio.

Ford: "Well I for one am back in fighting form. Thanks to the lovely
      meal.

Teyla: "My people were happy to oblige."

Ford: "It tasted like chicken."

Nice use of humor again in this episode. I liked Beckett's joke about
      the cling-on (Klingon), the mention of the Swiss Army Knife, and
      Ford's statement after he tried the iodine on the creature -- "Well,
      scratch that."

Gorgeous matte painting of the ringed planet.

I'm really liking Weir more after this episode. And Sheppard just
      rocks, and I adore both Ford and Hewlett. Teyla needs some exposition
      though for me.

Very enjoyable episode -- lovely music, terrific special effects,
      beautiful matte paintings, and a wonderful job of acting from
      everyone involved.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Inertia- as far as the wreath in F&W goes, I can see where one or both characters might have given it a slight nudge as they were placing it in the event horizon and thus it had SOME forward momentum. A bit weak, but that's the mot likely solution I can think of.

The PJ on the other hand, was stopped dead. And as for Ford throwing himself against the bulkhead, hey, I thought of the same thing. All you need is a LITTLE nudge, right?

Comment

Here's a question: They make a big deal about how whatever is inside the wormhole/event horizon when the gate shuts down will be lost forever. But that isn't strictly true, is it? The matter gets stored in the buffer. So why not have everyone move beyond the EH and let the gate shut down and then perform the same trick they used in 48 Hours to rescue Teal'c?

Maybe they don't know enough about the "new" gate to do that, or they don't wanna risk blowing the Ancient Dialing Device. But how come it wasn't at least mentioned as an option?

When the PJ entered the event horizon, the bow was still being carried forward based on momentum, right? It was just the stern that got stuck. So if they HAD performed the trick, should the initial momentum have helped carry the bow of the ship out of the gate and into the bay?

Comment

Best ep yet! I do, think that the Wraith should have chuckled as it turned and left Shep to die with a bug on his neck. That would have been in keeping with the Wraith rep.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              I was waiting for it to be one of the bugs from Bane.

Any chance it may have injected something into Shep? Might explain an upcoming plot point...
              I was thinking about the "Bane" bugs, too.As for it injecting something into him,seeing that it had broken his skin,there's no telling what got introduced into his system.
              If nothing else,it sure left one heck of a "hickey"!
              nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

Comment

Did anyone else notice the Weir/Shepard interaction?

At first I thought it was my imagination, but then it seemed that Weir was more concerned for Shepard then she should've been. Then Shepard wanted to talk to her when he thought that he was going to die, and later wouldn't tell what he was going to say.

If it was just me then someone tell me I'm crazy but I kind of like the idea of them together. I can't see Shepard with Teyla.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
                McKay - "Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried."
                Shepard - "I shot him."
                Weir - "..."
                Shepard - "In the leg."

Comment

Here's a question: They make a big deal about how whatever is inside the wormhole/event horizon when the gate shuts down will be lost forever. But that isn't strictly true, is it? The matter gets stored in the buffer. So why not have everyone move beyond the EH and let the gate shut down and then perform the same trick they used in 48 Hours to rescue Teal'c?
                  Wouldn't that depend on whether or not the gate considers a whole person to be a single item or the whole ship? Teal'c was only carrying his gun in 48 Hours and he and it went through and then the gate shut down. The crew in 38 Minutes were inside the PJ, which itself was not fully entered.

Just a thought...
                  Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                  O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                  - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                  - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                  once done, cannot be undone...
                  brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by ice_angel1119
                    At first I thought it was my imagination, but then it seemed that Weir was more concerned for Shepard then she should've been.
                    I wouldn't say she was more concerned than she "should've" been. More like she was seriously concerned...and for good reason. That's her second-in-command there. TPTB are obviously setting up some "issues" with her command and leadership for her to demonstrate her capabilities. It only follows that she'd be concerned, even "more" concerned, about the life/death status of the main person she'd rely on to back her up.
                    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                    once done, cannot be undone...
                    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                      Wouldn't that depend on whether or not the gate considers a whole person to be a single item or the whole ship?
                      Good point. Hmm. Maybe save it as a last ditch effort in case all else fails?

As for Weir showing more concern for Shep, I didn't get that impression at all. But then, I find everything about Weir irritating so I'm not likely to imagine her having fuzzy feelings for anyone...

Comment

Originally posted by ice_angel1119
                        Did anyone else notice the Weir/Shepard interaction?

At first I thought it was my imagination, but then it seemed that Weir was more concerned for Shepard then she should've been. Then Shepard wanted to talk to her when he thought that he was going to die, and later wouldn't tell what he was going to say.

If it was just me then someone tell me I'm crazy but I kind of like the idea of them together. I can't see Shepard with Teyla.
                        I think that in the first few episodes they're kind of experimenting with the character dynamics a little bit to help us get to know the characters. I didn't particularly pick up that Weir was more concerned for Sheppard than she should have been - at this point I think they are still feeling their way toward a more comfortable friendship and working relationship.

I *do* think Sheppard has more interesting chemistry with Weir than with Teyla so far but I'm sure not ready to pair them up in a romantic sense.
                        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

SPOILERS for RISING

Weir has a boyfriend. While other folks may be perfectly willing to ignore things like that for the sake of a "good 'ship", I'm not. But like I said, I can't even see her having friendly chemistry with anyone, nevermind romantic...
                          Last edited by ShadowMaat; 31 July 2004, 11:39 AM. Reason: edited to correct grievous factual error and to add spoiler space for an old episode

Comment

Why do you hate Liz so much Maat?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Man that bug gave me the creeps, even though it was an obvious prop, just the thought of some big tick like that strapped to my neck (shudder).

I really liked this episode (didn't expect to). I liked Weir's display of leadership and I love how cool and decisive yet laid-back Sheppard is in almost every situation. Very O'Neill-ish, but with enough of his own flavor to make him seem original.

The medical Dr is another favorite. Teyla and Weir are sexy as all get out. McKay gets on my nerves a little as the "Chicken Little" character, but I have to admit I like him too.

Ford seems a little wimpy to me at times even though I think they want him to be this stern tough guy.

Zen MonkI
                              A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
                              The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep."

Comment

Weir is married. While other folks may be perfectly willing to ignore things like that for the sake of a "good 'ship", I'm not. But like I said, I can't even see her having friendly chemistry with anyone, nevermind romantic...
                                Weir is married??? Huh??
                                Spoilers for Rising
                                Wasn't the character Garwin Sanford played just a boyfriend or something??
                                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                                X