No announcement yet.

Thirty Eight Minutes (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Believe he means in the beginning of the ep when Rodney and Tayla pull him half out of the event horizon because when they got stuck he was in the forward part of the PJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
      Believe he means in the beginning of the ep when Rodney and Tayla pull him half out of the event horizon because when they got stuck he was in the forward part of the PJ.
      Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

It just shows that until something is fully submerged in the event horizon, you can pull it out again. Like sticking your hand in and pulling it back out, only on a bigger scale. He was dematerialised and held in potentia, but with his hand sticking out it was still possible to retrieve him.

MY question is, why didn't the Wraith try and pursue the jumper? Isn't that partly why they were in such a hurry in the first place? They would have been sitting ducks, stuck there in the gate with no way to move and no way to get at weapons or shielding...

Of course, it would have made for a very short (or drastically altered) series, but still...

Comment

I liked Thirty-Eight Minutes too. What is the deal, I'm enjoying everything so far this year. Maybe it's this shiny new forum or something.

* The story itself was interesting. Pacing was good, I felt the tension as the clock ticked down.

* Love McKay, every little pissy hypoglycemic inch of him. Love McKay, Ford and Sheppard interacting. Those three are great together. Teyla I'm afraid may be a lost cause for me although I'm trying to keep an open mind.

* Weir, hmm... Sometimes I like her, enjoy her strength and other times she just seems to be acting like a **** to prove she's in charge. I still think she has potential to become a good character. On a superficial note, I like her hair better straight and she seems to have packed quite a wardrobe.

* Like the international aspect of this expedition. Very cool. Czech guy was good.

* Okay, the bug looked kind of lame. But every bug I've seen on Stargate has been kind of lame. They just don't do bugs well I guess. But hey, who does?

All in all I think Atlantis is off to a pretty strong start.
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I was waiting for it to be one of the bugs from Bane.

Any chance it may have injected something into Shep? Might explain an upcoming plot point...

Comment

Pretty good episode. Atlantis hasn't disappointed me yet.

I'm really starting to like Elizabeth. At first, she seemed a little rough around the edges, but not so much anymore.

McKay needs to lighten up a little. His "doom and gloom" attitude will get old soon.
            No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Okay, I must be in the minority here, but I honestly didn't like this episode as much as some of the others.

I'll admit, there were good plot/characterization things going on, which I enjoyed a lot. However (and I don't profess to be an expert on wormhole physics ), but weren't there a few plotholes?

So, most obvious one I could find is that the front of the 'jumper didn't rematerialize, which, honestly, it should have. There are a few examples in SG-1 where people have gone only partway through the gate, and have rematerialized on the other side.

Example? Shades of Grey. When Col. O'Neill finally caught the bad guys and whatever, he 'held the gate open' from the far side. This implied him going through the gate and keeping his hand INSIDE the gate, which prevented it from closing. His body (as we were shown), did in fact rematerialize on the other side. He was there for quite a while, too.

I hope I explained my point so you can understand it. If anyone can clear this up, much thanks. I might just be confused.

...Oh, and side note? What's up with SG-1 and Atlantis having stuff in common. Last epsiode - Black clouds. This ep - Those weird red suits. Coincidince? Conspiracy? Subliminal messaging? (Lol)

Comment

Shades of Gray- I thought that was to keep the gate from shutting down prematurely. It has a tendency to shut down if it doesn't detect any material passing through it. The gate doesn't ALWAYS stay active for 38 minutes, right? The team goes through, the gate shuts down. Jack was holding it open so that wouldn't happen.

Comment

I know, that's exactly what he was doing, but according to the science of this Atlantis episode he shouldn't have rematerialized on the SGC side of the Stargate until ALL of his matter was through, in one big clump.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    Only problem with Ford I had was his hesitation on using the paddles on Shep. Hello! Don't look for permission, just DO IT already! Sheesh.
                    Though he didn't hesitate to blow the aft section with him still in it. All in all I loved this episode! Ford and McKay were great, and Teyla is starting to grow on me (I'll have to get that looked at ) and Weir kicked booty when that jerko Cavanaugh got all up in her face.
                    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Meg_Ann
                      I know, that's exactly what he was doing, but according to the science of this Atlantis episode he shouldn't have rematerialized on the SGC side of the Stargate until ALL of his matter was through, in one big clump.
                      I agree with you, Meg_Ann...it was probably just a production error. They should have used the whole "holding signal" plot device.
                      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I think the rematerialization thing is explainable. Jack's hand did stay in the other gate room in "Shades of Grey" -- he walked full-bore through the event horizon, then probably stopped himself from fully coming through on the other side. He held his hand in the E.H. at the S.G.C. So the matter was transmitted, but not yet fully reconstituted, preventing the rogues from being able to disconnect the wormhole.

The sticky point I see in tonight's episode was the fact that the gate didn't draw the ship in once it was dislodged (as we've seen happen other times, as with the Russian submarine in "Watergate"). McKay figured it was because they had no inertia; it could be explained that the gate has a time limit in its systems to tell whether or not something is trying to pass through. After 37 1/2 minutes, its systems may have "forgotten" the puddle jumper and turned off the "auto-pull" feature.

Darren

Comment

I'm with the rest of you that loved this episode. The pacing was good, the acting was good, and the story was good. My specific thoughts are :

Dr. Mckay's "we're screwed" attitude helped keep things tense, but see how it could get really annoying after awhile. He was definitely out of his element being on the other side of the wormwhole

Dr. Weir is an enigma to me. She is one hot looking gal and all, and I liked how she tried hard to keep everybody focused on saving the teams life. But at the same time she did come across as more than a@@ then perhaps she needed to be, but then again I'm not the leader of an expedition to another galaxy.

Dr. Beckett is quickly becoming my favorite character behind Major Sheppard. That clilng-on line and the look on his face after he realizes what he said is priceless. Major Sheppards reaction was pretty good to.

Overall an excellent episode and one I intend to watch again that's for sure. Stargate Atlantis is becoming a show I look forward to watching on Friday nights. Including SG1 of course
                          Dr. McKay "You need to get out more."
                          Dr. Beckett "We're in another galaxy, how much more out can you get!?"

Comment

The gate didn't pull the ship in because enough of it wasn't in yet. We've seen people enter the event horizon at less than half-mass and come back (the Teal'c/Kawalski fight, "holding the door open"), and we've seen more than half-mass go in and then get pulled (the corpse of Apophis, Daniel in the movie). So, we can conclude that less than half of the jumper's mass was past the threshold.

Comment

Seems like Murphy's Law is in full effect on both series.
                              Gotta admit that, heh.

Comment

I like any episode that deals with the gate itself (eg Solitudes, 48 Hours),
                                not that I understand any of the physics supposedly behind it. I just try
                                to take everything pretty much at face value, because you can drive yourself
                                crazy by trying to resolve every little inconsistency and plot-hole!

I thought Weir handpicked everyone. And wouldn't there have been psych
                                evaluations? I didn't like Cavanaugh at all -well I guess we're not supposed to
                                - he turned out to be wrong anyway and then came up with the most obvious
                                answer - so he won't be any great loss, but I'm afraid he'll be back to make life
                                hell for everyone at Atlantis.

Other than McKay, none of the other major players do anything for me yet.
                                But I realize that it'll take some time for the actors to get a handle on their
                                characters. [Having now watched all of SG-1, there are moments in
                                season one when I wish he/she hadn't done it that way.]

Oh, and can we please lose Halling? Well at least we didn't see Jinto!

Comment

Working...
                                X